Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

most parents will goto extreme lengths to not have their kids work any significant amount that interferes with school. The ones that have to have their kids work to meet basic needs are already probably are already doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/12bgqwv/growing_number_of_canadians_believe_big_grocery/

quote:

Good Lord you're just angry and clueless.

These are all publicly traded companies you can look at all of their financials.

But you won't, you'll just stay ignorant and angry and dug in.

You're picking on one of the lowest profit margin industries typically between 2 and 3% profit, and then claiming their price gouging just because you're completely ignorant on what's actually going on in the world.

It's really just so embarrassing and sad that people as ignorant as you get to vote and influence the direction this country moves in.

Jagmeet Singh loves pandering to people like you, might even get elected to prime Minister due to your easy to manipulate mind.

Stay ignorant and angry buddy you'll fit right in.

quote:

Grocery chains are not non-profits. Nothing illegal about it.

quote:

All that study showed me was that Canadians have remarkably poor financial and economic literacy.

quote:

You can't really prove something that's a matter of opinion. They haven't broken the law, they've simply made more profit than you personally believe is fair. Other people might think 3-5% profit is entirely reasonable.

quote:

If you blame the company that is arguably least responsible for grocery prices, you waste time and effort not fixing the actual problem.

While going through all the shitlibs, something suddenly occurred to me. See if you notice the same pattern I did. All of these are from separate accounts:

quote:

Or increased taxes on the carbon intensive farming industry.

quote:

A growing number of Canadians probably don't even know where all that food comes from or all the costs included. Many probably don't realize, for example, the amount of freight required such that they're affected by carbon taxation.

Average Canadians, quite frankly, have no idea and are absolutely willing to just blame things on rich people and say they're greedy than accept the more rational, complicated decision.

This scenario, playing out for months now, is a result of excessive spending and lending the government has done for the last fifteen years, exacerbated by bloated pandemic spending, made worse by carbon taxation, citizen bailouts like CERB, and corporate bailouts. Money is becoming worthless - so it's no surprise that it buys less food than it used to.

But instead of looking at it like this, the issue is simplified into "rich people bad" which is exactly what the people at the helm of causing all this wants you to believe. If you believe that "rich people bad", then you'll accept their insane policies that will actually make this problem worse. I pray we don't do stupid things like government acquisitions or quotas, but if you ask "common Canadians" if those things are a good idea, I am willing to bet a number of them actually believe that.

There's nothing wrong with the majority of Canadians not understanding a complicated issue, but making the majority of Canadians responsible for fixing it via democracy has led to problems in the past, for example Trudeau Sr's passing of the BoC act. Instead of letting economists and head controllers determine the best way of curbing inflation, Trudeau literally gained control of the BoC in 1980 so he could force interest rates down because people didn't like that. Interest rates were supposed to be the symptom of Trudeau Sr's excessive spending causing inflation - but screw consequences for actions, instead let's do what only one other country in the world has done and literally gain control of our own central bank!

To this date, the rift between common Canadians and good economic policy has been wide, and politicians (Harper and Trudeau Jr. included) have pounced on that weakness in Canadians' knowledge repeatedly to attempt to gain political ground.

Repeal the BoC act - politicians need to have consequences for enacting asanine economic plans.

quote:

Big government is profiteering with carbon taxes.

quote:

Growing numbers of Canadians cannot do basic math, or understand inflation. Let me guess, the profiteering got worse after the carbon tax increase? Even worse after the Ukraine war? After the government massively increased the money supply?

I won't defend loblaws, but the fact that people are channeling their anger towards corporations and not the government reflects a fundamental lack of understanding in this country. Businesses like loblaws benefit from inflation, but government created it, and continues to create more inflation.

Countermessaging hard at work! :nsa:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/12bgqwv/growing_number_of_canadians_believe_big_grocery/

While going through all the shitlibs, something suddenly occurred to me. See if you notice the same pattern I did. All of these are from separate accounts:

unsurprising that reddit has is populated by petty bourgeois and bourgeosis proletarians who think all this hate is being driven by greed, resentment, and gullibility

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

unsurprising that reddit has is populated by petty bourgeois and bourgeosis proletarians who think all this hate is being driven by greed, resentment, and gullibility

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Danann posted:

you should check out nextdoor lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nodelphi posted:

They did however have to promise to lower the age of the draft to the same age as a concession.

They should just start a military school program that yanks "troubled" kids out of regular schools under the vague claim it's to reduce school shootings. Then when they graduate they're forced into conscription with way fewer benefits or pay than a regular enlisted soldier.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
for real though nextdoor, Reddit, Facebook , disqus, etc has a big actual “bot” cointelpro type problem. likely it’s not officially government done, but definitely by big businesses and cops

also those are all ai written lol

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Noblesse Obliged posted:

only thing democrats will be doing about this is reminding us that sex work is work.

:piss:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

this is a good post

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

can 14 year olds join unions ?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Noblesse Obliged posted:

only thing democrats will be doing about this is reminding us that sex work is work.

also loving lmao :iceburn:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

They should just start a military school program that yanks "troubled" kids out of regular schools under the vague claim it's to reduce school shootings. Then when they graduate they're forced into conscription with way fewer benefits or pay than a regular enlisted soldier.

peasant soldiery for the 21st century with american characteristics :hmmyes:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

using the chatgpt api to write a "write a one or two sentence response to this headline from an anti-capitalist perspective" and setting it loose on reddit to counter the bad actors

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1643384445053939718?t=zxyDm6n5RRFLrHzmj_mdaA&s=19

So another 25-50bps according to mester

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Apr 5, 2023

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol i will never own a home

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol, lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
just crank this poo poo up to 15% like volcker you loving cowards

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
im excited to renew my interest rate for my mortgage soon, the rate is probably going to be nearly double what it is now

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
My parents had a mortgage at like 11%

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what are they at currently?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
technically five minutes is a time - the market, probably

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

they should try 100bps just to see what happens

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Child labor is the prerequisite to the return of American manufacturing jobs. The only way to compete with sweat shop labor prices is with sweat shop labor prices.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

I’m surprised they’re not doing this w prisoners, there was a dude here who shot three people dead in the street and he looked like the loving terminator doing it. Absolutely cold blooded. I thought he was ex military until I read his criminal history

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

My parents had a mortgage at like 11%

Yeah for like an 11k price

Prices can't drop, no one can refi, but for now people can just get free money to cover their default. What happens when that runs out

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah for like an 11k price

Prices can't drop, no one can refi, but for now people can just get free money to cover their default. What happens when that runs out

60k, but yeah

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Actionjackson did the math and iirc in the 80s when mortgage rates were 11% median home price was like 2.5x median salary. Now it’s like 4x …. ? I dunno

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

This but it's open pit mining with pickaxes instead.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lil poopendorfer posted:

Actionjackson did the math and iirc in the 80s when mortgage rates were 11% median home price was like 2.5x median salary. Now it’s like 4x …. ? I dunno

yeah, I think it was around 2x in the 1980s, now it's more like 5-6x

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
gently caress me the only financially lucky break I've ever got was putting down 20% on a 15 year at 1.875% in 2011. Years of getting hosed until my reproductive partner had a grandparent from the Korean War die.

We can do better.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mycomancy posted:

gently caress me the only financially lucky break I've ever got was putting down 20% on a 15 year at 1.875% in 2011. Years of getting hosed until my reproductive partner had a grandparent from the Korean War die.

We can do better.

nah its mostly just luck, chance and hella nepotism

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Mirthless posted:

Can y'all imagine the results if we had moonshot resources to throw at fusion power?

That's right: a faked fusion reaction on a sound stage

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Xaris posted:

also those are all ai written lol

I assure you, this is what the Toronto suburbs are like.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Tell your lib friends & family to stop donating to PP.

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1642925644475699200
https://twitter.com/seiumn/status/1642915016218165250
https://twitter.com/sarahljaffe/status/1642961685362409472

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mycomancy posted:

We can do better.

Being able and actually buying in 2011 is the best financial move you'll ever make in your lifetime. Congrats

I bet if you figured out the value of your payments vs winning the lottery now and buying the same place outright, it'd be like half a million lottery or more

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I thought number had a bad day because our favorite big boy Trump got indicted but this makes more sense I guess

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lmao

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

planned parenthood would probably not exist if healthcare was made free so a ton of salaries for really upper crust people depend entirely on having a broken insurance system that doesnt pay for reproductive healthcare

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
gonna be awkward picketing there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

anime was right posted:

planned parenthood would probably not exist if healthcare was made free so a ton of salaries for really upper crust people depend entirely on having a broken insurance system that doesnt pay for reproductive healthcare

that's basically all non profits.