Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It was about as nudge-nudge as getting hit with a sledgehammer.

Yes, which is how Cody does everything. But that kind of thing he can hide behind being the gimmick. I definitely recall him being very diplomatic outside of literal promos and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It was about as nudge-nudge as getting hit with a sledgehammer.

no no it was a subtle sledgehammer

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

TV Zombie posted:

So everything is back to the way it was, in wwe

Then

Now

Forever

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, which is how Cody does everything. But that kind of thing he can hide behind being the gimmick. I definitely recall him being very diplomatic outside of literal promos and such.

I know wrestlers who use subtext, and they’re all cowards.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

The first part is... not true, though? He was always very careful not to poo poo-talk WWE outside of nudge-nudge stuff like the throne entrance.

The Bucks mentioned in their book that in AEW he'd poo poo-talk WWE and talk about going to war with them constantly backstage and way more than any of them/while they and Kenny wouldn't really go out of their way to check in on how they were doing in the first place outside of seeing stuff on Twitter. Which was funny because he'd seemed more unsure than even they were of what to do before AEW started; WWE talked with the Bucks and Kenny separately and each were debating between whether to do WWE or try starting AEW. By their own admission Cody changed his mind on "stay with ROH, or start AEW, or crawl back to WWE" almost daily and didn't commit till a month or so before the announcement was made

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
like even before the throne Cody was giving shoot interviews about creative was jerking him around constantly and treated him like poo poo. dude very clearly outlined that he thought wwe was run by assholes and he hated working there by the end

and then he went back, lmao

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Gaz-L posted:

The first part is... not true, though? He was always very careful not to poo poo-talk WWE outside of nudge-nudge stuff like the throne entrance.

Throne entrance, golden shovel, that time he attacked Jericho in the private box and was like "we don't have invisible walls here", the times during his now retroactive heel run where he kept teasing a Pedigree. Plus on BTE wasn't he always the one doing the voices that were supposed to be parodies of HHH and Vince or whatever? Where they'd come up with dumb gimmicks for everybody and laugh at how smart they were.

If I was still a WWE fan I'd probably twist my brain around trying to say this is all part of a carefully scripted plan to make Cody an underdog. But nah, it's just really funny and dumb like 99.9% of things from WWE. I'm also growing more confident that Cody will be back in AEW before his career's over at this rate.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Don't feel one bit sorry for Cody, he's making a lot of money to get humiliated by Vince. It'd be like feeling sorry for HHH.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Interesting that there were no debuts at all over WM weekend. Hopefully this means that Jay White has dodged a bullet.

Well yeah Jay White's gonna have to put in 2 years in NXT baby

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/tapemachines/status/1643190019065094145

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The most frustrating thing about WWE is when you get moments like KO and Sami vs the Usos or Daniel Bryan at WM30 and you see what the company is really capable of with its insane roster + huge budget + wide reach, and then they just deliberately choose to not do that 98% of the time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

is pepsi ok posted:

The most frustrating thing about WWE is when you get moments like KO and Sami vs the Usos or Daniel Bryan at WM30 and you see what the company is really capable of with its insane roster + huge budget + wide reach, and then they just deliberately choose to not do that 98% of the time.

I mean KOSZ vs the Usos was very deliberately an example of part of that 98%.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its fun to think about what Cody was thinking. Like was the idea in his tattoo ink frazzled brain "oh, hunter and vince saw my anthony ogogo program, they'll accept me as their equal"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

HHH wasn't perfect as the head guy and Sami should've beaten Roman, but yeah, that's an example of them doing a storyline that people liked with a payoff that made folks happy and allowed a bunch of talented guys time to shine. The product wasn't the best but under HHH it was a lot better than before.

And that's super clear when you see Vince coming back and making that episode which is one of the worst episodes of the show ever. Vince is the biggest issue the company has and it will never get better while he's around, and it looks like he's gonna be around until he dies.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Its fun to think about what Cody was thinking. Like was the idea in his tattoo ink frazzled brain "oh, hunter and vince saw my anthony ogogo program, they'll accept me as their equal"

It's almost certainly as simple as he really did think working through the tit tear would endear himself to/win over at least one of them, and it absolutely did not because why would it

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Zayn and Owens/Usos match was so good. Probably the last good thing wwe will do for a long time.

bartok
May 10, 2006

WWE loves having the face lose multiple times against a heel champ to the point that when they finally win the audience doesn't care anymore. That's good poo poo pal!

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/_kennythoughts/status/1643088011452710914?s=46&t=Fg-yEjTwRcVeueE1WyZjkQ

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

It's almost certainly as simple as he really did think working through the tit tear would endear himself to/win over at least one of them, and it absolutely did not because why would it

As with WWE fans, wrestlers are also prone to "... yeah but this time will be different!"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I am a little curious how Endeavor/TKO is going to change the product going forward. I know they said nothing would change but they said that about UFC too and that was a lie. New branding? Sponsored gear? We're definitely going back to $60 ppvs.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

NienNunb posted:

The Zayn and Owens/Usos match was so good. Probably the last good thing wwe will do for a long time.

It was great, as were the women’s singles matches and the IC triple threat.

The main event was a fantastic match as well, out of context.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Blooming Brilliant posted:

As with WWE fans, wrestlers are also prone to "... yeah but this time will be different!"

Minutes before, Shane reenacted Vince's quad blowout to emphasize that getting hurt happens to everyone and is nothing special. The McMahons and God spelled this out as clear as they could for him

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I would love to see WWE try to sell 13 $60 PPV's PLE's per year

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They let Sami and KO win cause it’s the tag titles and they don’t give a gently caress about those. They’ll just wrestle the Usos a million time cause who else is a tag team? Yea.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

lmao

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

last 48 hours have been unbelievable, never would I have seen this big of a fumble after how high everyone was on WM Night 1. From the UFC sale to Vince being confirmed chairman to Cody losing and then getting demolished by Brock to confirming Vince made late Raw changes. Just been a rollercoaster of the most hideous kind lol.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I can't believe Lesnar unsolved racism :(

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

They let Sami and KO win cause it’s the tag titles and they don’t give a gently caress about those. They’ll just wrestle the Usos a million time cause who else is a tag team? Yea.

The street profits, it seems. The match was fun imo.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

explosivo posted:

I would love to see WWE try to sell 13 $60 PPV's PLE's per year

I don't think they do 13

But they're absolutely doing at least 4 (Rumble, Mania, Survivor Series, Summerslam) and I can easily see them justifying it for the blood money shows too

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I would love to see the conversation between Vince and MBS after the 11 AM on Friday PPV does 7 buys.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

I don't think they do 13

But they're absolutely doing at least 4 (Rumble, Mania, Survivor Series, Summerslam) and I can easily see them justifying it for the blood money shows too

Charging for the tentpoles and making everything else free on whatever streaming service makes a lot of sense but they’d have to do some real heavy lifting to make survivor series into a tentpole again because who the gently caress cares about that show anymore

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Charging for the tentpoles and making everything else free on whatever streaming service makes a lot of sense but they’d have to do some real heavy lifting to make survivor series into a tentpole again because who the gently caress cares about that show anymore

B...but it's the one time each year Raw and Smackdown stars compete!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s about Brand Supremacy maggle

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DMcIntyreWWE/status/1642703010601242626?t=soToSZ6bQhJMD4ujme3ptA&s=19

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So if Endeavor applies the same pricing model as they do to UFC, itll look something like this

UFC on Fox, ESPN UFC ≈ Raw, Smackdown; costs whatever cable or cable substitute does

ESPN+ ≈ Peacock, $10 a month or $100 a year, archives and midlevel events

UFC Numbered Events ≈ WWE PPVs, 12x$70 per year, must be a ESPN+/Peacock subscriber to even have the privilege to purchase such an event

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gaz-L posted:

cmon...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

"He never took shots at WWE, except for the very obvious times when he did" :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I would like one Drew Galloway and one Pam, yes, please, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

projecthalaxy posted:

I am a little curious how Endeavor/TKO is going to change the product going forward. I know they said nothing would change but they said that about UFC too and that was a lie. New branding? Sponsored gear? We're definitely going back to $60 ppvs.

My guesses are:
PPV model is back either in whole or just the big 4
Much more brand synergy like the Cinnamon toast crunch or prime stuff at mania
Just more general product placements
More superstars cutting ads or just mentioning products in promos.
More segments "sponsored by X"
Lot more ads throughout the show.
Crossovers with UFC (Not just doing ads for the up coming show but having fighters at or even involved in the show to cross promote. It's Vince so probably have like Usman or Izzy hang out with Apollo. Things like that)
Idk about new gear but I could see sponsors on gear