Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Why archive Lore at all? He's an evil piece of poo poo who has never done one redeeming action in his life: it's why he's a great campy villain, but reactivate him?!

Well, according to the son of Soong who was never mentioned before until the end of Picard season one, it was important to put all of those personalities together to let Data become a human. Because humanity has a fundamental capacity for evil inside every one of us that we have to grapple with. I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Lister posted:

Well, according to the son of Soong who was never mentioned before until the end of Picard season one, it was important to put all of those personalities together to let Data become a human. Because humanity has a fundamental capacity for evil inside every one of us that we have to grapple with. I guess?

Yeah, we already learned that in the transporter accident episode of TOS where Kirk gets split into good and evil.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, we already learned that in the transporter accident episode of TOS where Kirk gets split into good and evil.

Remember that wierd episode where Kirk switched bodies with his ex girlfriend who is also crazy and evil because she can't be a captain I guess because she is a FEMALE?

...that was really loving wierd.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Alright, I have to vent about what I found to be the dumbest, most obnoxious scene so far.

Flashback: Picard is sitting down for a quiet fish and chips dinner when an entire squad of dipshit ensigns barge up to his table and start asking him inane questions about trivial details from one of his books. Picard initially just stares at them dumbfounded, and I was positive this was going to become a thinly-veiled riff on annoying Trekkies with Picard telling them to gently caress off and let him enjoy his meal in peace. Like, it's so obviously over-the-top stupid and rude to roll up on a retired admiral with this poo poo, it has to be a parody. But then... he just answers their questions and launches into an impromptu leadership lecture which Just So Happens to relate to the current crisis. And then when he tells Jack that he doesn't need any family other than Starfleet, the dipshit ensign brigade bursts into applause, instead of saying "wow, that's actually kind of hosed up".

IDK, maybe I'm overthinking it as a bitter Navy guy, but that entire sequence just came across as wrong in every possible way.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I figured out how to fix Picard S3: put DataLore in Jurati's red dress from S2.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 3, 2023

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I'm gonna disagree with the idea that "the flashback relates to the current crisis" is a bad thing. The flashback itself has issues, but being relevant to the present situation isn't one of them.

Jack trying to be cool by not introducing himself is my least favorite part, personally.

That said, when Picard tells the cadets that he doesn't need any family other than Starfleet, I viewed that as him coping with the loss of his family back in Generations. "There will be no more Picards", remember? The flashback here also serves as a follow-up to that plot point, which the TNG movies and Picard S1-2 never adequately addressed.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lister posted:

:psyboom:

What?

Is that really the reason? Please no, dear God no

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

TulliusCicero posted:

Remember that wierd episode where Kirk switched bodies with his ex girlfriend who is also crazy and evil because she can't be a captain I guess because she is a FEMALE?

...that was really loving wierd.

And this is why it's weird when people nostalgia wank over TOS.

TOS was full of 'hard men making hard choices' and 'grimdark' and plot holes and stupidity and all that other stuff.

And I say that as somebody that grew up watching it, and still thinks it's the best Star Trek series.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
As the saying goes, "79 episodes, about 30 good ones."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's the solution! We Tuvix Jack and Datalore together into Jackalore! Jack and Data together can overpower the Lore inside!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Jackalore is way too close to inviting a Dave Coulier cameo

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

TulliusCicero posted:

It's that hot wierd lady who impersonated Satan to a planet and wanted to make Picard her love slave

Audra I think? It's her

Ardra. I loved the trope of “evil beautiful sorceress in a sequin gown for no good reason” that existed in the eighties. She and the evil lady from the Never Ending Story 2 are prime examples.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

angerbeet posted:

Ardra. I loved the trope of “evil beautiful sorceress in a sequin gown for no good reason” that existed in the eighties. She and the evil lady from the Never Ending Story 2 are prime examples.

I weirdly love that episode because of how goofy it is. It feels like a throwback TOS good episode.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TulliusCicero posted:

I weirdly love that episode because of how goofy it is. It feels like a throwback TOS good episode.

There's a few TNG episodes that really nail that vibe. There's a handful of episodes where they find some sort of space assholes that they deal with for 43 minutes and the conclusion is "well we'd better put up a warning beacon telling people to stay away from these assholes," and they all especially feel like that.

"Where Silence Has Lease" springs immediately to mind.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

There's a few TNG episodes that really nail that vibe. There's a handful of episodes where they find some sort of space assholes that they deal with for 43 minutes and the conclusion is "well we'd better put up a warning beacon telling people to stay away from these assholes," and they all especially feel like that.

"Where Silence Has Lease" springs immediately to mind.

God, what if mysterious hand-head guy is actually Nagilum

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does Austin Powers exist in the Trek universe? They should really have Halloween episodes so we can get glimpses of the culture

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Someone needs to drop a space rear end in a top hat beacon at Paramount+

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Does Austin Powers exist in the Trek universe? They should really have Halloween episodes so we can get glimpses of the culture

Lower Decks needs a seasonal Treehouse of Horror episode.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SCheeseman posted:

Someone needs to drop a space rear end in a top hat beacon at Paramount+

That ship from Booby Trap, but instead of a power drain you have to listen to Terry's hot takes on Section 31

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Technowolf posted:

God, what if mysterious hand-head guy is actually Nagilum

Maybe Nagilum is behind the creation of the show 'Picard.' His whole deal was wanting to slowly kill people in order to see what the pain process was like.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That would be the most logical explanation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Remember the plot thread from four episodes ago where they were like "Why would a changeling impersonate the transporter chief of all people?" And then from three episodes ago where Ro was taking the shuttle because she didn't trust the transporters for some reason? And then was never mentioned or referenced again?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
vadic also didn't want to use the transporters. i don't remember why specifically but there's probably still something going on there

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Yep, they mentioned it in the most recent episode. Of course, they still haven't said exactly why - another "mystery", I guess.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder what changelings think of Species 8472.

They live in fluidic space! That's gotta be cool if you are a fluid.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Remember the plot thread from four episodes ago where they were like "Why would a changeling impersonate the transporter chief of all people?" And then from three episodes ago where Ro was taking the shuttle because she didn't trust the transporters for some reason? And then was never mentioned or referenced again?

Thats how they were doing switcharoonies but IDK why vadic wouldn't want to take one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

vadic also didn't want to use the transporters. i don't remember why specifically but there's probably still something going on there

Which is so loving weird because the theory was that the Changelings were replacing people via transporter fuckery. But it's like, okay, if Vadic is also paranoid about the transporters and refuses to use them, then what the gently caress is going on here with them? Why are both sides of the secret war absolutely terrified of beaming technology all of the sudden? :confused: It makes no goddamn sense.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:lol: if this is Terry Matalas just playing with the old theory/joke that the transporter kills you so that's why everyone's suddenly so afraid of it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nine-gear crow posted:

Which is so loving weird because the theory was that the Changelings were replacing people via transporter fuckery. But it's like, okay, if Vadic is also paranoid about the transporters and refuses to use them, then what the gently caress is going on here with them? Why are both sides of the secret war absolutely terrified of beaming technology all of the sudden? :confused: It makes no goddamn sense.

it is pretty weird. it kinda feels like they might have had separate reasons to not want to use the transporters (i.e. humans might get replaced by changelings and meatbag changelings might get unstable, or something, idk). i'd love to know how much footage was cut off of this season or if it was really shot this way

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

What even are the clues to the mystery of who the real bad guy is.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Maybe the transporter is able to demeat the meatlings and it all gets very messy

Anyway the big bad is the Ionians and that’s why no one trusts teleportation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Actual Satan posted:

- probably isn’t a changeling
- hides identity from the audience Vadic
- hates Starfleet
- some Collider reporter’s mom will be happy with the reveal, according to Terry

These aren’t breadcrumbs, they’re more like bread… molecules.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Actual Satan posted:

The clues in order so far are:

Look, Terry really sucks at foreshadowing poo poo, okay...

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

gently caress, SNW season 2 can't come soon enough. If only so I can look at Anson Mount some more :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

gently caress, SNW season 2 can't come soon enough. If only so I can look at Anson Mount some more :allears:

Just three more weeks and then No More Bad Star Trek :buddy:

Until Discovery shits out its final season, but after that, for real, No More Bad Star Trek

Don't talk to me about Section 31, Starfleet Academy or Star Trek: Legacy, you hear me. No. More. Bad. Star. Trek :toughguy:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

:lol: if this is Terry Matalas just playing with the old theory/joke that the transporter kills you so that's why everyone's suddenly so afraid of it

Episodes 9 and 10 are under lock and key, so my sources have been incredibly vague, but ... while the reveal(s) are impressively stupid, it's not that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man, what is up with the somehow-still-continuing trend of Trek actors’ twitters getting hacked? First it was bogus laptop giveaways, now Brent Spiner’s is dropping racial slurs.

https://twitter.com/terrymatalas/status/1642976103584378880?s=46&t=UMXTLv82i4yRGmbyk34alA

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hijacking/redirecting transporter beams with a changeling clone and stuffing the victims in a perpetual buffer would conveniently allow everyone bodyswapped to survive so as to not threaten the show's franchise potential.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol that a show this relentless about cost-cutting with bottle episodes would want to avoid a plot device invented specifically because of budget restrictions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, what is up with the somehow-still-continuing trend of Trek actors’ twitters getting hacked? First it was bogus laptop giveaways, now Brent Spiner’s is dropping racial slurs.

https://twitter.com/terrymatalas/status/1642976103584378880?s=46&t=UMXTLv82i4yRGmbyk34alA

"Hacked" is code for "fell for a phishing scam."