Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Area north of lost woods feels much less important. Pretty much nothing of note along the central-north border.
This was so disappointing for me because it was one of the last areas I explored. I had it in my head that there was a lot more game for me to find, but there was just a whole lotta' nothin'. Not even good resource gathering spots. Dinraal is way easier to find on Tabantha bridge every morning.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It does at least help build the idea that they're places that escaped Ganon's wrath - they're just not important enough for the Big Evil to bother with. Just a tiny lil' fishing village with like five people in it, tucked away on a remote beach, not worth worrying about when you have all of Castle Town to obliterate
I know people complain about it being empty, but I love it, and this is a large part of why.

It's not entirely pointless or anything. There's rather a lot to do there. I spent a lot of time there. But it's far removed enough from everything and just irrelevant enough to make it feel like there's a whole world out there of people just going about their lives. It really tied the game together for me.

Kassad posted:

If he's out of arrows, it's because the game considers you have too many arrows already. I guess in that case you can murder your way up the path to Zora's domain?
If you teleport to the Eventide shrine, there's a tiny little island... behind it, I think? You paraglide down and there's always a chest in the water you can magnesis up with arrows in it. Teleport back, glide back down, it's there again.

Best arrow farming spot in the game and it completely bypasses the gently caress-you-you-have-enough-arrows-and-can't-buy-more problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I'm told Lurelin is really great for little kids first getting into games (like, 4-6 range). They can cook, catch fish, grab some crabs, and just generally play house in a chill zone and maybe go an an adventure if they're feeling brave.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It does at least help build the idea that they're places that escaped Ganon's wrath - they're just not important enough for the Big Evil to bother with. Just a tiny lil' fishing village with like five people in it, tucked away on a remote beach, not worth worrying about when you have all of Castle Town to obliterate

I thought it was Zelda keeping Ganon in check for a century in some weird spirit battle until Link came, that prevented the rest of Hyrule being a smoking ruin

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Another thing I'm excited about for this game is the music. (I assume they're keeping the same composer from the last game.) As much as Koji Kondo's tunes are iconic, the BotW composer did an amazing job with the modern, sparse piano tracks.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I am a horrible, horrible dork and am hoping they announce a Tears of the Kingdom guidebook that matches the BotW guidebook and the Hyrule Historia books on my shelf. Absolutely gorgeous stuff in those.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I am a horrible, horrible dork and am hoping they announce a Tears of the Kingdom guidebook that matches the BotW guidebook and the Hyrule Historia books on my shelf. Absolutely gorgeous stuff in those.

I'm about to re finish BOTW. (Played and beat on the WII U, on the switch I have beaten the four beasts and am in the middle of the bonus content with the sword, so I still have plenty of time to play that part). I have the hardbound guide book and I freaking love it. I would buy a Tears of the Kingdom guidebook in a hot second.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw a few posts now saying caves are back in a big way and I wanted to ask where was that confirmed outside one of the two cutscenes being in one

Not really saying it's impossible but the only caves I remember were little holes with a shrine in them in 1 and I don't recall seeing anything about them in 2

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

There was a trailer with a wide shot of an before-unseen location that people are speculating is underground because of an -oblin mining operation and what appear to be giant mushrooms. Another trailer shows a hinox chasing link through a tunnel.

Yeah, this shot specifically:

You can see some stalactites on the left, and I think very faintly in the background in the middle, so it does look to be underground. It's definitely not anywhere in BoTW and looks nothing like the sky islands. The ghost fires on the right also hint at it being kinda underworld-related.

Also in the E3 2021 teaser you also see Link fighting a worm monster with a flamethrower fused to his shield, and that's in a cave too.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Oh oh I hope we can build houses and make little camps and stuff. A couple of people have pointed out what looks like building materials laying around so maybe. Maybe I should just play minecraft.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Had my Switch like 3 years and this is probably gonna be the first game I buy brand new :toot:

I also just swapped my hardly-played SSB for Link's Awakening, which I've been wanting to play for a while. TBH I am not all that big on traditional Zelda, but have heard a lot of good things about it and the art style grabbed me.

I am going back through the DLC for BoTW right now because I never got that dang motorbike. I've done two of the 4 EX Champion's Ballad quests and am in the middle of the third, but having a devil of a time hitting all 4 targets in the air to unlock the shrine, even with a full 3-wheel stamina bar. Maybe I'm just rusty.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Ive done a no fast travel run of botw and it’s amazing how much stuff you miss with fast travel

I was playing the other night, watching the pretty blue fast travel "beam me up" animation and thinking it'd be an interesting game mechanic if it dropped you down to 1/2 a heart (or killed you if you were below a certain amount), since it's literally tearing you apart.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Had my Switch like 3 years and this is probably gonna be the first game I buy brand new :toot:

If you don't mind waiting a couple years you could buy it used for a few bucks less

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldI9OyQUm78

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
No I absolutely want that to happen again

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw a few posts now saying caves are back in a big way and I wanted to ask where was that confirmed outside one of the two cutscenes being in one

Not really saying it's impossible but the only caves I remember were little holes with a shrine in them in 1 and I don't recall seeing anything about them in 2

in the gameplay video there were map icons that indicate caves, some of which have checkmarks on them. aonuma goes into the entrance of a cave to show off the ascend ability and you can see on the minimap that, yep, this cave is marked on the map by one of those icons, and you can briefly glimpse a path going further into the cave

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 3, 2023

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair enough! Just didn't notice the cave markers so here's to hoping there's some interesting stuff in em'.

Really as cool as fuse is I really want treasures to be worthwhile and not 'you fought really hard here's a flame sword that breaks in 2 hits that you can find elsewhere' type of stuff. Especially with fuse around really.
Kind of the issue I had with Skyward Sword sidequests just giving you fruit gummies to trade in- just not as exciting even if it ultimately ends in the better reward.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When I wanted the master sword I had to trade my max stamina to some creepy statue to temporarily convert them hearts and then do it back. I have many durian and beets, I need not your hearts.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That statue bothered me. It was fantastic to be able to swap between health and stamina, but the way you go about doing so felt like it was designed to waste your time in the most petty way. Hopefully they'll streamline the equivalent feature in the new game, but it's Nintendo so I have my doubts.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

LividLiquid posted:

I know people complain about it being empty, but I love it, and this is a large part of why.

It's not entirely pointless or anything. There's rather a lot to do there. I spent a lot of time there. But it's far removed enough from everything and just irrelevant enough to make it feel like there's a whole world out there of people just going about their lives. It really tied the game together for me.

If you teleport to the Eventide shrine, there's a tiny little island... behind it, I think? You paraglide down and there's always a chest in the water you can magnesis up with arrows in it. Teleport back, glide back down, it's there again.

Best arrow farming spot in the game and it completely bypasses the gently caress-you-you-have-enough-arrows-and-can't-buy-more problem.

Yeah, I like it as a little "break" from the main game. It's kinda cool having a peaceful little idyllic village to hang out and do some low stakes quests in. Not gonna lie though, that whale Beast someone else was talking about would have been cool.

Also thanks for that arrow farming tip, came in helpful. I put on a podcast and stocked up... then realised the Swallow Bow leaning up against the wall back at the range (low damage, but shorter draw time) makes it a lot easier...

Khanstant posted:

If you don't mind waiting a couple years you could buy it used for a few bucks less

It's crazy how well first party titles hold their value for Nintendo systems!

Joyboy
Mar 18, 2021

I'm sure everyone feels the same.
It's 8 in the morning, and I can feel the Zelda energy flowing through me.

Malice = Red = Power = Din
Shiekah = Blue = Wisdom = Nayru
Zonai = Green = Courage = Farore

The Shiekah are always associated with Zelda, who typically holds the triforce of wisdom. Ganondorf has always been malicious and red, so that fits too. The Zonai are green; do you know who else is green? Thats right.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Just Andi Now posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but I've seen some people just absolutely destroy Hyrule Guessr, and that's just the people putting that on youtube.

Total: 21287pts on the first try, haven't played botw since the dlc came out.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

goethe.cx posted:

Another thing I'm excited about for this game is the music. (I assume they're keeping the same composer from the last game.) As much as Koji Kondo's tunes are iconic, the BotW composer did an amazing job with the modern, sparse piano tracks.

Every so often I put on the soundtrack just to chill out and usually get some writing or video editing done, especially this upload coupled with rain sounds. There's something both calming and heartbreaking about the whole soundtrack, despite it getting some flack from reviewers early on for being too 'plinky-plunky' and 'boring'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHGrnuCEo4

The Maroon Hawk posted:

There’s a decent argument to be made that Lurelin Village was meant to be involved in the plot, probably involving another Divine Beast based in the ocean, and all of that was cut during development

The main two arguments are A) that entire region being the only really irrelevant region in the final game, almost like there was supposed to be something big there, and B) there’s a whale-looking Divine Beast figurine hanging from the ceiling of the Hateno Lab that also closely resembles one of the Divine Beasts in the concert art

It’d be cool to see them bring that cut concept back, like they did with Link’s hosed-up arm

This guy does some really interesting deep-dive videos about the game, including completing the game in a minimalist 100% challenge run (get all the Koroks, unlock all the main map landmarks, simply activating the shrines without actually going into them since they're not required etc.) He released this video on the theory recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8WZqM6xKWY

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I just scored a TotK OLED Switch, so I'm feeling smug as gently caress right now.

Anyone know what interesting jailbreaky things I can do with my old one?

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
Very much looking forward to this release. My first play through I got all the towers, shrines, master sword trial, ballad of champions but never bothered with going after Ganon. Then the game sat until the pandemic and I decided that playing from my last playthrough would be boring so restarted the whole game. I had 1 rule, I was not going to activate any of the towers except the required one on the plateau. It actually made the game more enjoyable as I had to use in game mechanics to figure out where I should head. Like I would get on a mountain and look around for structures that piqued my interest. Mark them and then head out.

Peachy Nietzsche fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 3, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Peachy Nietzsche posted:

Very much looking forward to this release. My first play through I got all the towers, shrines, master sword trial, ballad of champions but never bothered with going after Ganon. Then the game sat until the pandemic and I decided that playing from my last playthrough would be boring so restarted the whole game. I had 1 tule, I was not going to activate any of the towers except the required one on the plateau. It actually made the game more enjoyable as I had to use in game mechanics to figure out where I should head. Like I would get on a mountain and look around for structures that peaked my interest. Mark them and then head out.

This gives me so much anxiety.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Where do things currently stand on the debate of whether there are 2 cutscenes or 3 cutscenes? Are there youtube communities divided among each group?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The cutscenes will only be viewable through an app on your phone. If you want to download the app you need to fax Nintendo headquarters the request and hope they approve you as a true fan.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the third cutscene will actually be in Fortnite

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Somehow, Ganondorf returned.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
For sale, two triforce pieces never claimed

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sam Faust posted:

Somehow, Ganondorf returned.
In the very first scene of the game, they'll fully explain how he came back, but people will still make a meme about how it was never explained.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I wonder if Link will brutally slay Ganon like he did in Wind Waker.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Khanstant posted:

The cutscenes will only be viewable through an app on your phone. If you want to download the app you need to fax Nintendo headquarters the request and hope they approve you as a true fan.

You need to join Nintendo's IRC channel, which will supply you with a username/password to ssh into a server where the encrypted cutscenes can be downloaded.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LividLiquid posted:

In the very first scene of the game, they'll fully explain how he came back, but people will still make a meme about how it was never explained.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

epic bacon posted:

Where do things currently stand on the debate of whether there are 2 cutscenes or 3 cutscenes? Are there youtube communities divided among each group?

There's a frontpage are cutscenes in Zelda?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Mister Facetious posted:

There's a frontpage are cutscenes in Zelda?
There's a three hour cutscene in the beginning of the game showing how Link and Snake train to fight the Metal Gears. It's unskipable and actually has three random quicktime events in there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hated the cutscenes in BotW where Link ate some hosed up berries and just shat himself in the wilderness for 3 days.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When your horse takes damage, how is it healed? Is it just whenever I board it at the stables, or does it restore over time, or does feeding it help?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

YggiDee posted:

When your horse takes damage, how is it healed? Is it just whenever I board it at the stables, or does it restore over time, or does feeding it help?

you have to put it down. i'm so sorry

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I accidentally killed my first horse in botw by running it off a cliff where it took fall damage. I bailed and parasailed away.

I felt horrible

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

kidcoelacanth posted:

you have to put it down. i'm so sorry

the smoke coming out of the stables in the totk gameplay is actually the new feature where you can turn your horse into glue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I accidentally killed my first horse in botw by running it off a cliff where it took fall damage. I bailed and parasailed away.

I felt horrible

Being Yoshi'd to help you gain distance is a noble death for any mount