Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

they made smartphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I've changed my mind, more sprint races please: https://talksport.com/sport/motorsport/1381482/formula-1-max-verstappen-quit-sprint-races/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

At the risk of being too :bahgawd: I'd rather the sport is run as a sport and not to provide extra opportunities for F1 Sprint Sponsored By Subway or whatever the gently caress the current owners are trying to do

Nah, this is trying to gin up more sessions with “stakes” but it’ll just continue to strangle the golden goose. The sprints and that weekend format is way too busy as it is, especially considering how many races there are now. 20+ races when a season was 16-18 just a few years ago, it’s just too much.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://clickhole.com/heartbreaking-the-worst-person-you-know-just-made-a-gr-1825121606/

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Was Rokit still with Williams after Dorilton? I don’t doubt it’s possible legally but it seems hosed up to seek damages from a company where none of the management/owners are the same anymore. They should sue Claire and George, is what I’m saying.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
https://www.si.com/fannation/racing/f1briefings/news/george-russell-red-bull-is-sandbagging-to-hide-true-performance-from-fia

Pernicious austrians trying to hide their strength? Possible. Worry for europe tbh

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don’t know that I’d call “getting a 3 second gap in about 4 laps and then just cruising” sandbagging, but ok George.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I don’t know that I’d call “getting a 3 second gap in about 4 laps and then just cruising” sandbagging, but ok George.

Extremely basic strategy, honestly. No sense in pushing when a SC can completely delete your advantage. Just get out of DRS range and bring the car home.

Could also build enough of a gap so you can gently caress up a corner, run wide through the grass, and still be 8 seconds ahead. Seems to be a winning strategy.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Better ban Red Bull just to be safe.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Sunk Dunk posted:

jealous of your attention span to read

i'm looking for a new job lately so it's not much of one. i end up reading a couple chapters here and there

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

oops beaten

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Man no wonder their car is slow when he's got that much extra drag

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I was curious about it after the race, and Max went from half a second back from Hamilton to 2 seconds ahead in one lap, then picked up 2-3 tenths a lap from there on.

I think it's a pretty fair theory that Red Bull weren't working particularly hard on Sunday, and the car has a lot more pace when wanted.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Sprint races are loving dumb for a pinnacle sport based on endurance of technology and driver under the most demanding conditions. It's what the support classes are for, now gently caress off FIA.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Simplex posted:

I was curious about it after the race, and Max went from half a second back from Hamilton to 2 seconds ahead in one lap, then picked up 2-3 tenths a lap from there on.

I think it's a pretty fair theory that Red Bull weren't working particularly hard on Sunday, and the car has a lot more pace when wanted.

Max had DRS for the full zone right after passing, and Lewis didn't. The delta between RB and Merc with RB DRS open and Merc closed was 36 kph, with both closed it's iirc 7 kph. Almost all of that 2 seconds was in the window where Max's car was like almost 20% faster in a straight line.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The sprint races make sense when you realize that the only part of modern F1 racing that doesn't suck is the starts and FOM understands that which is why we have an excuse to have another one. It's exactly why every spare rock on the track is an excuse to red flag the entire loving race and grind everything to a halt so they can have more of them

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gerblederp posted:

Better ban Red Bull just to be safe.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

toadee posted:

Max had DRS for the full zone right after passing, and Lewis didn't. The delta between RB and Merc with RB DRS open and Merc closed was 36 kph, with both closed it's iirc 7 kph. Almost all of that 2 seconds was in the window where Max's car was like almost 20% faster in a straight line.
That same lap he was over a full second faster than everyone. The next fastest car was Russell who was in DRS range behind Gasly the entire lap. Gasly at least started the lap in DRS range of Alonso.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

tony quidtana posted:

The sprint races make sense when you realize that the only part of modern F1 racing that doesn't suck

bring back refueling

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Diet Crack posted:

bring back refueling

:hmmyes: occasional fuel explosions could really spice things up

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Diet Crack posted:

bring back refueling

Unironically this. The sport is too straitjacketed. Let teams fight on extreme fuel strategies with tyre compounds that range between bubblegum and concrete with no middle ground and no arbitrary requirement to run multiple compounds.

But also, more sprint races so Max fucks off and more refuelling so maybe they get Jos second time around.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I hate sprint races, but if it gets Max to gently caress off forever then I will reluctantly approve 23 sprints every year.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Charles Leclerc posted:

But also, more sprint races so Max fucks off and more refuelling so maybe they get Jos second time around.

Lmao goddamn

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Charles Leclerc posted:

Unironically this. The sport is too straitjacketed. Let teams fight on extreme fuel strategies with tyre compounds that range between bubblegum and concrete with no middle ground and no arbitrary requirement to run multiple compounds.

Unironically think that having refueling back now theres multiple ways to pass cars on track regularly would be cool and good. The biggest issue with the previous refueling era was that there was just no way to pass reliably to justify the extra pit stop.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I remember an actual F1 strategist on maybe a Reddit ama(?) saying that refueling never added any interesting strategy from his point of view, because it functionally capped any potential strategy to a maximum number of laps instead of having opportunity for drivers to extend stints and make new strategies viable.

Perhaps “from his point of view” is holding the water here though because he wasn’t speaking as a spectator certainly.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I remember an actual F1 strategist on maybe a Reddit ama(?) saying that refueling never added any interesting strategy from his point of view, because it functionally capped any potential strategy to a maximum number of laps instead of having opportunity for drivers to extend stints and make new strategies viable.

Perhaps “from his point of view” is holding the water here though because he wasn’t speaking as a spectator certainly.

He's right refuelling does exactly 2 things.

1 - Makes all tyre changes the same time because it's fuel limited.
2 - Means every car is basically the same the entire race and there's no worn tyres (because you'll hit the fuel first and can't extend stints) and not burning 100kg fuel (because at most you'd put 50 in).

So you've removed 2 of the biggest variables in the sport to gain a small chance of an exciting fire.

It actively makes racing worse even if overtaking is marginally easier now. No-one will try outlandish strategies because the quickest one will almost always be obvious.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Charles Leclerc posted:

drivers these days win too many wdcs I agree

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Ban the safety car and do red flag every time imo but don't let the drivers change their tires

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

get better at applying the rules in a timely manner imo. More rules will just confuse the fia more.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

yeah because the strategy in the sport is so dynamic and vibrant now. we really should listen to these morons lmao

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Dudley posted:

No-one will try outlandish strategies because the quickest one will almost always be obvious.

This post brought to you by Amazon AWS

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

OVERTAKE DIFFICULTY

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The invisible fuel fires were incredibly funny and we need them again.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

OVERTAKE DIFFICULTY

F1 has this great habit of throwing around whataboutisms whenever something that can actually fix the racing gets proposed. I am sure inevitably someone will bring up how overtaking should take skill when something gets proposed down the road even though we have loving 4 DRS zones at some tracks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 4, 2023

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Why does refueling work in the American car series’? Because the pit stops are so much longer?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Look getting your race ruined by a stupid fia decision is just part of the show, I mostly watch F1 to see rich failsons cry on live television and this year has been great so far.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks Ants posted:

OVERTAKE DIFFICULTY

Good times in AD21

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

f1 should use the wec full course yellow procedures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Look getting your race ruined by a stupid fia decision is just part of the show, I mostly watch F1 to see rich failsons cry on live television and this year has been great so far.

If I wanted to see rules randomly decided on the whims of the producers and people desperately clinging to some tenuous amount of fame I'd watch Survivor.