Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
those exist they're just a lot less polished and mostly late first/second age. the extensive writing Tolkien did about the third age is the trilogy and appendicies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Quenta Silmarillion is the man-centered vision of myth-history. Note how it ends with the reminder that the Dunedain are direct descendants of the one guy who saved everything and is still out there in space making sure Melkor doesn’t come back and gently caress us all up. Before following up with two important appendices on how after the elves finished loving up the ancient world, men hosed the ancient world up in their turn, and then did their best to give antiquity a decent burial.

Also note how like half the stories are about men fooling around with elven-maids on their way to metaphorical or literal immortality. coincidentally engendering the half-elven and elf-friendly men who (el)finesse this stuff into nicely bound books of lore.

Basically what I’m saying is just imagine how the Silmarillion would have looked if Tolkien had decided Feanor’s descendants were the ones writing it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ans thus did the sons of the sons of the sons of the one coolest elf of all time, Fëanor, do everything, and btw they were very cool, like so cool

"no they...." jealous much?????

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 10, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I gotta finish it before more sum total judgements.

And so Maeglin devised ever more complex devices, each more likely than the last for a sibling to get stuck inside.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Been audiobooking on my commute and found lotr audiobooks have been done by Andy serkis. Just started rotk and it owns

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tolkien has some top tier audiobooks. the Narn has Christopher Lee. the nirnaeth arnoediad in particular fuckin owns

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Food Boner posted:

lotr audiobooks have been done by Andy serkis.

:stare:

That sounds amazing. I need to find them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

indigi posted:

Tolkien has some top tier audiobooks. the Narn has Christopher Lee. the nirnaeth arnoediad in particular fuckin owns

I don't understand how the Nirnaeth Arnoediad gets such a tone of bleakness and horror despite being largely in the same broad overview style. It's so good.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Zesty posted:

:stare:

That sounds amazing. I need to find them.

This. Checked them out from my local library and listen on libby

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
I was listening to the Andy Serkis audio books in the car with my mother and she reminded me that we used to have a collection of tapes of the bbc dramatisation that she had taped off the radio, and it turns out someone has uploaded them all to the Internet archive. Its pretty good so far! Ian Holm is Frodo and Bill Nighy is Samwise

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fake Name posted:

I was listening to the Andy Serkis audio books in the car with my mother and she reminded me that we used to have a collection of tapes of the bbc dramatisation that she had taped off the radio, and it turns out someone has uploaded them all to the Internet archive. Its pretty good so far! Ian Holm is Frodo and Bill Nighy is Samwise

I got bad corneal abrasion one summer and had to spend a couple days with my eyes covered while it healed because light was excruciatingly painful. Among other things I listened to this version (on CD) to pass the time. I'm sure the next time I listen to them it will be digital rather than on disc but I still keep the boxed set out of a sense of nostalgia.

It's excellent, and people should listen to it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm sorry, everyone, there are now children drawing Fingolfin vs Morgoth fanart and getting in arguments over who better drew Grond.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Barudak posted:

I'm sorry, everyone, there are now children drawing Fingolfin vs Morgoth fanart and getting in arguments over who better drew Grond.

I love your family.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A grandparent cheerfully doted on their grandchildren's art by saying "I'm so impressed you remembered the blood was black."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Barudak posted:

I don't understand why you would apologize for this?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Barudak posted:

Post them

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

indigi posted:

Post them

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Sci-Fi Wi-Fi Tolkien Thread: children drawing Fingolfin vs Morgoth fanart

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

indigi posted:

Post them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont have them all due to tele-conferencing so have the one I do have

(Im not sure this worked. If it didnt gotta wait till I get home)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hell yeah

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

idk how old they are if you'd want to show them the whole thing yet but you could show them the part from RotK where they're wheeling the ram up to the gates and chanting "Grond! Grond!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

indigi posted:

idk how old they are if you'd want to show them the whole thing yet but you could show them the part from RotK where they're wheeling the ram up to the gates and chanting "Grond! Grond!"

Most watched lord of the rings films immediately after the book finished and it was a "holy poo poo" moment for our reading group when the book said the hammers name was Grond.

Grond! Grond!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that rules

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

indigi posted:

Isn't it canon that Sauron has a state church of Morgoth he makes everybody worship?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

Isn't it canon that Sauron has a state church of Morgoth he makes everybody worship?

he did in Numenor, it's possible he imported it into middle earth but he probably didn’t need to try so hard to impress middle and low men

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

indigi posted:

he did in Numenor, it's possible he imported it into middle earth but he probably didn’t need to try so hard to impress middle and low men

Might have kept some variant of it around for the Orcs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Historically, Gandalf didn't call Pippin a "fool of a Took" but rather "a loving Gorlim" but it was sanitized for modern audiences

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beren deciding to become Vegetarian was an unexpected but well liked turn. I'll note that it only seems to go well because its not an explicit oath, a thing that both the Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion seem to frown heavily on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

Beren deciding to become Vegetarian was an unexpected but well liked turn. I'll note that it only seems to go well because its not an explicit oath, a thing that both the Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion seem to frown heavily on.

I feel there's some lessons learned there from the kind of mythology and ancient sagas that Tolkien was inspired by in that binding oaths literally never end well. Might also be a bit of a Christian thing; acts good and evil don't really count unless you're doing them of your free will. (besides that you were naughty before you were born, of course)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Barudak posted:

Gandalf was so loving pissed at Pippin. like dude do you know how much loving trouble we can get in

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Barudak posted:

You see Noldor elves walk like this, but Sindar elves walk like this

Curse you Tolkein, for making me wonder what a stand up special stereotypical Noldor voice sounds like.

"Hey folks! Noldor and Sindar, we're like the Valar of Middle-earth.

Noldor, we're like Aulë, the Smith: always crafting and innovating. Sindar, well, they're like Yavanna's houseplants: beautiful but not quite as, uh, productive. So, remember, when a Noldo and a Sinda meet, it's either a creative powerhouse or a reminder to water your plants! Goodnight!"

Courtesy of GPT-4.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Monglo posted:

"Hey folks! Noldor and Sindar, we're like the Valar of Middle-earth.

Noldor, we're like Aulë, the Smith: always crafting and innovating. Sindar, well, they're like Yavanna's houseplants: beautiful but not quite as, uh, productive. So, remember, when a Noldo and a Sinda meet, it's either a creative powerhouse or a reminder to water your plants! Goodnight!"

Courtesy of GPT-4.

Hey, you know how Tolkien feels about plants.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And so Sauron laid the sick diss on Felagund, and he was defeated for the rhyme was fresh and accusations true

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Frodo holding gollum to an oath worked great until it didn't and that's cause frodo hosed up

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Food Boner posted:

Frodo holding gollum to an oath worked great until it didn't and that's cause frodo hosed up

I dunno, last thing he told Gollum after he broke his oath was "touch me again and you'll be cast into the fire yourself" and well, guess what happened. Though really that's on the Ring for holding Gollum to that one.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
took my kid to see the hobbit 70's cartoon movie this weekend. what a special little film.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you meet a Curufin in the road, kill him

Good lord wasn't expecting him to be such an ongoing poo poo and by the end you've got parents and children angry at Luthien for not letting Beren kill him

Lazy_Liberal posted:

took my kid to see the hobbit 70's cartoon movie this weekend. what a special little film.

It rules. Like, yes, it has a 70s as hell pop song shoved in there and it make edits to the narrative here and there to keep it moving, but its really good at capturing the vibe and feel.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Marathoning LotR cuz our whole household got some covid

Takeaways: 1. Rankin-Bass The Hobbit is a vastly better prequel and tone short into the PJ LotRs than PJ Hobbit

2. Boromir best character

3. Don’t care about the professor’s lord (forgive me) the elves arriving at helms deep is such a kickass scene

“We come to honour that allegiance”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Barudak posted:

If you meet a Curufin in the road, kill him

Good lord wasn't expecting him to be such an ongoing poo poo and by the end you've got parents and children angry at Luthien for not letting Beren kill him

It's fanfic of course but I rather liked this one diving into his character. Still a bastard, but it's a much more intriguing suggestion why he was that way (and what HIS perspective was).