Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I tell you what I haven't missed trying to get my head round a set where half the cards have flip sides.

God there's a lot.

Are the archetype uncommons the phyrexian-mana transform-as-a-sorcery ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

thespaceinvader posted:

I tell you what I haven't missed trying to get my head round a set where half the cards have flip sides.

God there's a lot.

Are the archetype uncommons the phyrexian-mana transform-as-a-sorcery ones?

Nah there's just regular two colour uncommon signposts

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Makes sense. I'm looking forward to selesnya +1/+1 counters again.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Dumb rules question, does casting a Botanical Brawler trigger an existing Botanical Brawler? On one hand it feels like they should, but I'm not sure if ~ entering with counters is the same as the counters getting "put on." Obviously I have to reach for the die to place the counters on it, but the card never actually exists on the battlefield without them, so...

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya, something entering the battlefield with counters is an instance of putting counters on that something.

When you resolve a planeswalker with All will be One in play you get to do damage equal to that planeswalker's starting loyalty, etc.

In the rules there's a whole section of special carve-outs, mostly for ETB effects, to make them work the players intuitively understand it.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 31, 2023

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wizards sent me an email saying the new set was out for preorder but not making clear when the new set was out.

When's the new set out on Arena?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The 18th of April

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

April of the Machine

Edit: god if they don't reprint this, what a colossal blunder

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha is this playmat that looks like a dirty bar table an april fool's thing?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Khanstant posted:

haha is this playmat that looks like a dirty bar table an april fool's thing?

yes, also they replaced the default cardback with this

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
MTG Arena as Richard Garfield intended

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's very cute. Love the new and improved card back.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

President Ark posted:

yes, also they replaced the default cardback with this

i'd totally use this normally for many decks

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Khanstant posted:

i'd totally use this normally for many decks

Same, the VHS effect is also a nice touch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/e4bb406124ef43f78cbd878f9c3c268c

P1P1 The gold card and the mono-colored card were comparable in WR lol so I went with the thing that kept me in one color easier.

Turned out W seemed pretty open lol so my challenge is determining the value of of some of these cards? Spell Queller seems painless to splash but do I want to commit to more? I don't know if some of the white cards in the board might be better to swap in -- I guess I have leeway in determining how low or high my curve is with those apothecary geists lol. I was also thinking about putting in the explosives to make delirium easier to get but I have enough things that could sac lands

elbkaida posted:

I would suggest to put in Essence Flux and Silent Departure. The Puncturing Light seems like it's basically a 2 mana conditional combat trick when used offensively, think they could be cut. Strength of Arms is a better combat trick if you want one. Steadfast Cathar is pretty mediocre too.

Another 2-3, I guess this is my life now.

I think the dispiriting thing about this draft is I don't know if I can learn anything from this, if it's something where I played particularly poorly or if the deck just sputtered out.

13-11 (54.17)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

The weathered cardbacks absolutely need to be a permanent cosmetic

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2ed811a3f1784f2990508f3102962fae

Got rewarded in pack 3 with enough cards to make this feel like a contender. As with the last deck, I think I have a handle on what cards are obviously good and bad, but it's making the cuts for the middle of the pack that seem tough. I guess I want to keep the curve low and play to equipment, so the Intrepid Provisioners get benched since I have enough four-drops? A few transform cards and especially Gossipmonger makes Neglected Heirloom seem doable. Gnarlwood Dryad seems unlikely to get Delirium, though it's possible... I could replace one of the Censers perhaps. But I do have all those Priests, 3/3 vigilance + tap down on opponent's turn seems like it could be spicy... Should I play 16 lands? I also do have a mana dork so that seems likely. Theoretically I could splash black but I don't think any of the cards I picked up are worth it. Is unburial rites good in limited? seems expensive.

Edit: Hmm I guess I should play Travel Preparations? Probably better than Gryff's Boon...

Alex: "Normally you don't want reanimation spells unless you have multiple bombs, but the flashback does give value...." but it does sound better if I have self-mill which I don't. I guess Rites stays in the board

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 1, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is starter decks duels new? This is actually pretty fun, I like the balance so far. You can also see people learning and you can maybe mouse over things to help them out. You would in real life with a new player. Opponent was going to lose their creature and eater of virtue boost if they didn't equip weapon, I emoted and moused over that thing as much as I could lol.

I've just tried white black deck for a few games, lot of white removal with artifact&enchantment combo matters. Stuff is slow enough it works. This will be a cool nonmeta quest jamming deal.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

This play board is cool i hope they keep it in rotation.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2ed811a3f1784f2990508f3102962fae

Got rewarded in pack 3 with enough cards to make this feel like a contender. As with the last deck, I think I have a handle on what cards are obviously good and bad, but it's making the cuts for the middle of the pack that seem tough. I guess I want to keep the curve low and play to equipment, so the Intrepid Provisioners get benched since I have enough four-drops? A few transform cards and especially Gossipmonger makes Neglected Heirloom seem doable. Gnarlwood Dryad seems unlikely to get Delirium, though it's possible... I could replace one of the Censers perhaps. But I do have all those Priests, 3/3 vigilance + tap down on opponent's turn seems like it could be spicy... Should I play 16 lands? I also do have a mana dork so that seems likely. Theoretically I could splash black but I don't think any of the cards I picked up are worth it. Is unburial rites good in limited? seems expensive.

Edit: Hmm I guess I should play Travel Preparations? Probably better than Gryff's Boon...

Alex: "Normally you don't want reanimation spells unless you have multiple bombs, but the flashback does give value...." but it does sound better if I have self-mill which I don't. I guess Rites stays in the board

Byway Courier and Intrepid Provisioner are both really good in GW humans, you should probably play them. Censer has really bad stats, maybe two are too much? I'd cut one equipment and the guardian.

As for your earlier draft I looked at the last two losses and you just didn't draw much good stuff I guess? Especially in the mirror OP having Spell Queller + Silent Departure just completely wrecked you without drawing equivalent level cards.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

April of the Machine

Edit: god if they don't reprint this, what a colossal blunder

It's not actually an artifact set so this wouldn't do much (except turn on all incubators without needing to transform).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That new board is amazing. I love that you can eat the pepperoni of your opponent's pizza. And the chips out of their bag.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

That new board is amazing. I love that you can eat the pepperoni of your opponent's pizza. And the chips out of their bag.

And open the coke can and squish the fruit snacks and flip the tape. Good stuff.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Ben Nevis posted:

And open the coke can and squish the fruit snacks and flip the tape. Good stuff.

One thing that hearthstone has always had better than arena was more greebles to click on the boards. I appreciate them adding more.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

elbkaida posted:

Byway Courier and Intrepid Provisioner are both really good in GW humans, you should probably play them. Censer has really bad stats, maybe two are too much? I'd cut one equipment and the guardian.

As for your earlier draft I looked at the last two losses and you just didn't draw much good stuff I guess? Especially in the mirror OP having Spell Queller + Silent Departure just completely wrecked you without drawing equivalent level cards.

hmm this makes sense, it's probably results bias because i remember losing to someone who stacked two Censers on their humans. Looking at it, Guardian is probably replaceable if i consider Human synergy more than raw WR. I guess my main concern is how much topend do i want with Humans, having more 2-drops increases the chances of Gossipmonger flipping on time

Edit:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 1, 2023

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Phyrexian Vindicator defending against DOuble Strike: should it get hit twice twice?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

with only two transforming creatures, wouldn't a second censer do much more for you than an heirloom?

harvest hand is also surprisingly good in the humans deck, and id probably run it over the cultivator, who ive really been unimpressed with, especially with such a low curve

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

gently caress.... immediately punted by not using angelic purge on a Blood mist (good ol 49% wr blood mist) because I thought "oh if i use the removal on the creature and keep the board tapped down the enchantment won't do much" and of course I drew 5 lands and the opp drew 5 creatures and removal spells, i'm playing 16 lands lmao

studio mujahideen posted:

with only two transforming creatures, wouldn't a second censer do much more for you than an heirloom?

harvest hand is also surprisingly good in the humans deck, and id probably run it over the cultivator, who ive really been unimpressed with, especially with such a low curve

hmm... yeah I was kind of weighting the gossipmonger heavy on this because of the transform control, but i still have to draw it. and based on how my opponents play a spell every turn including mine i dunno if i will ever see a night flip. I forgot that the flip side of harvest hand is a Human equipment, that's worth considering i suppose!

Edit: this was the board state when I chose to use Angelic Purge on the Gorgers instead of the Mist... I guess the correct play would have been to equip censer, bite the gorgers, purge the mist

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 1, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gameplay quiz... which 2-drop do you play here lol

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Gameplay quiz... which 2-drop do you play here lol

Trick question, the monored player is going to zap the first thing you put down.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rap Game Goku posted:

One thing that hearthstone has always had better than arena was more greebles to click on the boards. I appreciate them adding more.

That and sound design in general. I can still hear HS cards in my head just seeing their names despite not having touched it in years. There's a few Arena cards with cool sounds or effects but it's pretty uncommon overall I feel.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Horace Kinch posted:

Trick question, the monored player is going to zap the first thing you put down.

Yeah i thought to test how trigger happy they would be so I played Logger, Captain, Recruiter. They were a werewolves deck and saved their Hunt for the Recruiter lol.

Following game, the worst I've been color screwed while still winning

Urgh... another gameplay thing I missed in the next game, moving over Bound by Moonsilver when, say, your opponent casts Avacyn lol

4-3, better than the 2-3s i've been putting up at least (17-14, 54.84%). And I'm probably just saying this because of wins but this feels like a better-playing set than ONE by a longshot

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 1, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

thespaceinvader posted:

Phyrexian Vindicator defending against DOuble Strike: should it get hit twice twice?

Unless there is something to stop the second hit (like Vindicator using the damage to kill said doublestriking creature) - I would think so. Does it not?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Unless there is something to stop the second hit (like Vindicator using the damage to kill said doublestriking creature) - I would think so. Does it not?

It does, but I was a little confused as to why at the time - it seems a little counterintuitive with the way damage normally works - because it's preventing damage, rather than taking it but not dying, presumably after firststrike, the game forgets that it's already had damage dealt to it, so in regular damage it checks what vindicator's status is, goes 'this hasn't been dealt damage yet' and you have to do it again?

I was attacking with like an 8/6 double strike trample, did three on firststrike and then was confused when it did 5, rather than 2, on normal damage. But I think I understand why.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: this was the board state when I chose to use Angelic Purge on the Gorgers instead of the Mist... I guess the correct play would have been to equip censer, bite the gorgers, purge the mist

Why would you purge the mist after that play anyway? Kill the Gorger, you have a tapper with Vigilance that can deal with their NEXT creature for free every turn. They're RB so it's unlikely the next creature is a human, and if it is human you can just move Bound in Moonsilver onto it while still tapping. You can tap whatever they target anyways so Blood Mist just doesn't matter unless they can kill the priest.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

thespaceinvader posted:

It does, but I was a little confused as to why at the time - it seems a little counterintuitive with the way damage normally works - because it's preventing damage, rather than taking it but not dying, presumably after firststrike, the game forgets that it's already had damage dealt to it, so in regular damage it checks what vindicator's status is, goes 'this hasn't been dealt damage yet' and you have to do it again?

I was attacking with like an 8/6 double strike trample, did three on firststrike and then was confused when it did 5, rather than 2, on normal damage. But I think I understand why.

That's my understanding as well. It's a bit funky, but it's to differentiate how Vindicator deals with damage vs. being indestructible - compare it to Brash Taunter, as an example, and think about which cards will kill both of them, and which cards will only kill the Vindicator.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I need to vent so just skim past this post.

This loving game sometimes. I had a SIR draft where I got both Bruna and Gisela go 2-3. I got mana screwed or color screwed four of the games and had opponents playing apparently removal.dec three of the games. The one time I saw both angels it was in a 1-lander and I was able to cast Gisela twice and she got instantly removed. gently caress you wotc, gently caress you so much. This was the biggest blue balls draft I've felt in years you mother fuckers.

I'm overall having a miserable time in SIR drafts. It never feels like my decks come together, it feels like I'm passing cards and then seeing lanes that are wide open after I'm too far committed to change, and all my opponents look like they're playing real decks while I'm playing draft chaff. I was really looking forward to this set and it has been such a garbage time drafting it.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 2, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Algid posted:

It's not actually an artifact set so this wouldn't do much (except turn on all incubators without needing to transform).

If it ends up in historic it's a funny sideboard card against a bunch of artifact lands and mox ambers

E: I said funny, not good :colbert:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Ithle01 posted:

I need to vent so just skim past this post.

This loving game sometimes. I had a SIR draft where I got both Bruna and Gisela go 2-3. I got mana screwed or color screwed four of the games and had opponents playing apparently removal.dec three of the games. The one time I saw both angels it was in a 1-lander and I was able to cast Gisela twice and she got instantly removed. gently caress you wotc, gently caress you so much. This was the biggest blue balls draft I've felt in years you mother fuckers.

I'm overall having a miserable time in SIR drafts. It never feels like my decks come together, it feels like I'm passing cards and then seeing lanes that are wide open after I'm too far committed to change, and all my opponents look like they're playing real decks while I'm playing draft chaff. I was really looking forward to this set and it has been such a garbage time drafting it.

show us the draft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mana screw in paper is a necessary evil, but it does feel particularly bad on Arena. Two games in a row where I got stuck on two lands while my opponent scooted ahead and never got back the tempo.

Would be neat if they added the whole land smoothing to ranked BO1 games. "If player has 24 lands, ensure they at least draw 3 of them in the first four turns". Otherwise it's just really not much of a game.

fwiw, also feel this going the otherway. Feels bad beating someone when they get stuck on one or two lands. None of the text options feel appropriate for that situation - saying "Nice!" when someone finds their three drop feels a bit too sarcastic.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 2, 2023