Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jerusalem posted:

"Whatever it is in you that lets you do the thing you do.... it ain't in me anymore."

Cutty getting out was amazing, and leads into that great scene where he goes to Avon to ask for a donation (and ignores his protest and ends up putting up a big poster celebrating him in the gym!)

"He was a man in his day"
"He a man today."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Little thing the almighty algorithm sent my way. We all probably know the skit Reddick did with Eric Andre dressed as Kunte LaForge about how he wanted to be LeVar Burton?

Well...

https://youtu.be/uuOO8IeLLfI

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

"Whatever it is in you that lets you do the thing you do.... it ain't in me anymore."

Cutty getting out was amazing, and leads into that great scene where he goes to Avon to ask for a donation (and ignores his protest and ends up putting up a big poster celebrating him in the gym!)

god i love that scene. Cutty sweating bullets like he's gonna get shot where he's sitting if he says the wrong thing, and he finally gets the pitch out and avon's like "you got change for a million?"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So this is weird

Isiah Whitlock Jr., who plays Clay Davis, plays a DEA in Spike Lee's 25th Hour and does a full on "sheeeee-iiiiit" when he busts Ed Norton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIQhDXgIWn0

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

So this is weird

Isiah Whitlock Jr., who plays Clay Davis, plays a DEA in Spike Lee's 25th Hour and does a full on "sheeeee-iiiiit" when he busts Ed Norton

He said it was something an older family member (I think grandpa?) used to say, and he adopted it. It's not a The Wire thing, basically - it's an Isiah Whitlock Jr. thing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just noticed recently that Whitlock is the doctor who charmingly convinced a coked up Henry Hill to at least take a loving valium in Goodfellas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIX4EvXWe1Y&t=122s

Ainsley McTree posted:

god i love that scene. Cutty sweating bullets like he's gonna get shot where he's sitting if he says the wrong thing, and he finally gets the pitch out and avon's like "you got change for a million?"

That little pause before Avon starts laughing :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Badh4BrRqS4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who hears "sheeeeeeeeeiiiiit" and spells it "shittttttttttttttttttttt"

go back to 2nd grade phonics lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

english is a complicated language, sometimes different letters have different sounds

sometimes t is a vowel

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

So this is weird

My wife and I have been watching season two of Your Honor, and drat it - Whitlock is in it and he has so many opportunities to drop an amazing SHIIIIIIIIIIIITTTT into the scenes but just won't do it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Who hears "sheeeeeeeeeiiiiit" and spells it "shittttttttttttttttttttt"

:hmmyes: Whitlock always spells it with 9 Es on twitter.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Tony Phillips posted:

My wife and I have been watching season two of Your Honor, and drat it - Whitlock is in it and he has so many opportunities to drop an amazing SHIIIIIIIIIIIITTTT into the scenes but just won't do it.

He definitely says it in Cocaine Bear, though i don't think it's one of his longest.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Speaking if twitter,

https://twitter.com/Ziggys_Duck?t=uhHCs5FXQ_6qPmwoxHJUXg&s=09

It's an absolutely amazing account.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

deoju posted:

:hmmyes: Whitlock always spells it with 9 Es on twitter.

gently caress. I only used five

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VX2-qTbdvE

color me a bad speller

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Motherfucking season 4.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Motherfucking season 4.

:hai:

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

The Good: Daniels and Freamon finally getting some of what they've got coming, McNutty shaping up, I'm no longer irritated by the fact that Prez has two working eyes.

The Bad: Burrell, Rawls, Valchek, and Davis still endure, Carcetti is turning into exactly what I figured Carcetti would turn into, Bubbles in general, Herc is less than dead to me, I got vengeance for Wallace and now I don't want it, I already know in my bones that Daniels is gonna get hosed and McNulty is gonna turn into McNulty again. Just about everything overall, in fact, particularly with them goddamn kids.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've said it many times but it seriously blows me away that they bought in four kid actors (and a bunch more in supporting roles!) and gave them some incredibly intense work to do for what for some of them was their introduction to acting... and they ALL knocked it out of the park. That's crazy. I've seen great shows dragged to their death by just ONE lovely kid actor, and the confidence of The Wire to give them such a focus and turn in what was objectively* the best season of one of the best show of all time is.... I mean, goddamn! How the gently caress did that happen?

* Subjectively speaking.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Robert F Chew (RIP) did a hell of a job coaching them

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Can't see Robert Chew's name without immediately thinking of (and posting!) this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyewqmAKHto

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That scene between Wee-Bay and Delonda in prison is the best scene in the whole season.

Or Michael finally approaching Marlo

Or Marlo messing with the security guard

Or, etc.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Look the part, be the part motherfucker.

Edit: best scene is Bunk and Omar on the bench. “Makes me sick motherfucker, how far we done fell.”

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 6, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Omar selling the cocaine and heroin he stole from Prop Joe and Marlo back to Prop Joe is great, but even better is a line mentioned in a later scene (I think by Marlo) where he casually mentions the price Omar sold it back to them for, and you realize that Prop Joe jacked up the price and pocketed the difference for himself :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 6, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Buy for a dollar, sell for two.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

So this is weird

I knew he said it somewhere else and I couldn't remember where. Thanks for pointing that out. 25th Hour is a great movie too.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Orange Devil posted:

Buy for a dollar, sell for tew

ftfy

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ShowTime posted:

I knew he said it somewhere else and I couldn't remember where. Thanks for pointing that out. 25th Hour is a great movie too.

Agreed. Fans of The WIre would probably dig it.

Whitlock does it again later in the interrogation scene. I guess he was going for a trademark thing.

Now I want a Netflix series called "Sheeeeeeee-ittttttt"

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Season 5 took less than twenty minutes to turn my most negative predictions into the soaring hopes of a fool. This show is a loving misery engine, and I'm gargling it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’d like to talk Deadwood but I’m too lazy to make an OP for a new thread, and I also think a new Deadwood thread wouldn’t get a lot of traction due to it being so niche and also the series aired from like 2004-2006.

There is a still-live thread, I think it is still live at least, for the Deadwood movie that came out about five years ago.

Would it be bad forums etiquette to bump and resurrect that one? I don’t want to piss people off.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
This is definitely a :justpost: situation

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Omar selling the cocaine and heroin he stole from Prop Joe and Marlo back to Prop Joe is great, but even better is a line mentioned in a later scene (I think by Marlo) where he casually mentions the price Omar sold it back to them for, and you realize that Prop Joe jacked up the price and pocketed the difference for himself :allears:

He does it at such an intense time, too; he's in a situation where if he says the wrong thing, everyone's gonna turn on him and kill him, and even just barely escaping with his life he can't help but rip everybody off. The man can't turn it off.

But it's great how subtle it is; a lesser show would have drawn attention to it, instead the joke only works if you were paying attention to what numbers two characters said at different times

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

He does it at such an intense time, too; he's in a situation where if he says the wrong thing, everyone's gonna turn on him and kill him, and even just barely escaping with his life he can't help but rip everybody off. The man can't turn it off.

You've got to hand it to Marlo*, he was right when he told Prop Joe he couldn't let him go because Joe just wouldn't be able to help himself and would end up getting back involved again.

* You do not, under any circumstances, have to hand it to Marlo.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ever try to watch the latest episode of Show X and you just end up watching Wire clips on your phone with the other show on in the background?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

MrMojok posted:

I’d like to talk Deadwood but I’m too lazy to make an OP for a new thread, and I also think a new Deadwood thread wouldn’t get a lot of traction due to it being so niche and also the series aired from like 2004-2006.

There is a still-live thread, I think it is still live at least, for the Deadwood movie that came out about five years ago.

Would it be bad forums etiquette to bump and resurrect that one? I don’t want to piss people off.

does anyone seriously get upset at thread necromancy? can't imagine why anyone would care. :justpost:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, just post, it's what threads are for!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Undeadwood

i've been waiting for days to say that, and i thought i'd missed my window, so thank you for talking about thread necromancy again

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 7, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A shambling corpse rises from the grave. Lurching toward you, dragging a broken thing that once was a leg. From the graveyard earth-choked maw creaks a moan,

“Cooooocksuuuckerrrrrr…”

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
lol the guys on probation and i thought the reason was gonna be for reviving an old thread

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Barry Foster posted:

The Wire is a landscape and The Sopranos is a portrait - neither is "better" than the other, IMO, they're just doing different things

Both are far and away better than Breaking Bad, though, there's no comparison. Better Call Saul is a lot closer to their level of quality. Mad Men is about on par - or slightly better than - The Sopranos.

These are my entirely subjective but also completely objectively correct rankings

Mostly agreed with all this, but I think you can safely argue that season 1 of True Detective deserves to be up there as well, along with Deadwood.

Also for those of you talking about Deadwood/The Shield, if you haven't watched Justified, you should absolutely fix that! Such an incredibly underrated show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Justified was a show that my dad and I would save up to watch together when I’d go come up to visit. And just to be sociable we’d try to schedule our weird little binges when my mom was out of the house on like a Saturday afternoon.

It’s also a show where everyone constantly drinks really nice bourbon.

My mom has come home so many times to us and a half empty bottle of Blanton’s, day drunk, just slurring “WALDRUP GOGGLES IS A REALLY UNDER RATED ACTOR!” at each other.