Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Can't wait to sacrifice one of these furry children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

The sonic murder mystery game was definitely worth my time at a price of Free, but the difficulty for the runner segments was a bit mean by default. I highly recommend the assist mode, turning the rings required down to 50% and getting rid of pits made the game much more fun.

There is some quite nice art, and some of the meme bait in the game is legit funny. Probably won't take more than 2 hours unless you get stuck on the running minigame.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NikkolasKing posted:

Only played the start of CSH but I think the Style system or something like it should be implemented in most turn-based/ATB/whatever RPGs. Something to stop you from just spamming the same moves over and over and over and over. I always think of Chrono Trigger where the final fight with Lavos was a mind-numbing repeat of Triple Kick, Luminaire, and something from Magus. But mot every JRPG ends up like this in the end,

It is an interesting system, but I feel it still led to a kinda repetitive rhythm with a more elaborate rotation of abilities, honestly felt it was kind of tiresome by the third planet. It is certainly something that could be iterated further... Speaking of, did anyone play their follow-up... Shakespeare Sailor Moon game? How did that turn out?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZearothK posted:

It is an interesting system, but I feel it still led to a kinda repetitive rhythm with a more elaborate rotation of abilities, honestly felt it was kind of tiresome by the third planet. It is certainly something that could be iterated further... Speaking of, did anyone play their follow-up... Shakespeare Sailor Moon game? How did that turn out?

I bought it, haven't played it yet.

And I'm facing the big dragon boss with Sue right now. I've been playing on the second highest difficulty up to this point, switched to the highest just to see what it was al about. Geez, it feels like you need to be absolutely precise with your actions here or you will get hosed and die. I just felt like the "Desperation" mechanic was easy mode and cheap but now I'm dying all the time. Bleh. I guess it makes Style more useful and important, further forcing you to switch up your characters' actions. I wasn't spamming one move here, I was trying to spam heals from Chahn. That's no good, either.

Also I don't particularly like Chrono Trigger, I only beat it once, but it seems like me and every other person compares CSH to CT. But it plays nothing like it, teh characters and setting aren't the same, and it doesn't have Toriyama art. I'm not sure why this game evokes comparisons with it but it does.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

ZearothK posted:

I ended up really enjoying This Way Madness Lies. I haven't played any of that other developers games though so I couldn't really tell you how the battle system compares

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The overdrive system in Chained Echoes is pretty good at forcing you to switch up your moves

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I'm not sure I would enjoy fuga. I get the impression that I would gleefully enjoy sacrificing the furry children so dunno if the games gimmick would work on me

Uhhhhh....

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I'm not sure I would enjoy fuga. I get the impression that I would gleefully enjoy sacrificing the furry children so dunno if the games gimmick would work on me

april fools?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wakka wakka

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

fridge corn posted:

I'm not sure the game is right for you, if that's the frame of mind in which you are going to approach the text.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't know Chinese and doubt I will ever be able to learn it, but this is a neat thread on 90s Chinese PC RPGs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Isn't that Knuckle's Dad's hat?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ZearothK posted:

Compared to CSH, it feels a little slower-paced and more tightly balanced; combat is less about setting up one big attack that lets you wipe the whole enemy party. It's also a bit more aggressive about forcing you to use a rotating roster of characters so you can't just get comfortable with one team and stick with them, which could be a good or a bad thing depending on your taste. The writing gimmick of every Shakespearean or faux-Shakespearean line having a "translate into modern English" feature is also actually funny a lot of the time, and sometimes even useful for understanding stuff.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 2, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also how could I fail to bring up Chrono Cross. I'll never stop declaring it one of the best turn-based systems I've seen, and of course it also prevents spamming your best moves because of the Element system. You can only use your best move once per battle. Of course, by the end, melee is your best source of damage, especially if you throw down a Diminish every boss fight... Still, good ideas. Being too easy doesn't change that.

Anyway, there's been a lot of talk lately about JRPG, what it means to be a JRPG, etc.. Then that moves into talk about turn-based vs. Action and so-on. I bring this up because I started up Dragon Age II and of course it has a very "Action" feel compared to DAO or DAI. So...that makes it an Action RPG? But obviously it plays nothing like FFVIIR or FFXV. No blocking or parrying here, which I'm very grateful for and it's why I love DA2's gameplay but not stuff like that. But then there's also the Tales games which have been Action RPGs for thirty years and are nothing like any of the games I just mentioned. Then again, the first boss of Star Ocean 4's whole gimmick is it has a weak spot on its side and you have to target that weak spot to defeat it. That sort of "situational awareness" is in FFVIIR I do believe but not really a thing for Dragon Age, apart from "hit the enemy in the back" for Rogues or something.

I duno, I'm rambling. I'm just trying to figure out why I like one thing and not the other.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Its his hat from the ova smh.

Truly sad that people are now more aware of the weird comics than the classics

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thuryl posted:

Compared to CSH, it feels a little slower-paced and more tightly balanced; combat is less about setting up one big attack that lets you wipe the whole enemy party. It's also a bit more aggressive about forcing you to use a rotating roster of characters so you can't just get comfortable with one team and stick with them, which could be a good or a bad thing depending on your taste. The writing gimmick of every Shakespearean or faux-Shakespearean line having a "translate into modern English" feature is also actually funny a lot of the time, and sometimes even useful for understanding stuff.

Thanks! That does sound like something I'd like, so to the Wishlist it goes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This Way Madness Lies has a lot of party interactions like "X character inflicts status effect, Y character detonates the effect for mega-damage" and a wide range of selectable abilities for each girl so you can make just about any combination work. You don't get full control over your party makeup until the last few dungeons but it works well enough for its runtime.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

in the archie comics it is the hat of one of his many semi-immortal grandpas and featured in a tragic storyline of a dumb dad mistaking the unconscious body of his mortal enemy for the body of his son

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I just figured the hat was a reference to the 1996 Sonic OVA where Knuckles was incredibly Australian and wore a hat like that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Its his hat from the ova smh.

Truly sad that people are now more aware of the weird comics than the classics

I read the knuckles comic as a kid because he was more interesting than sonic, and still is

Looper posted:

in the archie comics it is the hat of one of his many semi-immortal grandpas and featured in a tragic storyline of a dumb dad mistaking the unconscious body of his mortal enemy for the body of his son

yeah those owned

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUENLoRGvvs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/interview/230403a

its in japanese but there's a neat interview between Kondo, one of the lead Falcom producers, and Jiang, one of the lead Mihoyo producers. They talk a lot about turn-based RPGs and their future, and a bit about 'anime' style JRPGs and things like someone with a sword fighting someone with a gun. If you're interested in Trails or Honkai it's worth a read, and there's some interesting musings on the genre in general.

if you don't wanna google translate it the gist is that they think turn based RPGs have a lot of advantages and possibilities, and the feeling that they're 'stale' or people are bored by them is a result of more phoned in games just using really basic turnbased systems with no flair. Which tracks to me - if you look at something like Persona 5, that's very popular, and I haven't seen anyone sincerely going 'Persona 6 should be an action game' or something. I think the UI and presentation does a lot of heavy lifting there, plus the press turn battle system gives it a certain amount of dynamism.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also very funny exhcange

quote:

Jiang: Well, since our games are continually updated, there are about 400-500 employees currently working on the upcoming Honkai Star Rail.

Interviewer: That's amazing... what a sense of scale.

Kondo: Over at Falcom, there's about 30 of us. lol

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

if you don't wanna google translate it the gist is that they think turn based RPGs have a lot of advantages and possibilities, and the feeling that they're 'stale' or people are bored by them is a result of more phoned in games just using really basic turnbased systems with no flair. Which tracks to me - if you look at something like Persona 5, that's very popular, and I haven't seen anyone sincerely going 'Persona 6 should be an action game' or something. I think the UI and presentation does a lot of heavy lifting there, plus the press turn battle system gives it a certain amount of dynamism.

I agree, something like Scarlet Grace even without it's flair is fun to play. But something like Bravely Default wasn't very fun to me even if it tried to do something a bit different. I also think games like FF12 and 15 would've been better if they were more turn based.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/interview/230403a

its in japanese but there's a neat interview between Kondo, one of the lead Falcom producers, and Jiang, one of the lead Mihoyo producers. They talk a lot about turn-based RPGs and their future, and a bit about 'anime' style JRPGs and things like someone with a sword fighting someone with a gun. If you're interested in Trails or Honkai it's worth a read, and there's some interesting musings on the genre in general.

I absolutely agree that turn-based has its place but when Strikers came out I saw quite a bit of "I wish Persona 6 was more like this" stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I absolutely agree that turn-based has its place but when Strikers came out I saw quite a bit of "I wish Persona 6 was more like this" stuff.
strikers is one of the worst musou games ive ever played in my life so i dont believe this is real

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
yeah strikers is, not a musou but it also doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from musous so it gets weakened that way but i enjoyed the gameplay more because what surrounded it was more enjoyable

if that makes any sense at all

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

strikers is one of the worst musou games ive ever played in my life so i dont believe this is real

That is because it really isn't a musou game. It's closer to something like Tales or Star Ocean. Honestly you can probably dig up the thread and find it.

(I will note that I do not agree and much prefer turn-based.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

Posting Reset Era is cheating, right?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
resetera thinks dark savior has 100 endings. it isnt real

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

resetera thinks dark savior has 100 endings. it isnt real

its still insane to me that a random resetera thread convinced people that a sega saturn game with like 2.5 routes and an arena mode was some advanced secret AI tech that could create a unique story experience for you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

its still insane to me that a random resetera thread convinced people that a sega saturn game with like 2.5 routes and an arena mode was some advanced secret AI tech that could create a unique story experience for you

What the heck is the story with this?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7651/

i know smrpg's translation is far from perfect but hacks like this that change things for the sake of changing things are so obnoxious

quote:

Rose Way============Croase
Land's End==========Country Road
Gaz=================Toydo
Jagger==============Koopyang
Bolt================Lightning
Static E!===========ESD Phenomenon
Cymbals=============Cymbal

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

yeah strikers is, not a musou but it also doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from musous so it gets weakened that way but i enjoyed the gameplay more because what surrounded it was more enjoyable

if that makes any sense at all

Strikers is a very good, maybe even great Action RPG, but it has a lot of what people associate Musou titles with while being absolutely terrible when approached as an actual Musou game. You're too fragile, enemies are too aggressive but not so numerous you cannot find ways to approach groups, and the presence of stuff like Status effects in particular completely change how you got to approach any encounter where the enemy is attempting to use them. I approached it at first like I would a Musou game, got my rear end blown out by several of the earliest bosses in the game, adjusted to play by the rules the game was throwing down, and had a great time all the way through to the end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

What the heck is the story with this?

Person posted a thread praising the game Dark Savior and made it out to seem like there are hundreds of randomized story routes to the game, which in some way were reactive to what you chose to do previously. The game was obscure enough and the person cogent enough that people just assumed that was true, that somehow there was a sega saturn RPG with like 100 different branching story paths based on your morality and decision making.

I love reading Reset Era.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 3, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

jfc lol

dark saviour rules though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Person posted a thread praising the game Dark Savior and made it out to seem like there are hundreds of randomized story routes to the game, which in some way were reactive to what you chose to do previously. The game was obscure enough and the person cogent enough that people just assumed that was true, that somehow there was a sega saturn RPG with like 100 different branching story paths based on your morality and decision making.

I love reading Reset Era.

yeah. to be clear the actual story with dark savior is just that the game opens with you on a boat and it gets attacked by a monster and the route you get is determined by how long you take to deal with that. and then one of the routes has another branch at the end of it. thats it. its a mildly neat structure for a sega saturn rpg but its not remotely innovative or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Locke posted:

Strikers is a very good, maybe even great Action RPG, but it has a lot of what people associate Musou titles with while being absolutely terrible when approached as an actual Musou game. You're too fragile, enemies are too aggressive but not so numerous you cannot find ways to approach groups, and the presence of stuff like Status effects in particular completely change how you got to approach any encounter where the enemy is attempting to use them. I approached it at first like I would a Musou game, got my rear end blown out by several of the earliest bosses in the game, adjusted to play by the rules the game was throwing down, and had a great time all the way through to the end.
no that wasnt my issue my issue was just that 90% of fights were over before i could even get started doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7651/

i know smrpg's translation is far from perfect but hacks like this that change things for the sake of changing things are so obnoxious

i mean that isnt change for the sake of change its changing the translations to be closer to the original japanese names. it makes sense for a hack that wants to be closer to the original jp.

the much funnier detail is that the person making this tl seemingly doesnt actually know japanese.