Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Puppy Burner posted:

They eat a diet low in red meat (the meat has bioaccumulated more plastic and industrial toxins than you ever could).

i dunno fish probably have a zillion microplastics in them.

its probably japan uses fewer preservatives and insulin is probably managed better by walking everywhere. insulin seems to be the ultimate gatekeeper tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's interesting seeing a bunch of goons who obviously have elevated assessments of their own intelligences trying to compare "all our food and beverages are shrinkwrapped in soft plastics" to spurious "the internet! bedsheets! fish! *holds up spork*" correlations.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

lol the place near me made the list! they just forget to mention some of highest property taxes in the whole country.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's interesting seeing a bunch of goons who obviously have elevated assessments of their own intelligences trying to compare "all our food and beverages are shrinkwrapped in soft plastics" to spurious "the internet! bedsheets! fish! *holds up spork*" correlations.

nice ad hominem, if it makes you feel better about your life go ahead and pretend you're somehow winning an argument against lazy shitposters who aren't actually taking the conversation seriously at all.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

webcams for christ posted:

ah yes plastics couldn't possibly be a co-correlate or be a proxy for other environmental, economic, and social factors, no sir. Definitely the plastics magically changing thermodynamics

it’s so fat amerikkkans can justify their waistlines to themselves

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

have you ever been to japan lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

500 good dogs posted:

have you ever been to japan lol

Japan? The country that noticed their obesity rates climbing, went "This seems bad", and passed legislation in 2008 to get it under control?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's time to pass legislation against margarine to save the institution of marriage

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Japan? The country that noticed their obesity rates climbing, went "This seems bad", and passed legislation in 2008 to get it under control?

yes that country, have you been there before

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

obesity is also unfortunately a disease that has fucktons of evidence for genetic risk factors but we'd rather blame saran wrap than a cruel god

edit: (genetic risk factors that only express themselves as risk factors in the presence of an Obesogenic Environment of course)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Glad we could tie this back to genetics chat. Maybe if we all put our heads together we can figure out which groups are genetically inferior when it comes to IQ and obesity.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Read about the changing American diet and the role refined sugars play in virtually everything we eat now. Doctors have been sounding the alarm for decades about this and we've just decided not to give a poo poo because that would get in the way of our megacorps' big, beautiful profits. "Calories in go up, calories out go down" is a simple, clean explanation of the obesity epidemic.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

That Works posted:

I peaced out of my local SRA chapter when the extremely online 20 year olds in it decided that all of the white cishet males in the org needed to go though some kind of re-education/ de-indoctrination course which they spent a weekend talking about. Same group had sone very strong opinions on China and that all media coverage of any “ fraudulent genocides” were purely imperialist in origin.

lol jesus christ

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I mean they dump highly processed sugar into loving everything three days that probably doesn't help.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
its all the legal weed now causing the munchies!!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nonsense posted:

Japan lost an entire decade they cannot afford to slow down development, also they must rearm.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

ccp's TikTok is tricking all our youth into partaking in increasingly dangerous competitive eating challenges! they're trying to drink a gallon of whole milk ALL AT ONCE

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

obesity is also unfortunately a disease that has fucktons of evidence for genetic risk factors but we'd rather blame saran wrap than a cruel god

edit: (genetic risk factors that only express themselves as risk factors in the presence of an Obesogenic Environment of course)
But then we're right back to figuring out what in the environment is causing Obesogenesis.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The_Franz posted:

lol $750k is basically some spare change in the couch to these places. I wasn't joking about needing to donate a building just to be noticed.

You talk to people who work in these places and it's mind-boggling how dysfunctional they are internally, but they have so much money flying around that it doesn't matter. Basically the organizational equivalent of someone buying a new car every time the old one gets dirty.

the ivy league schools are hedge funds with vestigial universities attached

harvard's endowment is $50-60B. By contrast, the world's largest hedge fund, Bridgewater Associates, has an AUM of $126B, and the third largest, Renaissance Technologies, has an AUM of $57B according to wikipedia

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they no poo poo listed North Dakota

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

can’t afford a down payment ? try Pittsburgh where you can get a 140 year old row house with no parking for 400k

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mr Hootington posted:

Glad we could tie this back to genetics chat. Maybe if we all put our heads together we can figure out which groups are genetically inferior when it comes to IQ and obesity.

before we start the revolution we need to be sure that workers are doing the jobs appropriate to their race

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

ccp's TikTok is tricking all our youth into partaking in increasingly dangerous competitive eating challenges! they're trying to drink a gallon of whole milk ALL AT ONCE

a gallon of milk? in this economy?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cat botherer posted:

But then we're right back to figuring out what in the environment is causing Obesogenesis.

fortunately "Obesogenic environment" is very well-defined in the literature, and easy to search for since "Obesogenic" is almost exclusively used in academic research and public health policy

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

the ivy league schools are hedge funds with vestigial universities attached

hey that's not entirely true! some of them are better described as REITs with vestigial universities attached

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

is pepsi ok posted:

Marx said it has a tendency to fall, which is exactly what that graph shows. We literally devote the entirety of our society to making that number go up and stay up but it keeps falling back down.

It wouldn't fall down if you tried harder!!!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I haven't been in this thread for too long but I think it is very funny that it seems to reliably switch back and forth between coming to a dialectical consensus on geopolitical economic realities and violently disagreeing on :biotruths: every three or four pages

Anyway I second the suggestion for that one goon to find other leftists to organize with in their area. I've been doing food security mutual aid in my city for several years now and not only has it helped with the crushing weight of late capitalist neoliberal despair, it's earned me a gaggle of wonderful leftist pals and comrades who I love to death.

Also seconding that joining a leftist group is a blast cause it means you'll get to witness incredible drama. Every leftist group at least partially crosses over with every other leftist group in the area, so you'll hear about it when the punk anarcho-communist flophouse that did weekly sandwich drops to the homeless camp has a complete meltdown because a member of the vanguard polycule made out with someone's ex who got accused of being an unprincipled communist, and everyone demands that everyone else do a self crit lock-in to prove who was right and who was wrong, but no one is willing to do it, and then they find out they're all getting evicted anyway because the treasurer spent all the group's money on drugs and gacha phone games.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mélenchon is right

https://twitter.com/broderly/status/1641910171914891264

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

That Works posted:

Same group had sone very strong opinions on China and that all media coverage of any “ fraudulent genocides” were purely imperialist in origin.

You had a tough choice to make based on their mix of bullshit and objectively true statements like the above, you have my sympathies

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The Demilich posted:

It wouldn't fall down if you tried harder!!!
I bet if it lost some weight it wouldn’t fall down as much.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

fortunately "Obesogenic environment" is very well-defined in the literature, and easy to search for since "Obesogenic" is almost exclusively used in academic research and public health policy
Sure, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a really funny word.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNBCMakeIt/status/1642647014776160257?s=20

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

I haven't been in this thread for too long but I think it is very funny that it seems to reliably switch back and forth between coming to a dialectical consensus on geopolitical economic realities and violently disagreeing on :biotruths: every three or four pages

Anyway I second the suggestion for that one goon to find other leftists to organize with in their area. I've been doing food security mutual aid in my city for several years now and not only has it helped with the crushing weight of late capitalist neoliberal despair, it's earned me a gaggle of wonderful leftist pals and comrades who I love to death.

Also seconding that joining a leftist group is a blast cause it means you'll get to witness incredible drama. Every leftist group at least partially crosses over with every other leftist group in the area, so you'll hear about it when the punk anarcho-communist flophouse that did weekly sandwich drops to the homeless camp has a complete meltdown because a member of the vanguard polycule made out with someone's ex who got accused of being an unprincipled communist, and everyone demands that everyone else do a self crit lock-in to prove who was right and who was wrong, but no one is willing to do it, and then they find out they're all getting evicted anyway because the treasurer spent all the group's money on drugs and gacha phone games.

So what you're saying is I need to join one of those groups and get promoted to treasurer?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SlimGoodbody posted:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

that one's fun

it's ultraprocessed foods, kevin hall at NIH did several studies over a month long period where they monitored people at their facilities (they were literally not allowed to leave). they found no clinically significant difference between low fat and low carb, which was also checked in a meta-analysis (low fat actually did better, but only statistically, not clinically)

very long story short, people in the ultraprocessed group ate 500 calories a day more on average than the unprocessed. some interesting reasons for this have to do with ultraprocessed food being consumed much more quickly than natural food, and some hypotesized effects of how ultraprocessed foods affect ghrelin

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

just move to New Jersey god drat

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

that’s a pretty good way to resolve a less productive world. it might be the only way.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

That Works posted:

I peaced out of my local SRA chapter when the extremely online 20 year olds in it decided that all of the white cishet males in the org needed to go though some kind of re-education/ de-indoctrination course which they spent a weekend talking about. Same group had sone very strong opinions on China and that all media coverage of any “ fraudulent genocides” were purely imperialist in origin.

they’re right though. china is perfect in every way

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

actionjackson posted:

it's ultraprocessed foods, kevin hall at NIH did several studies over a month long period where they monitored people at their facilities (they were literally not allowed to leave). they found no clinically significant difference between low fat and low carb, which was also checked in a meta-analysis (low fat actually did better, but only statistically, not clinically)

very long story short, people in the ultraprocessed group ate 500 calories a day more on average than the unprocessed. some interesting reasons for this have to do with ultraprocessed food being consumed much more quickly than natural food, and some hypotesized effects of how ultraprocessed foods affect ghrelin

Modern food science has perfected creating food that punches the pleasure center in the brain in such a way it's essentially second nature to over eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Japan lost an entire decade they cannot afford to slow down development, also they must rearm.

America is going to nuke Japan again because it is incapable of doing anything new.