Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm going by what Maxroll is recommending at this point. I think particularly for higher GR levels, you have to factor in the huge toughness buff from Guardians and the additional squishiness factor from Squirts also. It's trivial to craft both and test them out, but I've found at around 1250ish paragon that Guardians is still a pretty huge advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

what is the most non-clunky feeling speed GR build for wizard? Tal's is powerful but I haven't found a smooth feeling version for speeds. I'm talking GR90+ just to farm forgotten souls and primals mostly. That's my big choke point that's preventing me from getting gear upgrades. My main gems are 140ish and I've done a 149...So close. I can do 125s with tals in about 3-4 min but wondering if there's a better and speedier option.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

what is the most non-clunky feeling speed GR build for wizard? Tal's is powerful but I haven't found a smooth feeling version for speeds. I'm talking GR90+ just to farm forgotten souls and primals mostly. That's my big choke point that's preventing me from getting gear upgrades. My main gems are 140ish and I've done a 149...So close. I can do 125s with tals in about 3-4 min but wondering if there's a better and speedier option.

Have you tried the TP Meteors build? You pretty much just spam teleport and that triggers meteors all over the place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can do In-Geom Tal's or just regular old Hydra with Aether Walker in the cube. Replace Deflection with Conduit.

Internet Alias
Dec 5, 2005
Mirrors are more fun than television.

Suburban Dad posted:

125+ in 3-4 IS speed tal’s. Get those gons, the souls will come along the way

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The In-Geom build is good for at least 110 in under 3 mins with all ancient Tals and augments. Probably under 2 if you're any good, which I am not.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Even with ingeom (mine is only 8 seconds) tp feels clunky with whatever internal cool down exists. Can't just raid fire tele everywhere and that's annoying. It can still do 115s in 2-3 min which I'm not sure is much of an improvement or not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You'll easily hit perma TP just by picking up Evocation as a passive and slotting in a diamond for your helm.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
What's a fun/lazy build for console/controller? Haven't played enough on Switch.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

What's a fun/lazy build for console/controller? Haven't played enough on Switch.

WW barb, every time

Thanks tea, will try that.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Suburban Dad posted:

WW barb, every time

Thanks, that was my first instinct too. Is there a close second? I played a shitload of WW on PC and even lucked into one of the weapons as the free primal one season.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I forgot which monk set it was, sunwuko maybe? Which ever one has the sweeping winds and tempest rush bonuses, you just hold down tempest rush and haul rear end everywhere and mow down everything.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

savage frenzy barb is also simple, so is akkhan + invoker bomb crusader

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Love Frenzy Barb. Just scream and furiously pound on things until dead.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

You'll easily hit perma TP just by picking up Evocation as a passive and slotting in a diamond for your helm.

Even with this if you "miss" your TP to somewhere you can't teleport, it then does some additional cooldown that ingeom can't do poo poo about. That's what is feeling clunky I think because if you're targeting a mob it'll tele 100x on top of them but if you misclick and try to go past a wall without the door open, etc. then it restarts a couple second cooldown for some dumb reason.

exquisite tea posted:

Love Frenzy Barb. Just scream and furiously pound on things until dead.

Frenzy feels a little clunky on console because you'll attack in place and move a tiny bit if you're holding down the frenzy button. I don't know that they ever fixed that since it released.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Grinding out primals is just grifting 90+ til my eyes bleed right?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Here are some options for not WW for vatious definitions of lazy:

Patterns of Justice PoJ Tempest Rush Monk Guide
Inna Mystic Ally Monk Guide
Sunwuko Wave of Light Monk Guide

GoD Hungering Arrow Demon Hunter Guide
UE Multishot Demon Hunter Guide

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Never before, never again.

Definitely my highest paragon in season ever and by far highest clear (127 I think prior to this). My non-season paragon is 1631, lol. Great season that kept me playing longer than ever.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How many attempts did that take? I am casual AF and deciding if I want to try and get 150. Currently at a 12 minute 147 clear.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

bamhand posted:

How many attempts did that take? I am casual AF and deciding if I want to try and get 150. Currently at a 12 minute 147 clear.

I started really struggling around 146-148. I think I even posted about it and almost gave up. Around then I kitted out the templar (was using enchantress before) with a spare barb to reroll junk to get him to 25k strength (his heals are super helpful and load him up with cdr so he can heal more). Then I switched to black hole for more damage because it seemed like I was always struggling to kill stuff in time. Last change was another augment at the expense of a little area damage on my gloves. There's only 3 pieces that aren't ancient on my dude at that point.

148 and 149 I fished until I had an outdoor map and if so it only took 1-5 tries. It just depends on getting good pylons and decent monsters. I wasn't picky on monsters for the most part because I don't know what's really ideal but I know which ones I hate (ghosts and tongue lashers, spear throwers). I did the same for 150. I started with about 20 or 30 keys today when I pushed for 150 and found a good map on my second outdoor map. The first had tongue lashers and I they always wreck me so I skipped. The pylons were decent with a conduit taking out about 3-4 packs and a power helping with another 2-3. I almost left because the 2nd floor was the path to azmodan type area that usually sucks but there were a lot of elites and pylons there, luckily. I had 2:30 left for the RG so I knew it was GG at that point. It was sand shaper so there was never really any danger.

I'm also fairly casual. Usually I do 6-800 paragon in a season and finish the journey and that's about it. Speeds are much more my jam generally. This feels pretty satisfying too I guess even though it's fairly easy this season.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The push to GR150 makes you hate those loving winged assassin lacuni rifts more than anything else in the game.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The homing fireball succubi are another I hate.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Suburban Dad posted:

Even with ingeom (mine is only 8 seconds) tp feels clunky with whatever internal cool down exists. Can't just raid fire tele everywhere and that's annoying. It can still do 115s in 2-3 min which I'm not sure is much of an improvement or not.

Reroll it till you get 10. None of the other stats matter THAT much for farming. I think a demon Hunter or something has a better chance upgrading rares in the cube so you could do that then just roll the dex to int to save some mats

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

Never before, never again.

Definitely my highest paragon in season ever and by far highest clear (127 I think prior to this). My non-season paragon is 1631, lol. Great season that kept me playing longer than ever.

Should have waited one second for 13:37.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Suburban Dad posted:

I started really struggling around 146-148. I think I even posted about it and almost gave up. Around then I kitted out the templar (was using enchantress before) with a spare barb to reroll junk to get him to 25k strength (his heals are super helpful and load him up with cdr so he can heal more). Then I switched to black hole for more damage because it seemed like I was always struggling to kill stuff in time. Last change was another augment at the expense of a little area damage on my gloves. There's only 3 pieces that aren't ancient on my dude at that point.

Holy hell, I'm all ancient and augmented except for rings and amulet (when I'm running squirts up top anyway) and I don't know that I could clear a 140 on a good rift before the timer ends ATM. I think I've topped out around 135-136 so far.

I probably need to look at getting more crit and cold damage rolled on, because it definitely feels more like a case of "poo poo is taking too long to die" than "I'm too squishy".

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

Holy hell, I'm all ancient and augmented except for rings and amulet (when I'm running squirts up top anyway) and I don't know that I could clear a 140 on a good rift before the timer ends ATM. I think I've topped out around 135-136 so far.

I probably need to look at getting more crit and cold damage rolled on, because it definitely feels more like a case of "poo poo is taking too long to die" than "I'm too squishy".

I did every rift in one try up to about 144. No fishing, just open and go. Post your profile or d3 planner. Sometimes non ancient with better rolls are better than ancient with a bad orange roll.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
https://maxroll.gg/d3/d3planner/829041472

So I have two alternate setups there - one's using squirts, w/ Aughilds, the other's using Tals with Pauldrons of the SK and Guardians. RoRG in the cube for both.

Maxroll reckons the Guardians build is good for about 3M dmg/ 1.17B effective DPS, vs about 2.4M dmg or 774M effective dps for Aughilds. Dunno if it's failing to account for something or other, but I definitely felt a fair bit stronger and tougher after the switch to Guardians.

Looking at the base states for crit, area dmg etc it does look like I've done a better job of optimising rolls on the guardians set so I might play with that a bit. I also have an ancient squirts with decent crit rolls on my DH that I can chuck over if need be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Aughilds is unquestionably the superior version for Tal’s. Do not look at sheet damage when comparing builds, as there are many multipliers that may not be included in DPS calculations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Your squirts is pretty rough. Find another if you can. Reroll vit off COE for crit or find a double crit one and add area damage. Craft bracers with crit. Area damage on your weapon. You should be shooting for 110+AD.

I didn't even look at your non-augilds version. Do a couple rounds of bounties to craft and reforge stuff IMO.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 1, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This game is in a great place. It’s a shame they probably aren’t going to add things anymore

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Mr Scumbag posted:

These are all good recommendations, as is the whirlybarb. Here are some other "lazy" builds I've really enjoyed on console that don't require terribly-precise aiming: IK HotA Barb, Akkhan Bombardment Sader, Trag'Oul Death Nova Necro, Mundunugu Spirit Barrage WD, Typhon's Hydra Wizard.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Suburban Dad posted:

Your squirts is pretty rough. Find another if you can. Reroll vit off COE for crit or find a double crit one and add area damage. Craft bracers with crit. Area damage on your weapon. You should be shooting for 110+AD.

I didn't even look at your non-augilds version. Do a couple rounds of bounties to craft and reforge stuff IMO.

I noticed a couple of these things between posting and coming back to the thread - CoE and Squirts are a lot more sorted since.

Area damage is something I could definitely use more of, so I'll find room for it. Bracers could def use some work I agree - I only just switched back to them from guardians so will get on it. Cheers:)

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
e: wrong thread

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 1, 2023

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

d4 beta was good enough that I picked up D3 again to scratch the itch. Last played during Season 4, so uh, an absolutely insane amount of power creep since then.

Loving the altar, extra follower equip options, and the hydra set. Chilling around gr 50 and remembering just how smooth the game was, even though I miss the d1/d2 vibe.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
How do I choose weapons regarding dps vs Intelligence (I'm a necromancer). Is the attack damage number on my character screen already accounting for int, meaning I should just pick whatever makes that highest?

Also lol so goddamn lost reading about d3, its like another language. Guides talking about how to hit 70 in minutes and poo poo, and I'm hours in at lvl 26 just using whatever items and skills on normal +0%. Did a few bounties and nephalem rifts because I was bored of story mode. I figured playing though story would reacquaint me with the game. Starting to feel like it's a waste of time though, and the guides said bounties are a waste of time solo but I don't even remember how to make a great rift so I must not be ready for that yet.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Assuming it's not a legendary weapon with skill bonuses, just choose the one that makes your character sheet number as big as possible. This is the way to go like 99% of the time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You won’t be able to hit 70 in under an hour on your first character solo

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The build guides for both D2 and D3 are deranged from a new player perspective. "Zero stats in energy", "the game doesn't exist before 70 which you'll hit in minutes", etc

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BRJurgis posted:

How do I choose weapons regarding dps vs Intelligence (I'm a necromancer). Is the attack damage number on my character screen already accounting for int, meaning I should just pick whatever makes that highest?

Also lol so goddamn lost reading about d3, its like another language. Guides talking about how to hit 70 in minutes and poo poo, and I'm hours in at lvl 26 just using whatever items and skills on normal +0%. Did a few bounties and nephalem rifts because I was bored of story mode. I figured playing though story would reacquaint me with the game. Starting to feel like it's a waste of time though, and the guides said bounties are a waste of time solo but I don't even remember how to make a great rift so I must not be ready for that yet.

My advice for a first-time ever D3 player trying to hit level 70 in seasons would just be to level in regular rifts, in adventure mode. It's a little slower than some other methods, but straightforward and intuitive. If you're not playing on seasons right now (i.e. the little green leaf) then I would switch as there's a lot of fun stuff unlockable through this season's altar gimmick and you get a free starter set just for completing the journey. If you haven't done this week's Challenge Rift yet, then you can get a whole bunch of crafting mats right at the start to make leveling as painless as possible.

Int is factored into your sheet DPS, although most legendary mods and set bonuses are not. For leveling you just want to choose the biggest 2H option available most of the time until you hit 70.

Once you hit max level I'd just look at "S28 Necro" on Maxroll or icy-veins and find a build that looks cool. People who say "bing bong D3 so simple" have been playing the game for literally a decade and already know what all the correct set/item/skill combinations are, but following a guide will greatly help you simplify the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My advice for a brand new player is to just play out the campaign exactly once. Do it with a seasonal character if possible. Do it without any outside assistance. Do not listen to us, do not read a guide, do not engage. Play at your pace, take it all in.

After that, gently caress around in adventure mode for a bit. Do all five acts worth of bounties, try out some rifts, check out the additional locations exclusive to adventure mode, and try some greater rifts. Continue playing it all out solo. Do not listen to us, do not read a guide, do not engage. Play at your pace, take it all in.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 2, 2023