Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

euphronius posted:

This game is in a great place. It’s a shame they probably aren’t going to add things anymore

Yeah I completely agree. These last 3-4 seasons have been super fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Thanks for the advice. I have played 70+ / great rifts and such before, but year and years ago. I feel like a good deal has been added or changed since then!
As it happens I turned difficulty up one notch and did act 1 bounties and a rift, and quickly gained nearly 10 levels. Was worried about dying to a particularly strong rare in rift though, Jethro Skeletull isn't so hot against single tough enemies (but super fun to watch a chain of exploding corpses kill everything in sight in a split second, just like in DII)

Next thing nut to crack is gems and crafting. I've been salvaging everything, don't really understand how leveling the crafters works anymore however, or why I should beyond completion sake. I remember it being just a gold cost to for a higher rank, but now I have to buy recipez I don't need?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

BRJurgis posted:

Next thing nut to crack is gems and crafting. I've been salvaging everything, don't really understand how leveling the crafters works anymore however, or why I should beyond completion sake. I remember it being just a gold cost to for a higher rank, but now I have to buy recipez I don't need?
It's just a gold cost, and then a Death's Breath for the higher levels. Generally you get this from a challenge rift cache so that you can craft level 70 weapons immediately (which can be used much earlier this season because of the altar). The recipes just drop out of bounty caches and one of the goblin types.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

You won’t be able to hit 70 in under an hour on your first character solo

This season you actually can.

EDIT: I guess for a first time player it's a bit of a jump in convolutedness, in which case there's definitely no need to short-circuit your funtime if you enjoy leveling.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 2, 2023

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Star Man posted:

My advice for a brand new player is to just play out the campaign exactly once. Do it with a seasonal character if possible. Do it without any outside assistance. Do not listen to us, do not read a guide, do not engage. Play at your pace, take it all in.

After that, gently caress around in adventure mode for a bit. Do all five acts worth of bounties, try out some rifts, check out the additional locations exclusive to adventure mode, and try some greater rifts. Continue playing it all out solo. Do not listen to us, do not read a guide, do not engage. Play at your pace, take it all in.

Strongly agree with this. No point in paying any drat attention to this thread or guides if you're a new player.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

BRJurgis posted:

, Jethro Skeletull

i thought this was an elite pack leader name at first

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Mind over Matter posted:

Strongly agree with this. No point in paying any drat attention to this thread or guides if you're a new player.

Not that this is really about me since I have beaten the game many years ago... but I get paralyzed by multitude of options combined with my ignorance of mechanics. I need to inform myself, or else I end up saving tons of poo poo, or generally not experimenting because I'm worried I'm wasting mats or gold or time. I need to at least get to the point where I understand what the gently caress they're even talking about on maxroll, a lot of the resources that are supposed to inform me read like gibberish because I've forgotten so much / they've changed and added things.

Still feel like I should beat story mode for completion sake, but drat adventure mode is so much more fun.

Also I just went straight for seasonal hardcore, so I worry about getting stuck somewhere and dying.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The altar upgrade that lets you keep pool of reflection is pretty good for a new player since you get to keep a massive exp gain boost. Also keep increasing the difficulty to get more exp, but only to the point where it's comfy and you're not dying every minute. Doing those 2 things should help you level a lot faster.

edit: nm if you're on hardcore about the difficulty lol

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm entering hour seven total of grinding Chiltara. Seven hours of no progress, no variation, just making/remaking games and running through the Caverns of Frost. A solid wall in front of my progress unless I just want to play with half the number of primals everyone else gets.

Not increasing Chiltara's drop rate or spawn rate, or adding any kind of bad luck protection, loving sucks. It doesn't matter that I'm an outlier. If you have enough players, outliers are guaranteed to exist, and if someone loses seven hours of their free time doing a lovely, unfun thing to reach parity with people who won the lottery, it's lovely.

Feels really bad to sink two hours into a session of D3 and walk away with the feeling that you'd be in the same place if you had just played a more fun game instead.

The season is such a slam dunk, and if I had gotten the gemstone in one hour of grinding, I'd be completely unaware of how dogshit this is. It's a serious flaw.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I farmed chilltara for about an hour and didn't get anything. I haven't even looked at the altar since then

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

yeah agreed that its the one poo poo sandwich they probably could have done witbout. apparently it was something even worse on the ptr but god knows what that would have been

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are you guys in a staff farming channel where people call out when they have a game with Caverns of Frost?

You could still get super unlucky but most people will get a gem if they do that for an hour. You can put on a TV show or something while you do it.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
On PC I didn’t keep a rigid count, but I’d estimate I killed Chiltara around 60 to 70 times before the gem dropped. A caverns group wouldn’t have shaved a significant portion of my farming time for it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'd estimate it cut my time by 50%. Usually someone had an open invite before I could even confirm if Cavern's of Frost spawned.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It just makes it a bit faster, it doesn't change the problems with the core design of the task. It's a problem that shouldn't exist and can be solved by changing one number on a drop table

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

I am back after ages from playing D4 and quite frankly D2 was no doing it for me.

I know Goons where more active back on the day, however it seems that Goons are not doing as much in groups these days, I live in Australia so the time zones probably are not matching up well but even then I ran into other people.

Also if I see a Goon in my guild with a high paragon level than mine in rifts, even if they have a open group do people mind if lowbies like me drop in and follow behind hovering up loot and Xp?

Rifts are boring on my own. :geno:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The LLJK community channel isn’t really active at this point in the season but there are still people online much of the time, just reach out

Most people are chill about helping out others, last night I boosted someone a few hundred paragons running them through high level grifts after some ancient vaults, just gotta use the chat

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I got 1 character a full staff of herding in about an hour and two other characters everything but the gibbering because they wanted to do it later. This was with me doing everything myself and just inviting them in as I found the mats.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Sardikar posted:

I am back after ages from playing D4 and quite frankly D2 was no doing it for me.

I know Goons where more active back on the day, however it seems that Goons are not doing as much in groups these days, I live in Australia so the time zones probably are not matching up well but even then I ran into other people.

Also if I see a Goon in my guild with a high paragon level than mine in rifts, even if they have a open group do people mind if lowbies like me drop in and follow behind hovering up loot and Xp?

Ask in chat when you're on and someone may toss you an invite. But yeah it's not very active after the first week or so of a season.

Also it's easy to miss messages in the chat since line spam is a real thing. Maybe there's a way to reduce all the stuff that goes into the chat box. I haven't tried because I am a solo boi

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Sardikar posted:

I mostly do grs for paragon xp at this point and im in east coast australia so say hi in lljk or add me raphandz#1189 if you want to leech

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm entering hour seven total of grinding Chiltara. Seven hours of no progress, no variation, just making/remaking games and running through the Caverns of Frost. A solid wall in front of my progress unless I just want to play with half the number of primals everyone else gets.

Not increasing Chiltara's drop rate or spawn rate, or adding any kind of bad luck protection, loving sucks. It doesn't matter that I'm an outlier. If you have enough players, outliers are guaranteed to exist, and if someone loses seven hours of their free time doing a lovely, unfun thing to reach parity with people who won the lottery, it's lovely.

Feels really bad to sink two hours into a session of D3 and walk away with the feeling that you'd be in the same place if you had just played a more fun game instead.

The season is such a slam dunk, and if I had gotten the gemstone in one hour of grinding, I'd be completely unaware of how dogshit this is. It's a serious flaw.

Some people say they’ve had the best luck with her on T7 specifically. Almost certainly bullshit but I got the gemstone on T7 from her yesterday in ~15 kills after killing her maybe 30 times on T16. :shrug:

But yeah it loving sucks.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah. But, I got it, I'm past it, I finished the altar, and d3 is fun again. I feel bad for people who hit that wall and got turned off

It was really important for me to get it because I've been assembling bis primal gear sets in non-season as a fun side project for a few years, and the double primals will be a big help for that.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Star Man posted:

My advice for a brand new player is to just play out the campaign exactly once. Do it with a seasonal character if possible. Do it without any outside assistance. Do not listen to us, do not read a guide, do not engage. Play at your pace, take it all in.

After that, gently caress around in adventure mode for a bit. Do all five acts worth of bounties, try out some rifts, check out the additional locations exclusive to adventure mode, and try some greater rifts. Continue playing it all out solo. Do not listen to us, do not read a guide, do not engage. Play at your pace, take it all in.

I played back in 2013 but not seriously beyond just beating the campaign a handful of times with the different classes. Coming back to it now and it rules. Is blizz going to continue doing seasons and supporting the game or is it anyone's guess?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

biceps crimes posted:

I played back in 2013 but not seriously beyond just beating the campaign a handful of times with the different classes. Coming back to it now and it rules. Is blizz going to continue doing seasons and supporting the game or is it anyone's guess?
It feels likely that they're going to keep doing seasons but not actually add any new content in them: just rotate the free sets and conquests.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

biceps crimes posted:

Insert your personal level of "they're just going to abandon it for D4" here, more or less. A measured response is they'll probably continue running them for a while but don't expect any massive game-changing things like this season. Probably some repeats, plenty of small balance tweaks.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
They gave an official response to a streamer during some meetup in Europe, 8:56 if it doesn't timestamp properly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOuLQ1Wacnc&t=536s

Season 29 will have something new, Seasons 30 and on will be reruns.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Star Man posted:

Came here brand new to the series looking for advice and this sounds great, thank you! I started a non-seasonal monk and got to level 20 over the weekend and had a blast. It looks like folks are anticipating the next season starting April 15, if that's true is there enough time for me to get any rewards if I restart with a new seasonal character now or should I just keep chugging along with my monk until the next season starts? I won't be able to play for more than an hour or two a day.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

watchoutitsabear posted:

Came here brand new to the series looking for advice and this sounds great, thank you! I started a non-seasonal monk and got to level 20 over the weekend and had a blast. It looks like folks are anticipating the next season starting April 15, if that's true is there enough time for me to get any rewards if I restart with a new seasonal character now or should I just keep chugging along with my monk until the next season starts? I won't be able to play for more than an hour or two a day.

Not sure where you got April 15 but it's most definitely not April 15. Season 27 (the last season) went from August 26 to Feb 19 and Season 28 (current) started February 24. With D4 launch soon no one is looking at D3 (or D2). Which means you have time! Also, doing a season you can do the Season Journey which has you doing a bunch of in-game activities that will give you the 6 piece Patterns of Justice set along with access to the season buff the Altar of Rites which has you giving up items in game for huge buffs.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

gariig posted:

Not sure where you got April 15 but it's most definitely not April 15. Season 27 (the last season) went from August 26 to Feb 19 and Season 28 (current) started February 24. With D4 launch soon no one is looking at D3 (or D2). Which means you have time! Also, doing a season you can do the Season Journey which has you doing a bunch of in-game activities that will give you the 6 piece Patterns of Justice set along with access to the season buff the Altar of Rites which has you giving up items in game for huge buffs.

Awesome, thank you! I must have checked a really old link talking about a previous season. I'll start a new seasonal character tonight! I can't believe I slept on this game but I'm glad it's still supported for now, I hope D4 is this much fun.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

watchoutitsabear posted:

Where are you seeing the April 15 date? And I'm of the opinion that you should basically always play season because any and everything you get in season will roll over to non season and leveling, even on a stop to smell the roses pace, doesn't take that long. Especially after you've done it once.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

watchoutitsabear posted:

Awesome, thank you! I must have checked a really old link talking about a previous season. I'll start a new seasonal character tonight! I can't believe I slept on this game but I'm glad it's still supported for now, I hope D4 is this much fun.

Yeah D3 is a great game and this season is a lot of fun, despite my complaining on this page. I hope D4 is good but even if it isn't, we still got D2 and D3!

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Dameius posted:

Where are you seeing the April 15 date? And I'm of the opinion that you should basically always play season because any and everything you get in season will roll over to non season and leveling, even on a stop to smell the roses pace, doesn't take that long. Especially after you've done it once.

I can't find it again so I clearly just royally messed up a Google search. Haven't slept much the last two nights and am more impaired than I realized.

Splendid. I'm REALLY enjoying playing as a monk, so I'm going to start a seasonal one and kick the skeleton king in the face again.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
When you're leveling, the simplest advice I can give is keep dashing strike on your skill bar once you unlock it, and use Lashing Tail Kick as your default spender until you find a legendary that buffs something then feel free to try and build around it. Pair all of this with using whatever is the biggest number 2h you come across.

IF you do a challenge rift to boost yourself then use some of the reward to level up your blacksmith and you can always craft yourself new 2 handers as you reach the required level there. You absolutely don't have to do this though.

If you just do rifts in adventure mode on entirely self found no crafting and don't even really engage with the season gimmick, the altar of rites, you'll reach 70 in like 2-3 hours PLUS however much time you spend in town or staring at your skill menu.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I got a bit careless and lost my HC necro on the Switch. Got a replacement up and running but hadn’t collected enough backup pieces to run Masquerade again, so threw together an LoD nova build. Was getting a bit annoyed because I was stuck at the Gift donation in the altar, but after 600 paragon one finally dropped. Managed to pick up a bunch of nodes and round out some of the QoL options which really does improve the game.

I’ve cleared low GR 90’s with my current build, pretty happy with the progress so far.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i kinda want to make an inna monk im playing with a mate doing it and hes kicking my dh rear end in speed rifts and holding his own with my tal wizard in pushes

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What DH are you using? Both GoD and MS should be able to keep pace or go faster with equivalent quality gear

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
For reference, with all of the altar unlocked bar the last potion (primals keep dropping that I want to keep, it's maddening), I got to 70 in 20 mins on a new rolled Monk last night.

If you want to rush to 70, there's one great formula for this season;

Do the challenge rift, if you can't clear it in the timer find a goon to help run it with.

Use the cache to unlock the double xp altar seal, buy a few weapons from lvl 5 to 16 or so from vendors in adventure mode and run rifts, picking up whatever magic gear from vendors and supplementing with drops until gems start to drop at lvl 18

Start a new game in adventure mode until you get bounties to kill maghda and Khulle, kill them both to get diamonds to unlock the Remove Level Requirements Altar seal

Salvage everything in your inventory and Use the rest of the cache to level up the Blacksmith, craft a LV70 2h and a full set of rare armor (Sovereign xxxx usually)

Start a new game at Torment 6 and head to Ruins of Sescheron and grab Kanai's Cube (google has a number of guides for this)

Use the cube recipe 3 to upgrade the 2H to legendary

Do rifts until about lvl 60-65, when stuff slows down. Either slog the rest of the way in hard/master or find a goon to drag you through a couple more T6 rifts

You are now 70! Basically run rifts and greater rifts and bounties and work your way through the rest of the Quality of Life seals on the altar. You can do it in public groups and save an insane amount of time.

Check out the Season Journey achievements from the character screen and start chipping away at the first few acts as you go.

You want to complete a few acts worth of bounties to unlock the crafted Sage's and Cains sets for your follower, and the Guardians and Aughilds sets for you. Act I and IV are the priority until you grab a Ring of Royal Grandeur, which lowers set bonus requirements by 1 piece.

With this approach, even playing 1-2 hours a day you should be 70 with your 6 peice Haedrics Gift set by the end of the first week, tops. Once you're there you can start farming 2-3 minute GRs at whatever level is comfortable for you, and come out of any given play session with heaps of upgrades and shards to gamble :)

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I thought challenge rifts were inaccessible until you'd done a greater rift, which requires level 70? Please correct or clarify if that's incorrect.

Provided I've been depositing all my gems, if my HC char should die do I keep my crafting mats, gems, and such? Crafting mats just seem to exist independent of my inventory.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh fair point, you probably need to have done a GR in non-seasonal or earlier seasons. Goon power level is probably the way to go then.

I'm Dongington#1672 and Perth based if any Aus goons need a hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

its mostly that in good rift types for GoD dh we go roughly on par but in the bad types for dh i fall behind significantly