Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh well, maybe it'll prompt Valve to compete harder in some way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Good thing you’ll be able to install SteamOS on it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I understand WHY they're putting Windows on it (they are not a software company and Windows runs everything it needs to run) but even just from a pure UI perspective it's a bad idea

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

PageMaster posted:

How does fallen order work on deck? Does the EA stuff screw it up and prevent it from working? I'm wondering if survivor is going to be playable or not.
You got buried, but to answer your question: It works fine-ish. Sometimes EA releases an update that breaks the launcher. Though I never had any moments where I couldn't play. The launcher takes longer to get through than if you were able to just open the binary, but it does work.

I'm sure Jedi Survivor is going to have some fuckery that EA will throw in to their client just to rustle everyone's jimmies, but there'll be a workaround shortly thereafter.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jokes posted:

Why? They’re already on record on simply making SteamOS avaiable for other hardware and just raking in the money of funneling more people to using/purchasing games on Steam.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TwoDice posted:

120hz is sick for simple games though? what's the downside here other than a tiny additional cost on a device that already costs a hojillion dollars

Batteries in general haven't kept up with power draw for electronic items

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah the Steam Deck is obviously on the verge of being a loss-leader, and that'd be apparent from the state of the competition even if Valve hadn't implied so themselves

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

I don't even know what the Asus target market is. Like yeah there's plenty of people with more money than sense, but either you already know about the Steam Deck and have considered it, or you're technically apt enough to know that just throwing a bunch of specs into a handheld and saying "good luck" is not addressing any of the problems with the form factor
Its the same segment as the Ayas and GPDs, things that on paper are a bit higher end and have higher end prices, but in reality aren't all that practical. There's definitely a person that its for but it sure isnt me

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like devices that aren't the Deck are going to focus on game streaming because it lets them say "60fps! 8 hours battery life!" or whatever, whereas the Deck seems to be more about actually running games. I think the main draw of the Deck is that it's cheap, it runs the games you already own via an extremely console-like experience, and somehow sufficiently runs big titles without needing to use Windows. Other manufacturers are going to fail at all of those points which is going to make Valve's dream of manufacturers building for SteamOS less and less likely.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 3, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

homeless snail posted:

Its the same segment as the Ayas and GPDs, things that on paper are a bit higher end and have higher end prices, but in reality aren't all that practical. There's definitely a person that its for but it sure isnt me

I am begging those people to please buy one of the hundred 3060-equipped gaming laptops instead

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drLZxyv79Oo

Dave2D actually got one to test and has more details. It's actually Zen 4 and RDNA3 on TSMC 4nm. Which in layman's terms means it's basically as cutting edge as it can be. This thing is going to be really drat expensive.

edit: 120hz is actually sick as hell, especially if the display is freesync.

No touchpads no care. I can't imagine having a pc handheld without them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The touchscreen experience on Windows, still, loving sucks. I can't imagine dealing with it on a much smaller screen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, I'm 1000% happy with my SteamDeck and the only thing I'd need from it ever would be just better specs and longer battery life. And I'm talking like the SteamDeck 2 or whatever; for now, the one I have is perfect, but let's not pretend it'll run, I don't know, GTA6 at 60fps when that's released.

I desperately want and hope to be wrong, of course.

Anyway, I don't think you could pay me to bother with another handheld like it, except "this time, windows!". No thanks.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
tbh I think "run the latest AAA title at 60fps on a handheld with zero compromises" may just be a completely unrealistic expectation anyway, which is arguably why high spec toys like this haven't really succeeded before. Valve understood they were making compromises on the hardware in the same way that Nintendo understood what they were doing with the specs on the Switch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean to be fair Nintendo made a ton more compromises than that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Paradoxish posted:

tbh I think "run the latest AAA title at 60fps on a handheld with zero compromises" may just be a completely unrealistic expectation anyway, which is arguably why high spec toys like this haven't really succeeded before. Valve understood they were making compromises on the hardware in the same way that Nintendo understood what they were doing with the specs on the Switch.

Yeah, that's fair. Perhaps "a solid 30fps" is a better argument point, because there will come a time (and some games are already there) where rock solid 30 isn't quite attainable. It's mostly AAA stuff from what I hear, so if you're into indies or major games from the past, you're all set, and I don't say that sarcastically; it's beautiful.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Batteries in general haven't kept up with power draw for electronic items

you don't have to run it at 120hz constantly

I'm happy to run dead cells at 120hz and Warhammer at 40hz

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm about a week+ into my SD experience and it's a nice bit of kit but I haven't find many games I love playing on it yet. I am holding off on installing a few bigger ones like Ace Combat 7 until my new SSD gets here though. I have a 64GB + 128GB microSD in there now. Currently the go to game is Dead Cells, which owns.

Ones I have tried but didn't love:
- Oxygen not included (text too small)
- Heat Signature (text too small)
- Hotline Miami 2 (I find it almost uncontrollable, this is a me problem)

Games that are pretty good:
- Steamworld Dig 2
- Stardew valley (except I keep accidentally pickaxing stuff)
- Broforce
- Mark of the Ninja (cept it's hard!)
- Terraria

My steam library is pretty massive though so there's probably a few gems in there I haven't tried yet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TwoDice posted:

It's still gonna tank your battery life even in 2D games. It'll be smooth but you'll pay for it with an hour long battery runtime

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
High refresh rate on a handheld is such a waste of energy. Crank it to 70 - 80 - 90 and you'll be seeing dimnishing returns. 100-200 Hz screens are for people who drink energy drinks and play competetive first person shooters. I love my 144Hz screen but since I've stopped playing Overwatch I'm capping my framerates at 60 - 90 just so the PC can run quiet.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Macichne Leainig posted:

I don't even know what the Asus target market is. Like yeah there's plenty of people with more money than sense, but either you already know about the Steam Deck and have considered it, or you're technically apt enough to know that just throwing a bunch of specs into a handheld and saying "good luck" is not addressing any of the problems with the form factor

Dude, it has sick RGB on the back, where you will never see it! Self proclaimed capital g Gamers are gonna be all over this.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Why are so many gaming products stuffed with rgb leds? I don’t know why my half keyboard needs to be so flashy

Also:

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone playing RE4 remake on the deck find it janky to aim with the rifles? Or is my right stick dying?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TwoDice posted:

Dead Cells at 120hz will almost certainly annihilate the battery. It's not about whether you're running AAA titles or not. Part of the issue (and it's a problem for phones too!) is that the games you'll probably want to play at a high refresh rate, stuff like short session 2D games, are the games you're most likely to be playing without power.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

RandolphCarter posted:

Why are so many gaming products stuffed with rgb leds? I don’t know why my half keyboard needs to be so flashy

People keep buying it I guess. How else will you know the portable device with a built in controller on each side is for gaming?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

jokes posted:

Rushing out a Steam Deck 2 is the last thing I want. They should definitely release an updated SKU eventually, but it's too soon for that right now.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

This is simply the phase of hardware where there’s a rush to get competing products out there without understanding what fundamentally makes the Steam Deck popular.

The Deck has, like, 5 or 6 really compelling “perfect storm” elements to it that competitors are either unlikely to or straight up can’t replicate.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

Dead Cells at 120hz will almost certainly annihilate the battery. It's not about whether you're running AAA titles or not. Part of the issue (and it's a problem for phones too!) is that the games you'll probably want to play at a high refresh rate, stuff like short session 2D games, are the games you're most likely to be playing without power.

Maybe it will! you get 6-7hrs right now at 60hz and if that was cut down to 3-4 I'd absolutely do it for most of my usage. If you have a 7 hour flight and don't want to you can crank down the display.

Having the option to go hard and get best graphics when plugged into the plane outlet and conserve battery at reduced fps when there isn't one is one of the things that makes these devices so much nicer than a switch.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Friendly goon I get your point but you are not getting 3-4 hours of battery life at 120hz on a Windows-based gaming handheld, plain and simple.

I don't think just installing SteamOS is going to fix it either

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Also the device looks smaller than the deck which makes me think it has similar or even smaller battery dimensions.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

priznat posted:

My steam library is pretty massive though so there's probably a few gems in there I haven't tried yet.

If you haven't played it yet and don't mind an open world collect-a-thon by the studio that made the Just Cause games, Mad Max is great and runs really well on the deck on Very High settings.

Plus you get to cruise the wasteland in the meanest firesnorting V8 monster.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lmao, Linus says it has 35W TDP. This thing is gonna have like 45 minutes battery life.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mad Max has no rumble when you’re driving off-road so feels cheap and wrong on a controller and I cannot get past that to enjoy it on any level

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

homeless snail posted:

lmao, Linus says it has 35W TDP. This thing is gonna have like 45 minutes battery life.

Lol it's gonna be a handheld that has to stay plugged in I guess.

Still, I hope it inspires eGPU support for the Deck. I have an eGPU I'd very much like to use with my Deck!!!!!!!!!!

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Harminoff posted:

No touchpads no care. I can't imagine having a pc handheld without them.
This. Also that d-pad looks like the lovely xbox360 one. Onen of the best things about the deck is how great the controller is and how easy it is to mod for the game you play.

I do hope they add a rumble to a sequel though :tbear:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The Deck has rumble!

Oh well I guess it haptically vibrates the touchpads, which isn't the same. Fascinating. Explains why it feels weak, at least.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

i dropped my Deck and the backplate almost came off. Very concerned it was going to snap the SD card but thankfully it didn't

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
This is the part where I admit I forgot to take my SD card out twice when messing with my back plate and it did *not* snap in half. :colbert:

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Macichne Leainig posted:

Friendly goon I get your point but you are not getting 3-4 hours of battery life at 120hz on a Windows-based gaming handheld, plain and simple.

I don't think just installing SteamOS is going to fix it either

Yeah windows is a huge downside but if there was a proper steam deck with a 120hz OLED I'd buy it immediately.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just an OLED for me, I always run my games at the lowest possible TDP and a 120Hz screen would just gobble up my battery life. Though I would like the option.

Ideally the next version, if there even is one, is just: better screen, better thumbsticks, better processor/battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I had oled on the vita and I just don't see it being a big deal like others say it is. Screen looks fine as is