Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm gonna try going Shadow cause that looks fun, but it seems like there's easy respecs.

Not Diablo 3 easy since they cost gold (for passives) and time (for skills, since you can only add levels in a skill for free up to a minimum skill level that's determined by your character's level, and after that you have to earn the XP again though at an accelerated rate).

So you'll want to be careful about switching your skills, particularly your main damage skill when, say, you unlock a new one, but (if you're not spending all your gold on shatter runes or stash tabs) changing passives is pretty cheap at most points in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Picked this up on Friday, been having fun. Started out with a Lighting Blast/Static Orb sorc (using Glacier at first) and I got it up to level 50. Then I decided to try a Hammerdin, got that to 25 so far, and its not bad. Then an Ashen Crown crown dropped when I went back to play my Sorc a bit. So now I'm considering retooling my Sorc to use targeted Lightning Nova instead of Static Blast, which has proving shockingly (:haw:) mana hungry. Part of me is also tempted to retool for fireballs cause when I played PoE a few years back, my favorite was a Chieftan who would just flame dash around and spray fireballs and ignite everything to burn up (throwing flame walls under big enemies for extra single target). Though apparently burn/ignite damage isn't so hot (:haw:) right now?

Also been tinkering with and setting up loot filtering stuff. Is there a way to copy individual rules and paste them into a second filter setup? I know you can duplicate a whole filter but I just wanna swap a few of the rules I set up on the hammerdin over to the sorc's filter without reworking the whole drat thing.

Also kinda want to try a Necromancer, maybe. I feel like I should concentrate on one character to start out with though, lol.

Otherwise, any suggestions for a setup thats basically "rapidly dash around, point in a direction and things over there just die"?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Every class has builds like that. If you want specific builds, you could check out the ones posted on lastepochtools, which is a great tool for both looking up pre-existing builds and crafting your own.

Personally, I like exploding skelly mages, but I've been playing a spirit plague focused Lich as well, which is absurd.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've been leveling an Acolyte / Lich spec, and I'm surprised at well simply just Blood Curse + Harvest has been holding up. I'm level 40 and using some level 20 Unique Scythe and still 1-2 shot virtually everything but these stupid Profane Flesh monsters.

I've got a decently rolled Death's Embrace for once I hit 75.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think any random build is more than capable of handling the campaign. It isn’t until higher level monoliths and into empowered that cracks start to show on really suboptimal builds.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Diephoon posted:

I need to rebuild him to survive in there better but I'm wondering if any class can just say gently caress it and get to scrappin no matter how unoptimized their gear is.

Druid, Lich, and Glacier Sorceror. Druid gets unparalleled access to damage reduction layers in its passives. Lich has an extra health bar with reaper form, insane leech from its tree and has death seal which is the biggest defensive/offensive steroid in the game, albeit with only like 70% uptime. The Sorceror passive tree has a node that gives you big chunks of ward when you spend big chunks of mana and glacier has mana refund nodes that enable you to spam the skill and generate giant 10k+ ward stacks. The interaction is very likely to get nerfed though, as it was added in right before the patch dropped with minimal testing and is clearly overtuned.

Also it's good to keep in mind that for every class you should be investing very heavily into defense over offense to make progression feel good. Any damage reduction you can get from your passive tree is a required point dump, all or most of your idols should have health or vitality, and you want vitality prefixes on boots and chests and helms. You also want hybrid health and % increased health on every piece of gear it can fit on and flat health everywhere else. It's completely worth wearing gear with only the defensive stats you need and no offensive benefit as you level and progress through monoliths. Once you get to empowered monoliths and higher levels you start to get more of your defenses covered by empowered blessings and implicits on gear and after that is when you should start caring about investing into damage and possibly trading defense for offense.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Otherwise, any suggestions for a setup thats basically "rapidly dash around, point in a direction and things over there just die"?

The devs are kind of against this in general. They want players to have to pay attention to enemies and dodge stuns and meteors and stuff. High attack rate, multi-hit stuff is also very much the meta for damage, especially single target. There are some options that kind of fit the bill though.

Earthquake Werebear has a nice charge skill that lets you speed through maps and, with a common unique from one of the monolith bosses, can cast a screen clearing nuke every 5 seconds.

Unarmed Paladin (Video) isn't as speedy, but has the biggest nuke in the game. You use a unique that requires you to have no weapon equipped in your main hand, but gives you flat fire damage per attunement and every 3-4 seconds you punch the ground and vaporize everything nearby.

Rogue has a short cd on its dash skill and generally plays pretty fast. I like this phys crit build that creates shadows using synchronized strike then dashes away, which causes the shadows to do an AoE nuke and then drop spinning blades that seek out enemies and explode and then you probably get some extra shadows off of kills so you throw a shuriken or wait til your next dash to get more exploding blades. It's a fun chain reaction setup that you can pull off every few seconds and the build is the best monolith farmer I've played. You never stop moving and it has good boss damage as well with shurikens.

Decoy Bomber marksman is another big nuke build that requires more setup than earthquake or judgment but still feels very blasty and you have shift for frequent dashes. You maintain stacks of a fire damage buff using cinder strike and toss out an exploding fiery decoy every 4-5 seconds. The build guide for it is a little out of date, you'd have to put a little effort into updating it, but it's a fun playstyle.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

gnoma posted:

The Sorceror passive tree has a node that gives you big chunks of ward when you spend big chunks of mana and glacier has mana refund nodes that enable you to spam the skill and generate giant 10k+ ward stacks. The interaction is very likely to get nerfed though, as it was added in right before the patch dropped with minimal testing and is clearly overtuned.

It's hilarious it made it past any kind of QA. 'Gain your mana in Ward when you cast a spell' (when mana stackers can exceed 1,000 mana and cast several spells per second) compared to similar passives which are poo poo like like 'gain your intelligence in ward when you use a potion'. It's broken beyond belief, enjoy it while it lasts.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
That ward buff is getting nerfed because most sources of ward are absolute trash that scale terribly. Even other options on the higher end of the curve are pretty bad.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Diephoon posted:

Who do you all think is the strongest class in terms of not blowing up in Empowered Monoliths with minimal gear? My Void Knight is my highest damage character so far, but I lost motivation to play him once I hit emp monos and started getting pasted in melee. I need to rebuild him to survive in there better but I'm wondering if any class can just say gently caress it and get to scrappin no matter how unoptimized their gear is.

VK is generally pretty good at that, maybe look at spell versions if you're having trouble with melee, paladin's fine with minimal gear too. Primalist/Druid get wild defensive passives and cold dot bear or bugnado are both great at that. Also Lich as mentioned.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Picked this up on Friday, been having fun. Started out with a Lighting Blast/Static Orb sorc (using Glacier at first) and I got it up to level 50. Then I decided to try a Hammerdin, got that to 25 so far, and its not bad. Then an Ashen Crown crown dropped when I went back to play my Sorc a bit. So now I'm considering retooling my Sorc to use targeted Lightning Nova instead of Static Blast, which has proving shockingly (:haw:) mana hungry. Part of me is also tempted to retool for fireballs cause when I played PoE a few years back, my favorite was a Chieftan who would just flame dash around and spray fireballs and ignite everything to burn up (throwing flame walls under big enemies for extra single target). Though apparently burn/ignite damage isn't so hot (:haw:) right now?

Also been tinkering with and setting up loot filtering stuff. Is there a way to copy individual rules and paste them into a second filter setup? I know you can duplicate a whole filter but I just wanna swap a few of the rules I set up on the hammerdin over to the sorc's filter without reworking the whole drat thing.

Also kinda want to try a Necromancer, maybe. I feel like I should concentrate on one character to start out with though, lol.

While you can copy rules within a filter and copy entire filters, I don't think there's a way to copy individual rules from one filter to another, but I imagine you could do it through the .xml if you cared to.
I get tempted by alts, but focusing on one character will probably get you further in the long run. Echoing Lich, Druid or BM squirrels, Bladedancer, VK for the last, lightning sorc's fine, although glacier is probably easier leveling. Hammerdin is solid too, although I think it doesn't really take off until you get more levels and decent crit. I think every class has good to great builds for the endgame as it is now, some might be a bit harder to gear for.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

well I've played two builds to Monoliths (not empowered mind), but I'm not really digging either the builds, or the endgame 'mapping' or both, not sure

The maps feel kinda/very empty, and the loading on each map is annoying given how fast you run them

I did some kind of swarm beetle lightning thing on druid, and a shadow blades teleporting bladedancer - both seem to be able to tear through early monoliths with no effort, but I wasn't really digging the feel of either

dunno if I need to try a different class/build and get deeper into endgame or just wait for the next major patch to adjust mapping feel

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Mob density seems to get higher as you get to higher level monoliths. The first few feel really empty.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’m still a babby sorc messing around in normal monos so I’m sure it turns to crap later, but I’m really enjoying this Disintegrate/Black Hole fire build I threw together. Specced into Red Giant and throwing it down before lasering directly into it is very satisfying. Flame Ward keeps me alive, and Teleport lets me get away from whatever I might need to run from. Now I just need to decide if I want Black Hole to explode periodically or rain down meteors. :v:

The downside is it is pretty squishy so I can already tell survivability will be an issue later, but that might be a gearing thing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Having an option to raise the difficulty earlier would be real nice.
Even without any Uniques or knowing what I'm doing, the campaign is super easy and building around Uniques you have from the start pushes it right from easy to just tedious.

Doing the campaign in multiplayer must be even less interesting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What is Legendary Potential?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

one of the dungeons lets you smoosh an exalted together with a unique to make a legendary

it has to have 4 affixes iirc, and it'll pull the number of lp (1 to 4) in affixes randomly from the exalted into the unique

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Escape --> Game Guide has a pretty good summation about the Legendary Potential stuff;

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

What is Legendary Potential?

You know those sweet purpz you can find? Well with 1 LP on an item you can take one random skill from the purple and apply it to the unique. If you find something with like 3-4 LP it takes all the stats and places them on the unique creating a really nice piece of gear.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It feels like the Unique fused with a purple items should be what’s called “Unique” and the Uniques should just be the ones called “legendaries”.

Unique as a name for the item type has never made sense to me given they’re always the same…

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
In games where items are randomized its "unique" to have set stats. Agreed that in this case they should be reversed though but I think the whole LP system was a later addition

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You can think of them as having unique stats that other items can't roll.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Switched over from bleed bug to lightning bug and having a much easier time. Especially now that I got my res and crit avoidance sorted. Only at 1600 health though, will have to tackle that next.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So I know Hybrid Health and Crit Avoidance (?) are rare-ish universally usefulaffixes that I have a separate loot filter for so I can pick them up and shatter the gear they’re on for shards, are there any others I should throw into that pile? I have it as it’s own pool so I don’t confuse it with gear I actually want to use that has beneficial stuff for my class/build.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hybrid health is really the big one since it seems quite rare. Even stuff like crit avoid or crit multi, which are kinda rare, you eventually build up a big surplus of but hybrid health I feel like I always need. The other rare ones to look out for are the class specific affixes but obviously that's not going to be universal

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Sorting the chart on https://lastepoch.tunklab.com/affixes by "reroll chance (rarity)" will likely give a general idea, but of the rare affixes there (crit avoidance is not really THAT rare but is definitely always useful) not many are universally useful besides Hybrid Health. My callout filter also includes X Penetration, Increased Leech Rate, the shield-only affix for All Resistances, the belt only affixes for Extra Potion Slot/Potion Health and Ward/Ailment Cleansing on Potion Use, and Hybrid Stun Avoidance, but the last 3 of those are difficult to call "universally valuable".

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kaddish posted:

Switched over from bleed bug to lightning bug and having a much easier time. Especially now that I got my res and crit avoidance sorted. Only at 1600 health though, will have to tackle that next.

Yeah, probably should. What level are you? I have >3.5k at 88 and I'm still missing health rolls in a few places, including gloves.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Sorting the chart on https://lastepoch.tunklab.com/affixes by "reroll chance (rarity)" will likely give a general idea, but of the rare affixes there (crit avoidance is not really THAT rare but is definitely always useful) not many are universally useful besides Hybrid Health. My callout filter also includes X Penetration, Increased Leech Rate, the shield-only affix for All Resistances, the belt only affixes for Extra Potion Slot/Potion Health and Ward/Ailment Cleansing on Potion Use, and Hybrid Stun Avoidance, but the last 3 of those are difficult to call "universally valuable".

Yeah, Hybrid Health is really the non-class specific I find myself short on in the long run. Penetration is fairly rare and almost always useful. All res is good. I think Ailment cleanse is vital, but it doesn't really scale so once you have a few you're pretty much set. I might shatter or remove like %health, movespeed, t4/5 cast speed, attack speed, crit avoid, crit multi, flat added spell damage or elemental damage over time early on until I have enough to get by.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a way to change what ring I'm comparing? It only ever shows me one.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was looking for a class to start over with that was basically the opposite of the primalist druid so I'm doing a static orb sorcerer and seems fun so far but still early on so I'm extremely squishy. I do hope they give us a way to level alts without having to go through the story to unlock idol slots and subclasses.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

This game needs to stop making me incredibly indecisive about my Sorcerer by dropping what look like build-enabling uniques.

I've got:

Prism Wraps (seems amazing for drat near any Sorc)
The Ashen Crown (channeled range Nova Build)
Harbinger of Stars (Meteors build?)
and now I just got the Ignivar's Head catalyst, which looks like it'd make for a fun Disintegrate build... and disintegrate looks pretty dang cool.

Battlemage's Endeavour (level a spellblade instead?)

Leaning towards the Nova Build (I had actually just started to retool for it, respecing large chunks of Teleport) or the new Disintegrate idea. Or I could just go back to L.Blast/Static Orb. Or figure out some kinda ignite fireball build like my old PoE Chieftan. Nova and Disintegrate both seem cool, but channeling is a bit of a bother when I want a build that can be reasonably on the move.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 4, 2023

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
The devs have specifically said that they aren't going to add a different leveling method. They think that using dungeon keys to skip to different sections of the story is good enough and want to add more dungeons to give more skip options, but have given no info about when the new dungeons might be added.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is there a way to change what ring I'm comparing? It only ever shows me one.

Not yet, but it’s planned to show both eventually.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

explosivo posted:

I was looking for a class to start over with that was basically the opposite of the primalist druid so I'm doing a static orb sorcerer and seems fun so far but still early on so I'm extremely squishy. I do hope they give us a way to level alts without having to go through the story to unlock idol slots and subclasses.

The only way I’ve found to make sorc not feel like it’s made out of paper is to play a build that can stack ward to crazy levels.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Hauki posted:

Yeah, probably should. What level are you? I have >3.5k at 88 and I'm still missing health rolls in a few places, including gloves.

I'm 82. I was hoping the primalist passives would do a little more work than they did. Aspect of the Boar is very solid though. I'm up to 1800, I'll need to start sorting my gear, though I don't look forward to that as I have my resistances all where I want them. I fall into this trap in almost every arpg - I get a good balance on my gear but I want to add something specific and it's a huge pain.

Edit - There is no reason to go above 100% on crit avoidance, right?

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 4, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

If it helps, capping resistances is significantly less important than hp

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kalman posted:

Not yet, but it’s planned to show both eventually.

Ok I thought it was a little crazy for not seeing it. In the meantime I can just unequip the one I don’t want to look at.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

KPC_Mammon posted:

If it helps, capping resistances is significantly less important than hp

Yeah, that seems to be the prevailing wisdom. Just gonna have to bite the bullet and transition over.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
Capping resists also gets easier once you start clearing empowered monoliths and picking up grand blessings, which can roll up to 75% in certain resists, freeing up some suffix slots for health rolls - this is partly why people recommend you rush to them once you reach monoliths!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kaddish posted:

Yeah, that seems to be the prevailing wisdom. Just gonna have to bite the bullet and transition over.

For what it’s worth base implicits can be a good place to shore up specific resists, i.e. ivory rings, bone amulet for necrotic, crusader gauntlets for void, cold or fire on boots. Some relics/hats/chests can also be good for that, although I’d aim for the new %health bases for Druid specifically. Those also have the added benefit of not making your character look like the qanon dude.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I have a question about what to do with all this loot. I'm using the maxroll filter for my class (static orb sorc, currently in my 50s). But I still get so much stuff that I have multiple stash tabs of junk that I can't afford to shatter. It's also not worth selling (I'd have to sell 100 things to get enough gold to buy one shatter rune).

I assume at some point I'll be rolling on gold and be able to shatter to my heart's content? Or should I stop picking up so much stuff. For example, a lot of them seem to be selected by the filter just the resist affixes. Once I have enough (10? 20?more?) items that I can shatter for fire resist someday, can I stop picking up things that have no affixes I care about except fire resist?

Sorry for the noob question, but I am not a man of many pockets.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just drop it and forget about it?

But yes eventually you'll have hundreds of thousands of gold just buy leveling a few characters.

Originally i was picking up every Exalted item I found but many of them aren't worth picking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Yeah, by the time you reach empowered monos you should only be picking up 'useful' exalts and basically nothing else, unless it has a desirable class mod on it. Also when you get an item with several tiers of a super-rare or valuable mod make sure to use Rune of Removal rather than Rune of Shattering, you'll get a lot more shards out of it.