Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Tears streaming down my face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

mcvey posted:

Tears streaming VODing my face

Ftfy

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Sucks that the one game in like 5 years that I really want to play might not come out.

I literally don't give a poo poo about anything else. Since the playtest ended, everything else seems really boring.

Give me my game-drugs!!!!!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Oh, since I never really looked into it, P3 wasn't actually being developed by Nexon itself, but a subsidiary called Mintrocket. If you've ever heard of Dave The Diver, that's Mintrocket. It's a small studio that Nexon established/acquired to make games like P3 and Dave The Diver. Mr. A's mutiny took roughly 20 people from Mintrocket, which at the time consisted of 30 people. So they might not have anyone to just replace the lost devs so easily.

The competitor I mentioned turned out to be called HYBE, not HIVE, sorry. Translation is hard. They are one of the big S. Korean entertainment corps, and they have been looking to break into the gaming industry. The issue was that Ironmace was going to be... revealed? 'Acquired'? As a part of HYBE subsidary 'HYBE IM', which I misunderstood earlier. HYBE IM already exists, as a note, and has been funding IM. IM has presented itself as a small indie studio with little money and hopelessly threatened by the massive Nexon, which had gained them much sympathy and love in S. Korea (and here in America), but when it came out that they were actually apart of HYBE which is seen as like if uh..

Toby Fox kept talking how small and indie he was and how little money he had. And then it was discovered that he actually worked for Warner Bros or Sony and was being funded by them and had been using the stories of being broke indie dev to get extra sympathy money and sales. Needless to say, the S. Korean community hates Ironmace now.

EDIT: Also I did a little research into Blind, where the Nexon employee account came from. You have to actually provide your company email and use it to verify yourself before you can post on it, and it lists your company with your post as verified. So it is not truly anonymous, and is why people use it to leak info because there is actually an amount of confidence that it isn't random people talking poo poo.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 1, 2023

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Kchama posted:

Oh, since I never really looked into it, P3 wasn't actually being developed by Nexon itself, but a subsidiary called Mintrocket. If you've ever heard of Dave The Diver, that's Mintrocket. It's a small studio that Nexon established/acquired to make games like P3 and Dave The Diver. Mr. A's mutiny took roughly 20 people from Mintrocket, which at the time consisted of 30 people. So they might not have anyone to just replace the lost devs so easily.

The competitor I mentioned turned out to be called HYBE, not HIVE, sorry. Translation is hard. They are one of the big S. Korean entertainment corps, and they have been looking to break into the gaming industry. The issue was that Ironmace was going to be... revealed? 'Acquired'? As a part of HYBE subsidary 'HYBE IM', which I misunderstood earlier. HYBE IM already exists, as a note, and has been funding IM. IM has presented itself as a small indie studio with little money and hopelessly threatened by the massive Nexon, which had gained them much sympathy and love in S. Korea (and here in America), but when it came out that they were actually apart of HYBE which is seen as like if uh..

Toby Fox kept talking how small and indie he was and how little money he had. And then it was discovered that he actually worked for Warner Bros or Sony and was being funded by them and had been using the stories of being broke indie dev to get extra sympathy money and sales. Needless to say, the S. Korean community hates Ironmace now.

EDIT: Also I did a little research into Blind, where the Nexon employee account came from. You have to actually provide your company email and use it to verify yourself before you can post on it, and it lists your company with your post as verified. So it is not truly anonymous, and is why people use it to leak info because there is actually an amount of confidence that it isn't random people talking poo poo.

That seems a bit of an odd way to verify people, given that an email sent via company email can almost certainly be traced back by that same company. Wouldn't that mean that the company is okay with someone speaking anonymously on their behalf, or else they would get fired?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sailor Dave posted:

That seems a bit of an odd way to verify people, given that an email sent via company email can almost certainly be traced back by that same company. Wouldn't that mean that the company is okay with someone speaking anonymously on their behalf, or else they would get fired?

Yeah, I don’t know. It might just be set up as a company-approved way of speaking out.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
What a loving rollercoaster lol

Well I’m sure there’s about a dozen devs working on their own D&D clones now, so I’m sure we’ll get something eventually

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

just to reiterate, there is nothing wrong with employees banding together and quitting an employer to form their own company even if losing employees fucks over that company

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

just to reiterate, there is nothing wrong with employees banding together and quitting an employer to form their own company even if losing employees fucks over that company

But it does mean that they couldn’t just reallocate devs to replace the ones Mr. A took with him, and would result on the game being cancelled. And morality has nothing to do with legality. What’s moral isn’t necessary legal, nor vice-versa.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

that's not true at all.

if nexon was invested in the project, they could divert labor or resources to backfill the project, assuming the assets were not maliciously destroyed in the departure.

i understand the way corporate bureaucracies can be designed to make this impossible, but it's perhaps this very corporate inflexibility and environment that caused the project to not be able to continue which caused the employees to revolt in the first place!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Goons, let's just remake the game in Roblox.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

we also don't know the specific politics on the previously cancelled project. perhaps they felt they had a banger, were overruled on working on it, and so they basically worked a huge amount of time on something and were told all the time they spent on it was wasted.

it's reasonable to speculate the employees were fed up on being managed from nexon and were terrified they could face another cancellation.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

that's not true at all.

if nexon was invested in the project, they could divert labor or resources to backfill the project, assuming the assets were not maliciously destroyed in the departure.

i understand the way corporate bureaucracies can be designed to make this impossible, but it's perhaps this very corporate inflexibility and environment that caused the project to not be able to continue which caused the employees to revolt in the first place!

Mintrocket is not Nexon though. I assume that even if, for example, 20 people quit IM to join Steelrod, that D&D would be cancelled no matter how many people bankrolled them, because that would cripple the studio and take a long time to recover from.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Goons, let's just remake the game in Roblox.

Was never really a fan of exploiting child labor.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I just want to give my money to someone to play this amazing game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I just want to give my money to someone to play this amazing game

This. I don't care legally whose idea it is for a dungeon royale or who modeled the knight's helmet or developed shrinking aetheric circle in cubical cathedrals, genuinely. I wish the big corps acknowledged that was our stance. Nexon or Nixon or whoever will not ever win this fight in the court of public opinion, and that matters more but corporations are corporations so they don't give a squart.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 2, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

CJacobs posted:

This. I don't care legally whose idea it is for a dungeon royale or who modeled the knight's helmet or developed shrinking aetheric circle in cubical cathedrals, genuinely. I wish the big corps acknowledged that was our stance. Nexon or Nixon or whoever will not ever win this fight in the court of public opinion, and that matters more but corporations are corporations so they don't give a squart.

I doubt Nexon gives a single flying gently caress about any other knockoff, since there's a bunch of them already and Nexon hasn't ever made a peep about them. The whole deal with Ironmace is because Ironmace hosed over Mintrocket.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Sailor Dave posted:

Well the verification email isn't exactly proof that you're talking poo poo on Blind. It doesn't even have your username or name anywhere on it, just a code you input on the app to verify.

tbh one could probably deny using it and claim it was some spam/phish mail targeted at them. There's no identifying information on it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kchama posted:

Toby Fox kept talking how small and indie he was and how little money he had. And then it was discovered that he actually worked for Warner Bros or Sony and was being funded by them and had been using the stories of being broke indie dev to get extra sympathy money and sales.

What.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kchama posted:

Are you saying, "imagine if" toby fox did that? He doesn't exactly hide that undertale made him a pile of money and he would have to do an awful lot to get people to not like him so it's a hard situation to imagine.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

No Wave posted:

Are you saying, "imagine if" toby fox did that? He doesn't exactly hide that undertale made him a pile of money and he would have to do an awful lot to get people to not like him so it's a hard situation to imagine.

It was a comparison, yes. Since uh, there's not exactly many indie game makers who made it super huge like Toby Fox. So it'd be very scandalous to learn that he was effectively Secretly A Corporate Stooge and not someone who got their fame and money the way he did. That's why Ironmace has lost so hard in the court of public opinion in Korea. Ironmace is seen as the ultimate sell-out/fakes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh the way you wrote it was like that's what actually happened with him and I thought I missed some big story.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Oh the way you wrote it was like that's what actually happened with him and I thought I missed some big story.

Sorry for being unclear then.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

And did Koreans really think IRONMACE was just a scrappy indie startup? The game itself could be made by a few people since the assets are pretty much all purchased but you can't support playtests the size they did without charging unless you got some real money backing you.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

And did Koreans really think IRONMACE was just a scrappy indie startup? The game itself could be made by a few people since the assets are pretty much all purchased but you can't support playtests the size they did without charging unless you got some real money backing you.

It’s how they present themselves as. Hell, a lot of Americans think they’re that. They put out an “About Us” with their “Case Against Nexon” and it stuff about how their members are sleeping in a jiujitsu dojo without pay because they can’t afford an office. They’re described as an “indie startup”, self-described and in many articles.

So even if Koreans didn’t believe it from the start, it’s how they want people to view them.

And when it became clear that they were lying about being an indie game studio and in fact had very serious backing, the Korean community turned on them.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 3, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh I know it's how they presented themselves but you gotta know a small indie group wouldn't be able to support hosting the number of players and matches they did once the game blew up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kchama posted:

It’s how they present themselves as. Hell, a lot of Americans think they’re that. They put out an “About Us” with their “Case Against Nexon” and it stuff about how their members are sleeping in a jiujitsu dojo without pay because they can’t afford an office. They’re described as an “indie startup”, self-described and in many articles.

So even if Koreans didn’t believe it from the start, it’s how they want people to view them.

And when it became clear that they were lying about being an indie game studio and in fact had very serious backing, the Korean community turned on them.
I mean both of these things can be true. They can have funding from a billionaire while still struggling to make ends meet and taking poo poo pay. If they reinvest all the money into the company I dont understand why anyone would be mad. I guess SK is as dumb as the US.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I think they ended up getting like 1.5m from investors and that's been kind of running things so far. Then their plan was to EA in April, sell 100k copies at $10-$20 and that would carry them through. Nexon basically hit em with this at the exact perfect time to force them into needing some more money just to pay legal fees. IRONMACE is probably dead rear end broke right now.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

No Wave posted:

I mean both of these things can be true. They can have funding from a billionaire while still struggling to make ends meet and taking poo poo pay. If they reinvest all the money into the company I dont understand why anyone would be mad. I guess SK is as dumb as the US.

Yes, but they were using it to present themselves as a group who were not being funded by a billionaire. Both of those things can be true, but they didn’t say they were both true. They left out that they were heavily funded from the start while playing up being initially poor (even though this didn’t make any sense, as the Jiujitsu Dojo was owned by the CEO and there wouldn’t be any reason for the devs to sleep in the dojo itself from the start).

It was the contradiction of their words as opposed to their circumstances that turned S Koreans against them.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The details are all stupid and I don't care. Nobody's a murderer or racist or sexually assaulting people. Whoever is stopping the game from being made is the one who sucks. Let me play.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
ngl my first thought was "if Toby Fox worked for Warner Brothers then Sans would definitely be in Multiversus"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lemming posted:

The details are all stupid and I don't care. Nobody's a murderer or racist or sexually assaulting people. Whoever is stopping the game from being made is the one who sucks. Let me play.

Yup.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
In this case, it’s both parties for different reason. Ironmace because of their idiocy in how they handled their departure from Mintrocket and using what they did there, and Nexon/Mintrocket for their desire to be recompensed for what Ironmace did to them.

Even if nobody is a sexual assaulter or murderer or racist, a law was still potentially broken. Those aren’t the only laws or morals that can be involved in a video game. I am sympathetic to ‘LEMME PLAY I DON’T CARE’, but if Nexon is correct, Ironmace is still the immoral and illegal party.

And if that’s the case, then it is by Ironmace’s hand that the game isn’t playable.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 4, 2023

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Let's just crowdfund a new company to hire them and tell them to leave their dumb server behind and do it right this time

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Your best bet is to not involve anyone from Nexon or Ironmace at all and just remake your best amalgamation of DaD in either fortnite or Roblox. Nothing in DaD is particularly groundbreaking, but all together it’s a nice game.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kchama posted:

In this case, it’s both parties for different reason. Ironmace because of their idiocy in how they handled their departure from Mintrocket and using what they did there, and Nexon/Mintrocket for their desire to be recompensed for what Ironmace did to them.

Even if nobody is a sexual assaulter or murderer or racist, a law was still potentially broken. Those aren’t the only laws or morals that can be involved in a video game. I am sympathetic to ‘LEMME PLAY I DON’T CARE’, but if Nexon is correct, Ironmace is still the immoral and illegal party.

And if that’s the case, then it is by Ironmace’s hand that the game isn’t playable.

probably one of the most bitchmade things ive ever read lol. someone stuff this guy in a locker, stat

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
oh no a loving ip law, someone think of the poor multibillion dollar corporation

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dave the Diver is real good though so good on Mintrocket there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

oh no a loving ip law, someone think of the poor multibillion dollar corporation

Ah right, I forgot that 'explaining is condoning'. I'm not explaining this to show that I like that Nexon is potentially in the right and I am rooting for their victory.

Just that uhh, people are going to be super shocked and confused if Nexon wins if they only hear Ironmace's side of the story.

Edit: Also it loving sucks when the big evil megacorps get to appear to be genuinely right for once. Like Koreans are actually siding with Nexon and that's the worst.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 4, 2023