Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

"Whoops, sorry guys, we had no choice but to invade Saudi Arabia! They were using Weapons of Economic Destruction!" :usa: :usa: :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Shrecknet posted:

gotta be reservations and the horrific ongoing genocide that is their poor health support systems
Yeah, the life expectancies on a lot of those reservations are off the scale of that chart. Pine Ridge is the worst, with 48m/52f.

https://indianyouth.org/american-indian-life/

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm just not gonna bother anymore with pretty much anything processed.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Xi is going to save the planet by cutting america off from their addiction

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm just not gonna bother anymore with pretty much anything.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Chad Sexington posted:

Bake don't fry. Healthier and ensures your home doesn't smell like poo poo.

Cut russet potatoes into your favorite shape. I usually do steak fry or thick traditional fry shapes. Toss with olive oil. Hit with spice blend. I am partial to Montreal steak seasoning. Put on parchment paper and get them in the oven at 400 for 40 minutes, flipping once after ~25 minutes. Cook to desired doneness.

You can also do poo poo like boiling them before baking but it's not worth the time IMO.

If you boil them for like 5 minutes before baking then they will cook in the same amount of time as sweet potatoes so you can do a yam-potato medley and have them all cooked to perfection. Top with a couple of fried eggs, green onions, and some Sriracha and you have a reason to get up in the morning.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

just every page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

time to load up on more stickers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

aldis has way cheaper snack food
if you are addicted like me

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nearly all snacks are skyrocketing in price while having their packaging shrunk down and the ingredients/recipes changed. I got a box of Wheat Thins Bigs the other week to use for a dip -- it was like $5 for 8oz and the chips are half as thin as they used to be. I'm just not gonna bother anymore with pretty much anything processed.

I wish I could, but my dumb goon brain is addicted to ice cream and jelly beans.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

E: ok fine it's a Wordle spoiler

net work error has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Apr 2, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Wakko posted:

realtalk join a leftist org and pry off some of the alienation of living in terminal capitalism. here that's the local sra chapter. your state has something goin on, even in the deep south. having a community of people who at least sometimes engage with reality is a big improvement. you can't undo the anthropocene but you can make things less lovely locally.

I was going to make a joke about getting to know the local police that way (as plants) but you're absolutely correct.

I will also add that non-political community activities can be both doing good and doing yourself good: work with community gardens & food banks, meals on wheels, aid for immigrant communities, mentoring programs, cleanup days, literacy tutoring, etc.

Most volunteer organizations & activities are geared toward people who don't have a lot of free time and they require as little as one day a month or even once a year for special events.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

gently caress you, I hadn't done it yet.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

what if we crunch the numbers without the Bad People
https://twitter.com/nsjersey/status/1642165562464673794

I'm sure those stats have nothing to do with black & immigrant populations and are only confined to chuds with political views opposite to mine. :shrug:

eta:

Shrecknet posted:

gotta be reservations and the horrific ongoing genocide that is their poor health support systems

this too.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

gently caress you, I hadn't done it yet.

It was spoiler tagged op

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Woke Mind Virus posted:

I will do this job

"Have your kid enlist in the military before going to college. It is the ultimate extracurricular and will give them the discipline that other applicants lack."

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

sullat posted:

That's only if you include non-discretionary spending which, at least for social security & Medicare, you probably shouldn't since it's basically a nationalized pension scheme. Military is a little less than half of the discretionary spending.

Funny how we hear both
* that social security & entitlements are the biggest expenses breaking the government budget and killing are economy so we have to cut it
* that social security "is going to run out of money" in X years so we have to cut it
from the same assholes.

Is it a pool of money that's going to run out later or a general expense that's breaking our budget every year? Well, it's whichever one makes you more scared!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

what’s up with nevada, and those other little red islands in the north west

some of those nevada counties only have a few thousand people. almost everyone lives in clark county (las vegas) or whatever county reno is in

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

euphronius posted:

wasn’t oil prices the only thing keeping inflation from being like 9%

yes

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

lol, remember this?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Been complaining about chips for months. Salty potato slices and pressed corn are one of the few comforts I have left in life and I'm being priced out of those.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

Could have been gun violence. Kindergartner at the school my wife taught at got killed when someone tried to kill his dad and missed

Jesus Christ

a different kid at my daughter's school has a few dudes break into her family's home to do a home invasion, murdered the mom and stole some poo poo she had been showing off on Instagram (influencer???).

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the interesting thing about this for me is that we all know what you need already- good grades, extracurricular activities, regular charity work and hopefully international, national or local awards doing stuff

these people clearly got a fail child that did none of those things so theyre paying a fixer or rain maker to “help” smooth the application process / buy the dean a new house

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

my parents hired this lovely consultant to help get me into a better college and he tried to sell them life insurance in the middle of the meeting lol.

anyway i went to the cheapest state school and was much better off for it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Wakko posted:

realtalk join a leftist org and pry off some of the alienation of living in terminal capitalism. here that's the local sra chapter. your state has something goin on, even in the deep south. having a community of people who at least sometimes engage with reality is a big improvement. you can't undo the anthropocene but you can make things less lovely locally.

joining leftist orgs gives you a number great sources of amusement: watching the disintegration of polycules, absurd infighting, and playing spotting the fed

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Harik posted:

joining leftist orgs gives you a number great sources of amusement: watching the disintegration of polycules, absurd infighting, and playing spotting the fed

"COP HAIR"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

1 million opec+ announced cuts plus 500k Russia announced cuts. Total 1.5million in cuts today. Probably not a big deal in the long run.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Relentlessboredomm posted:

here's a broad existential questions but what uh, what are we supposed to do?

like what am i as an adult supposed to be trying to do in this system? kids are out of the question, i likely won't ever be able to afford a house or at least not until im nearing 45/50. i'm constantly trying to pull myself out of a debt spiral only for the economy to poo poo its pants the second it looks like i might get on top of things. the political system is rapidly crumbling and we're a heartbeat away from throwing domestic undesirables into the same camps we throw foreign undesirables. i personally know about a half dozen people who've been shot during various mass shootings so that continues to be a large and ever increasing specter over day to day social gatherings. oh and the entire ecosystem is going to tip into a series of cascading failures in the next decade or so. im just completely at a loss for how to proceed anymore.

am i just supposed to run out the clock here?

I recently started replacing "mindless doomscrolling" with "mess around with a guitar and watch science videos", and I'm actually starting to suck less at guitar!!

You can't really do anything, so you might as well find something you *can* do that's kinda fun.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

mastershakeman posted:

Govt regs changed a while ago and drove the small farmers out of business. You have to have a climate controlled storage facility for them now instead of just piling them up in a big barn
I thinkt this changed around the end of Obama's term but just another way that good intentions of less rotting food meant more ability for the mega Corp to fix prices

this is hilarious because that's about the time whole potatos started rotting the instant you bought them. i guess they keep them longer before selling them because they're "preserved" but it doesn't really slow down the process

yet again obama proves himself the worst president

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm sure those stats have nothing to do with black & immigrant populations and are only confined to chuds with political views opposite to mine. :shrug:

its definitely a mix. its reaching through appalachia and many of the white poor counties in the south. its probably entirely down to access (both physical and financial) and red states are more likely to kill medicaid and have shutdown hospitals. detroit being like the biggest red dot in michigan is pretty telling along with WV.

so basically its poverty +medical funding, its just america is racist about that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

anime was right posted:

its definitely a mix. its reaching through appalachia and many of the white poor counties in the south. its probably entirely down to access (both physical and financial) and red states are more likely to kill medicaid and have shutdown hospitals. detroit being like the biggest red dot in michigan is pretty telling along with WV.

so basically its poverty +medical funding, its just america is racist about that.

Most parties are waging wars of genocide on the populations of the states they control, but red states are in the lead for points scored.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

while we're on fries anyone got a good potato wedge or fried potato recipe. trying to up my game but its been inconsistent going

skipping pages so if someone posted this already i hope you find strength to deal with it

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-roast-potatoes-ever-recipe

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Willa Rogers posted:

I was going to make a joke about getting to know the local police that way (as plants) but you're absolutely correct.

I will also add that non-political community activities can be both doing good and doing yourself good: work with community gardens & food banks, meals on wheels, aid for immigrant communities, mentoring programs, cleanup days, literacy tutoring, etc.

Most volunteer organizations & activities are geared toward people who don't have a lot of free time and they require as little as one day a month or even once a year for special events.

yah doing poo poo is still goony but it’s getting better and everything starts somewhere so just log off and try something

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Setting the stage for a Donald Trump presidency is all.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Nonsense posted:

watch them cut off oil entirely in july of next year

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
valuable oil in exchange for worthless dollars

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Insects should be cheap enough for protein consumption, at least until some MBA starts wiping out large swaths of them and then capturing and jacking up the price on what's left.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Nonsense posted:

Oh poo poo I was looking forward to an election that wasn’t the most important decision of my lifetime, I need to start training to vote

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

skipping pages so if someone posted this already i hope you find strength to deal with it

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-roast-potatoes-ever-recipe

this recipe loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DrPossum posted:

Very interesting much of the northern plains and inland PNW does so well.

it’s all that Scandinavian genetic life expectancy