Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

actionjackson posted:

the part you are asking about is at 3:00. this whole talk is super good though, highly recommended. to answer your questions, all of those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_im2zAuBmME

this was cool but lol jesus if it takes until tyool 2020 to run studies like this. it's the most basic poo poo and nutrition science is just floundering around. i guess it only pays to make the most appetizing dorito of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mountain home is an air force base and poo poo, literal piles of poo poo

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

this was cool but lol jesus if it takes until tyool 2020 to run studies like this. it's the most basic poo poo and nutrition science is just floundering around. i guess it only pays to make the most appetizing dorito of all time.

i think this is not as much about ultraprocessed=bad, we know that, but his earlier studies were first about low fat vs. low carb, who have been at war for decades. and the studies they did to compare those are incredibly difficult. this is in his other videos, but you sequester people for a month, they can't leave, you monitor everything they do, and the meals in the two groups are evenly matched on everything (total calories, sugars, etc.), the only difference is one has more fat, and the other has more carbs in place. his work apparently also disproves the carbohydrate-insulin model of obesity.

here's the whole presentation, and i attached a pertinent slide from it. basically, he looked at what low fat and low carb diets had in common, which is that they both avoid those ultraprocessed foods for the most part. the ultraprocessed study was more a follow-up to from that. but also the focus is not on typical topics like their higher salt/sugar/fat content, but on what other mechanisms they possess that would explain the results they saw (e.g. they kept salt/sugar/fat the same in both ultraprocessed vs. unprocessed groups, but ultraprocessed still gained more weight)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mCP8PtgCI

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 03:04 on Apr 3, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

im sure food companies saw that the more processed their foods became their profits went up and put zero thought into it

anyway processed food consumption really took off after 2004 (looks like it went from like 10% of diet to 50%), but obesity doesnt seem to map very well to that extreme, just diabetes (which probably informs obesity later)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anime was right posted:

im sure food companies saw that the more processed their foods became their profits went up and put zero thought into it

anyway processed food consumption really took off after 2004 (looks like it went from like 10% of diet to 50%), but obesity doesnt seem to map very well to that extreme, just diabetes (which probably informs obesity later)

not sure what it's at now, but here's something he showed through 2001. the scale he references goes, from best to worst, unprocessed, culinary ingredients, processed, ultraprocessed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

imagine a place called mountain home being lovely lmao

I just looked at some pictures on Google Maps and it looks really lovely. very sad

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

not sure what it's at now, but here's something he showed through 2001. the scale he references goes, from best to worst, unprocessed, culinary ingredients, processed, ultraprocessed

None of this is meaningful

what is a culinary ingredient? What's the difference between ultra-processed, processed, and unprocessed? What's the difference between unprocessed and culinary ingredient?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

actionjackson posted:

really would like to see this put against obesity and diabetes, this definition looks very different from the one i saw but maybe the defiition of processed was different!

also my god we need the stock market to open

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

what is a culinary ingredient? What's the difference between ultra-processed, processed, and unprocessed? What's the difference between unprocessed and culinary ingredient?

processor units! duh!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What is "ultraprocessed" in this context, I'm not watchin the vid I'm phonepostin'

Apr 7, 2003

Childhood obesity is up due to the ratio of Brobdingnagian Ingredients versus Peristaltic Foods.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

anime was right posted:

also my god we need the stock market to open

We do.

I do what to ask how everyone thinks the thread is going? I feel it has become too "general chat" compared to the more "economics chat" it used to be. I also think people are focusing too much on "doom" and getting into a doom-spiral posting.

If anyone has any comments you can post them in reply or pm me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Childhood obesity is up due to the ratio of Brobdingnagian Ingredients versus Peristaltic Foods.

Childhood obesity is up because both (ha! probably just a single parent) parents have to work full time and just give the kid junk food.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

actionjackson posted:

Lmao this chart

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

What is "ultraprocessed" in this context, I'm not watchin the vid I'm phonepostin'

https://educhange.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/NOVA-Classification-Reference-Sheet.pdf

lol @ the beer/liquor stuff

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

actionjackson posted:

the part you are asking about is at 3:00. this whole talk is super good though, highly recommended. to answer your questions, all of those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_im2zAuBmME

:sigh: well im gonna keep having my beans and veggies then m&ms and triscuits after and just die like a dumb american

im not too surprised though that real good tasting food thats calorie packed and takes up less physical volume is gonna get overeaten . hell, even yesterday i was strugglign to finish some beans but was happy to go eat some m&ms

i do like how the study had everyone in loose scrubs to keep even clothes tightness from being a feedback mechanism

edit: protein, fiber and sugar being identical is interesting. i think its because they didnt have access to delicious goon approved beef jerky

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Apr 3, 2023

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Peristaltic foods is giving me imagery of pooping out a perfectly clean, undigested sandwich

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/mdudas/status/1642166744767774720

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
"While mechanically accurate,"

genuinely brings a tear to my eye :unsmith:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

It's meaningful, it suggests a switch in habit from cooking your own meals to buying something already prepared.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the ultraprocessed definition and results definitely would explain not only obesity in america in general, but also why it's so prevalent in impoverished communities with food deserts. and it does make sense that people eat more calories of it - you can eat junk food really quickly, whereas natural foods definitely take more time on average.

I mean, i don't think anyone besides the corporations making this stuff actually believes it's not garbage, for the most part. very tasty garbage, but still garbage

i mean i love to make vegetarian chili, but i can't buy chips to go with it because they are so addictive

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

https://twitter.com/mdudas/status/1642195101446225923?t=6cumz5R6wNBH2vPvdfmwFQ&s=19

Maybe if they yell enough the fdic will insure all money

Apr 7, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

It's meaningful, it suggests a switch in habit from cooking your own meals to buying something already prepared.

Except it ain't because they don't define any of that

Lying with statistics, in large part, is just giving people undefined categories and letting people assign their own meaning based on their biases.

In my brain, "unprocessed" is no different than "culinary ingredients." You may interpret it differently. It's total moron bullshit for idiots.

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

the ultraprocessed definition and results definitely would explain not only obesity in america in general, but also why it's so prevalent in impoverished communities with food deserts. and it does make sense that people eat more calories of it - you can eat junk food really quickly, whereas natural foods definitely take more time on average.

I mean, i don't think anyone besides the corporations making this stuff actually believes it's not garbage, for the most part. very tasty garbage, but still garbage

The chart is idiot poo poo for idiots, and I'm ashamed on your behalf for posting it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i love the guy who ate 1700 calories more a day on processed diet than unprocessed. same guy who shocked himself a few hundred times

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mr Hootington posted:

We do.

I do what to ask how everyone thinks the thread is going? I feel it has become too "general chat" compared to the more "economics chat" it used to be. I also think people are focusing too much on "doom" and getting into a doom-spiral posting.

we need everyone itt to take a 23 and me and sort themselves by epigenetic usefullness

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
have we considered which races are preventing unionization, uhh for epigenetic reasons only

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I can't stress this part enough: the processing in highly processed foods includes things that make them addicting. Our dumb brains reward us with feel good chemicals when we overeat them. They're engineered to hit those receptors hard.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
why would I eat food my brain doesn't get excited about

Apr 7, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

I can't stress this part enough: the processing in highly processed foods includes things that make them addicting. Our dumb brains reward us with feel good chemicals when we overeat them. They're engineered to hit those receptors hard.

"Highly processed foods" is meaningless.

"High calorie snack foods," that means something.

You should be wary of using phrases like "highly processed foods" because the phrase is meaningless and easily targeted.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

We do.

I think there are topics that are of interest but not enough to have their own cpsam threads, so this is kind of a dumping ground for that (like this diet topic)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Al! posted:

have we considered which races are preventing unionization, uhh for epigenetic reasons only
whites hth

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

We do.

if this is gonna be a general doom chat thread someone should make another one for talking about number-related stuff

Apr 7, 2003

You can make potato chips in your own home with minimal effort that are probably worse for you than what Herr's packages. Are they highly processed? Probably not, if you ask people who are doing it.

A Big Mac is 563 calories. There's a local place, Moonlit Burgers, where a single burger is around 1200 calories. If you asked the average guy, the Big Mac is 'highly processed' but the artisanal burger place ain't. Despite being worse for you in every way.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think most people could probably gulp down two Big Macs in half the time it'd take to eat that 1200kcal burger.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

JamesKPolk posted:

if this is gonna be a general doom chat thread someone should make another one for talking about number-related stuff

I liked this thread better when it was saying all of the banks and crypto were crashing tbh

Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think most people could probably gulp down two Big Macs in half the time it'd take to eat that 1200kcal burger.

Meaningless in the context of whether a "highly processed" burger or a "local ingredient, artisanal handmade" burger is worse for you.

"Highly processed" is a meaningless marketing phrase, being sold to you by people who want you to buy their 1200 calorie burger over the 563 calorie burger.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

500 good dogs posted:

I liked this thread better when it was saying all of the banks and crypto were crashing tbh

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

500 good dogs posted:

go crash a bank we kinda need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

500 good dogs posted:

It'll happen either this month (1Q earnings are reported over the next few weeks) or at the end of the summer.