Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Versys X 300.

Don't bother.

I'm not saying it's a bad bike, just that it's kind of pointless to try and get more power from it. That is a small dual sport (ish) made for easy riding in a variety of conditions. It is not meant to be a power monster in the first place. The extra 3 horsepower you'll get from the upgrades you propose is not significant.

If you absolutely must have more straight line speed, just trade it in for something with a bigger engine. Doing so will be cheaper, quicker, and easier, with vastly more of a power boost and better reliability to boot. (This is generally always the right answer vs. winding the bejesus out of something small).

Slavvy is of course correct that horsepower is the last thing that affects how fast of a rider you are. It doesn't sound like you're trying to win time trials on this bike, but if you were, you'd start with tires, suspension, and brakes.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I guess it might make it feel a bit better on highways where there are inclines and I am at high RPMs.

If you don't like high RPMs, go down one tooth on the rear sprocket. If you are riding regularly on the highway and it's too buzzy, get something bigger. The upgrades you propose are not going to do anything for that.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

How much does doing all that cost? Can you trade in for a Ninja 400 for roughly the same?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

If you don't like high RPMs, go down one tooth on the rear sprocket. If you are riding regularly on the highway and it's too buzzy, get something bigger. The upgrades you propose are not going to do anything for that.

It's not that, I think it would shift the power band a bit higher. I don't mind the high rpms. After like 10k it starts trailing off I feel, redline is 13. Highway I am usually around 8-9 on a flat.

I probably won't ever sell the bike, my next bike is either a KTM 500ish\gasgas\husq sumo, or a CBR600rr. Probably the former.

I already have a seat concepts seat coming in, and put racetech suspension in the front. The back probably is going to get something custom from YSS.

Taking it to tall pines in a month or so, on K60 Ranger tires to try off road, then switching to road 6s.

I got the bike so I can try a bunch of poo poo. It's been to the track at NYST a couple times.

The bike is getting comfortable as hell with the suspension and seat upgrades. 😂

I don't see riding a sumo on the highway for hours at a time, and I don't have space for like 5 bikes, so the versys is probably a long term thing. I think I might have more fun tracking a sumo than a cbr600rr and there's some kart tracks around here that allow bikes and that might be fun.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 2, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Re-gear it and put money into the suspension imo.

Accentuate what you’ve already got before chasing dyno numbers

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao yeah that's all just a catastrophic waste of money. If you want more speed get a faster bike, the gains from suspension and wheels/tyres are an order of magnitude more than anything you can do to the engine, this applies to all categories and sizes of bike. The gains come as a percentage of your existing horsepower, a full system and power commander is worth 5-10hp on a fireblade so feel free to do the maths on a 300cc parallel twin.

On basically every race track in my country a properly built up 20yo 600 will absolutely trounce a stock modern literbike fwiw. Chassis parts are where the laptimes come from. If you just want more power cause power is fun, get a bigger bike.

You're also suffering from that syndrome that we all get where you think it's possible to have one bike that does it all. It's not, they are a specialized tool and the better you make them at one thing the worse they are at other things.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 3, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There's something incredibly reassuring about riding a stock, unmolested and reliable bike

*rides a 22 yr old KTM into the dune sunset

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Changing out the steering bearings on my bike has fixed so much about it that I have been floating on air the last few rides. It just feels like all the vagueness is gone.

I’m trying to chase that high and now I’m eyeing some gold valve emulators. Do you think they’ll have any effect? Or is it a waste putting them into a bike that’s admittedly not worth it (but which I’m pretty sure I’m going to ride for another 40,000 miles at least).

The bike is a 1997 CB750, which is a bored-out refresh of the 1985 CB650SC. Think of right-side-up Showa forks from that era and you’ve pretty much nailed it. I mostly tour on the thing, and I’m looking for a better ride on bumpy country roads and feeling safer in turns.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Re-gear it and put money into the suspension imo.

I was looking at the Versys 300 before I got my China bike and if you mess with the gearing by more than a couple teeth it throws an error and disables the gear indicator and possibly the ABS. Maybe they've changed it in the past 3 years but :shrug:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Dog Case posted:

I was looking at the Versys 300 before I got my China bike and if you mess with the gearing by more than a couple teeth it throws an error and disables the gear indicator and possibly the ABS. Maybe they've changed it in the past 3 years but :shrug:

This is facts still - people are figuring out the electronics though and have overridden it.
I don't feel the bike is geared poorly at all. I personally don't want to change it - don't want to lower the top end RPMs as the bike would lose acceleration at highway speeds. I already often drop to 5th if I want to pass, it does so at an OK clip. I wouldn't go the other way either as the bike already runs pretty high RPMs on the highway.
First gear is short but...it's an ADV.

I'm not too worried about power. It was just a question. I am not trying to win any races. I was thinking it may "struggle" if I take it through the mountains in PA with luggage - but when I say struggle I mean I would have to plan passing cars on a highway in that situation. I am not finding it lacking acceleration on the highway for normal riding, I am ~155 lbs.

I probably won't mess with the exhaust or intake - hypothetically if I did, I would be OK with moving the powerband up and losing some low end torque. But like...I don't want to be on a noisy rear end bike for hours, so I don't want to make it super loud either. I actually like how quiet it is, stock. If it wasn't a commuter bike, I'd feel different.

I don't know though, there are some really versatile bikes out there - the bike I have I feel is pretty versatile in everything but it is NOT a sports bike. It's not particularly heavy though.
I absolutely saw some T7s at the track. That bike is pretty versatile. The Ducati Hypermotard seems versatile too.

I don't think I would have fun with the Versys 650 or 1000 at the track. I am probably fine for this year on what I have, hopefully will make it out of novice but I have a ton to work on, and the bike isn't holding me back at all working on trail braking, when to brake, when to accelerate, picking good cornering lines etc.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 3, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just plan your highways passes out. Drop it two gears if you have to. The rev limiter is there to keep you from damaging the engine. If you hit it, it’s fine.

Also it’s a Japanese bike. They all love the revs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

Changing out the steering bearings on my bike has fixed so much about it that I have been floating on air the last few rides. It just feels like all the vagueness is gone.

I’m trying to chase that high and now I’m eyeing some gold valve emulators. Do you think they’ll have any effect? Or is it a waste putting them into a bike that’s admittedly not worth it (but which I’m pretty sure I’m going to ride for another 40,000 miles at least).

The bike is a 1997 CB750, which is a bored-out refresh of the 1985 CB650SC. Think of right-side-up Showa forks from that era and you’ve pretty much nailed it. I mostly tour on the thing, and I’m looking for a better ride on bumpy country roads and feeling safer in turns.

I don't know what your financial situation is so I can't say if it's 'worth' it but they would absolutely make a huge difference and will also make you acutely aware of how garbage the shocks are. Luckily shocks are also a really easy thing to change that makes a huge difference. Imo shocks are the bigger gain of the two on bikes like that.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

I don't know what your financial situation is so I can't say if it's 'worth' it but they would absolutely make a huge difference and will also make you acutely aware of how garbage the shocks are.
Cost isn’t really a problem, I just ride cheap bikes because I stress less over them. I’m always skeptical whether some new farkle will make a difference for me is why I was wondering about the emulators. If they’d make the bike less skittish on an old road it’s worth it for me; I’ll make it up in miles ridden.

Edit: rear shocks are already replaced assuming that’s what you mean.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 3, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean rear shocks with something better than just the stock ones, if you've already got that then carry on.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Ulf posted:

Cost isn’t really a problem, I just ride cheap bikes because I stress less over them. I’m always skeptical whether some new farkle will make a difference for me is why I was wondering about the emulators. If they’d make the bike less skittish on an old road it’s worth it for me; I’ll make it up in miles ridden.

Edit: rear shocks are already replaced assuming that’s what you mean.

Anecdotal as Slavvy recently convinced me to upgrade my front.

I put gold valves in a cheap 300cc adv bike. The bike has only ever felt skiddish once without them, and it was on a track, after some heavy front braking into a downhill 180 degree curve. I bottomed out the front fork and the handlebars and bike sorta bucked and it freaked me the hell out. I stood up the bike, let myself go wide on the corner, wasn't going to try to save it, was more concerned about being in control, came to a stop on the grass.

That situation would never come up on the street. I was trying to take the turn a bit faster each time, trying to brake a bit later. I hit the limit of some combination of my skill and the bike, probably mostly my skill but a coach told me I probably can't try to take that turn as fast as I was trying on the bike I was on. He saw what happened which led me down the path of upgrading the suspension.

_However_ I have been on a few rides on the street since doing it, and things I thought were normal and not problematic are different.

Going over ruts and chopped up pavement, the front used to feel unstable. I didn't ever think anything of it if the bike wandered slightly or the handlebars shook. The bike wants to go straight at speed. The MSF class said that over bridges or certain terrain, it's normal for bikes to wander a little.

Going over raised bumps on lovely highway, the handlebars would be rough on my wrists. I kinda always just loosened up over them.

The cart emus have made the front end really soft when it comes to chopped up pavement, but stiffer on gradual braking, less brake dive. The handlebars no longer shake around with the road condition changing, and over bad pavement it's nicer on my wrists.

It _feels_ really good.

I don't think basic damping rod suspension is dangerous for general lawful street riding in any normal situation.

I think I may benefit on the track or offroad with the suspension change. I have bottomed out the front off road too before.

I don't think stock suspension is going to be a major factor wiping out in the street. Regular street riding shouldn't stress the grip of tires, capabilities of the rider, or the suspension.

For me, I feel it was worth it due to the situations I am putting the bike in. And after feeling it in the street, I don't regret it at all for general purpose. I haven't even tried to push it yet. I want to try testing how much my forks are compressing under load with some heavy front braking with some zip ties soon. Hopefully I didn't make it too stiff, it feels good.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 3, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The 300cc class is limited because of the European A2 licence class that limits power output to 35kW. I don't think it's an euro 5 issue.

Check out the power of all those 300cc things and you'll probably find that many of them put out exactly 35kW/48hp.

E: Or am i confusing those with 500cc? I know the newest CBF500 was 48hp because of the a2 rules, instead of 55ish before that licence class was introduced.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 3, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I do not think 300's are casually putting out 48 HP. Rung out 250cc MC bikes get in that territory.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
They are usually sold as 40, actually make 32-35.
https://www.norton-motorsports.com/yamaha-r3-mt03-exhaust-dyno-test-and-superbike-build/

This guy went ham on a mt03. The full exhaust system definitely lowers low end power for a modest high end gain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

This guy went ham on a mt03. The full exhaust system definitely lowers low end power for a modest high end gain.

Unless you're exclusively racing the thing, that's the exact opposite of what you want on a little bike like that, in my opinion.

Also out of curiosity wtf is going on with this KTM torque curve?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 3, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ReaDy To Race!

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 3, 2023

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sagebrush posted:

Also out of curiosity wtf is going on with this KTM torque curve?

The answer these days is almost always "emissions"

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Unless you're exclusively racing the thing, that's the exact opposite of what you want on a little bike like that, in my opinion.

Norton is specifically building race bikes. I didn’t read that article linked but I imagine target use case is not street riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gYXOIW8emo

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FBS posted:

The answer these days is almost always "emissions"

It's this. Power delivery at low speeds sucks. I added a FuelX Lite to mine which cleaned it up nicely.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
The on street CRF450RL and KTM bikes are worth modifying the exhaust and airbox and ecu. I know the Honda gets neuteted compared to the stock dirtbike version.

I think I really want a KTM 690 SMC R.

Why the gently caress don't bikes regularly have cam phasers\vvt yet?

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 3, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

your bike doesn't have VTEC? :smugdog:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

A MIRACLE posted:

your bike doesn't have VTEC? :smugdog:

Suzuki has a really cool VVT system. It's entirely mechanical, uses centrifugal force and little balls that lock the cam in place with the sprocket. As the engine revs up the cam changes phases. I think it is due to MotoGP rules about not having electronic valve timing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Suzuki supremacy

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hmm I've never owned a suzuki... the katana would look pretty sick alongside the VFR

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Suzuki supremacy
:mmmhmm:

lol nice name change

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Some Ducatis have vvt, some Harleys have it, bmw have it. It just hasn't got that much value compared to the cost of implementing it unless you're in an edge case eg dr a. dentist wants an adv that works like an adv but also has pub bragging horsepower. Hence the bikes with vvt are adv's. Nobody on a normal bike needs it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

:mmmhmm:

lol nice name change

:haibrower:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

This is facts still - people are figuring out the electronics though and have overridden it.
I don't feel the bike is geared poorly at all. I personally don't want to change it - don't want to lower the top end RPMs as the bike would lose acceleration at highway speeds. I already often drop to 5th if I want to pass, it does so at an OK clip. I wouldn't go the other way either as the bike already runs pretty high RPMs on the highway.
First gear is short but...it's an ADV.

I'm not too worried about power. It was just a question. I am not trying to win any races. I was thinking it may "struggle" if I take it through the mountains in PA with luggage - but when I say struggle I mean I would have to plan passing

Oh no you have to change gears and think about what you’re doing on the road??

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Russian Bear posted:

Oh no you have to change gears and think about what you’re doing on the road??

I mean I don't want to replace the rear or front sprocket as I feel it is geared well stock. If I could spend a grand, and get 10-5% more power in the top RPMs, and sacrifice 5% in the lower rpms, and not make the bike loud as poo poo, I would.

It's not a priority, but I was curious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I mean I don't want to replace the rear or front sprocket as I feel it is geared well stock. If I could spend a grand, and get 10-5% more power in the top RPMs, and sacrifice 5% in the lower rpms, and not make the bike loud as poo poo, I would.

It's not a priority, but I was curious.

You would not feel an extra 3hp

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Think it's OK to practice threshold braking with the front only? My track friend says I should practice it. To this point I've only ever used both brakes at once. I'm vaguely concerned about the bike wanting to do a stoppie, or the tire losing grip and the bike going out of control. I feel like using the back as well as the front adds stability. I do understand the concept of squeezing in control, not grabbing, as the tire needs forces to be loaded so it compresses and gives good surface area contact vs sliding.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 4, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's unlikely the front will fold or lock unless your traction suddenly decreases. Do a couple runs before you really honk down on it. Even if it does, you're doing this with intense deliberate focus, so you can probably save it. Using the rear does add stability, but as the braking increases, the rear loses weight and therefore grip, so you have to release the rear as you slow. You'll probably lock up the rear a few times. If/when the rear comes off the ground, you will certainly feel it. It's a weird sensation at first but you'll get used to it. When you get more comfortable you can practice keeping it rolling by releasing a little bit of front pressure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Think it's OK to practice threshold braking with the front only? My track friend says I should practice it. To this point I've only ever used both brakes at once. I'm vaguely concerned about the bike wanting to do a stoppie, or the tire losing grip and the bike going out of control. I feel like using the back as well as the front adds stability. I do understand the concept of squeezing in control, not grabbing, as the tire needs forces to be loaded so it compresses and gives good surface area contact vs sliding.

What you need is more power

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

practice doing stoppies aren't you on like a dirt bike

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

What you need is more power

Next year 🙏
Yes. And more track friends.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
While I was swapping out my clutch plates (to ditch the infamous Sportster spring plate before it grenades my clutch basket) the noticed my shifter shaft has a fair bit of play. It does go through a hole in the primary cover which holds it in place so maybe it doesn’t matter. But I do still have a grindy/notchy shift, only from 1st to 2nd, only sometimes, so maybe this is related. How much play is too much.

https://i.imgur.com/ayH4rOj.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Totally normal