Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.

also hotfries 4 captain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Considering selling my knife for the value of at least seven bike parts, afeared that the prices will suddenly plummet after this massive cs2-hype climb

One one hand I could sell my knife today and buy a new computer tomorrow, on the other hand I wouldn't be able to do sick knife tricks the next time I play cs, it's a tough choice

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

Considering selling my knife for the value of at least seven bike parts, afeared that the prices will suddenly plummet after this massive cs2-hype climb

One one hand I could sell my knife today and buy a new computer tomorrow, on the other hand I wouldn't be able to do sick knife tricks the next time I play cs, it's a tough choice

I sold my knife a couple of months ago, bought a Steam Deck that I then sold for hard cash.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Just sell a knife and download a new one from fpsbanana

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Kehveli posted:

Don't those only work on servers without VAC?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kehveli posted:

god i remember the days spending hours downloading map packs, every weapon skin, CT &T model skins, sound packs and what not.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

Suran37 posted:

Don't those only work on servers without VAC?

only cowards respect the vac barrier

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Sell your knife and buy a computer and a lovely knife.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Digital Jedi posted:

god i remember the days spending hours downloading map packs, every weapon skin, CT &T model skins, sound packs and what not.

Making sure blingedoutcars is preserved in the history books

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Where do I unload skins4cash that isn’t a fuckin’ scam?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I recently used dmarket, kinda a pain to get your identity verified and the withdrawal was a couple of days of sweating but easy to instant sell all my items and they paid out to PayPal after a couple days of waiting for it to process. All in all I would recommend them based on my experience.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

djfooboo posted:

You can just do what I did and buy a steam deck with steambucks and sell that irl.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

they dont sell steamdecks in aus which ruined my plan of doing that

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

they dont sell steamdecks in aus which ruined my plan of doing that

australia wins again!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Cached Money posted:

You can just do what I did and buy a steam deck with steambucks and sell that irl.

Hmm, I already have $200 steambucks in there…

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

don't go through dmarket. their identification process is way too invasive for how shady they are.

I've heard skinport is better but no clue.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Bohemian Nights posted:

You should hold on to it

Sincerely,
Guy who sold glock fade for $400

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

think of how many valorant skins that knife could buy you

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

using skinport to cash out now, hoping to get a new laptop from stickers and cases alone

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

djfooboo posted:

I sold my poo poo on Skinport. Took a couple days for it to get sent to my bank account. Bonus points for it being an actual business in Germany, so you have some protection if stuff goes south.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i set my payout to weekly so the deposit is more hype

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I played a mess of 1.6 and later CS:S competitively many many years ago. Did a few leagues, etc. Recently I installed CS:GO and got rekt by bots but I'm slowly getting to be less bad. I need to tweak a few things on my machine for performance and switch out to siq gaming rodent and digits from my programmer RSI weird keyboard and trackball setup but I think I might try to play some public games soon.

How bad of a time am I gonna have? Are the public servers just full of nothing but pros and hackers given the age of the game? I also saw that ESEA is still a thing. Is it the cesspool it once was?

EDIT - I'm also thinking about a steam deck. How's it run on one of them fancy future computers?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

knuthgrush posted:

I played a mess of 1.6 and later CS:S competitively many many years ago. Did a few leagues, etc. Recently I installed CS:GO and got rekt by bots but I'm slowly getting to be less bad. I need to tweak a few things on my machine for performance and switch out to siq gaming rodent and digits from my programmer RSI weird keyboard and trackball setup but I think I might try to play some public games soon.

How bad of a time am I gonna have? Are the public servers just full of nothing but pros and hackers given the age of the game? I also saw that ESEA is still a thing. Is it the cesspool it once was?

EDIT - I'm also thinking about a steam deck. How's it run on one of them fancy future computers?

there are no public servers, it's all matchmaking elo hell unless you do esea or faceit elo hell. runs weirdly bad because it's very processor heavy, I can't imagine steam deck will do very well with it.

hacking is mostly contained, and once you get a prime account matchmaking is generally balanced, but you should play with goons in the private server whenever possible.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Famethrowa posted:

there are no public servers,

what? this is extremely wrong

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Famethrowa posted:

there are no public servers, it's all matchmaking elo hell unless you do esea or faceit elo hell. runs weirdly bad because it's very processor heavy, I can't imagine steam deck will do very well with it.

hacking is mostly contained, and once you get a prime account matchmaking is generally balanced, but you should play with goons in the private server whenever possible.

Thanks for the info. I'm still fumbling my way around all the details. I assumed prime was just some skin subscription program or something before looking into it because the game wants me to throw :fivecbux: at "soundtracks" and things like that.

How does the balancing work? Is it tracking your KDR? They seem to want to sell me a stats dashboard of somekind, too. There's a lot of new money eating garbage in the interface. I don't care about looks, I just wanna click on bad guys with my deagle.

I also only just figured out how to be able to buy silenced weapons. I've got a lot to learn but once I'm in a match, the game feels a lot like how I remember CS:S and many of the maps were still in muscle memory.

I'm doing pretty fairly against "hard" bots and I'll bump them to expert soon while I wait on a keyboard and mouse to come in.

I probably need to adjust some graphics settings because I do get the occasional fraction of a second stutter when all the bots are in one place. My computer is relatively beefy but it's set up for programming/homelab stuff. Lots of VMs and containers with kind of an anemic GPU. That's mostly why I asked about the steam deck.

It's been really nostalgic and fun playing CS again. I quit playing around the time that CS Pro Mod came out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The game is VERY cpu bound, I was running it on a 1070 for a long time and got 120fps.

Stop playing against bots it's going to give you bad habits, go do casual (also will give you bad habits) or bomb your first 10 ranked matches and enjoy low silver though that will come with its' own bad habits!

MF_James fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 17, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

knuthgrush posted:

I play exclusively on Steam Deck..

..hooked upto a 1080p monitor with a mouse and keyboard plugged in, of course. I'm not a maniac. It's kinda fun to see CS:GO running on Steam Deck as a handheld game but obviously nobody in their right mind would want to play that way.

Game plays completely fine/well on the hardware though. I don't actively monitor my frames but it seems to be a locked 60 and nothing about the performance ever indicates to me there are any issues. I generally play casual and I'm not particularly great at this game, but I hold my own on this setup.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm fairly convinced that even expert bots are dumbed down compared to Condition Zero's bots but either way they're still not going to move and shoot like real human opponents. I don't think you can play unranked if you can't queue for ranked yet, but unranked 5v5 is probably the closest to the 'real thing' in terms of learning purposes. Casual isn't good for actually learning the game since the player numbers and economy are way different.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

MF_James posted:

Stop playing against bots it's going to give you bad habits, go do casual (also will give you bad habits) or bomb your first 10 ranked matches and enjoy low silver though that will come with its' own bad habits!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Forgot to mention, play goonmans on sub.io and learn the worst habits

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

MF_James posted:

Forgot to mention, play goonmans on sub.io and learn the worst habits

This is the most fun way to not suck. Also a way to make matchmaking friends.

Solo queueing is hell, and doubly so in the low ranks. It's the game's biggest issue that nothing will be done about because we've all survived the hazing.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I've only been playing with bots because I'm using a kinesis advantage keyboard and a kensington trackball mouse. Trying to play humans with that would be laughable.

Really appreciate all the info, y'all. Gonna be fun to jump back in.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

knuthgrush posted:

I've only been playing with bots because I'm using a kinesis advantage keyboard and a kensington trackball mouse. Trying to play humans with that would be laughable.

Really appreciate all the info, y'all. Gonna be fun to jump back in.

a few years ago a buddy and I were playing some good 'ol cs_office in a public server and noticed that one of the players would only move or aim at any one time, never simultaneously. we asked him wtf and he told us he lost his arm in iraq and genuinely could only do one at a time. he wasn't even even in the worst players on the server

all i'm saying is if a dude with literally only one arm can handle pubbie servers then so can you

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

knuthgrush posted:

Oh there are definitely worse ways to play, even using regular gear

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Bohemian Nights posted:

:wtc:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

PIZZA.BAT posted:

a few years ago a buddy and I were playing some good 'ol cs_office in a public server and noticed that one of the players would only move or aim at any one time, never simultaneously. we asked him wtf and he told us he lost his arm in iraq and genuinely could only do one at a time. he wasn't even even in the worst players on the server

all i'm saying is if a dude with literally only one arm can handle pubbie servers then so can you

He should install a walk-bot

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bohemian Nights posted:

There's a pro that does this poo poo and also has inverted aim.

Edit: oh this is his.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I just noticed the vent keybinding, too. I haven't done any online gaming in years. Is that still a thing? I figured discord had eaten the world by now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

what? this is extremely wrong

I mean, yeah, there are a handful of public servers in some timezones, but good luck on finding one that is populated. I didn't think "matchmaking has eaten the lunch of public lobbies" is a controversial statement. a 1.6 or CSS player had a totally different experience to what is in CSGO.

e. I'm not including retakes or DM if thats what you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Push El Burrito posted:

There's a pro that does this poo poo and also has inverted aim.

Edit: oh this is his.

Correct, FetalDave is the ex-pro in sub.io