Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gyro aiming is the worst, just fine tune the sticks

I barely use the touchpads outside of desktop mode tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I enable gyro in pretty much every single controller plan I use, including Civ 6 and Crusader Kings type poo poo. It is the best controller feature since dual sticks.

EDIT: I actually think the best game to play to ease into using the gyro as a supplement to coarser aiming is Power Wash Simulator. It feels like a natural fit, and sweeping back and forth with the gyro is also really fun.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 1, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gyro aiming is good, actually.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My brain just can't understand track pads or Gyro for aiming in FPS games, it's mouse and keyboard or I just don't bother. I can do third person aiming with a controller but there's a whole lot of recompensation when aiming, especially if it doesn't have like a lock on. Usually what that means is I go to aim at something I move way too far I have to move back slightly in the opposite direction, and I'm almost there at this point, and then I have to move back in the opposite direction again in order to get to my target. I do that kind of anyways with a mouse and keyboard but because the granularity is so much finer and so much smoother, that it just ends up being a better experience

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

:wrong:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't get how people use gyro. If you're rotating the screen you're looking at at the same time I don't get how you can be accurate. I didn't like it on switch or here and can't adjust to it. Glad it exists for people that like it though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gyro is a stop gap between pure sticks and mouse. Mouse will always have more precise control over all methods, but the combination of gyro has been proven to be more effective than pure sticks. Sticks for large wide movement and then gyro to for precision.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't get how people use gyro. If you're rotating the screen you're looking at at the same time I don't get how you can be accurate.

If you have to move the screen a perceptible amount it's calibrated poorly. Snap-aiming in HZD was real easy, barely move the device, 90% of the work comes from the sticks.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

gyro is a great way for me to simulate stick drift. kudos to all of you who are able to hold your decks completely still while you play

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't get how people use gyro. If you're rotating the screen you're looking at at the same time I don't get how you can be accurate. I didn't like it on switch or here and can't adjust to it. Glad it exists for people that like it though.

Gyro was great on switch in games where like it only turned on when you pressed a button. So zelda for example I used it a LOT when firing arrows about when you ran around it wouldn’t activate constantly

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Gyro was great on switch in games where like it only turned on when you pressed a button. So zelda for example I used it a LOT when firing arrows about when you ran around it wouldn’t activate constantly
You definitely don't want it on all the time, you can either set it to activate on trackpad/stick touch so you can lift your thumb to reset or set it up bound to a button, in which case you can totally set games up to work like BOTW like that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

always lol at people who don’t “get” gyro like you just live your hands

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

always lol at people who don’t “get” gyro like you just live your hands

I love gyro but I don’t “get” this post

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Your hands must live

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It worked pretty well in Zelda, though I still found myself turning it off when I needed to fight things, because my aim would start wobbling around if I didn't try to keep my controller perfectly still (and I often needed to keep it still in awkward positions). I mostly liked it in situations where I could take my time aiming at something.

I was using a pro-controller with the game on a big screen though; it might be different when you're playing on the Switch itself.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
gyro conceptually makes sense but also i'd never play a shooter with thumbsticks. if you can't aim while dolphin diving its a fake control method. simple as

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

aint no one here talking about sticks, this is a steam deck

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Thats true you could use the pads. But ill never do it. Its an affront to the sensibilities.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

GameSpot's Steven Garrett on October 5, 2000 talking Alien Ressurection on PSX posted:

The game's control setup is its most terrifying element. The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down. Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I started to only play on gamepad. Sounds like there's skill issues to be found.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m trying to learn to play Warframe with an 8bitdo Pro 2 on desktop and, well, the Deck on the Deck. It’s not going super well, but I’m committed. It’s going really badly on desktop where everything is too sensitive no matter what I do and I can’t aim for poo poo because I grew up on M&K. I used to play Destiny moderately well on the PS4 but this feels so so much more awkward.

I really really want a controller that is just the Deck without the computer bits. Failing that let me just use my Deck as a controller. It has to be possible, right? We have the technology. We just need to want it enough.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They made a Steam Controller, you know. I have one.

It's terrible but i kinda love it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I wish every game could feel as good with a controller as Killing Floor 2 does.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

The trackpads are poo poo. I’ll never use them

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I’m trying to learn to play Warframe with an 8bitdo Pro 2 on desktop and, well, the Deck on the Deck. It’s not going super well, but I’m committed. It’s going really badly on desktop where everything is too sensitive no matter what I do and I can’t aim for poo poo because I grew up on M&K. I used to play Destiny moderately well on the PS4 but this feels so so much more awkward.

I really really want a controller that is just the Deck without the computer bits. Failing that let me just use my Deck as a controller. It has to be possible, right? We have the technology. We just need to want it enough.

The starting sensitivity in Warframe with controller seems insanely high. Maybe just turn it down a lot? I had to do that on the Steam Deck.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Gyro confused the poo poo out of me when I first started playing Splatoon 2.

My girlfriend at the time had almost no video game experience took to gyro like duck to water.

My 25 years of video game muscle memory took about 3 months to over come but gyro rules.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Funnily enough, I started playing the original Medal of Honor yesterday (which released at least a year before Alien Resurrection) and it also has the option of this control scheme! Controls pretty much the same as a modern console shooter, it's great! Super easy to play.

I feel like people think Alien was the first game to have those controls but it was probably just the first to default to them? Either way still a great quote haha

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

bovis posted:

Funnily enough, I started playing the original Medal of Honor yesterday (which released at least a year before Alien Resurrection) and it also has the option of this control scheme! Controls pretty much the same as a modern console shooter, it's great! Super easy to play.

I feel like people think Alien was the first game to have those controls but it was probably just the first to default to them? Either way still a great quote haha

lol yeah but it was this specific review I pointed to because the author is so confidently incorrect about it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I remember being terrible with analogue sticks as a child until I spent enough time with ape escape to learn them better

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Haha yeah it's an amazingly terrible take

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

With gyro I really don’t like the roll method (turn the controller like a steering wheel to go left/right). When it’s a handheld with yaw gyro (point it left/right to go left/right) it’s like you’re just moving a picture frame around the game world.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

They should let you control games with your abs. Hook up electrodes to yourself and the game registers your muscle twitches

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How do you set up a steam deck to do PS5 remote play?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How do you set up a steam deck to do PS5 remote play?

Chiaki, there are lots of instructions out there and it's fairly straightforward to set up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That reminds me to mess around some more with remote play. In theory I should have an optimal set-up for it, since I got fiber a few weeks ago and now have very fast internet (with Wi-Fi being about half as fast, which surprised me - apparently 600mbps translates to ~300mbps wifi, at least with my router).

Is there a way to do it without it popping up on the monitor of the PC you're streaming from? When I tried it I saw the low-rez Octopath pop up on my PC monitor. Not a huge deal, but it'd be neat if it could somehow hide that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Ytlaya posted:

They should let you control games with your abs. Hook up electrodes to yourself and the game registers your muscle twitches
the buttplug.io team have said they'll never support electro stuff iirc

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I can see how a lifelong keyboard+mouse player might have trouble with trackpads or FPSes on the Deck generally, which is a shame because it's the best handheld for FPSes by supporting three different aiming schemes (stick, gyro, pads) in virtually every tittle.

My issue with it is that most FPSes default to the terrible "Gamepad with Joystick Trackpad" template and don't even enable gyro. It's awful*, and if you don't know to change it then yeah it's bad.

* I suppose it's a sensible default for the Steam Controller since that doesn't have a right stick like the Deck does, and not all games support simultaneous gamepad+mouse input. I mean, I think Valve's intention is for both the mouse and joystick trackpad schemes to behave the same, but the joystick one depends heavily on in-game sensitivity and dead zones, while the mouse one just works (when it works).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They made a Steam Controller, you know. I have one.

It's terrible but i kinda love it.

I used to own a Steam Controller, but it was not the same as the modern Deck.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I used to own a Steam Controller, but it was not the same as the modern Deck.

Yes, that's the joke.
It's a terrible controller outside of niche cases and it's build quality feels like fisher price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yes, that's the joke

please don’t toy with my heart