Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Y'kno, aside from the predatory as gently caress gambling system plastered all over everything, Mighty Doom is a pretty fun Archero knock-off but it might also just be the Doom flavoring that gives me bias. :kiddo:

I kinda had a fist bump moment with a chain of jump pads that let me rocket every monster in the arena it was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I've been playing The Way Home. Simple roguelike that took about 8 hours to finish the story. After beating the story you unlock party mode which allows you to play a 50 level dungeon, and each level completed allows you to select a skill upgrade or a character/character upgrade who fights with you. I found it charming enough after the first of 4 islands to pay the $6 for no ads and support the developer.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Pocket City 2 official trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVHQbj6BDO4

Wow. That's quite a bit of new stuff.

god loving dammit :negative:

i will never be free

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

delfin posted:

I pretty much bent Raspberry Mash over my knee and broke it, so I'm going back to Soul Knight. Most of the advice I'm seeing seems kind of counterintuitive (like, how Assassin is supposed to be a superclass but I can't get past the second boss with it, while I'm in love with the widely-panned Wizard), but I'm testing various things out to figure out what works.

Anything else of note out there in that quasi-roguelike casual action RPG world these days?

I've been liking Ultra Blade a lot, it's tagged as a "souls-like combat ARPG." Most of my runs are sub 10 minute affairs so far, but there's an unearthly amount of stuff to unlock. It's a really polished wave combat game, essentially.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Deakul posted:

Y'kno, aside from the predatory as gently caress gambling system plastered all over everything, Mighty Doom is a pretty fun Archero knock-off but it might also just be the Doom flavoring that gives me bias. :kiddo:

I kinda had a fist bump moment with a chain of jump pads that let me rocket every monster in the arena it was nice.

Yeah, it has enough neat little flourishes (the weapons, glory kills, jump pads) that I can forgive the shameless Archero reskin, but man, there is a lot of concentrated Freemium Game Bullshit packed into everything that isn't the actual gameplay. Definitely gives me the feeling that I'm gonna hit a pretty hard paywall sooner or later, which is a bummer.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

hey on a long road trip and on the hunt for some games. looking for relatively real games, offline is plus but not mandatory. island empire, hoplite, and all of yiotro's games are my usuals. any reccs/new hotness I've missed out on?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pladdicus posted:

hey on a long road trip and on the hunt for some games. looking for relatively real games, offline is plus but not mandatory. island empire, hoplite, and all of yiotro's games are my usuals. any reccs/new hotness I've missed out on?

Not new by any means, but Chronotrigger or Dragon Quest 5 would be my main recs for just a game you play that doesn't have any mobile bs attached.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Not new by any means, but Chronotrigger or Dragon Quest 5 would be my main recs for just a game you play that doesn't have any mobile bs attached.

a dq is a solid choice, peering through the thread had some good recs. Might check out:
kotor
minuteknight
dicey dungeons
s-kladom/shrpoty (yiotro games)

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah, it has enough neat little flourishes (the weapons, glory kills, jump pads) that I can forgive the shameless Archero reskin, but man, there is a lot of concentrated Freemium Game Bullshit packed into everything that isn't the actual gameplay. Definitely gives me the feeling that I'm gonna hit a pretty hard paywall sooner or later, which is a bummer.

Yea the progression is super slow I hit a hard wall at the gauntlet style stage.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kotor plays great on my phone, and I'd say has a better interface + graphics than trying to play the old PC version. There was supposed to be a remake coming out but I think it's in limbo now.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Pladdicus posted:

Slay the spire is all you need

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

thehoodie posted:

Slay the spire is all you need

Or you could do dawncaster which is the same style game but you can play in portrait.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

teethgrinder posted:

Kotor plays great on my phone, and I'd say has a better interface + graphics than trying to play the old PC version. There was supposed to be a remake coming out but I think it's in limbo now.

I used a mod to skip the intro and then couldn't get past the first space shooting part, touch controls seemed way too slow. The main part of the game seemed to work fine though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Brotato is out on mobile now and it's good as hell :hellyeah:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played the first level of Terra Nil, a strategy game where you revitalize a wasteland, on my phone today. It works pretty well, though sometimes the buildings take a little finagling to get them in the proper position, and oh boy was my phone (Pixel 7) getting preeeetty dang warm by the end of it.

Cool game though, I like the concept.

Edit: it's free for Netflix users

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

explosivo posted:

Brotato is out on mobile now and it's good as hell :hellyeah:

It looks like magic survivor/vampire survivors. Is that right?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Len posted:

It looks like magic survivor/vampire survivors. Is that right?

Pretty much yeah. It's a really good one of those.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Angory Tom played it on PC, looks like a good time. https://youtu.be/9I_WYKQLWdk

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Brotato is a game I have all the achievements for on Steam and over 100 hours played. It's pretty good.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

CaptainBeefart posted:

I've been playing The Way Home. Simple roguelike that took about 8 hours to finish the story. After beating the story you unlock party mode which allows you to play a 50 level dungeon, and each level completed allows you to select a skill upgrade or a character/character upgrade who fights with you. I found it charming enough after the first of 4 islands to pay the $6 for no ads and support the developer.

I gave this a try and, despite initial impressions, kept going with it. (Man, that was a lot of ads to grind through.) Party Mode changes everything up because figuring out which chars work well together and which powerups they can use is almost a game in itself -- I need to chart it out or something.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Kind of a shot in the dark, but are there any goons playing (Warhammer) Tacticus? Now that they've finally added things to do with guilds I'd like to see if there's a goon guild up for it yet.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Night Danger Moose posted:

Kind of a shot in the dark, but are there any goons playing (Warhammer) Tacticus? Now that they've finally added things to do with guilds I'd like to see if there's a goon guild up for it yet.

Yea I've been loving tacticus, but my pubbie guild is pretty dead. If you find a good one post the info here, the game doesn't seem too popular though.

I've been buffing mainly summoners and it's working really well. Sho'syl (guy with the sniper drones) and aleph null (spiderbot) are monsters, Sho'syls drones do piercing damage, spiders do piercing on the round they're summoned. Bellator and his summons have also won me many arena fights even after my whole team has died just because they're so drat tanky. Archie and his demons hit hard too but he's a little squishy. I've been trying to fit yorrick or the grot tank or makhotep in but they never accomplish much, so I'm still looking for a good fit for my last arena spot. How's your experience been?

Jows
May 8, 2002

Cynic Jester posted:

Brotato is a game I have all the achievements for on Steam and over 100 hours played. It's pretty good.

Any tips? I got to 20 once but got pwnt by the boss.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Jows posted:

I won difficulty 0 with the ghost, maxed dodge, and ethereal weapons. In general, high dodge makes up for all the items that force you to trade armor for other good stats; while luck makes it harder to get ahold of extra starter tier 1 weapons to combine into higher tiers, everything else high luck affects is good; HP Regeneration is an easier stat to get buffed up nicely than Leech; and you can relax a lot of difficulties you might otherwise have problems with in taking items that force you to trade one stat for another simply by buying every item you see that spawns a turret for you and investing a bit in Engineering (though I have yet to win a pure turret build, I'm sure they can).

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Jows posted:

In general, ranged > melee on most characters as it makes it easier to avoid most enemies and shots, with the added benefit that there are items that give your projectiles pierce and chain as well. Early harvesting is super strong, but it gets worse the later in the run you are. Pick one between Lifesteal and HP regen to focus on, usually based on how fast your weapon attacks. Always have a little bit of health regen to recover from incidental hits, as past wave 5 or so not taking any damage becomes less of a viable strategy.

For your first win, a bunch of characters are viable, but the most straightforward is probably Ranger and going into either SMGs or Shredders early on. Just ramp your ranged damage and %damage stat and try to hit 60% dodge and 10+ armor before wave 20.

Mage is also pretty straight forward, just go for SMGs or Shotguns and elemental damage and try to get more Snakes and Scared Sausages.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Retromation has beaten the game on every character difficulty 5 and bunch of modded character. He is a fun lets player if you are looking for some tips.

He did play on older patches but the game has gotten easier since then.

The biggest tip is to know the shop mechanics.

1) you are more likely to find a weapon you already own.
2) the first three waves shop will always have two items and and two weapons.
3) same rarity weapons can't show up. So you can find two grays of the same weapon in the same shop. But you can find a gray, blue, purple, red all in the same shop.

So the first three waves you really want to get as many of your weapon of choice ASAP. If you have to choice between a blue and grey weapon in the first three waves, go gray and lock the blue. You are more likely to find another grey next wave. Do not buy any items in the first three waves, just lock the good ones you want for wave 4. Getting more weapons earlier means you are more likely to get weapons through the waves.

4) character are tagged for certain items.

Lucky will find more luck based items. Ghost finds more dodge based items. Etc etc. Can't really abuse it but it is good to know.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Happy birthday

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I won difficulty 0 with the ghost, maxed dodge, and ethereal weapons. In general, high dodge makes up for all the items that force you to trade armor for other good stats; while luck makes it harder to get ahold of extra starter tier 1 weapons to combine into higher tiers, everything else high luck affects is good; HP Regeneration is an easier stat to get buffed up nicely than Leech; and you can relax a lot of difficulties you might otherwise have problems with in taking items that force you to trade one stat for another simply by buying every item you see that spawns a turret for you and investing a bit in Engineering (though I have yet to win a pure turret build, I'm sure they can).

i just did difficulty 0 with ghost as well, instead of going wide like i normally have been trying (filling up my weapon slots before upgrading anything), this time i built up 1 of each of the ethereal weapons to try and maximize early stat growth from their ability (you dont want to get 10 kills on each of 6 weapons when youcould get 20 on 3) and that really let me snowball

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
what happens to any extra dropped materials at the end of the round in brotato? they go into that little bag icon under your resources but then as far as i can tell just deplete as you kill enemies in the next wave?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

quite stretched out posted:

what happens to any extra dropped materials at the end of the round in brotato? they go into that little bag icon under your resources but then as far as i can tell just deplete as you kill enemies in the next wave?

Every one of them is a 2x the next round, you'll notice it emptying as you pick up materials.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

NinjaDebugger posted:

Every one of them is a 2x the next round, you'll notice it emptying as you pick up materials.

Oh sweet thanks. I was wondering why I randomly had 2x popping up.

Still haven't finished a run yet. I can't decide if it's because the game's hard or I just suck

Jows
May 8, 2002

Renegret posted:

Oh sweet thanks. I was wondering why I randomly had 2x popping up.

Still haven't finished a run yet. I can't decide if it's because the game's hard or I just suck

:yossame:

How do you unlock ghost?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Jows posted:

:yossame:

How do you unlock ghost?

Get your dodge up to 60%.

no more books
Aug 4, 2011
I got the game a little while ago and wasn't getting very far, then managed to beat 0 difficulty with my first Wildling attempt. Since weapons were so limited I just bought a bunch of passives and it was a piece of cake.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Some of the passive uniques can get absolutely bonkers

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

delfin posted:

I gave this a try and, despite initial impressions, kept going with it. (Man, that was a lot of ads to grind through.) Party Mode changes everything up because figuring out which chars work well together and which powerups they can use is almost a game in itself -- I need to chart it out or something.

Yeah the main story part was a bit underwhelming but party mode is keeping my attention.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Happy birthday

You remembered :unsmith:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Shwqa posted:

You remembered :unsmith:

Happy birthday forums user Shwqa. I hope your day is okay.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Happy birthday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Brotato convinced me to buy a 8bitdo controller. I'm also excited to get back into Castlevania SotN and Dead Cells with it.