Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Jakabite posted:

Anyone else watched RRR on Netflix? I found it to be an excellent antidote to how glum everything is at the moment. Never really watched any Indian cinema but I’m now absolutely going to be watching more - if you need a funny, bombastic, epic to brighten your evening, watch immediately.

Three Idiots and PK are good entertaining films. Used to be in Netflix but don't seem to be right now. Dangal and Secret Superstar are both good watches featuring girls fighting stereotypes in India.

Amazon Prime has Panchayat which is a comedy/drama series about a city guy moving to live and work in rural India. Two seasons and good fun.

Jai Bihm is also on Amazon. It's based on police corruption. Definitely backs up the ACAB idea and showing some the police brutality seemed a bit gratuitous at some points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I am loving the trend of superhero, but not really, movies making a comeback again from the 80s. Stuff like RRR, fast and furious and john wick having their heroes joust with motorbikes, drift horses, fall four stories unharmed onto a van or pull a gunship out of the sky with their biceps (technically hobbes and shaw) i realise RRR is it's own beast, but it strikes the same chord with me.

They're just so dumb, silly and enjoyable. Really a great antidote to seeing pictures from today's Keir Starmer interview on LBC on every digital billboard in Sheff with a promise to crack down on antisocial behaviour.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It took me a while to realise how depressing these are. All they talk about is punishment they don't want to look at the root cause of anti-social behaviour or grooming gangs and try to stop them at the source, it's just more police and tougher sentences.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

bessantj posted:

It took me a while to realise how depressing these are. All they talk about is punishment they don't want to look at the root cause of anti-social behaviour or grooming gangs and try to stop them at the source, it's just more police and tougher sentences.

I get the feeling they look at the pictures from niagara falls doing the rounds today and think that's what Bromley is like.

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/12ajff3

Similar root causes and refusal to deal with them, I guess.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mebh posted:

I get the feeling they look at the pictures from niagara falls doing the rounds today and think that's what Bromley is like.

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/12ajff3

Similar root causes and refusal to deal with them, I guess.

I guess I just have a feeling of hopelessness when I realised just how little they actually care about girls being abused.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There were kids scrapping in the Zara, Nigel. One girl pulled out another's hair.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1642978885770813440

oh well

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

I guess I just have a feeling of hopelessness when I realised just how little they actually care about girls being abused.
It's especially evident in the missing corner of the debate.

"White girls are being abused by Pakistani men"
"Ah but 84% of abusers are white"
"Ah but 85% of the country is white, therefore per capita the non-whites are fractionally worse and we need to discuss this forever"

Meanwhile in the forgotten corner, BAME girls are also disproportionately likely to be victims, to not report, to be ignored when they do report, etc.

But neither 'side' of 'the debate' (which seems to have devolved to "do Muslims have the rape gene?") gives a single poo poo about the latter group.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Jakabite posted:

Anyone else watched RRR on Netflix? I found it to be an excellent antidote to how glum everything is at the moment. Never really watched any Indian cinema but I’m now absolutely going to be watching more - if you need a funny, bombastic, epic to brighten your evening, watch immediately.

A truly transcendent film, it astonishes me how shite, stagnant and boring it makes Hollywood look in comparison.

Brits not evil enough though...

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jakabite posted:

It came up on Youtube for me as part of some "CGI artists react to Bollywood" video and I had to watch it. It was a really nice change from the usual Hollywood fare and goddamn if the two leads aren't more attractive than almost every Hollywood leading man.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mugsbaloney posted:

Brits not evil enough though...
If you go too far you get Mel Gibson in your film. I can understand them not wanting to risk that.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I picked up some Doctor Who Blu-Rays in a charity shop at the weekend. It looks like the showrunners mid-2000s were onto something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of which, what the gently caress has Laurence Fox been eating/snorting/butt chugging? Last time my all natural unpolluted immune system looked that healthy I needed two weeks of prednisone.

https://twitter.com/BrexitBuster/status/1642842884696145920

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
sweatin' with the nazis

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

His Divine Shadow posted:

I never constructed a building before either but I gave it a try and it looks pretty good IMO, I loving hand hewed the logs that make up the roof beams, with an axe, that I rehung myself! If I went back in time and told 20 year old myself what I've done he would not believe me.

Link doesn't work m8

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jaete posted:

Link doesn't work m8

This link worked for me:

Can't actually see the difference between HDS link they posted and this though! (When I clicked the link HDS posted it didn't work for me either but now it does... weird, or what?)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I picked up some Doctor Who Blu-Rays in a charity shop at the weekend. It looks like the showrunners mid-2000s were onto something.

This is the resulting child from Cameron Pig Fkr

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

RRR is fun but tbh I found it a bit uncomfortable. Obviously the anti-British stuff was cool, but I think a lot of people really don’t consider the political climate it comes out of. It’s not like it’s actively anti-Muslim or Hindutva or anything, but I feel like if the US was ruled by a massively racist Christian nationalist (lol how could we tell), and then a movie came out that’s set during the American Revolution, and at the end one of the leads is so devoutly Christian that he literally appears as Christ, and then there’s a musical number in front of gigantic US flags, most people of our persuasion would raise an eyebrow, even if much of the rest of the movie was politically cool.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Grim...

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1642961032065720340

quote:

Bibby Marine said it has been refurbished since a watchdog called it an "oppressive environment" when the Dutch government used it to house asylum seekers in 2005.

quote:

Home Office documents, which were leaked last week, claimed a previous proposal to put asylum seekers on vessels was rejected last year - due to it being more expensive than using hotel accommodation.

Enver Solomon, chief executive of the Refugee Council, said: "We are deeply concerned by the Government's plans to accommodate people seeking asylum on military bases and apparently barges that are entirely unsuitable to their needs."

He added: "The use of unsuitable contingency accommodation is a direct consequence of the chronic delays and huge backlog in the asylum system. There would be no need for hotels if cases were processed promptly and effectively."

also grim

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1642930898323554304

quote:

"I don't want to be racist BUT it's making me dislike these people."

I checked out the videos of the Kegworth protest, and it was mostly the far right protesting about 'Muslim grooming gangs'.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 4, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I mean it's not even "I'm not a racist, but", they fully admit it.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Guavanaut posted:

If you go too far you get Mel Gibson in your film

Mel aside, I bumped into people (well, Englishmen) last year when RRR was initially doing the rounds who would compare it positively to Braveheart because it was criticizing Britain's history "the right way" and I was struck by the thought that I didn't understand my fellow man anymore.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This link worked for me:

Can't actually see the difference between HDS link they posted and this though! (When I clicked the link HDS posted it didn't work for me either but now it does... weird, or what?)

Imgur is such a poo poo sometimes. Thx for fixing it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

“As chief Brexit bullshit negotiator I demand that, whilst we continue to throw people without the right documents into concentration camps, you silly French people allow our great, white, British tourists freedom to do whatever the gently caress they like without any of these pointless checks”

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Guavanaut posted:

If you go too far you get Mel Gibson in your film. I can understand them not wanting to risk that.

Yes but from there it's a hop skip and a jump into Monkey Dust Jerry Brickhammer territory, which is very funny and accurate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

RRR is fun but tbh I found it a bit uncomfortable. Obviously the anti-British stuff was cool, but I think a lot of people really don’t consider the political climate it comes out of. It’s not like it’s actively anti-Muslim or Hindutva or anything, but I feel like if the US was ruled by a massively racist Christian nationalist (lol how could we tell), and then a movie came out that’s set during the American Revolution, and at the end one of the leads is so devoutly Christian that he literally appears as Christ, and then there’s a musical number in front of gigantic US flags, most people of our persuasion would raise an eyebrow, even if much of the rest of the movie was politically cool.
That would be funnier than most American Christian nationalist poo poo. Like if Gibson did the Passion of the Christ but Jesus is unfairly persecuted for drink driving and going on an antisemitic rant.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I enjoy Top Gun, I enjoy RRR. It's not an "I am immune to propaganda" stance, it's just having a basic level of critical analysis and the ability to extract fun from life without having to problematise every aspect of that enjoyment

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope some turbo chud does a film where the life of Donald J Trump is portrayed as a Christ narrative.

He who has never defrauded a dozen contractors to flip a building without paying tax, let him cast the first stone at me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

I enjoy Top Gun, I enjoy RRR. It's not an "I am immune to propaganda" stance, it's just having a basic level of critical analysis and the ability to extract fun from life without having to problematise every aspect of that enjoyment

I watch loads of mindless cop shows and yet don't trust the polis, I am immune to copagandha :smuggo:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Nooo not Nigella

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/gem_ste/status/1643150983050977280

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I kinda enjoyed Atlas Shrugged 😬

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i am a band 4 nhs worker. should i vote to accept this pay offer

the fact that unison keep telling me i SHOULD vote for it makes me want to vote not to accept it but i don't know if that's a nosefacespite situation

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It sounds pretty rubbish from the little I've looked at it

In Scotland they got "This equates to an average uplift of at least 6.5% for all staff up to and inclusive of Band 8a."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i am a band 4 nhs worker. should i vote to accept this pay offer

the fact that unison keep telling me i SHOULD vote for it makes me want to vote not to accept it but i don't know if that's a nosefacespite situation

GMB recommend it as the best possible from this government, and have a breakdown for you here https://www.gmb.org.uk/nhs-pay-offer-calculator

That said, frankly you should decide if *you* think it's acceptable.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Tesseraction posted:

GMB recommend it as the best possible from this government, and have a breakdown for you here https://www.gmb.org.uk/nhs-pay-offer-calculator

That said, frankly you should decide if *you* think it's acceptable.

they need to fire whoever designed this website jesus christ

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sad Panda posted:

Correct. GCSE Science involves wiring a plug.

Still, in 2023?! Thought that went out in the 80s.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

they need to fire whoever designed this website jesus christ

They can't, they'd have to represent the fired worker at the tribunal for unfair dismissal

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

forkboy84 posted:

They can't, they'd have to represent the fired worker at the tribunal for unfair dismissal

i think this would be the rare occasion of an exceptionally fair dismissal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Still, in 2023?! Thought that went out in the 80s.

I learned it as a part of the Junior Cycle in Ireland (basically GSCE level) but my partner in the UK didn't seem to? Maybe it depends on the school?

Speaking of, I've always been horrified at just how poor the UK history curriculum is. While granted, I have a degree in history and I am actively attempting to work in that field, I was shocked when I referenced 1066 and she only recognized it from the advertisements. I read through the curriculum and it is not mandatory at all. We are required to learn it to establish the Norman Invasion/Invitation of 1169 and the beginning of English rule in Ireland.

I can absolutely understand the mentality behind whitewashing of UK history but Hastings et al is a core event which set into motion the last millennium of history, a fairly easy to understand "start of the current royal line" for school kids, and fairly uncontroversial (not seeped in imperialism) topic.

I'm hardly a huge fan of the Irish education system and their approach to our own history is spotty at best. Literally yesterday there was yet another scaremongering article about how kids these days aren't taught about The Troubles when the State has shown no interest in teaching it outside of the absolute basics in the final two years of schooling. That's without considering the recent cuts and attempts at making parts of the subject optional rather than mandatory. But there is at least *some* attempt to teach the subject. I suppose because it is a humanities subject they've thrown it to the gutter.