Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Stormclaw Rager seems a Bit Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

At uncommon that's a goddamn Christmas Miracle.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOVXcDUcR1M

Limited Level-Ups
Rating the Morbid/Macabre bonus sheet
Not as much of a format-changer compared to the previous two weeks.
(left to right)

Tier 1: big bomby creatures that have some incidental effects and don't really need work to set up.
Tier 2: solid players that work in the decks that want the effect.
Tier 3: requires specific synergies to be any good (note for Traitorous Blood: white actually has more good sac outlets than black this set)
Tier 4: basically unplayable

Edit: lmao i immediately die to Seance, common LLU fail

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 5, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm surprised it doesn't say "only once per turn"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d2befc3fedf3443b819b6c3a52b6700b

4-3'd this draft, didn't post it beforehand because I didn't think there was anything worthwhile about it, but going to 4 seems like overperforming lol.

I first picked Tireless Tracker and kind of warped my picks and got squeezed -- I didn't get more good clue payoffs and I couldn't find enough humans so the creatures seemed anemic. Turns out that Tireless Tracker can hard carry lol, and the two Grapple with the Pasts were actually super efficient in digging and turning on delirium. I probably could have eked out another win or two but I got too antsy and aggressive when I probably could have stalled for time, especially on the third loss...

21-17. 55.26%

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.17lands.com/draft/baabe240a95e4f75a48bc9524064d841

My misplays have moved into the draft phase as I was debating between Always Watching and Thraben Inspector and ended up running out of time lol, the auto pick was Sigardian Priest so it wasn't a complete waste but that was pretty demoralizing!

I still need to make one cut... Is Sage of Ancient Lore worth splashing here, I kinda have the fixing for it but its stats are not great?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

thespaceinvader posted:

Rakdos anvil decks are going to get really goddamn scary.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Sage of Ancient Lore seems only playable if you have lots of clues or other card advantage. At base case it looks to me something like a 2/2 for 5 that punishes you for playing spells but I haven't seen it in play tbh.

Edit: I suppose it draws you a card so it isn't completely bad? Still not splash worthy.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Playing vampires in the Block event, lots of fun.
But, in the first 2 games I managed to draw 7 copies of Voldaren Estate and a total of 3 other lands. Baffling.
What is even more baffling is how I managed to win against a burn deck with only painlands.
This is the first turn where I could cast non-vampire spells, even:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
sage is good if you can flip it reliably, so have instants/flash/abilities to spend mana on (clues also help here giving something to do). I'm not sure that deck has quite enough to make a splash worth it though.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/baabe240a95e4f75a48bc9524064d841

My misplays have moved into the draft phase as I was debating between Always Watching and Thraben Inspector and ended up running out of time lol, the auto pick was Sigardian Priest so it wasn't a complete waste but that was pretty demoralizing!

I still need to make one cut... Is Sage of Ancient Lore worth splashing here, I kinda have the fixing for it but its stats are not great?

play grace instead of censor, you have a decent number of flyers and spirit token makers, you can easily get in a position where you kill someone through the air with trumpet blast.

Actually just cut sage instead, it's not nearly good enough to be worth splashing.

Algid fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 5, 2023

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hammer Bro. posted:

I filled out the Wizards survey and I can confidently say Not For Me.

I also mentioned forums.somethingawful.com more than once.

And it turns out the last Zendikar set I played in paper was like 2010 or something.

Be old with me, fellow goons.

I'm old and I love alchemy. I really enjoy being able to play themed decks. Much more fun to play a deck of ninjas or Pirates or dinosaurs as opposed to "tempo switch control deck" or whatever.

On a related note excited to see that the upcoming batch of cards appears to include a some strong frog cards. Nice to see that Wizards is finally listening to the community that wants to play frog themed decks. When we lost wizard frog and big frog in the last few changes it got pretty hard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Seldom Posts posted:

I'm old and I love alchemy. I really enjoy being able to play themed decks. Much more fun to play a deck of ninjas or Pirates or dinosaurs as opposed to "tempo switch control deck" or whatever.

are those decks actually more viable in alchemy (which afaik is a higher power format than regular standard)?

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Is there such a thing as too many 1 drops in a draft deck?

I have this pretty decent BW deck, but I dunno if I'm skewing too low on the curve? But all the 1 drops are great! Do I maybe replace gossipmonger?

Also is the 3/3 for 3 can be cast from exile any good? A recursive threat seems pretty good even if there are a few tap a dude cards that stop it in its tracks.

Any other obvious cards that I should maybe replace if I have better?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

are those decks actually more viable in alchemy (which afaik is a higher power format than regular standard)?

Feels like it to me? I usually steadily progress up to low diamond with my theme deck, and then I make a decision if I want to switch to a more meta deck to keep climbing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I have this pretty decent BW deck, but I dunno if I'm skewing too low on the curve? But all the 1 drops are great! Do I maybe replace gossipmonger?

Also is the 3/3 for 3 can be cast from exile any good? A recursive threat seems pretty good even if there are a few tap a dude cards that stop it in its tracks.

There is such a thing as too many one drops and you are not close to it, especially since all of them are fine to draw late. I haven't been impressed by the 3/3 eldrazi but it isn't like it's unplayable. Gavony Unhallowed is your weakest card by far, maybe replace if you have something better, but they're playable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Your 1 drops are better than 80% of the cards in your deck.

Show us the sideboard so we can actually see what cards can be brought in, rather than making us guess.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Lone Goat posted:

Your 1 drops are better than 80% of the cards in your deck.

Show us the sideboard so we can actually see what cards can be brought in, rather than making us guess.

Yeah sorry lmao, out the house and the mobile app makes it awkward to screenshot the sideboard. Here's my relevant cards. After opening sorin and then getting doomed traveller, thraben inspector and an anguished unmaking I forced BW maybe a bit too hard. With all the token generation I have I was really hoping for some sort of decent sac outlet or the 3B 'gain 1 ping 1' vampire but I never saw one

White
3x Strength of Arms
1x Devilthorn Fox
1x Borrowed Grace
2x Dawn Gryff
1x Apothocary Geist

Black
1x Ghoulcallers Apprentice
1x Graf Rats
1x Gisas Bidding
1x Weirded Vampire
1x Midnight Scavengers
1x Certain Death
1x Abundant Maw

Uncoloured
1x CryptoLith fragment
1x Harvest Hand
1x Epitaph Golem

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Midweek game is great this week, restricting the pool to just Innistrad cards. Amusing that it seems like hardly anyone is making a deck for this temp format, opting instead to run the precon werewolf deck with some tweaks.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Making these kinds of MWMs not all access is pretty dang greedy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The Midweek game is great this week, restricting the pool to just Innistrad cards. Amusing that it seems like hardly anyone is making a deck for this temp format, opting instead to run the precon werewolf deck with some tweaks.

I made a monowhite deck with all of the soldiers and aggro type cards I had in my collection. Won most of my games with it, kinda of like a janky standard monowhite aggro. Farmhand and Brutal Catcher MVPs

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I was on selesnya humans with the two Sigardas as the top end and played against mono-B zombies 3 times. I guess it was thematic

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

house of the dad posted:

Making these kinds of MWMs not all access is pretty dang greedy.

I sympathize in that if you opened up this many gamer options, it would probably take longer than 10 seconds to match up a game. Still, agree it'd be nice if they did what ever other game-based MMO does and just did a 'you can host a game and it shows up in a queue' kind of thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

Everything is viable everywhere. When dungeons were in standard I made mythic with an Abzan dungeon deck.

Magic players are terrified of ever playing an off meta deck but if you play an off meta deck a lot you are still gonna win about as much as your skill level would imply

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
idk how that works out statistically, but idk how bad the dungeon deck was.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

precision posted:

Everything is viable everywhere. When dungeons were in standard I made mythic with an Abzan dungeon deck.

Waiting for a game to start must have been horrible if you kept having to wait for someone else to queue up with another Abzan dungeon deck

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I have to say I really appreciate that Wizards will put out a new card type four weeks after releasing Emrakul into the game. I absolutely look forward to my 5 mana 13/13 flample, pro instants, steal an opponent's turn card. Secret Emrakul in Hbrawl has been a lot of fun - and I've even lost three times after resolving Emrakul because the op stuck it out and knew I couldn't really do any damage when I hijacked their turn. Lots of concessions though.

Just for reference: secret Emrakul is Crucias as a commander with a deck whose curve tops out at 4. I stole it from CGB and tinkered a bit, it's been fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

idk how that works out statistically, but idk how bad the dungeon deck was.

Well, it was just one example. It's not about me anyway, it's about stop telling people they "can't" play what they want in ranked

Like yeah meta decks have a higher winrate but you as an individual will only do like maybe 1% better with a meta deck vs without one

As much as I like to complain I don't actually lose more than normal

I dunno it just really feels like people just assume they can't play whatever they want without actually trying it, and I'm saying that I actually do it. I have a historic deck that's based around Outlaws Merriment lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A good player with a weird deck will win almost as much as a good player with a good deck. You should play the deck you enjoy, and with practice, it'll become the best deck for you.

I'm having so much fun with my Oracle of the Alpha/Tainted Pact deck. I have to jump through some hoops, but when it goes right, I'm playing a Vintage deck while my opponent is still playing Historic. I replaced one land with Hall of Storm Giants, because that's a win condition when I'm looping Time Walk enough.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chamale posted:

A good player with a weird deck will win almost as much as a good player with a good deck. You should play the deck you enjoy, and with practice, it'll become the best deck for you.

Yep that's exactly what I'm sayin

Also if more people played off meta decks then it would become less necessary to play meta decks, it's a feedback loop and we all win (:

Fake edit; okay, half of us win

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I sympathize in that if you opened up this many gamer options, it would probably take longer than 10 seconds to match up a game. Still, agree it'd be nice if they did what ever other game-based MMO does and just did a 'you can host a game and it shows up in a queue' kind of thing.

"All access" here means that you don't need to have the cards in your collection to play with them, not that it's a permanent queue

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My Explorer Barbarian Class+Delina clone deck is jank and my opponent can see it coming from a mile away. I do not care. With enough good D20 rolls their removal means nothing as I cram the board with a legion of 5/2s with menace.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I got suspended for a week for winning two games with the Ninja's Kunai bug, so they are cracking down on it. I wonder if people who used it more than that are getting longer suspensions.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chamale posted:

I got suspended for a week for winning two games with the Ninja's Kunai bug, so they are cracking down on it. I wonder if people who used it more than that are getting longer suspensions.

Arena announced the longest suspension they're giving out for abuse of the Kunai bug is 3 months. Sounds like some people abused it severely in ranked or events.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why are the cosmetic bundles so random? I feel like I'd definitely buy some if they were actually relevant to any particular deck. They know what decks people are playing in decks and could bundle them together instead of 10 random cards nobody plays.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Why are the cosmetic bundles so random? I feel like I'd definitely buy some if they were actually relevant to any particular deck. They know what decks people are playing in decks and could bundle them together instead of 10 random cards nobody plays.

They want whales to spend $10 for the single cosmetic they actually want

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
My guess is they ALSO want you to go "oh wow who knows when the next time this might come up will be" whenever there's something you even KIND of want in the cosmetics deals.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

reignonyourparade posted:

My guess is they ALSO want you to go "oh wow who knows when the next time this might come up will be" whenever there's something you even KIND of want in the cosmetics deals.

Yeah it triggers my FOMO a bit, because I dont have any cool basics; they did those foil Theros Constellation lands like once and then never again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ah, makes sense. Just doesn't work on me, whereas a bundle of cards I already play I'd waste the money to get. The money they're leaving on the table ain't much but it's there if they want to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah it triggers my FOMO a bit, because I dont have any cool basics; they did those foil Theros Constellation lands like once and then never again.

You'd think that they'd be putting a lot of cool basics back up, now that you can set favourite basics.