Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Harik posted:

loving lol if you think this

medicare will take them for pennies on the dollar and come after the kids for the remainder of the balance.

nobody who's parents are worth under 8 digits is getting an inheritance outside of sudden heart attacks.

im going to inherit my dads collection of dragonriders of pern novels + factory sealed copies of the second matrix movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Vox Nihili posted:

I think the lovely healthcare and childhood obesity also contribute here. But car accidents and violence have gotta be huge factors.

It's extremely difficult to die of obesity related disease before 40. On the other hand, Big Pun managed it.

These are deaths of violence and despair. Cars, drugs, and guns.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FlapYoJacks posted:

A reminder: When the NYPD threw a hissy fit and told everyone they wouldn't patrol and arrest people unless specifically called, the crime rate plummeted and they immediately had to backtrack their position because it proved cops are worthless lmfao.

The crime rate drops if no one is arrested. That is how it works yes.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Smythe posted:

very long truncated tweets should have some indicator that there is more article behind the embed. BTW. elong ill take my finders fee. thnx

they do but it's the elipsis that you see people end normal tweets with all the time so it's not obvious that it means they shat out a medium post on a SMS relay.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Mr Hootington posted:

it was the crime reports that fell since the police stopped antagonizing communities and exacerbating situations

https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-proactive-policing-crime-20170925-story.html

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

loving ponzi scheme.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Oglethorpe posted:

it was the crime reports that fell since the police stopped antagonizing communities and exacerbating situations

https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-proactive-policing-crime-20170925-story.html

It's this. Turns out, when police aren't intentionally escalating situations, the crime rate drops.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Salvor_Hardin posted:

There is a phrase that stuck in my mind from Consider the Lobster: "As a tourist, you become economically significant but existentially loathsome, an insect on a dead thing"

that's one of my favorite DFW's essays, and his cruise ship one. also the full quote is better:

quote:

To be a mass tourist, for me, is to become a pure late-date American: alien, ignorant, greedy for something you cannot ever have, disappointed in a way you can never admit. It is to spoil, by way of sheer ontology, the very unspoiledness you are there to experience. It is to impose yourself on places that in all noneconomic ways would be better, realer, without you. It is, in lines and gridlock and transaction after transaction, to confront a dimension of yourself that is as inescapable as it is painful: As a tourist, you become economically significant but existentially loathsome, an insect on a dead thing.
I confess that I have never understood why so many people’s idea of a fun vacation is to don flip-flops and sunglasses and crawl through maddening traffic to loud hot crowded tourist venues in order to sample a “local flavor” that is by definition ruined by the presence of tourists … watching people slap canal-zone mosquitoes as they eat deep-fried Twinkies and watch Professor Paddywhack, on six-foot stilts in a raincoat with plastic lobsters protruding from all directions on springs, terrify their children.

i don't mind helping out tourists here around SF or wino tourists in my old sonoma home, and i hope they have a good time but also i get annoyed with them blocking sidewalks with 3 bags of luggage on their phone or driving exceptionally badly blindly following gps and braking every 3 seconds or congesting some local roads. on the other hand some things just get too much when it "hidden gems" become pinstagrambook popular and just swamped destroying it like pt reyes or muir woods.

reservation systems that hard limit tourism is a good thing since it can keep things at a manageble level

gently caress all cruise shippers tho

and also airbnb should be destroyed

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Apr 2, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xaris posted:

and also airbnb should be destroyed

Ceterum (autem) censeo Airbnbinem esse delendam.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Harik posted:

loving lol if you think this

medicare will take them for pennies on the dollar and come after the kids for the remainder of the balance.

nobody who's parents are worth under 8 digits is getting an inheritance outside of sudden heart attacks.

People inherit stuff all the time actually

Llay off the doomerism, it’s bad for your health

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol i missed this https://www.businessinsider.com/meta-dj-layoffs-menlo-park-mark-zuckerberg-2023-3

quote:

Meta has brought in a DJ to play music in its Menlo Park campus cafe, an employee told The Information.

The company has been encouraging people to return to the California headquarters in recent months, pointing to an early analysis that suggested early-career engineers who joined in person performed better than those working remotely.

In a comment provided after publication, a spokesperson for Meta denied to Insider that a DJ had been brought in.

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg has also hinted that the company's remote-work policy may change. In an all-hands meeting earlier this month, he told employees that while the company plans to "continue to support remote work," it would analyze performance data and potentially update the policy.

Some employees may be lured back to the office by Meta's in-person perks. The company's Menlo Park campus has a history of offering workers generous benefits, such as on-site doctors and dentists.

Meta has cut back on some health perks, however, amid mass layoffs, Insider reported. The company also scrapped its Lyft subsidy so employees would no longer get free rides.

Meta announced two weeks ago that it was embarking on a second round of cuts. Most of the 10,000 employees affected wouldn't find out if they were being laid off until April or May, the company said, per the Information.

The uncertainty has left people feeling vulnerable and created a sense of paralysis in certain areas of the company, Meta employees told the publication.
hey guys, what if we hire a lovely dj, will u commute 3 hours a day to come back then?>????

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've long accepted that all I'm going to get is what I take from my parents while they're alive.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

lil poopendorfer posted:

People inherit stuff all the time actually

Llay off the doomerism, it’s bad for your health

"I don't know anything about how the world works so anyone who tells me otherwise is just a stupid doomer"

what are you even doing here

my parents both worked for IBM back when pensions were still a thing and i'm getting nothing because healthcare ate all of it and what pennies are left is going to medicare clawback.

so go gently caress yourself.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Xaris posted:

lol i missed this https://www.businessinsider.com/meta-dj-layoffs-menlo-park-mark-zuckerberg-2023-3

hey guys, what if we hire a lovely dj, will u commute 3 hours a day to come back then?>????

of course the main problem isn't because our product is total poo poo

Palladium has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Apr 2, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

well a kindergardner died at my kids school early this year and they never announced why (probably covid but the parents didnt want to admit it)

very coooool stuff here

Could have been gun violence. Kindergartner at the school my wife taught at got killed when someone tried to kill his dad and missed

Re: medicaid, my understanding is the state checks up on it once a month, is that true? It's kind of comical how bad the checking is for other things - take IBR where it can take a year for the feds to start billing you on your income. Or Obamacare, where you project next year's income low because that's how you save 10 grand in deductible, then decide to work more, and a year and a half later settle up at tax time and use IRA contributions to offset premium subsidies. You can even find the IRA with the tax refund!

But medicaid, no, gently caress you, constant checking in on. If someone misses a shift the end of one month and makes it up the beginning of the next , gently caress them (again, my understanding)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

ahh nice of them to time the demise of social security with the coming climate collapse

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Strange how a country whose gdp has been constantly increasing and whose corporations are posting record profits and who mints its own currency somehow is having all these problems keeping its basic welfare programs solvent

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

gently caress DOUBLE POSTED

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Apr 2, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Combined with this:

It's clear Americans still think the US budget is 20% NASA, 30% foreign aid, 60% aid to NYC and LA (but I repeat myself), and 10% military.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

eXXon posted:

Combined with this:

It's clear Americans still think the US budget is 20% NASA, 30% foreign aid, 60% aid to NYC and LA (but I repeat myself), and 10% military.

What are the real proportions?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

this being near side by side with SVB depositors "100% MADE WHOLE" is funny as hell

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mycomancy posted:

the #1 is healthcare so it means healthcare needs to get cut and not ginormous medical landlordism behind it

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Homeless Friend posted:

this being near side by side with SVB depositors "100% MADE WHOLE" is funny as hell

lol gdi

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Re: medicaid, my understanding is the state checks up on it once a month, is that true? It's kind of comical how bad the checking is for other things - take IBR where it can take a year for the feds to start billing you on your income. Or Obamacare, where you project next year's income low because that's how you save 10 grand in deductible, then decide to work more, and a year and a half later settle up at tax time and use IRA contributions to offset premium subsidies. You can even find the IRA with the tax refund!

But medicaid, no, gently caress you, constant checking in on. If someone misses a shift the end of one month and makes it up the beginning of the next , gently caress them (again, my understanding)

once a year

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Medicaid requirements are set by each state, and each state has its own schedule for verification & re-upping.

Hence some states getting people off the rolls last year when biden refused to renew the emergency order.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mycomancy posted:

NASA about 0.5%
Foreign aid about 0.7% (most of which is probably spent within the USA)
Military about 15% lol

Griz
May 21, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

I noticed this, sausage biscuit used to be the mcdouble of the morning and now they're like $2.50 or some poo poo.

Hell, a coffee is $2 now. Was a buck forever.

that's weird, the sausage biscuit here is the only remaining cheap breakfast item at $1.19. a single hash brown is fuckin $2.49

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i am harry posted:

once a year

So when you say you expect to make 5k next year when signing up for Obamacare and it tosses you to the state site, they then check your employment records when they get around to it (presumably the same ones they use for unemployment?) and say ok, looks like this projects out, and that's that?

Edit oh there's 50 variations. Great

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Homeless Friend posted:

there's unlimited cash in the federal reserve to cover any bet no matter how large and reckless but that cash must not he used to materially benefit the public, that would be financially unsound and irresponsible

sheltered
Apr 1, 2023

by vyelkin
"the federal reserve is just one large money printer"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mr Hootington posted:

that's pretty plainly not how it works though. arrests and crimes are correlated but not directly related. crimes exist without arrests, and people can be arrested even if they haven't committed a crime. you actually would expect the crime rate to increase if no one is ever arrested, an inverse relationship, since arresting people and punishing them with fines or a loss of freedom is imagined to be the deterrent to crime.

in reality though that's not how it works either. the police are incapable of preventing or solving crimes and are just a murderous gang of thugs that extorts every municipal district in the nation. when the police don't exist crime also decreases because the police are causing huge numbers of crimes to occur.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Twerk from Home posted:

It's extremely difficult to die of obesity related disease before 40. On the other hand, Big Pun managed it.

These are deaths of violence and despair. Cars, drugs, and guns.

They're all deaths of poverty (cars excluded somewhat). Obesity falls under that too since it's rather hard to treat when your most cost-effective source of food isn't healthy at all.

It's all just the American ideal of prosperity gospel: you're poor because you don't worship god hard enough so you must suffer

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

you're joking right. right?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The police will be defunded when some politician deems it more economical to replace them with a security firm they're coincidentally on the executive board of.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

super sweet best pal posted:

The police will be defunded when some politician deems it more economical to replace them with the all-volunteer sturmabteilung

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Strange how a country whose gdp has been constantly increasing and whose corporations are posting record profits and who mints its own currency somehow is having all these problems keeping its basic welfare programs solvent

This is so succinct, it's exactly how I'm going to phrase this rhetorical to every dumbass I get in an argument with on Nextdoor going forward

Edit:

Griz posted:

that's weird, the sausage biscuit here is the only remaining cheap breakfast item at $1.19. a single hash brown is fuckin $2.49

Yo what is up with this, I was at the grocery store and saw that a bag of potato chips are like $7. Potatoes are one of the primo dirt cheap carbs of this country after corn. To my recollection, they are not expensive. Did something happen to potatoes? Are we in a potato famine?

SlimGoodbody has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Apr 2, 2023

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Blackhawk posted:

NASA about 0.5%
Foreign aid about 0.7% (most of which is probably spent within the USA)
Military about 15% lol

That's only if you include non-discretionary spending which, at least for social security & Medicare, you probably shouldn't since it's basically a nationalized pension scheme. Military is a little less than half of the discretionary spending.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yo what is up with this, I was at the grocery store and saw that a bag of potato chips are like $7. Potatoes are one of the primo dirt cheap carbs of this country after corn. To my recollection, they are not expensive. Did something happen to potatoes? Are we in a potato famine?

harvest was down last year due to drought and way down in europe iirc. fertilizer prices keep going up at the same time so cherish those sub-10 dollar bags of chips while you can.

Griz
May 21, 2001

SlimGoodbody posted:

something is fucky with supply chain, walmart had packs of hash brown patties just like the mcdonalds ones for like $3.29 for 10 but now those have been out of stock for months. before that they were out of tater tots for months but now those are back and the patties are gone. there's always shitloads of frozen fries though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Wow, drat. The potato is the cornerstone of the American treat regime. If we somehow botch our supply of corn syrup, all bets are off in this country.