Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Countblanc posted:

That's not really what I meant, but yes part of it is that rwby was really just shonen told by a western studio. It wasn't really original or novel in that way at all

Yeah it's a bit rich to say that the production where the main writers only watched anime after Monty had them mainline all his favorite 90s and 2000s shonen stuff + Cowboy Bebop + Avatar: The Last Airbender & Korra is somehow different from the average anime out there. Like every bit of the show is a pretty open composite of what they watched. I guess if you really want to get a random pedophilia jab in though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

All I know about RWBY is that much in the same way the writers of Supernatural made a deeply homophobic show that is simultaneously deeply man-for-man queer and their fanbase was mad at them for stumbling into something like that and then repeatedly shouting "NO HOMO", RWBY did the same thing but with women-for-women and it has apparently been driving the weeaboo lesbians in my social media circles up the wall for years until Catgirl and GMS' Far West: Now In Girl Form! finally kissed this last season or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah it's a bit rich to say that the production where the main writers only watched anime after Monty had them mainline all his favorite 90s and 2000s shonen stuff + Cowboy Bebop + Avatar: The Last Airbender & Korra is somehow different from the average anime out there. Like every bit of the show is a pretty open composite of what they watched. I guess if you really want to get a random pedophilia jab in though...

I'm not sure if that's directed at me so to be clear I didn't mean anything like that. I just meant to comment on how it felt like a Western take on shonen anime (thanks for the term Countblanc I'd forgotten it), from the one introductory video or whatever it was I remember seeing at one point.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's a very clumsily written shonen fighting show

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

You can save yourself some time by skipping RWBY and just watching the excellent video by hbomberguy where he unpacks everything that sucks about it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I liked RWBY at first but now it seems boring so I stopped around the time.....either the season where the genie hourglass thing showed up or the one after that. IDK what season that was.

edit I guess I'm two seasons and an anime reboot behind?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 2, 2023

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Gatto Grigio posted:

You can save yourself some time by skipping RWBY and just watching the excellent video by hbomberguy where he unpacks everything that sucks about it
I assume not that much time.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Countblanc posted:

This is a hosed up thing to say lol

Countblanc posted:

That's not really what I meant, but yes part of it is that rwby was really just shonen told by a western studio. It wasn't really original or novel in that way at all

Nuns with Guns posted:

It’s animated in 3D and has references to Western fairy tales instead of Japanese ones, you aggro weirdos

Gatto Grigio posted:

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I assume not that much time.
LOL, neither of you are wrong

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 2, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
dogg i did not even care that the show is blended shounen tropes, the thing that i was calling hosed up was that you pop in and say that a show was popular because japan was just enthralled by the novel idea of media that doesnt cater to pedophiles.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gatto Grigio posted:

I won't do that either.

Countblanc posted:

dogg i did not even care that the show is blended shounen tropes, the thing that i was calling hosed up was that you pop in and say that a show was popular because japan was just enthralled by the novel idea of media that doesnt cater to pedophiles.

Forget it, it's 40 year old GBS poster behavior.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

canepazzo posted:

Drivethru has the Against the dark master core rules pdf discounted to 5$ from 24.99, how is it? Any good?

It's basically role master, which is actually a really good system but has a steepish learning curve.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Oh God I'm so loving conflicted on how excited I am for the DnD movie. WotC has been poo poo lately, and I hate how much DnD dominates this market, but man, if I think about it, DnD and DnD novels are 100% what got me into this hobby.
It's like Star Wars; something that's been hosed over a lot recently by corporate bullshit, but the prospect of good stuff from it brings a childlike glee I have to accept.

It's a blast, just a really fun film. Go, and enjoy it :unsmith:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

I'm not sure if that's directed at me so to be clear I didn't mean anything like that. I just meant to comment on how it felt like a Western take on shonen anime (thanks for the term Countblanc I'd forgotten it), from the one introductory video or whatever it was I remember seeing at one point.

It wasn't directed at you. It was at AmiYumi saying that RWBY was popular in Japan for sticking out and being different in some way from any then-current Japanese animation trends.

AmiYumi posted:

It’s animated in 3D and has references to Western fairy tales instead of Japanese ones, you aggro weirdos

There's plenty of CG anime and anime that references western fairytales? And the only characters that reference western fairytales are the four main girls. The JNPR group are references to historical/mythological characters who wore cross-gender clothes or cross dressed at some point in their story/myth. Most of the adults are references to the Wizard of Oz. The setting has more in common with Avatar than anything else, and the overarching story and weapon/magic mechanics are generic shonen battle things.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Red Hood Hunter's Guild got cancelled after like 3 volumes so yeah it's not like there's this massive demand for western fairytale manga or anime. Or maybe people are just cowards and don't want amazon women

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sebmojo posted:

It's basically role master, which is actually a really good system but has a steepish learning curve.

And it plays slower than it strictly has too because you keep having to roll on critical hit charts to determine special effects from attacks and spells. I say the time is worth it, it adds a lot of flavor to the game that you don't get from just chipping away at hit points. It also hews close enough to D&D (classes and levels will be familiar) that it's a relatively easy pitch to people who only play D&D.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mllaneza posted:

And it plays slower than it strictly has too because you keep having to roll on critical hit charts to determine special effects from attacks and spells. I say the time is worth it, it adds a lot of flavor to the game that you don't get from just chipping away at hit points. It also hews close enough to D&D (classes and levels will be familiar) that it's a relatively easy pitch to people who only play D&D.

With the caveat that you do have to have the tables handy, I don't think it slows down play as a strong crit can just take someone out. Fights in rolemaster are generally quite fast and kinetic.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Countblanc posted:

RWBY's also not free of creep stuff, considering one of the lead writers can't resist talking about how pretty Weiss is all the time, and at one point he writes in a character voice acted by him to be her romantic interest.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hostile V posted:

All I know about RWBY is that much in the same way the writers of Supernatural made a deeply homophobic show that is simultaneously deeply man-for-man queer and their fanbase was mad at them for stumbling into something like that and then repeatedly shouting "NO HOMO", RWBY did the same thing but with women-for-women and it has apparently been driving the weeaboo lesbians in my social media circles up the wall for years until Catgirl and GMS' Far West: Now In Girl Form! finally kissed this last season or something.

Is Supernatural actually homophobic or is this just the people still being genuinely irate it didn't make incest fanfic canon

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think Castiel was related to Dean.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is Supernatural actually homophobic or is this just the people still being genuinely irate it didn't make incest fanfic canon
Supernatural's last episode has Castiel saying to Dean "look man I legitimately love you and angels aren't supposed to do that" and Dean basically just says "you too" in response as Castiel is dragged off to Turbohell meant for angels who form romantic attachments to people, confirming one of the most popular ships by having one half of it not actually being into it by virtue of being straight and one character dying. Then Dean gets stabbed to death in a fight a few days later and immediately goes to Heaven where he is reunited with the car and they both wait for Sam to arrive decades later.

Like is it actually spiteful against gay people from my knowledge? No. Did they write a work that's deeply homoerotic due to the sheer amount of men with speaking roles and the protagonist's girlfriends dying left right and center so it's JUST SOME GUYS BEING DUDES FIGHTING MONSTERS AND FLEXING and when people started shipping the men because it's not just your typical fandom misogyny, what women are in this franchise, the show's response was to just start yelling NO HOMO as loud as possible (discounting the incest shipping which they did in fact acknowledge to make fun of in a few episodes)? Yes. Yes they did, and it's a fandom/hatedom joke to call the show homophobic because god this stupid show.

https://twitter.com/portabible/status/1324563435380740098

Disclaimer about my statements:

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 3, 2023

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I liked RWBY at first but now it seems boring so I stopped around the time.....either the season where the genie hourglass thing showed up or the one after that. IDK what season that was.

edit I guess I'm two seasons and an anime reboot behind?

The genie was season 6. We are on season 9. The anime, Ice Queendom, wasn't a reboot. While it retells the first season in three episodes, it's actually a midquel that exists to expand on Weiss' character arc from season 1. Basically, it examines Weiss racism and the pressures her family put on her and the physical abuse she suffered from her father as she gets possessed by a Grimm and Team RWBY have to enter her nightmare to save her.

Basically, tho, RWBY is a guilty pleasure of mine. The series brushes against actually being good and then falling short. Like season 1, season 3, season 7, and season 9 are actually pretty fun. Season 2 and season 4 are enjoyable messes. Season 6 and season 8 are mid. And season 5 was so bad it actually was a huge jumping off point for the series. So far, season 9 has been really good. The premise of "their last planned failed so they're all trapped in Wonderland" actually really worked as it allowed the show to forget the plot and actually take a moment to examine the characters. Season 8 was a bit too slow because the characters talked too much and did too little since they weren't sure how to get involved until the midpoint, but they didn't really examine themselves in an interesting way. Having these breakdowns and people throwing poo poo at each other and actually starting to breakdown form the stress and failures have been fun, even if its obvious the writers don't know what to do with the rest of the cast during it.

I wouldn't reccomend the show to people. It's too uneven. It's writers don't have a plan. It might even get canceled with Zslav and all that. But I like it and I used it as the basis for my next-next game (after We Dig Giant Robots (in middle of publishing) and Petmon (which is basically playtested and done) Wild Hunt.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covok posted:

I wouldn't reccomend the show to people. It's too uneven. It's writers don't have a plan. It might even get canceled with Zslav and all that. But I like it

These are basically my feelings on RWBY too btw. It's incredibly dumb and you'll get potentially lethal levels of exposure to secondhand embarrassment whenever it tries to make political statements. It's very dorky popcorn entertainment. At least up to Season 7 where I think I left off? I should probably catch up to see if anything topped the time they decided to make an analogy to the 2016 Election years after the fact in the show.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

feedmyleg posted:

Thank you! I'm making a board game for a couple friend's wedding and I wanted to figure out what they currently like playing without asking them.
Sneaky. I approve.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is it sociopathic that I am agreeing to run 5e for a live group with the plans of running that for 6 months and then seeing if I can't ween them off 5e onto Pathfinder for Savage Worlds to eventually get them onto story games?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I don't think it's "sociopathic," but have you talked to them about it and about how long you intend to run 5e? If they're expecting you to run 5e indefinitely and don't have any interest in learning other systems, and you really need an end date on 5e and a system switch, someone's going to be unhappy in a few months' time.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Covok posted:

Is it sociopathic that I am agreeing to run 5e for a live group with the plans of running that for 6 months and then seeing if I can't ween them off 5e onto Pathfinder for Savage Worlds to eventually get them onto story games?

It's not sociopathic, but I don't think it will work out like this. You should be honest about what you want to do with your group.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, like, you shouldn't do some puppetmaster poo poo on these people. If you're not going to have it in you to run 5E or PF2E then you should just cut the poo poo. If it's a case of newbies who want to learn The World's Most Popular Roleplaying Game :tm: and you're hoping you can turn them on to something else after you wrap a campaign, then fair to have the hope, but communicate that.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Covok posted:

"Story games" are not like a higher level of "not-D&Dness" than Pathfinder, they're a totally different class tree. It'll depend on what, if anything, they find lacking in 5e.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Run the game, and at some point ask them if they would like to try a new system in the future. No need to be deceptive.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I would offer to run a few one shots in different systems

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Covok posted:

Lock them into a Saw-like dungeon where they lose extremities every time they roll a D20 and then present them with a D&D book and a "storygame" book where every mechanic is powered by a proprietary D17 that has a lobster on one of the faces.

Or just, you know, if the 5e game goes well and the group has good chemistry, eventually when the campaign reaches a natural close or stopping point, ask if anyone wants to try something else afterwards, then accept it with good grace if they say no and keep enjoying the good thing you've got going. Don't run 5e if you only see it as a "stepping stone" to something else rather than something you might actually enjoy with the group you've got just for what it is.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Covok posted:

Honestly I'd see if you can get them started on the games you actually want to play right off the bat, because the D&D brain damage is real and if your goal is to play other things, those games will go more smoothly if you're not having to unlearn bad habits.

That said, I've been where you are now, and sometimes you just cannot get new people to play Not-D&D for love or money. Nothing wrong with using 5e to either hook people who've never played an RPG before but are dead-set on playing the only RPG they know about, or to start up a new group with something they're all familiar with. But yes, if you're not going able to start them off on the games that are your goal, tell the players that your intention is to transition to another system eventually once the group is rolling along nicely.

To aid in this, and to help you avoid my mistake of starting off new players on D&D and then getting stuck running a five-year-long 5e game, I strongly suggest this technique: create a framework for the campaign that will culminate somewhere around level 11, or even lower depending on how regularly this group is going to meet and how quickly they'll be progressing. That way everyone gets a nice progression through the class levels, and the game culminates right when they feel genuinely powerful. Wrapping up a campaign there on a high note will give you about as much leverage as it's possible to have as a GM, the way HBO gives creators of a successful series carte blanche to make whatever they want next. If you can't transition to whatever game you want from there, even a jump as extreme as D&D to, I don't know, Polaris, you're never going to be able to do so, and you'll need to decide whether to keep playing 5e or find another group.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

Is this a live group who have never played RPGs and asked you, the RPG nerd friend, to run this "D&D" thing they've been hearing about?

If so, just be up front. Say you like running and playing RPGs and you'd like to play RPGs with them, but there's other systems and D&D isn't your favourite. Say you'll happily run a limited length campaign but once that's done you'll be looking to run or play in something else.

Prep some other system one shots for days with low turnout, and for the love of God do not use Pathfinder as a stepping stone to story games that's like describing two ends of the same bridge as stepping stones to Alpha Centauri.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

sebmojo posted:

I would offer to run a few one shots in different systems

yeah just do this

you just gotta count on your players being more resistant to GMing than they are to learning other systems :v:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah I wouldn't run a long D&D campaign on a lie, honestly i don't think it does anyone well to kind of sneer at d&d overall, offering to run one-shots of various games is, i think, a good practice if you're really interested in that, but the group may not be.

Not every group's going to be good for your quirky indie ~storygame~.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they're coming in totally blind the wallpaper paste of d&d may be what they need. Role-ing without rolling is a scenario some people need to be eased into and others will always flat-out refuse. If they start to notice boundaries that are interfering with their fun then you can offer some alternatives.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Yeah I wouldn't run a long D&D campaign on a lie, honestly i don't think it does anyone well to kind of sneer at d&d overall, offering to run one-shots of various games is, i think, a good practice if you're really interested in that, but the group may not be.

Not every group's going to be good for your quirky indie ~storygame~.

Yeah, this just shows a massive lack of respect to your players. I have no idea why just not go and propose oneshots or 1-3 session campaigns of several different systems to try and get people to find one that they all like

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Planning six months ahead is an absurdly long timescale for a game with people you've never played with before. Six weeks is a more realistic horizon.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kestral posted:

because the D&D brain damage is real

In what sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
You should sit them on the ground, place a copy of the Players Handbook, and a copy of Blades in the Dark on the floor across from them and see which one they will crawl towards.