Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

NeatHeteroDude posted:

the safety of subways etc. vary widely but in my/my wife's experience like 7/10 rides are fine and the remaining ones are either a little stressful or unsafe. the big thing is that you don't know when the ride will be safe or stressful, it feels like you have to be alert all the time. for us all it really took was one bad trip to make every subsequent trip very stressful, and i was pretty happy when we could finally afford cars to drive

Two years ago I was stopped at a light and a 3 ton truck ran straight into me going 60 mph and totalled my car. Can't say that's ever happened to me on public transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Elmnt80 posted:

Let your song finish playing, take a sip from your morning beverage and let the suffocating wave of the bullshit you're about to endure wash over you.

hey buddy. cars are crap!!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

What's this? Presuming you don't mean the Pakistani spooks.

Import Substitution Industrialization

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I read some cute dog history about the Hoover Dam. They had a dog that followed the workers and brightened everyone's day.
Nig: The Hoover Dam Mascot

quote:

One day Nig wanted to return to the city earlier than usual and ended up getting a ride back with Frank Crowe, the chief engineer of the Hoover Dam. Even the big boss must have loved the dam's mascot a lot because the dog was seen sitting in the front passenger seat of the fancy car while the man's wife rode in the back.
lol dudes rock. Dog scampered about the Hoover Dam through it's entire construction.

quote:

After the dam was complete, Nig continued to make his rounds there. On February 21, 1941, an unseasonably hot day, Nig decided to take a nap in a spot of shade under a truck. When the driver of the truck returned, he failed to notice the sleeping dog. Nig died instantly when the truck ran over him.
N word dog was too good for this car cursed world.

Grassy Knowles posted:

thank god you can drive a car now so you dont need to be alert all the time

A big part of feeling safe while driving is being completely oblivious of all your near death misses.

Greatbacon posted:

Two years ago I was stopped at a light and a 3 ton truck ran straight into me going 60 mph and totalled my car. Can't say that's ever happened to me on public transit.

I feel far safer on public transit because I'm in a 30 ton bus instead of a 3 ton car. It will suck when people start ramming 10 ton electric Hummers into buses.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Greatbacon posted:

my wife's first car was totalled at a red light too. stopped, reached down to change the radio to a station not on ad-break (yeah, that dates me, they're all synchronized now) and *wham*. guy who hit her said he thought she was going to run the red

i get that it's an explanation, but i don't get how he thought it was a good one.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was gonna be my first long ride on the new bike, and I was very stupidly pushing as fast as I could, now that I could actually go fast. A motorcycle cut in front of me and I swerved to avoid and I hit a pothole, lost control, and flew off the bike.

The bike is fine though :yayclod:

drat dude I hope you are not damaged too badly :(

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

A big part of feeling safe while driving is being completely oblivious of all your near death misses.

And, if you don't feel like you have to be alert while driving, all of the near death misses you're inflicting on others

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been lurking in this thread for like four days and I think I'm ready to get rid of my car. I realized I barely use it, I don't enjoy using it, but it costs me thousands of dollars a year just to have it.

Maybe I will get a bike but I've been doing most everything I need to on foot or with light rail.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Greatbacon posted:

Yeah that's scary too, both can be scary.

Grassy Knowles posted:

thank god you can drive a car now so you dont need to be alert all the time

There seems to be a pretty big difference for me personally and maybe others between the experience of worrying about someone running up to you and hurting you vs. having to drive defensively. It's not like one is dangerous and the other isn't, just a different experience for people involved.

I super didn't like coming home to my wife crying because some guy followed her up from the subway until right outside our apartment complex at night. She experienced dramatically worse times than I did on the subway and that's why when we got our first car she was 100% the one who got to use it for work and school. We've also had bad experiences driving and have been in accidents, but it just feels different to have a car to go to and from places if you have a reason to worry about stuff like that. It's not an objective risk calculus lol

Of course cars hurt and kill more people than subway shitheads. Saying one was bad for us for this reason as part of a discussion about why subways as they are feel dangerous isn't also saying cars ftw.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Cuttlefush posted:

oh my god lol

Wholesome end

lol she told me later that night was the first time she KNEW she was falling in love because despite me gassing her bedroom and forcing her to put on full ppe so she could clean for an hour while I drunkenly splashed my hand and face with milk, she wasn't mad at all!!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

And, if you don't feel like you have to be alert while driving, all of the near death misses you're inflicting on others
i've always been alert while driving, which mostly means i get to see the inevitable before it happens and know there's nothing i can do about it.

"well poo poo there's a big chunk of metal in the road, wasn't visible until the car in front swerved but their sudden maneuver hosed up the left lane so i can't go left, there's people on the sidewalk to the right and i can't stop in time. gently caress this is going to hurt."

really enjoyed changing a tire in the rain, love the car.

then there was the time i ran myself over but i never hated my car, i said "thank you for your service"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You guys know why the old-timey dog was named "nig" right?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

withak posted:

Because it was a valued member of the workforce that the oppressors (trucks) clearly didn't appreciate?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
yeah hats probably it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't know hp lovecraft worked on the hoover dam

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

withak posted:

Named after Niger, so a Berber root.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PVxA_UfK5M

An interesting video about Culver City possibly removing a bus/bike line in one of the few recent success stories as far as mixed-use planning around LA Country (probably SoCal at this point). The chief reason seems to be that drivers are simply jealous of watching buses/bikes pass them, and there isn't a good other reason besides simply resentment. They are simply being 'driven' insane.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

NeatHeteroDude posted:

while you are trolling i'd like to point out that mace is insanely disabling. on my third date with the now wife, i thought she had a cool toy pistol (bright pink, clear) in her nightstand and started james bond aiming it around the room. as it turns out, it was a Remington mace gel/oil shooter and while waving it around i somehow disabled the safety and fired a big shot that grazed off the top of my hand and splattered on the wall.

the gel is blood red and gives off an incredibly toxic fume that made the whole room uninhabitable without ppe for like 24 hours. even while running to the bathroom to wash it (i thought i had shot myself with a pellet gun or something), the small amount of it on my hand paralyzed my lungs and blinded me for like 15 seconds before my wife got me a good mask. can't imagine being shot in the face or chest with it and taking the full dose

I rode a train once with a few random kids. No idea where they were going, but one borrowed a body spray from the other. He, and the rest of the compartment, learned something about reading labels that day.

mystes
May 31, 2006

genericnick posted:

I rode a train once with a few random kids. No idea where they were going, but one borrowed a body spray from the other. He, and the rest of the compartment, learned something about reading labels that day.
Axe and mace sound pretty similar, really

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

NeatHeteroDude posted:

the safety of subways etc. vary widely but in my/my wife's experience like 7/10 rides are fine and the remaining ones are either a little stressful or unsafe. the big thing is that you don't know when the ride will be safe or stressful, it feels like you have to be alert all the time. for us all it really took was one bad trip to make every subsequent trip very stressful, and i was pretty happy when we could finally afford cars to drive

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i sit on the train and anyone jerks off on me or stabs me i say thank you for your service

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ardennes posted:

An interesting video about Culver City possibly removing a bus/bike line in one of the few recent success stories as far as mixed-use planning around LA Country (probably SoCal at this point). The chief reason seems to be that drivers are simply jealous of watching buses/bikes pass them, and there isn't a good other reason besides simply resentment. They are simply being 'driven' insane.

One more lane, bro. Just one more lane and all our problems are solved.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/tonyocruz/status/1642407014822445056?t=gQXojfVOJKMUqgx7hKjDnQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/tonyocruz/status/1642411617790091264?t=EMH4mwhcZOW54Pz7DxNIqA&s=19

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

McCracAttack posted:

One more lane, bro. Just one more lane and all our problems are solved.

In this case, it is also replacing a transit lane, so it may actually make things directly worse beyond even induced demand.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Apr 2, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

they oppose jeeps?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

they oppose jeeps?

Take a ww2 US jeep, stretch out the back, add bench seating to it, and you get:

A public transportation mode that's essentially small buses

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Take a ww2 US jeep, stretch out the back, add bench seating to it, and you get:

A public transportation mode that's essentially small buses

That's kind of cool. The doors look a bit inconvenient though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

NeatHeteroDude posted:

while you are trolling i'd like to point out that mace is insanely disabling. on my third date with the now wife, i thought she had a cool toy pistol (bright pink, clear) in her nightstand and started james bond aiming it around the room. as it turns out, it was a Remington mace gel/oil shooter and while waving it around i somehow disabled the safety and fired a big shot that grazed off the top of my hand and splattered on the wall.

the gel is blood red and gives off an incredibly toxic fume that made the whole room uninhabitable without ppe for like 24 hours. even while running to the bathroom to wash it (i thought i had shot myself with a pellet gun or something), the small amount of it on my hand paralyzed my lungs and blinded me for like 15 seconds before my wife got me a good mask. can't imagine being shot in the face or chest with it and taking the full dose

A shockingly upbeat story for what starts off as "yeah so I once got maced".

I would have played with the gun too op

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i married a wife thats 6 feet tall so she can defend herself from awnry manlets without chemical irritants

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

“i somehow disabled the safety and fired”

this person may be driving around your city…watch ur back, everyone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gun thread poster gonna kramer in like :actually: the only safety you need is 6 pounds of trigger squeeze resistance

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

please put a trigger warning on your story next time thank you

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Hubbert posted:

please put a trigger warning on your story next time thank you

o_O

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ardennes posted:

People around here are losing their minds about cyclists filtering to a light to avoid dying in squeeze crashes and it comes down to this exact thing, they’re just pissy someone is moving faster than they are or passing them because in their heart of hearts driving is a competition.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People around here are losing their minds about cyclists filtering to a light to avoid dying in squeeze crashes and it comes down to this exact thing, they’re just pissy someone is moving faster than they are or passing them because in their heart of hearts driving is a competition.

It is arguably how car culture reinforces itself and the tendency not to spent enough on transit to make it too viable versus cars, even if it would probably make their commuter easier even with road diets.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Ardennes posted:

lol carbrains can't even give up a mile of road because oh my god there's traffic! at rush hour of all times!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Elmnt80 posted:

Let your song finish playing, take a sip from your morning beverage and let the suffocating wave of the bullshit you're about to endure wash over you.

you guys should make this into your traveling ai thread

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cars ftw

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
alpha bro who refuses to eat anything that isn't raw meat because that's how our caveman ancestors did it but can't walk a mile to a grocery store so he drives his F250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

saw a car today. triggered hard.