Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

das hipster posted:

The Royal Family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what in the gently caress is a grooming gang?

i think over there they call it parliament

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
A monarchy is a grooming gang with an army and navy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!
https://twitter.com/flaminhaystacks/status/1642825331840040961?s=20

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Starmer is going to milk every opportunity to turn the UK even further to the right.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
he's a temporarily embarrassed fascist

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm p sure kieth isn't embarrassed of being a fascist in any way

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
have you not heard the man speak? he sounds perpetually embarrassed and about to cry

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm sure that his very existence is one big embarrassment, but it's not the being a fascist part. in fact he seems inordinately proud of that

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mrpwase posted:

Burn this loving country down and salt the earth

holy poo poo

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Sometimes I remember someone calling him magic stepdad and I do a little internal chuckle

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

He's a perpetually embarassed fascist

That was his job, whenever the cops killed someone or the gov broke the law he went, "I'll stake my reputation on it that this was all above board" then when it turned out they weren't he'd publically eat poo poo in lieu of anything being done.
That was his job for years

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
can someone give a condensed summary of the utter ratfucking that Corbyn got? I was focused on the ratfucking that Bernie got at the time

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Like the Democrats, I look at Labour/Keith and just think "lol. lmao"

there's nothing there, there's nothing aspirational, the politics are a conservative status quo at best and an ongoing destruction of state support for private interest. theyre just husks of political parties that don't seem to represent anyone in particular

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Nothing made me check out of national politics harder than watching bernie being hosed sideways by the succ voltron in the 2016 and 2020 primary. I feel like it was the same for corbyn supporters

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Nigel Lawson just died and he was a huge piece of poo poo so that's some good news today

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the celebrity chef ??

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ex post facho posted:

Nothing made me check out of national politics harder than watching bernie being hosed sideways by the succ voltron in the 2016 and 2020 primary. I feel like it was the same for corbyn supporters

The 2019 election was when it became clear to me that UK politics is dead and I better start focusing on the small picture of my life because there is no hope - zero - in The Big Picture. At all.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ex post facho posted:

The Guardian was publishing articles how the author, as a Jew, feared for her live because of Corbyn. Reversing Brexit was the existential question of the age, probably bigger than the whole Russia gate psychosis and the moment Corbyn resigned it went away without a whimper. The Labour party bought facebook ads that they only targeted at their party leadership. It was quite something.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Keir going on the radio to say 'actually Corbyn was never my friend' is unfathomably poo poo. Like whatever say what you feel you need to to scrabble desperately for power but that's just rat behaviour that earns you nothing in the eyes of the voters and media that you think are impressed by it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ex post facho posted:

can someone give a condensed summary of the utter ratfucking that Corbyn got? I was focused on the ratfucking that Bernie got at the time

Someone will do a better one but basically

Beginning: Corbyns the first figure in British politics talking positively about immigrants in living memory at the labour primaries and people approve.
I remember very clearly 1) someone in the audience asking him how he was going to avoid being ratfucked by the media and him not having a good response 2) someone asking him about Israel and him immediately spinning off on a self annihilating tangent

Nevertheless after the abject failure of the labour right, corbyn sneaks his name in on the ballot and wins quite convincingly.

That very day the Guardian, the only leftish newspaper in the UK goes fully feral against everything it's been advocating for for the last decade and starts trying to savage corbyn.
Originally the only scandals anyone can find are that he is boring and he had sex with a black woman. Nobody in the UK public apart from the left cares about Israel Palestine so they can't get him on that either.

Theres a challenge from the labour right over some nonsense nobody cares about and all they do is give him a much larger mandate when the labour right forces their woman with actual name recognition to step aside for an empty suit man and he gets owned.

Corbyn's regarded as a joke by the media until 2017 when new PM Theresa May, the least charismatic creature on earth, calls a snap election. Everyone is predicting massive blowout defeats for labour but they make a lot of gains against the worst candidate in the world, still well short of winning though.

At this point everyone in the media wakes up to the real possibility of a corbyn victory if the tories are killed by brexit. Some of them just want to pay less taxes but a huge number are genuinely convinced that if you do things like house the homeless that it's a short skip to Maoist gangs of children eating their teachers.

The Jewish right have also been driving themselves steadily more and more insane with terror about corbyn over his anti Israel stance. The media starts to fan these flames to try to split the labour left, corbyn has by far the most anti racist credentials of any PM candidate in my life so they attack his strength and make it a huge weakness.

Meanwhile the internal party is just fully sabotaging everything and attempting to throw the elections. Corbyns team isnt telling anyone this but later a tattletale report will be released with all the receipts but only after corbyn is already out.
In particular the complaints department corbyn inherited is run by some oval office who isn't doing his job so none of the discrimination poo poo is being dealt with and this becomes used as a factional weapon by this dude to cover his rear end. Corbyn actually improves the process but all the media have been running stories about labour antisemitism so it doesn't matter.

Then brexit happens, instead of killing the tories it utterly fucks labour and galvanises the tories.
The guy in charge of labours disastrous brexit strategy is Sir Kier Starmer, security state ham ghoul, who promises to continue corbyns platform and wins the leadership after corbyn tearfully quits in disgrace with his flimsy succession plan blown to poo poo when they lose their seat too.

Kier immediately purges the party and kicks Corbyn out and calls him an antisemite. He then uses labour party money to pay off a bunch of the saboteurs.

A bunch more happened. It was the death of political hope for Britain but everyone is required to remember it as a near miss with racist tyranny.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It was enlightening in how busted institutionally the labour party is, I don't think we had anticipated them just sabotaging themselves in order to tank an election or that that would even be possible with a big mandate. It was very naive

Also in how strong the media is, by 2019 EVERYONE was convinced corbyn was some kind of evil person.
Even my family who consciously knew these were political hits were talking about him being an antisemite anyway by the end.
I think the guardian did a lot of damage. If you're a labour voter you pretty much only read the guardian so 4 years of relentless venom from them wore down all the support

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
It only came out in 2017 but the guardian has been taken over editorially by the British security services which explains a lot about them going all in against Corbyn. It obviously never got play in the press but the British establishment were clearly terrified of Corbyn getting access to all the worst state secrets particularly in relation to northern Ireland

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

euphronius posted:

the celebrity chef ??

No, her father Nigel who used to be a tory minister & Chancellor of the Exchequer at one point.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

the sex ghost posted:

Keir going on the radio to say 'actually Corbyn was never my friend' is unfathomably poo poo. Like whatever say what you feel you need to to scrabble desperately for power but that's just rat behaviour that earns you nothing in the eyes of the voters and media that you think are impressed by it

I mean, it's not actually a lie, though I'm assuming he omits the part where he pretended to be Corbyn's friend while orchestrating the intra-party ratfucking.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Jeremy "perhaps I should have looked into Keir's record at all" Corbyn

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Baseless accusations of antisemitism is going to be the gift that keeps on giving in western democracies, that particular cat is never going back in the bag

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
thank you

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

adding somewhat to the corbyn ratfuck party, the chicken coup (when the labour right first tried to oust him by running a complete nobody) was over his weakness on brexit - corbyn had a huge appeal among younger people, but those younger people also really liked the EU/hated brexit and corbyn's an old-school left-wing euroskeptic. noting that going along with the government's programme in the scottish independence referendum had been a disaster for the party, corbyn's labour decided to do their own remain campaign, which was promptly ignored almost completely by the press.

the anti-semitism issue is one of the most bald-faced fabrications i've seen a mass media successfully run. there is no evidence for the labour party ever having been especially tolerant of anti-semitism, or of anti-semitism being more prevalent there than in british society at large. with corbyn, the party grew enormously and so you got cranks saying crank poo poo occasionally, but there really was never any real indication (polling data, complaints data, leaked chats, pattern of injudicious comments from party officials which was not sanctioned, whatever) that anti-semitic attitudes were a particular problem to labour. there was some, and the internal disciplinary procedure for dealing with this was very bad and basically used the old trot-hunting apparatus to try and deal with what amounts to behavioural standards in addition to being actively sabotaged by the secretary general. however, that's a story with one or two follow-ups - this stayed prominent for years and corbyn's camp had no answer to it.

this is important, because his exclusion now has been justified by his minimising the extent of anti-semitism in the party by saying stuff like "while anti-semitism like any other form of racism has no place in the labour party and there have been incidents which are unacceptable, the issue was deliberately overblown to scare people and to discredit the party" which is demonstrably the most reasonable interpretation of the situation.

add to this his deputy leader actively leaking stories to a very eager press and a lot of people actually working for the party actively undermining it to the point of loving with resource allocations during the 2017 election, which really did come very close to making continued tory rule impossible - as-is they had to pay an enormous bribe to ulster maniacs, which wouldn't have been an option with a few more marginals going labour. in that case, there wouldn't have been any majority for a government except for a very weak labour minority government, which would likely have seen a snap election with corbyn at the absolute height of his popularity and with enormous momentum behind him.

at the end of the day, though, brexit really did him in by driving a wedge straight through his deindustrialised-peripherpy/low-income, young metropolitan coalition. when push came to shove he chose the latter and lost the former to the tories in 2019, which led to our present circumstance.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Brexit was obviously a nightmare for Corbyn, but it's worth remembering that that was another thing the wreckers in the party weaponised against him. he went into the 2017 election with a vague, coherent, sensible position of "the people voted for Brexit so we have to do it, but we'll do it better than the Tories", with hints about looking to rejoin the common market. from what I remember it didn't come up much as an attack line against him.

instead of uniting behind that (and we know the media class are capable of uniting behind that position because that's literally where they are now) the Labour right spent the next two years howling to anyone who would listen about how the party's Brexit policy was incoherent and demanding Corbyn support a second referendum, which was a sure-fire way to piss off the Brexit-voting portion of the base. he eventually caved on that just before the 2019 election and the rest is history.

the antisemitism got lots of play in the media and gave the London media class their excuse to disavow him, but it was Brexit that really sunk him in the rest of the country. both were calculated acts of sabotage.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Communist Thoughts posted:

It was enlightening in how busted institutionally the labour party is, I don't think we had anticipated them just sabotaging themselves in order to tank an election or that that would even be possible with a big mandate. It was very naive

Yeah, same. I was like: "Sure, the Labour Right are going to sulk and grumble about the Left being in charge but sabotage their own party's election chances? Why would they ever do that!"

I was about to add a line about how dumb I was but back then, I feel very few people appreciated just how malignant the Labour Right were and that they saw their primary opponent as being not the Conservatives, but the Labour left. I guess various figures being openly horrified at the idea of ordinary people having a say in the direction of a major political party should have been a clue but oh well.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I like how everybody was very clear to state that he interfered in ken livingston's disciplinary case, without stating that the interference was to kick ken out, and then ken did a round of interviews about how much corb supported him lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

No, her father Nigel who used to be a tory minister & Chancellor of the Exchequer at one point.
I was gonna make a joke about her being his female clone, but apparently that's not a joke. Must've gone to the Will Smith school of naming children.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
There was an element of farce to the Corbyn ratfuck that really is hard to explain and can only really be shown with the graph showing attitudes to the press absolutely collapsing every time they opened their mouths. Secret Czech spy claims that got the agency name wrong from an undercover live aid organiser, his hatred of Vienna, that thing where the same journalist explained why wearing or not wearing a tie both meant he was stalin

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, same. I was like: "Sure, the Labour Right are going to sulk and grumble about the Left being in charge but sabotage their own party's election chances? Why would they ever do that!"

I was about to add a line about how dumb I was but back then, I feel very few people appreciated just how malignant the Labour Right were and that they saw their primary opponent as being not the Conservatives, but the Labour left. I guess various figures being openly horrified at the idea of ordinary people having a say in the direction of a major political party should have been a clue but oh well.

I'd expect the labour right to sabotage the lefts chance of victory because let's be honest we'd do the same to the labour right, what I didn't expect was how easy it is for the labour establishment to just stay put and drag their feet despite the "new administration" coming in.

The huge mandate and constant left wing votes to the NEC etc didn't actually have any effect on changing the administration of the labour party itself

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Spangly A posted:

There was an element of farce to the Corbyn ratfuck that really is hard to explain and can only really be shown with the graph showing attitudes to the press absolutely collapsing every time they opened their mouths. Secret Czech spy claims that got the agency name wrong from an undercover live aid organiser, his hatred of Vienna, that thing where the same journalist explained why wearing or not wearing a tie both meant he was stalin

I remember someone calling him 'spectre of communism haunting britain' lmao lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Charlie Brooker acted like he was basically Satan on his second to last Newswipe.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

this is important, because his exclusion now has been justified by his minimising the extent of anti-semitism in the party by saying stuff like "while anti-semitism like any other form of racism has no place in the labour party and there have been incidents which are unacceptable, the issue was deliberately overblown to scare people and to discredit the party" which is demonstrably the most reasonable interpretation of the situation.

Yep, and remember that the EHRC report* specifically said in its conclusions that discussing the scale and scope of antisemitism in the Labour Party was not in itself antisemitism. And that the thing the report criticised most strongly was the lack of official due process and interference in cases by the leadership - while acknowledging that all the proven cases of 'interference' were Corbyn (or, more accurately, Corbyn's office) speeding up the removal of people being antisemitic cranks. The EHRC simply felt that, even if the leadership is interfering for the right reasons, it meant the system wasn't impartial, showed that the Party's official processes were not adequate and those who were actually responsible for them were not doing their job.

One of Starmer's first acts as leader was to intervene to suspend Corbyn's membership, after Corbyn said the issue, while real and serious, was overblown by the press. Which, by the recommendations of the report, is far more egregious than any of Corbs' supposed crimes.

When JC says that 'the issue was deliberately overblown', remember that in the context of newspaper opeds stating that a Corbyn-led government would be an "existential threat" to Jewish people in Britain, and a big-name columnist and pundit went on LBC and said that Corbyn wanted to (direct quote) "reopen Auschwitz"...and when the host incredulously asked whether he really meant that and that it was absurd to suggest such a thing, he said "‘I’m sure, in 1933, they had similar conversations in Germany: “the Fuehrer’s never going to do that”". So, on that basis alone, it's a plain fact that the issue was overstated!

*this may not be be deliberate, but the similarity in initials of the EHRC (Equalities and Human Rights Commission) and the ECHR (European Court of Human Rights) played a part as well. I've lost track of the number of people who think that Corbyn/Labour were investigated by an international court specifically set up in the aftermath of the Holocaust and which usually deals with war crimes, genocides and homophobic quasi-dictatorships, rather than a Blair-era British QUANGO.

Gato posted:

Brexit was obviously a nightmare for Corbyn, but it's worth remembering that that was another thing the wreckers in the party weaponised against him. he went into the 2017 election with a vague, coherent, sensible position of "the people voted for Brexit so we have to do it, but we'll do it better than the Tories", with hints about looking to rejoin the common market. from what I remember it didn't come up much as an attack line against him.

instead of uniting behind that (and we know the media class are capable of uniting behind that position because that's literally where they are now) the Labour right spent the next two years howling to anyone who would listen about how the party's Brexit policy was incoherent and demanding Corbyn support a second referendum, which was a sure-fire way to piss off the Brexit-voting portion of the base. he eventually caved on that just before the 2019 election and the rest is history.

the antisemitism got lots of play in the media and gave the London media class their excuse to disavow him, but it was Brexit that really sunk him in the rest of the country. both were calculated acts of sabotage.

Uh-huh. Also note that, having campaigned vigorously for a second referendum Brexit policy (as a change from the 2017 one of "we'll do Brexit, but a better one"), with dire warnings about how not doing so would break apart the party, in his first weeks as leader Starmer decreed that Brexit was a "settled issue" and is sticking to that stance even as the damage it does becomes ever clearer and more and more public opinion turns against it. Almost like it was never a genuinely-held belief and more a piece of sabotage...

Pistol_Pete posted:

:same:

Here's a prime example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isr0F3bLA-M

Stephen Kinnock on the campaign trail in the Welsh valleys in 2017, not only predicting a Labour loss but actively hoping for one because it would be the end of the Corbyn project. His mood visibly lightens when they discuss the sweepstake on the size of the Conservative's majority, and you can see it sagging again when people on the doorsteps actually respond positively to Corbyn rather than himself. And when the exit poll comes in he looks (in quick succession), shocked, disappointed and annoyed. To the extent that he has to have a good talking-to by his wife (a former prime minister of Denmark) who tells him to buck up and actually celebrate that they've had a really good result rather than be mealy-mouthed about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Here's the whole thread
https://twitter.com/frolix22/status/1445087442667724817?s=20