Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

apropos of nothing sometimes HITLER'S DEATH CAR will pop into my head, I can't even remember what it's from

I think that's one of the stock riffs they break out whenever they see a vaguely 40s looking car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Funky Valentine posted:

I think that's one of the stock riffs they break out whenever they see a vaguely 40s looking car.

it makes me giggle regardless

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
FONZIE'S DEATH CAR

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

FONZIE'S DEATH CAR

ayyyyyyyy…

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I foresee I’m gonna get hammered

Every time I see a Ouija board I think to myself 'She's tapped into the mystical world of Parker Brothers.'

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
HERVE VILLECHAIZE'S DEATH CAR

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Rock and roll martian ...

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Merlin's Shop and Sidehackers are both top tier imo

Today at 4 on Power Magazine

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

You magnificent son of a bitch!

I read your book!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Merlin was a thieving crackhead who fenced VCRs to feed his habit!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Remember to believe in magic, or I'll kill you.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Remember to believe in magic, or I'll kill you.

Oh, it's true.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
You're welcome

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well, I got old and roasted the cat alive with my breath, but I'm fine!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

apropos of nothing sometimes HITLER'S DEATH CAR will pop into my head, I can't even remember what it's from
A Day at the Fair, one of my favorite shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEY9uRknRRc

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Oh, it's true.

My mom said so!

Can you make an image a thread title?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

DMorbid posted:

A Day at the Fair, one of my favorite shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEY9uRknRRc

oh hell yeah

"What's this?" "EVIL!"

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Let’s go eat something gray :geno:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
You spent your nickel, we're done!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I’m the Crime Bill, BANG BANG!

I always heard it as "Crimeville", actually. Which reminds me - Supercalifragilisticexpialiwacky always struck me as being weirdly right-wing compared to like 99% of the other political humor in MST3K.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hello Mr. Senator. My daddy's out of work, and he says it's because of the deficit. So I saved some money in my piggy bank, and I'm going to give it to you to lower the deficit. If an 8-year-old kid can save money, how come the government can't?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I always heard it as "Crimeville", actually. Which reminds me - Supercalifragilisticexpialiwacky always struck me as being weirdly right-wing compared to like 99% of the other political humor in MST3K.

It's very much of a piece with most mainstream centrist "political satire" of the day- everyone agreed that taxes sucked and the deficit is scary and "gridlock" is a bad thing, the whole joke is that it's hitting on familiar "those clowns in congress" beats.

The Mike/CC years got into a lot of weirdly focused stuff like that, like having an entire segment making fun of Love, American Style or the "Turn your Crank to Frank" bit which was just because a lot of radio stations were going country.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's very much of a piece with most mainstream centrist "political satire" of the day- everyone agreed that taxes sucked and the deficit is scary and "gridlock" is a bad thing, the whole joke is that it's hitting on familiar "those clowns in congress" beats.

The Mike/CC years got into a lot of weirdly focused stuff like that, like having an entire segment making fun of Love, American Style or the "Turn your Crank to Frank" bit which was just because a lot of radio stations were going country.

There's this real clear and tight energy I really enjoy from the early Mike seasons. I'm a Joel partisan and some of the later sci-fi channel episodes are all timers, but that midseries stretch is just perfect for picking a random episode to watch. Howzabout shining my steak over here?!?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

There's this real clear and tight energy I really enjoy from the early Mike seasons. I'm a Joel partisan and some of the later sci-fi channel episodes are all timers, but that midseries stretch is just perfect for picking a random episode to watch. Howzabout shining my steak over here?!?

I love that there was a bit of overlap with Mike hosting before Trace left. Laserblast is a perfect episode imo

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

the "Turn your Crank to Frank" bit which was just because a lot of radio stations were going country.
It was also fairly specifically a play on a Minnesota station's slogan of "Turn your knob to Bob." The ad campaign was around 1994 which is also about when The Violent Years episode aired.

quote:

"And then Randy said to us: `You may think I'm crazy-but what if we named your station Bob?'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHzAa2jPbBw
"Wynonna!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know he's done a ton of work behind the scenes but still lol'ed at watching the credits for HBO's Perry Mason and seeing that Max Keller himself, Tim Van Patten, was an EP on it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ZZT the Fifth posted:

American consensus on those questions was extremely right-wing in that era. Having a general sense that the government was inefficient and made things worse was seen as common sense, an inheritance from the Reagan era and an artifact of the end-of-history era.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

muscles like this! posted:

I know he's done a ton of work behind the scenes but still lol'ed at watching the credits for HBO's Perry Mason and seeing that Max Keller himself, Tim Van Patten, was an EP on it.

I think Timothy Van Patten and Mr. Farrah Fawcett hair from Zombie Nightmare have both won Emmys for behind the scenes work on TV shows.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

I love that there was a bit of overlap with Mike hosting before Trace left. Laserblast is a perfect episode imo

I saw a “Cops” one time where they pulled a skinny guy out from under a couch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hogama posted:

"Wynonna!"

Am I OUT of Wynonna? :ohdear:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Brooks and Dunn!

Brooks and Dunn!

Wynonna! :v:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Red Zone Cuba is such an awful nothing movie and such a riveting episode for me

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Hogama posted:

It was also fairly specifically a play on a Minnesota station's slogan of "Turn your knob to Bob." The ad campaign was around 1994 which is also about when The Violent Years episode aired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHzAa2jPbBw
"Wynonna!"

Like, a part of me assumed that this was a reference but I'm glad to know exactly where it came from and HOW MUCH OF IT is directly referencing real radio bullshit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I Am Fowl posted:

Like, a part of me assumed that this was a reference but I'm glad to know exactly where it came from and HOW MUCH OF IT is directly referencing real radio bullshit.

Despite what they claimed later, there's a lot of classic riffs that were based on hyperlocal or extremely transient cultural phenomena.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Despite what they claimed later, there's a lot of classic riffs that were based on hyperlocal or extremely transient cultural phenomena.

Did they ever claim that it wasn't? They've always seemed to admit very readily things they're pulling from super local stuff, like all the Maynard's, Circle Pines etc references.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hogama posted:

We also had a Bob in Pittsburgh.

Last summer, while driving down 95, I found that one can turn their Crank to Frank in Florence, South Carolina

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dawgstar posted:

Did they ever claim that it wasn't? They've always seemed to admit very readily things they're pulling from super local stuff, like all the Maynard's, Circle Pines etc references.

They never denied using a lot of obscure local things for riffs, but I remember one/some of the them claiming in an interview they tried to avoid current events riffs which is...wrong because they really, really didn't. The current events jokes might've decreased a bit later on but they never went away.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

They never denied using a lot of obscure local things for riffs, but I remember one/some of the them claiming in an interview they tried to avoid current events riffs which is...wrong because they really, really didn't. The current events jokes might've decreased a bit later on but they never went away.

John Sununu goes for a haircut!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Splint Chesthair posted:

John Sununu goes for a haircut!

Kelly Flynn, on her way to another tryst.