Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Mylan posted:

Either mind powers are the ultimate force in the Star Trek universe, or they're living in a simulated reality.

Please don't pull the Star Ocean 3 twist in Star Trek, I will flip this table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Yeah I don't personally buy the simulated reality theory myself, but it does kinda fit. I could see Q not as an avatar for an outside entity, but rather more like an NPC who realized the nature of the universe and got access to the source code. They can manipulate their own realty as they please, but can't access the outer, true reality without outside help. Like if Skynet existed on a single PC in a locked room with no internet access, it's free to rage against humans all it wants but powerless to do anything on it's own.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In Star Trek: For Children, does the main character have some sort of future skateboard

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

zoux posted:

In Star Trek: For Children, does the main character have some sort of future skateboard

No, he has a growing understanding of the ideals that starfleet is supposed to represent.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Delsaber posted:

Please don't pull the Star Ocean 3 twist in Star Trek, I will flip this table

I remember liking that game. Then again, I smoked a ton of weed in college so my memory of it might not be perfect.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
So I’m watching Wrath of Khan yesterday, and when he says, ”Let them eat static,” I thought, is there any — say, 18-year-old — that would understand the reference to static?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

bull3964 posted:

I mean, brainwaves are a measurable, electrical, phenomenon. So, I don't really find any cognitive dissonance in that. Sure, it's a leap to say some other species is able to not only defect those waves at a distance AND interpret a completely alien mind, but we don't have to look at it as magic.

You can come up with anything you want, really. Because take it from someone so enamored with Star Trek and other sci-fi that they took it upon themselves to actually learn deeply how it all works - Star Trek is not science. We will never have transporters, we cannot travel faster than the speed of light, and you can't travel through wormholes.

So you might as well just do what makes for the best stories, and justify it with space magic, because that's what it is. And that's fine, because it does indeed make for some great stories. And let's be honest, tons of BIJ as well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
This is some good Star Trek poo poo posting

https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1160186486219771904?t=LaXi2MtHhDyyPW9Qjt7pjw&s=19

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
If we're being honest, it's mostly BIJ

yes. we are ugly bags of mostly BIJ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mllaneza posted:

Twenty four Federation member species right here,

This is what peak performance looks like

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Because they're bigots fam. They think "solids" are inferior life forms and so when they have to be in some humanoid shape they prefer to be in one that doesn't look like the others.

It also serves to drive the point home to Odo, with no subtlety whatsoever, that they are his true people and the solids will never be, no matter how he tries to fit in.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mylan posted:

There seems to be a running theme in TNG that the mind is more closely related to time and space than we realize. The first time the Traveler shows up, he takes them to a part of the universe where everyone's thoughts start to manifest themselves into reality. Then later when Beverly is trapped in the warp bubble the Traveler explains to Wesley that his calculations arent the impprtant part, they just help him focus his power. The real kicker is in "All Good Things" when Q's whole lesson to Picard was to get him to briefly realize the paradox and in that moment his mind was open to new possibilities and that THAT was the real final frontier. This is coming from a God like being who can alter reality on a whim.

Either mind powers are the ultimate force in the Star Trek universe, or they're living in a simulated reality.

It was a really, really popular idea back in the day that psychic powers were just around the corner and there was some kind of infinite potential in the mind. I guess it was also part of how there was a lot more hopefulness in general over the infinite potential of what the near future would hold that has since bottomed out.

I think the idea died out (or at least greatly reduced in prominence) from a combination of the public losing attention and from the fact that so much of the former interest was driven by a number of fraudulent sources that have since been disgraced and debunked.

So there's a lot of awkwardness about old IPs from back in the day that invested big into psychic powers and have to figure out what to do with them in the present day. It's a lot harder with X-Men. Star Trek can much more easily just...choose not to deal with the weirder aspects of Vulcans. Nobody's gonna make them write in plots about mind melds and Vulcan souls if they don't want to. Everybody seems perfectly willing to forget about Sybok and everything else from The Final Frontier.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

thotsky posted:

Was there ever a joke or something in DS9 about a Vedek checking the Pagh of a Ferengi?

Walk with the profits.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is what peak performance looks like

He does okay and means well.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

zoux posted:

He sure does act and talk like he does a lot of the time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zoux posted:

That's more of a star wars rebels thing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Pegasus was good. "I made you, Will Riker, and I can break you just as easily!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sash! posted:

Also I dare you to say anything on TV other than "pinkskin."

Shran: "You pinkskins are all the same!'

Travis: :stare:

Lincoln posted:

So I’m watching Wrath of Khan yesterday, and when he says, ”Let them eat static,” I thought, is there any — say, 18-year-old — that would understand the reference to static?

It works on a meta level too, since presumably any of Khan's 20th century followers would get it, but since they are all dead and his current gang are their kids raised on Ceti Alpha V, the people who hear him wouldn't get the reference, and neither would Kirk or any of the 23rd century folks.

In fact, living with Khan would be confusing as hell, as he would just be constantly spewing 70s-90s pop culture references and ancient literary allusions and the kids would have zero clue what he was talking about. If Harve Bennett's Khan series gets off the ground maybe they will explore this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astroman posted:

If Harve Bennett's Khan series gets off the ground maybe they will explore this.

I, uh, have some bad news about Harve Bennett.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I want to see some future hybrid race where all the Trek aliens came together as one species with a massive crenellated forehead, gigantic coralesque ears, a nose like a folded towel, and some kind of hellish pink-blue-green vitiligo

Not exactly that but I did like in Enterprise when they asked Daniels if he was Human was like 'uhhh, mostly'.

mllaneza posted:

Twenty four Federation member species right here,

JANEWAY: "Is he genetically engineered? Yes. Was he enhanced in every way? Look at him. Of course not."

Harsh but true, Kathy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 5, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Astroman posted:

Shran: "You pinkskins are all the same!'

Travis: :stare:

Enterprise writer's room: Sorry, who?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lincoln posted:

Static still exists and is a factor in any kind of radio telecommunication. Maybe a lot of kids these days wouldn't necessarily be exposed to broadcast television or radio but they still exist and some people will be exposed to them instead of solely experiencing internet content distribution.

Walkie-talkies and CB radio also exist, and there's a lot of places that use them. Most relevant is in schoolbusses.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was a really, really popular idea back in the day that psychic powers were just around the corner and there was some kind of infinite potential in the mind. I guess it was also part of how there was a lot more hopefulness in general over the infinite potential of what the near future would hold that has since bottomed out.

I think the idea died out (or at least greatly reduced in prominence) from a combination of the public losing attention and from the fact that so much of the former interest was driven by a number of fraudulent sources that have since been disgraced and debunked.

So there's a lot of awkwardness about old IPs from back in the day that invested big into psychic powers and have to figure out what to do with them in the present day. It's a lot harder with X-Men. Star Trek can much more easily just...choose not to deal with the weirder aspects of Vulcans. Nobody's gonna make them write in plots about mind melds and Vulcan souls if they don't want to. Everybody seems perfectly willing to forget about Sybok and everything else from The Final Frontier.

An excellent, well-written point, punctuated at the very end by a hilariously wrong example. :allears:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Enterprise writer's room: Sorry, who?

“Ah, gently caress it just make him die via a console explosion in the first 15 seconds of the episode.”

Twilight is a good episode, but goddamn was that a hilarious cop out for not having to write in Travis. Lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lincoln posted:

More concerning, do today's youth not get Steely Dan's "FM"?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

HD DAD posted:

“Ah, gently caress it just make him die via a console explosion in the first 15 seconds of the episode.”

Twilight is a good episode, but goddamn was that a hilarious cop out for not having to write in Travis. Lol

And not even remark on it! Watching that ep, I was like "Wait, was that Travis?"

There's a part of me that wants to say Anthony Montgomery was the weakest link of the main cast of ENT, but was that because he was, or because he was never given a chance? :iiam:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No he was truly a terrible actor, probably the worst main cast member in any trek in terms of acting ability

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

An excellent, well-written point, punctuated at the very end by a hilariously wrong example. :allears:

What, did Sybok come back in Picard to turn some water into wine?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wrong show.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

You'd have explore strange new worlds to find him. Go boldly.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

No he was truly a terrible actor, probably the worst main cast member in any trek in terms of acting ability

He was underused from the beginning, but you can tell they cut his material way further back after his one leading episode with his space boomer family. It was high school theatre production bad, and the guest stars were just running circles around him.

Any further Travis material usually involved him being greased up and shirtless with minimal lines. Or dead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

He was underused from the beginning, but you can tell they cut his material way further back after his one leading episode with his space boomer family. It was high school theatre production bad, and the guest stars were just running circles around him.

Any further Travis material usually involved him being greased up and shirtless with minimal lines. Or dead.
And yet they kill off Trip later and not him. Or Reed.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
So my conspiracy theory about that is that Archer's supposed to be this Important Historical Figure, but Trip's cooler by every metric, so they killed Trip off to preserve Archer supremacy.

Personally I'm okay with the idea that Jonathan Archer, Important Historical Figure, was actually kind of a doofus nepo-baby, because that's how history frequently *is*, but Berman and Braga were not that smart.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Creating an Excel spreadsheet of every character death in TOS to see if they really do wear red shirts more often than not.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Oh wow Reboot. Drop a game cube over a planet and an entire civilisation will be destroyed if Picard can't win 3D chess against Moriarty.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Prurient Squid posted:

Creating an Excel spreadsheet of every character death in TOS to see if they really do wear red shirts more often than not.

Unsurprisingly, it's been done.

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/database/redshirt_deaths.htm

(If clicking directly through doesn't work, just copy-paste the address to a new tab. I think EAS is still blocking Something Awful as a referrer.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Not all redshirt deaths stick, though; Leslie and Galloway both came back (Galloway after being vaporised!). Unexplained resurrection isn't just for senior officers.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SlothfulCobra posted:

Everybody seems perfectly willing to forget about Sybok and everything else from The Final Frontier.

Strange New Worlds is an actually good show that you should consider watching!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If SNW follows the traditional path of Star Trek Series quality growth, Pike is gonna grow a beard in season 3 and it's going to be the best season of television in history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Strange New Worlds is an actually good show that you should consider watching!

It is very good, especially for a first season