Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SirPablo posted:

Y'all not doing a simple scrub & rinse on your dishes before they go in the washer wtf

Vegetable posted:

This is objectively a waste of water and energy. It’s at best unnecessary and at worst may make the dishwasher a little less effective.

My place has an ancient Roper dishwasher that must have been incredibly cheap for the landlord to put in, and is the noisiest dishwasher I have ever used. It absolutely needs a little prep on the dishes before they go in. I also use 2 Finish tablets (the cheap ones) so it has a prewash otherwise the dishes don't come out great.

If you have a newer/nicer dishwasher then you might be able to get away with less rinsing and less detergent, but with the weird old clunker I have those things aren't an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

sounds like some of you need to watch a guy with serious dishwasher opinions

get yourself a hotdog and drink with free refill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBO8neWw04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll6-eGDpimU

If nothing else, run your tap to hot before starting your dishwasher but also get the powder because it's better at actually doing dishwashing. Not gel, unfortunately.

Not at mine, unfortunately, but I get the generic house brand at my local grocery store and it's absolutely fine. there is no brand advantage to dishwasher powder I have ever heard of, so if it's cheap and at your store, give it a try.

These vids were great. Thank you!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Psion posted:

lol I'm not about to watch a 30 loving minute video on dishwa.... oh he explains how they function?

:munch:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
People put dishes in the washer caked in leftover food?

:dafuq:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Is there anything unique about your local costco?

Some guy on reddit posted that his has a covered parking lot and now I’m curious what other special costco features lie out there.

Mine as far as I can tell is just the bog standard, unfortunately.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

People wash dishes instead of throwing them away? Last time I tried the plates for all soggy and turned to pulp and the forks and spoons melted

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Psion posted:

This guys whole channel is fantastic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SirPablo posted:

People put dishes in the washer caked in leftover food?

There's been detergent commercials instructing people to do this and I think they're relying on people never having had the experience of cleaning the dishwasher's filter assembly.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

SirPablo posted:

Y'all not doing a simple scrub & rinse on your dishes before they go in the washer wtf

You mean the job for the machine I bought?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh where did you find an automatic dish scraper?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Spicy dishwasher chat in the costco thread

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Unless I'm at your house and you asking me to do something I cannot care about how you run the dishes.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Scrape chunks of food off your dishes you savages but you don’t need to do a scrub and rinse. If your dishwasher is ancient, maybe, but the vast majority of modern dishwashers do not benefit from this. I’ve watched the above videos previously and I think he says at one point that some detergent literally rely on there being some food bits to “latch” on to the dishes.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Soul Dentist posted:

Oh where did you find an automatic dish scraper?

I met my current gf at a train convention

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Just throw the casserole dish with half of last werk's uneaten hot dish in the top rack it'll wash out

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hand wash your dishes so you can feel more connected to your cook ware noobs

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Renegret posted:

I've used them for a short time. I didn't have any problems but I hate pods so once I used them up I never got them again.

There could be a few causes for your problems. First thing I would do is clean the catch at the bottom of the tub, then run a dishwasher cleaner. A dirty dishwasher leaves dirty dishes. Also make sure you're using a rinse aid.

The problem with pods is that you don't get any detergent for the prewash cycle which is where the bulk of the dirt comes off of. You only need a little because it's a short cycle so two pods is overkill and a waste of money but none doesn't work very well.

We clean our dishwasher monthly and always clean the catch/filter when we do and do use a rinse aid. When running it, we also get the water nice and hot from the tap before starting. Honestly just going to return the pack and go back to Cascade since they always worked.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bagmonkey posted:

Hand wash your dishes so you can feel more connected to your cook ware noobs

I actually only own 2 dishes and 2 bowls so that I'm forced to wash them instead of leaving a giant stack in the sink. I'm not very responsible with myself.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Psion posted:

If nothing else, run your tap to hot before starting your dishwasher but also get the powder because it's better at actually doing dishwashing. Not gel, unfortunately.

Not at mine, unfortunately, but I get the generic house brand at my local grocery store and it's absolutely fine. there is no brand advantage to dishwasher powder I have ever heard of, so if it's cheap and at your store, give it a try.

Technology Connections is genuinely great. Makes videos about all sorts of things that people take for granted.

If nothing else, keep that first video in mind to prove to your parents that using a dishwasher is far more water-efficient than doing them by hand for anything beyond a handful. (God gently caress, my asian parents and their buying brand loving new top-of-the-line shiny-rear end dishwashers to use them exclusively as storage while making me do all the loving scrubbing while cracking poo poo like, "I have a dishwasher, it's you". I'm just glad I managed to break my dad of that attitude by showing him much the same. Kind of hard to argue when you see how your water bill goes down when you use it regularly.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 3, 2023

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
We got a Fisher & Paykel drawer dishwarsher and absolutely love it. I can have one load running while still filling the other drawer. Since there are only 2 people in the house, we often only run one at a time but when we have guests we can run em both. I thought it was gonna be a problem at first because they are designed to take powder instead of gel or tablets but now that I've been using it I think it does a much better job.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

went to costco on sunday and it was the busiest ive ever seen it. had to drive around in a bit and then just wait for a dude to load up his car to even get parking and the store was jammed. thankfully they had tons of checkout people so the long line moved pretty quick. made the critical error of ordering a cheese pizza slice at the food court and that probably took the longest.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I love the ultimate dad energy radiating from this thread's dishwasher talk.

Anybody else's wife loads the dishwasher like an absolute loving psychopath?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

went to costco on sunday and it was the busiest ive ever seen it. had to drive around in a bit and then just wait for a dude to load up his car to even get parking and the store was jammed. thankfully they had tons of checkout people so the long line moved pretty quick. made the critical error of ordering a cheese pizza slice at the food court and that probably took the longest.

I drove by our Costco intent on visiting Sunday as well. Not only was the parking lot full, entire lanes of the parking lot were backed up with cars. Everybody needs their Easter Ham I guess (me too!). I opted to go to the grocery store instead.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Renegret posted:

My equally gay husband loads like a loving maniac but I gotta let it go. IT’S FINE.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I try to explain centripetal force and where the water is coming from but she just doesn't care...

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I can’t wait for us to redo the kitchen so we can have a two dishwasher system. We’ll never have to shelf our dishes again.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
you guys wash your dishes?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

NewFatMike posted:

My equally gay husband loads like a loving maniac but I gotta let it go. IT’S FINE.

No don't let it go this is absolutely a hill worth dying on.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

NewFatMike posted:

He is subtly saying he doesn't care about you. You are the dishes.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Why even use dishes when cardboard boxes are free from Costco?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Unponderable posted:

Why even use dishes when cardboard boxes are free from Costco?

hell don't they give you paper plates at the food court still

or did that die with covid too (i haven't ordered pizza slices in a while)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

lol at not just handwashing dishes and using the dishwasher as extra storage space

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

halokiller posted:

lol at not just handwashing dishes and using the dishwasher as extra storage space

That's what the oven is for

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
I have literally never rinsed a single piece of food off of my dishes except for things like bones. I use a Cascade packet in the door with a bit of powder tossed in for prewash. Run the tap hot first and make sure the finish rinse aid is full. Dishes always come out perfect.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

That's what the oven is for

Imagine if you had TWO ovens worth of extra storage space!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I haven't had a dishwasher in ten years..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I haven't had a dishwasher in ten years..

Sorry about your divorce.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I got a Bosch 500 dishwasher like a month and a half ago and it's fantastic

Whatever the gently caress rinse aid is, it's magic

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Renegret posted:

Your wife actually loads and unloads the dishwasher? Without being cajoled?

Lots of goons posted:

I don't prewash

I can't not pre-wash. It's baked in, much like the crust that never came off with our dishwasher when I was a kid. I should try and learn how to just let go. Scraping alone is enough. Trust the machine to do its job. Of course, the guy in the video above is demonstrating everything with the exact same model of DW that I have, so maybe I can trust him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CzarChasm posted:

Your wife actually loads and unloads the dishwasher? Without being cajoled?

Only when we have company and she's trying to show off