Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
For RMAs, does your deck get wiped and reset? My left sick is like creaking or feels like it's "scratchy" so I can't make fine movements with it. Long au maybe an RMA, but is like to just get the stick replaced, rather than a fresh system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I started playing The Messenger on my deck and holy poo poo this may be the second most perfect Deck game.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PageMaster posted:

For RMAs, does your deck get wiped and reset? My left sick is like creaking or feels like it's "scratchy" so I can't make fine movements with it. Long au maybe an RMA, but is like to just get the stick replaced, rather than a fresh system.

They ask you to factory reset it before sending it back.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

PageMaster posted:

Sounds like a good excuse to dump some Hall effect sticks in there instead.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Vegastar posted:

Sounds like a good excuse to dump some Hall effect sticks in there instead.

This requires soldering, right? I'll add that to the list when I do the ssd upgrade and new backplate.

Edit: looks like you might only need to solder if you want to reconnect the capacitive stick cap (which I don't every use)

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 2, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I ordered the 2TB because go hard or go home

Within 12 hours aliexpress claims to have "shipped" it (which really just means a shipping label with most shippers, has been created)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Within 12 hours aliexpress claims to have "shipped" it (which really just means a shipping label with most shippers, has been created)

It's so you cannot cancel even the most obvious scams without waiting out the time,too.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I actually got my drive pretty quickly, or at least pretty quickly for aliexpress. I think it got here in less than two weeks.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Suburban Dad posted:

They ask you to factory reset it before sending it back.

Which I only remembered to do AFTER I had shipped mine back lol. I remotely de-authorized it when I realized so at least it wasn't being moved around logged into my account.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How do you set up a steam deck to do PS5 remote play?

Chiaki4deck specifically

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Ordered a deck recently, was going to go for a 64gb version but they we're OOS so went for the next model up, by the looks of things this was a good decision...... I get 12 hour long shifts at work in hospitals where i do very little and I've been looking for a catch all device that I can use to game/watch movies with for a while, I had a Switch but as it couldn't so netflix etc i found myself using my tablet more, I also knocked about with a few anbernic devices but found them quite limiting.
I'm looking forward to having a tinker with the Steam deck to see what i can get it to do... primarily emulation, some steam games, movies both streaming and stored and maybe some PS5 remote play depending on how it works.....especially on the awful wiFi i'll jhave access to at work.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Gaz2k21 posted:

Ordered a deck recently, was going to go for a 64gb version but they we're OOS so went for the next model up, by the looks of things this was a good decision...... I get 12 hour long shifts at work in hospitals where i do very little and I've been looking for a catch all device that I can use to game/watch movies with for a while, I had a Switch but as it couldn't so netflix etc i found myself using my tablet more, I also knocked about with a few anbernic devices but found them quite limiting.
I'm looking forward to having a tinker with the Steam deck to see what i can get it to do... primarily emulation, some steam games, movies both streaming and stored and maybe some PS5 remote play depending on how it works.....especially on the awful wiFi i'll jhave access to at work.

I don't think I've ever owned a device this catchall. I've installed Diablo 2, Exile 3, and Phantasy Star Online. I've ran Dolphin and PCSX2, the Dark Souls 2 randomizer (which requires Cheat Engine). I haven't had much not work out. If I do have an issue, it's stuff like Nioh that just really wants more horsepower because it's optimized kind of badly.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yes, that's the joke.
It's a terrible controller outside of niche cases and it's build quality feels like fisher price

No real dpad was a big problem. I basically just used it as a handheld mouse for controlling a computer hooked up to a tv after a while.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what ebook reader yall installed? calibre doesnt work great

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I simply don't read ebooks on my Steam Deck, personally.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I fired up Oxygen Not included last night but the text is way too small for me :corsair:

Any good similar planning/survival games that work well on the handheld size screen?

Hm can I install Epic games and play Satisfactory??

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can install Heroic Launcher which will let you install your Epic and GOG games

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

priznat posted:

I fired up Oxygen Not included last night but the text is way too small for me :corsair:

I need a spare compartment in my Steam Deck case for my reading glasses :corsair:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Twobirds posted:

I need a spare compartment in my Steam Deck case for my reading glasses :corsair:

Nreal Airs can take prescription inserts!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

priznat posted:

Any good similar planning/survival games that work well on the handheld size screen?

Hm can I install Epic games and play Satisfactory??

Same for me. I uninstalled it until I get back home next month and buy a dock.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

can you point emudeck to the proton7 on the SSD while installing it on an SD card? i didn't really intend to install emudeck on the sd card, but that's what it's trying to do and that's good cause i wanted all emulation stuff on this sd card

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Emudeck doesn't use proton

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

homeless snail posted:

it installed an instance of it anyhow. retroarch sees my switch controller, but not when i launch it through steam

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
RE4make rules but I’m finding the beginning few chapters harder than the original 4, which is fine and good, just an observation.

Love the deck, go deck.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cannot recommend Harvestella until they fix the cutscenes. I just went through 30 minutes of fights and unskippable dialogue with no save points offered only to hit a cutscene that wouldn't play.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ah jeez. i just tried to 'mount' the sd card at its prompting, my main one, and i think maybe the 'mount' tries to format it? it's not seeing any games on there any more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/u3ms42/steam_deck_killing_sd_cards/

edit: the files are still on the sd card. following this now...

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/ugzd84/steam_games_installed_on_sd_card_no_longer_in/

and it does add it again but it says games (0) ... try a restart and see again

so maybe it's pointing to primary/library/steamapps instead of primary/steamapps? any help?

quote:

I added the SD card to my Steam Library. On the SD card Steam created a new folder called Steam Library. If you originally installed all your games in Deck mode, it might have just created a steam apps folder on your SD card. No worries. The Steam Library folder has a steamapps folder in it. Just copy all the files from the old steamapps folder to the new, empty one.

i tried to do this but it cant copy/paste because there's not enough room

other fixes say the same

quote:

Make sure the MicroSD card is being read in desktop mode and go to steam on desktop mode> Steam (top left of window)> settings> downloads> STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS> hit the plus and a popup should appear with your microSD card. If you don’t see your games appear go to the dolphin file manager and make sure the steamapps folder is inside the SteamLibrary folder. If there’s a empty steamapps folder already in the SteamLibrary then just replace it.

edit: i deleted RDR2 and it seems to be copying okay now, but poo poo. i was not expecting it to actually move the files around... it's at one percent and it's gonna take all day apparently. i canceled it. there's no way this is supposed to be what i'm doing. in windows if you move stuff like that it doesn't actually move anything and it happens instantly. what am i doing wrong?

Mescal fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 2, 2023

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Mescal posted:

edit: i deleted RDR2 and it seems to be copying okay now, but poo poo. i was not expecting it to actually move the files around... it's at one percent and it's gonna take all day apparently. i canceled it. there's no way this is supposed to be what i'm doing. in windows if you move stuff like that it doesn't actually move anything and it happens instantly. what am i doing wrong?

If you're moving the files from deck's ssd to sd, it's going to copy them to the new location and delete from old. The instant move only happens if you're doing this on the same drive.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Emudeck possibly uses proton for cemu in some way because it installs a .exe version of the emulator from an older version instead of the most recent one that has a Linux version but otherwise everything else is Linux native afaik so yeah not sure what you think proton would be being used for outside of that one emulator

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mescal posted:

If you move files around on the same drive it just updates the OS on where the file is and doesn’t have to move poo poo.

If you move files from one drive to another it has to actually write new files.

This is true in any OS there’s not some kind of windows magic you’re missing out on.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's terrible but i kinda love it.

Bob? Bob Burger?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ledenko posted:

If you're moving the files from deck's ssd to sd, it's going to copy them to the new location and delete from old. The instant move only happens if you're doing this on the same drive.

No these are the files that were always on my sd card. Unfortunately it looks like something in there is pointing to the wrong place. I was trying to move them to the steamapps folder where apparently steam wants them to be. So yeah I was xfering them on same drive.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

You can install Heroic Launcher which will let you install your Epic and GOG games

Is there a “trick” to getting Heroic to download cloud saves for Epic games? It worked fine when I launched it by installing the launcher as a non-steam game, but that had its own complexities.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

my stuff is in primary/steamapps and i was trying to move it to primary/steamlibrary/steamapps per those instructions

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

sigh. don't take out your sd cards people.

-the file paths are broken because steam doesnt want to read that old path any more unless it was grandfathered into it. there's no way to select the folders where all my stuff already is. removing the sd removed the grandfathering.
-i copied one game individually to steamlibrary folder; attempted and apparently failed to repair install when attempted install in steam
-i copied all the games folders in there together, in steamlibrary/steamapps, where there is no conflict that prompts steam to repair install; redunant install will follow

this is no good. other thing that's no good is my SSD is full after monkeying around and all kinds of things are going wrong to prevent me freeing up some space.

-looking around to free up space and literally can't find /home/deck ?????

quote:

Experienced the exact same thing. The solution, for a different issue, was found in this post in this thread:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/5742#issuecomment-791878239

All you need do is touch the /home/deck folder from a Konsole.

Switch to Desktop mode (power/switch to desktop), then click the Application Launcher and look in System to find and start Konsole. Then just type or paste this:

all day with this poo poo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to do or how you're doing it

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone playing RE4 remake on the deck find it janky to aim with the rifles? Or is my right stick dying?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t wanna sound mean Mescal but it mostly just sounds like you’re really bad at computers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This CPU/GPU lock bug when playing on battery is really loving annoying and starting to get to me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This CPU/GPU lock bug when playing on battery is really loving annoying and starting to get to me.

The what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

GigaPeon posted:

Is there a “trick” to getting Heroic to download cloud saves for Epic games? It worked fine when I launched it by installing the launcher as a non-steam game, but that had its own complexities.

The default file path for Heroic cloud saves is super wrong. You'll have to do some research per game to find the correct one. It'll probably look something like /home/deck/Games/Heroic/Prefixes/[GAME]/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/local/[GAME]/Saved/SaveGames/[UUID OF GAME]/

Also, Heroic only seems to sync cloud saves at the end of a play session if you close the game you're playing back to the Heroic launcher and let it sync. Do not just like, Steam Button -> close the game when you are done.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 3, 2023