Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Everything's going to be fine. 'Kay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
God.

I think I'm starting to get why people hate this game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd seen the "nappy time" scene before, and knowing the context of the characters (and that Lymle is the dumb "older than she looks" trope) does not make it any better.

I do think Edge no-selling Welch's dumb anime references is kinda funny though

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

Same

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, that took a nose dive off a cliff.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sum Gai posted:

I'll say that while the writing hasn't really been great, or even adequate, it at least hasn't been scorching me like acid, yet. Curious to see how that'll change.

the game would like to announce: what can we say, except you're welcome

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

the most relatable personality trait our protagonist has shown us so far, imo

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

SatansOnion posted:

the most relatable personality trait our protagonist has shown us so far, imo

Edge is absolutely the most normal/relatable playable character (make of that what you will.)

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 14 - We are the UFO

Last time, the Calnus was sucked into a blackhole, and ended up above a familiar blue planet.

Click here to see the aftermath of their landing.

We cut back inside the Calnus.

"Yes...I think..."

"That was fun! It was all, "zap!" "boom!", 'kay?"

"What are we going to do with you, Lymle?"

"We were definitely caught in the black hole...Did we escape from its event horizon, then?"

Now Playing - Welcome to the Darkness

Edge and Reimi take notice of something as Bacchus rambles.

"In any event, the fact that we escaped at all can only be called a miracle."

"Impossible..."

"No, I'm certain my analysis is correct."

"No way..."

"Miss Reimi, you doubt me as well?"

"This is..."

Cut.

"Yes. The results are the same every time I check. The stellar coordinates are an almost perfect match. There's no question that this planet is Earth."

"I see..."

"I don't think it's so much unhappiness as it is bewilderment."

"Indeed. Arriving at one's home planet under such strange circumstances would put anyone ill at ease."

"That's not the whole problem."

"This isn't the most flattering part of our planet's history, but...A little before Reimi and I were born...the worst war in all of Earth's history occurred. The result was that the surface of the planet became terribly contaminated, and humans had no choice but to go deep underground. It's been the same situation ever since we were born. The polluted environment still hasn't improved. Of course, that was the very reason we looked to space."

"Well, it's not quite accurate to say none at all. But it's still an environment in which humans could live."

"Indeed...The fact that something you took for granted suddenly no longer applies is somewhat troubling."

"And there's another thing. The organization we belong to, the USTA...I can't get through to headquarters."

"Hmm...Mysterious issues, all. Something unexpected may have happened here in your absence."

"Everyone stop standing around and being all weird, 'kay? Let's go out. I wanna see Edgie and Reirei's home."

"What? Uh...umm...You see, Lymle-"

"...All right."

"Edge?"

"The air outside seems breathable. I'm going out there to take a look. See if we can't find someone."

"In that case, I shall join you."

"And I as well. As a scientist, I am intrigued."

"Awwww...."

Lymle took all of two seconds to go back to being a nuisance. Golly.

"Don't do anything stupid, Edge."

"Don't worry, I'll make certain of it."

"Yes, you may count on me, too."

"I guess I won't have to worry if Faize and Bacchus are with you."

"Hmph!"

Thus Reimi and Lymle leave the party, as the girls need to be kept safe or some poo poo, I guess. Why we need people to babysit the Calnus now but left it unprotected on Cardianon is beyond me. Well, I know the REAL reason...

Now Playing - Next Stop Nowhere

"You know, Edge, you told me Earth was covered by a deep sea..."

"It is mostly water, Faize, we've been over this."

"Yes, but this isn't anything like you described. This looks like dead desert land, not something "nurtured by sweet, verdant breezes"."

"The scans demonstrated that there is much of such desert terrain on the planet, as well as temperate grasslands, frigid hinterlands, polar regions, and dense jungles. It seems to be a very diverse biosphere."

"That is NOTHING like Edge told me!"

"Okay, okay, I suck at describing things, give me a break..."

This is the only place to go inside in the area, and once inside we get a scene.

Click here to learn when we are.

"It sure is. And has been for some time, from the looks of things."

"For now, let's split up and see what we can uncover. Report if you find anything."

Now Playing - Welcome to the Darkness

That's right, off-brand Time Magazine.

"...!?"

Edge dusts off the magazine, but it isn't any more legible to us viewers.

"What..? This can't be..."

Cut.

Now Playing - Dreams Frozen in Amber

"I suppose that's not particularly important, but..."

"Well, don't jump to conclusions, Faize. If nothing else, I just figured out when we are."

"If I remember my history, the first practical hydrogen bomb on Earth was developed in 1954."

Which was the Bikini Atoll nuclear test.

"The Earth of 150 years ago? That...that's not even possible..."

"I'm not so certain, Mr. Faize."

"Wha? Even you, Bacchus?"

"Mr. Edge. A short time ago I intercepted some radio waves, albeit weak ones."

"Radio waves...Like, old broadcast radio?"

"The transmission was as follows:"

That's the launch of Sputnik-1.

""This unfortunate occurrence has prompted the President to announce new plans for manned rocket missions, promising to put men in space before our rivals..." Mr. Edge, how would you interpret this information?"

"Anyone who's ever dreamed of going into outer space knows the story. The first successful launch of a man-made satellite was..."

"Honestly, I can't believe it...but with this much evidence piling up, I guess we have no choice but to face reality. The planet we made our emergency landing on may be Earth, but it's an Earth from almost 150 years in the past."

"An error in mid-warp that can cause a ship to end up in another time entirely...?"

"No, this situation is somewhat different. That was brought about by the distortion caused by warping within the space-time continuum. The dangers associated with it are nothing more than arriving earlier or later on the standard temporal axis. If the theory we're positing here is true, it would be time regression. And such a thing is absolutely not possible...Though with the situation as it is, I hesitate to apply the term "absolutely"..."

"Hmm. If we post that time regression has indeed occurred...It would mean we're now located in a space topologically distinct from that in which we were previously. In the current situation, I do not yet have enough information to say whether such a thing is even possible...But if the reality is that we now stand upon the past Earth, we have no choice but to accept it as fact."

"So let me get this straight...We've been transported to the Earth of 150 years in the past. And we currently have no way of getting back...right?"

"If this truly is the Earth of another time, then yes. I'm afraid there is nothing we an do to return."

"Hmmm...The only thing I can say for certain is this: It's pointless to keep standing around here. Let's return to the Calnus and review the situation together. Then we can decide what to do."

A noise is heard outside.

We cut outside.

Now Playing - Dark Heart, Dark Mind

Our party runs for cover behind the gas station.

"They're quite well-regulated. I suppose they must be soldiers of some sort."

"Even so, they've arrived much too quickly. They must have a base of operations nearby."

"It would seem this was more than just a ghost town."

"This isn't "let's swap theories" time! Reimi and Lymle are still inside!"

"...Who are you? You refer to us as "extraterrestrials" quite casually."

"...Are you with those soldiers over there? What do you people want from us?"

The game won't point it out here, but we've heard the name Bachtein before. Trillas Bachtein, the pioneer of warp technology on Earth.

"..."

Everyone relaxes.

"I must request an explanation. On what grounds should we consider you to be our friend?"

"Fair enough. But first, we must find a better place to talk. You'll all be found if we stay here."

"Come with me. I'll give you the details there."

"We must keep in mind that this may be a trap."

"...Or he might really want to help us. If nothing else, he presented himself to us unarmed. Besides..."

"...Thank you."

"Yes, I am truly no match for him."

Indeed, you cannot hope to match Edge's levels of naivety, Faize.

The scene ends on that note. We can move around, but there's nowhere to go but Klaus' house. Trying to go near the Calnus just has Faize warn us not to get any closer.

Click here to hear what Klaus has to say.

"Lymle!?"

"Good grief. Please don't scare us like that. For a moment, I thought it really was a trap."

"But still...What are you doing here, Lymle?"

:sigh:

"...What exactly happened, Lymle?"

"...Allow me to explain."

Brief cut.

"But...Lymle. Reimi was captured trying to protect you."

"I'm sorry...I was a bad girl, and now Reirei's gone..."

"W-well, I suppose there's little point in scolding you after the fact."

"But..."

"If you're truly sorry about what happened, that's more than enough. Not even Reimi would be angry with you, Lymle."

"Edgie..."

"Besides, I'm partially responsible for this myself. It was a mistake to split us up under conditions like these."

Indeed, one might consider it a contrivance to create a scenario in which girl.jpg is a damsel we must rescue...

"...What do you mean?"

"We'll pretend that I've apprehended you, and that I'm bringing you in. That should allow us to get inside without causing too much fuss."

"I see. Yes, that would certainly allow us to avoid unnecessary trouble. But one question remains."

"...Which is?"

"..."

"Forgive me, but you're far too knowledgeable about what's happening here."

"...You have every right to doubt me. But even so, I want to help you..."

"All right. In that case, I'll leave our method of entry into the base to you, Klaus."

"Edge!?"

"Klaus saved Lymle, after all. And Lymle isn't the kind of girl who would get this close to someone who couldn't be trusted."

Putting a lot of faith in a mental six year old's judgement here.

"Like I said, he came to us unarmed, and he turned his back on us without hesitation."

"It would appear you have lost again, Mr. Faize."

"...So it would appear, indeed."

"...Thank you."

"I was involved with research into a certain field. My field was...extraterrestrials, and the supertechnology they brought with them."

"Mr. Bachtein, are you implying that the existence of extraterrestrials is known on this planet?"

"Well, not by the public, of course. And that's exactly why the researchers must be having trouble controlling their excitement right about now."

"Why would that be?"

"It's not very often they get their hands on an unscathed ship like your Calnus...not to mention uninjured extraterrestrials. If they can understand your technology and make it their own, these people who once struggled in obscurity can suddenly become heroes. Two birds with one stone: Your supertechnology, their fame."

Klaus slams his hands on the table and gets up.

Now Playing - Cosmic Voyagers (Spring Wind Mix)

"We need to catch up with you on our own, through our own abilities. To be honest, our species just isn't ready for your technology. So once you've rescued your friend, I want you to leave this planet as soon as possible."

"...I see."

"Actually, there's one other thing I need to ask."

"There are extraterrestrials on Earth other than us?"

"Yes, a young girl named Meracle."

A cat's meow is heard.

Lymle attempts to chase the cat, but fails miserably.

"You have my word. We'll do our best to get her home."

The scene ends, Lymle rejoins the party, and we're free to move.

Join me next time, where we invade the secret base.

I hope you like catgirl memes!

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Ah, we're getting to the cringe I was anticipating. Although it's entirely possible my dusty memories are making it out to be worse than it actually was.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Ah, we're getting to the cringe I was anticipating. Although it's entirely possible my dusty memories are making it out to be worse than it actually was.

I hate how I remember cringe, then forget about different possibly worse cringe until Meracle was mentioned.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
It seriously is insane to me how wildly we're hopping from locale to locale and crisis to crisis, nothing seems to ever just get a moment to... stew, to develop.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I can't believe we're going to infiltrate Area 51 to rescue girl.jpg and a catgirl

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I remember this set-up, and my first thought was "So, the Multiverse is a thing?" and moved on.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Of all this game's many, many sins, the most irritating might be how comically desperate it is to convince you that Edge Maverick is cool

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Klaus has some kind of knock off statue of liberty.

The lighting on certain objects in that last movie makes stuff look like some kind of gold tinfoil.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

megane posted:

Of all this game's many, many sins, the most irritating might be how comically desperate it is to convince you that Edge Maverick is cool

Oh man, exactly this. It's going to get so bad as we go on.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Klaus has some kind of knock off statue of liberty.

I didn't even notice the arms were the wrong way around until you pointed it out.

Although there is a sort of explanation for this that we will eventually learn.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Odd Wilson posted:

I can't believe we're going to infiltrate Area 51 to rescue girl.jpg and a catgirl

I'm glad the episode of DS9 where they went back to Area 51 on a plot contrivance did not include a catgirl.

They could have avoided the whole rescuing girl.jpg thing by having Lymle (and wtf kind of name is Lymle) derp her way out of the ship, get surprised by the soldiers, the player gets control of Edge and has to go around the ship trying to find her and get into optional conversations with everybody else, he goes outside the ship and finds Reimi putting herself between Lymle and the soldiers, and the soldiers capture her instead, leaving Lymle to derp about how derpy she is once Edge finds her. Klaus shows up, maybe doesn't immediately let all on that he's with Area 51, and we go through the whole "nukes are bad" plot tangent before deciding to go rescue Reimi with Klaus' help.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Odd Wilson posted:

We better be Naruto running the whole time.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

What...what would be the chances that us infiltrating the base will result in the nuclear apocalypse completing the time loop? It's 100% isn't it?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It was at this point in Wateyad's LP that I really started to loving lose it with this game, I think

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Klaus' VA is so bad, Jesus. Did they record it with a tin can on a string? And tell him to be sure not to emote at all, even when he was ranting about humanity destroying itself?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

PurpleXVI posted:

It seriously is insane to me how wildly we're hopping from locale to locale and crisis to crisis, nothing seems to ever just get a moment to... stew, to develop.

Yeah, it's like random episodes of very abbreviated Star Trek.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 15 - Ni Hao Nyan

"Captain's Log, Space Date...well, it's technically 1957 A.D. right now.

We have been transported to Earth's past by a black hole. We went to explore, leaving Reimi and Lymle on the ship, but local soldiers showed up to capture the Calnus, and Reimi with it. Lymle left before the soldiers arrived, having been sheltered by Klaus Bachtein, a sympathetic local.

Klaus has a plan to get us inside the local military base to rescue Reimi. He also wants us to save another alien, called Meracle. Apparently she's a cat girl. If my history is correct, that was the wet dream of many Japanese men from around the turn of the 21st Century."

Our objective is to head for a secret entrance to the base, but there's quite a bit to do before we go there.

Click here for some side content on 1957 Earth.

To summarize: Edge talks to a cat, Lymle has backwards ideas about refrigerators, and Bacchus cannot sing.

Moving on...

Click here to see how we get into the secret base.

"There's a phone up ahead. Head over there."

"Bacchie!? Bacchie disappeared!"

"It's optical camouflage."

"Incredible...to think such advanced technology has been perfected..."

"I'll feel much safer indeed with Bacchus watching our backs."

"No kidding."

"Excuse me for just a moment. I need to call in."

Klaus dials a number.

"I'm serious. Not being able to work convinced me that you were right."

"Sounds that way to me."

"I've brought a little something we can sue to continue our research together. That's right. I'd like permission to enter. A03. Understood. Get the entrance, would you?"

That's Lymle.

"Getting in alone would have been difficult indeed."

The scene ends there, giving us one last chance to do whatever we need to do.

But we're going straight in.

Click here to see the gang get a nice, polite welcome to the secret base.

Now Playing - Dark Heart, Dark Mind

Those are some very un-American looking patches on their arms.

Sunglasses Soldier: "Certainly not, sir. Our sublime director continues her research for the sake of her country."

"...I see you people haven't changed, either. This technology is beyond your understanding..."

Sunglasses Soldier: "I knew you would return, Professor. And hell, three more extraterrestrials? You're on a roll, huh?"

Sunglasses Soldier: "Sure are some human lookin' aliens, though. You aren't trying to pull a fast one on us with some fancy dresses, right?"

"No, just look at the green haired one's ears. Clear sign of being an alien."

As Klaus converses with Edge, one of the soldiers struggles to push Lymle into the nearby cell.

"All right."

"There is one problem. This facility houses highly dangerous, experimental creatures. With the locks released, they'll be able to get out as well..."

"Don't worry about us. We may not look it, but we've been through a lot worse."

The soldier seems to notice Klaus and Edge conversing, or at least that Edge hasn't gone into the cell yet.

Soldier: "What the...?"

"You too."

Lymle sticks her tongue out at them, and the door closes, ending the scene.

We're free to talk to our party. They don't have anything overly interesting to say. You just have to keep talking until the alarm sounds.

Intercom: "All holding room locks have been released. Test subjects may have escaped. All staff, shift to alert level A."

Intercom: "I repeat. Emergency alert. Emergency alert..."

"Oh, my. "Test subjects may have escaped," huh?"

"Well, in that case, let's not disappoint them. Bacchus!"

We cut to elsewhere.

"You're a little late...Think of all you've done...You knew this would happen...When you play with forces stronger than yourself...you...get bitten..."

The soldier kicks Klaus hard enough to send his glasses flying.

Now Playing - Whistle on the Wind (Tearful Mix)

The scene ends...

Now Playing - State of Emergency

And we're free to move.

The sole unique enemy here is literally called a "Little Alien". They're annoying little bastards that will pepper you with ranged blast attacks, often interrupting combos and blindsides.

The other one is Bigfoot Sam, a pallet swap of the ape enemies from Lemuris. They now throw electro balls instead of ice balls.

And those ones in the middle are called Soldier Zombies. Their in game description clarifies they are human experiments. They can poison you, but they're otherwise the weakest enemy here.

Once we proceed far enough into the base, we'll engage a cutscene.

Click here to see Meracle for yourself.

"Whoa!"

Now Playing - Walking on Air

Oh joy, time to address Meracle and her ridiculous outfit.

For starters, Meracle is 16. It's not the worst age she could be, but regardless of what age she is, her outfit is an abomination, and worse yet she doesn't really give the impression of being 16. Suffice to say the only saving grace is that she isn't an actual child, in the most damning of faint praises.

Perhaps almost as bad as her godawful outfit is that, naturally, Last Hope makes being a catgirl her entire personality. She will make meow puns and say meow at the end of sentences. She will never waste a moment to remind you she is a catgirl.

She runs away screaming. Geddit? Because she's a scaredy cat. :rimshot:

"Do you think she's the girl Klaus was talking about?"

"I'd say so. She does fir the description."

"She must have believed us to be her enemies. Hmm...This is not a desirable situation, Mr. Edge."

"Yeah, this hallway is crawling with those test subjects. She'll be in serious danger if we don't protect her!"

"Let's follow!"

And the scene ends with us chasing after her, giving us free reign once again.

Make sure to grab this before continuing. The Earth Ring isn't necessary to any puzzles, but it will be used to unlock new areas, treasure chests and the like. You will have another opportunity to get it, but only much later in the game.

Anyway, just continue on down the linear corridors to get another cutscene.

Click here for today's boss fight.

Now Playing - The Eleventh Hour

Meracle dodges the beasts attacks. Deftly and acrobatically...because she's like a cat. :rimshot:

Meracle suddenly sees Edge in a very bright light. Golly, I wonder where they're going with this?

Genomic Beast isn't too hard of a boss. One unique feature of it is that you can't attack it properly from behind, as the tail will do damage to anyone coming from that direction. Blindsides are thus harder to utilize. The boss will also cause paralysis on occasion.

I got real lucky, ending that fight with an intact bonus board.

"...Meracle?"

"...?"

Now Playing - Good Morning, Miss Vineyard

You know you're in for a bad time when Welch's theme starts playing.

"My name is Meracle Chamlotte. Who are you?"

"E-Edge Maverick."

"I'm Lym!"

"Bacchus D-79."

"That was also for rescuing me!...? Just my imagination? Why do you all smell like the Professor?"

"The Professor? You mean Klaus, right?"

"Yeah! Oh, you must be the Professor's friends! Is he doing okay?"

"Well, actually, Klaus asked us to take you back to your home planet."

"We're extraterrestrials, too. You can trust us."

"Like he said. Come with us."

"You don't know...what planet you were born on?"

"Nope. The first thing I can remember is being on a spaceship I'd never seen before."

"...Wait. So you mean you were stowing away, then?"

"That's what they seemed to think. But they were all so nice to me. But then..."

Now Playing - Whistle on the Wind (Tearful Mix)

Golly, what a coinkydink.

"They all helped me get out of there before even thinking about their own safety...They were all such good people..."

"Merry..."

"Anyway, do you know if the Professor's here?"

"Mr. Bachtein brought us inside this base. However, we parted ways with him on the way here."

"I imagine he's still inside the base."

"Then take the Professor into space with you, too!"

"Take Klaus?"

"I got caught when my escape pod crashed on this planet. They locked me up and did all kinds of experiments on me. But the Professor was nice to me, so...I don't want to leave him here!"

"Well...I can't make a decision for Klaus. We'll have to find out what he wants. Anyway, Reimi is priority one right now. We have to save her."

"If you're looking for someone, let me help you. You helped me, after all!"

"Huh? No, you don't ha-"

"Let's go! Meow!"

"Meow!"

Everyone awkwardly moves on, the scene ends, and Meracle is now a party member. Just like Lymle, she's here to stay. Forever!

Join me next time, when Edge competes for the title of "Galaxy's Biggest Fucky Wucky".

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 25, 2023

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

The only saving grace is that at least Motoi Sakuraba knows how to compose really good tunes (seriously, do take a listen), even if he is prone to reusing his own stuff.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I deadass forgot this was a character

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't this. I can only wonder when this... rollercoaster will end.

Regallion posted:

The only saving grace is that at least Motoi Sakuraba knows how to compose really good tunes (seriously, do take a listen), even if he is prone to reusing his own stuff.

The man loves his rock organs and strings, perhaps too much, but he knows how to make 'em sing when it counts.

...This boss theme definitely reminds me of some of Valkyrie Profile 2's combat themes though, to put the case in point.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
there is exactly one good catgirl in any media i have encountered, and it is Octopath Traveler 2's Ochette, because unlike all other catgirls in media she possesses the one true cat trait: "I Have Never Been Fed, Not Once, It Is Food Time Now Yes"

every character gets a voice line when you set off their limit break technique: the edgy swordsman gasps as a dark power suffuses him, the inquisitor makes a wry little quip about how they're going to tell him what they know, the apothecary says she has a talent for making do, and Ochette screams "I'M STARVING" before everything in front of her dies

i mention this as proof you CAN make Meracle work as a character. Star Ocean 4 does not accomplish this goal.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

meow

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

meouch

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

It's going to get even stupider, isn't it.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

I brought my Drake posted:

You even need to ask? You've seen what the game has to offer so far

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
When what I assume Sunglasses soldier blinks, the light reflection on his glasses also blink, so the guy has lights for eyes.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

I brought my Drake posted:

IthilionTheBrave posted:

You even need to ask? You've seen what the game has to offer so far

Ah, but if you don't know what's coming next, you are not prepared for just how far we're going to plummet into stupidity.

On a side note, I want to announce my undying hatred for the concept of grinding for crafting materials. I should not have to kill 100s of enemies just to get one loving item.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Regallion posted:

One of the crimes that made me skip the game before hearing about all the rest of the crimes the game commits was not reusing Mission into Deep Space.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This isn't the first time I've seen Meracle, but I must be really desensitized to anime bullshit because I am just noticing how ridiculous her outfit looks. I don't mind catgirls too often if only because they're so common and they've already set a precedent as being a thing in this series, but gently caress me Tri-Ace, have some goddamn decency! This character design makes fifteen year old Rikku from Final Fantasy X in her short shorts look like an abstinence only purity ring type character!

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Yeah, wow, everything about Meracle is terrible. I was waiting for it to get much worse and in that sense it did not disappoint.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Sum Gai posted:

Yeah, wow, everything about Meracle is terrible. I was waiting for it to get much worse and in that sense it did not disappoint.

Everything except her damage output; sadly, she's one of the top three damage dealers in the game. And you have no idea how much I wish it were otherwise. :shepicide:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I hate everything about Meracle.

But I still hate Lym more. Every line of dialogue makes me itch to slap her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shitenshi posted:

This isn't the first time I've seen Meracle, but I must be really desensitized to anime bullshit because I am just noticing how ridiculous her outfit looks. I don't mind catgirls too often if only because they're so common and they've already set a precedent as being a thing in this series, but gently caress me Tri-Ace, have some goddamn decency! This character design makes fifteen year old Rikku from Final Fantasy X in her short shorts look like an abstinence only purity ring type character!
Wasn't her outfit in X-2 even skimpier? Still not as bad as... whatever Meracle has going on, but she was like wearing a bikini and not much more in X-2. Pericci is a bit more cat than Meracle is, having the Felicia hand and foot paws, and even she's wearing more clothes!

Anyways, the problem isn't even just that it's not covering a whole lot of her, I've seen some teenagers wearing poo poo that made me uncomfortable even looking in their direction because I might get arrested, but Meracle's outfit is pretty stupid-looking on top of that.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 1, 2023