Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I work for a large Midwest electric utility. We use a piece of software to request any electric equipment out of service for just about any reason. Everything from EHV transmission equipment down to backyard distribution equipment.

Everyone was notified Monday that a major update was coming through Tuesday (yesterday) and that training would follow. Okay, kinda dumb, but if you do the training ahead of time, everyone forgets it and you have to rerun it anyway.

So I get in this morning and I have a routine rejected request that needs some updates. Except most of the ticket is locked down and I can’t update the fields I need to. I can’t find any updates in the new training documents as to why this is, so I reach out to the support people listed to see if this is intended, or if the update nuked my permissions.

I come to find out that one of the changes is the old “clone” command got changed to make a locked down copy of a request, and a new “copy” command was introduced that allows for free editing of the copied request. The powers that be thought that the software change would only affect newly cloned requests, and leave the old cloned requests alone. But guess what, all cloned requests are now locked down, no matter when they were created. And this system has been around for over 20 years, so most people just clone an old request and update to what they actually need.

I would say 20-40% of requests need some sort of updating before running, so this is really bad. So bad, I am surprised it took a full day for someone to ask about it. But there are storms running through the area, so people are probably not looking at planned work right now. Just reacting to emergencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lol, my company is trying to gently caress me on my leave request for my newborn by denying me bonding leave.

I'm about to get paid.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Orvin posted:

I work for a large Midwest electric utility. We use a piece of software to request any electric equipment out of service for just about any reason. Everything from EHV transmission equipment down to backyard distribution equipment.

Everyone was notified Monday that a major update was coming through Tuesday (yesterday) and that training would follow. Okay, kinda dumb, but if you do the training ahead of time, everyone forgets it and you have to rerun it anyway.

So I get in this morning and I have a routine rejected request that needs some updates. Except most of the ticket is locked down and I can’t update the fields I need to. I can’t find any updates in the new training documents as to why this is, so I reach out to the support people listed to see if this is intended, or if the update nuked my permissions.

I come to find out that one of the changes is the old “clone” command got changed to make a locked down copy of a request, and a new “copy” command was introduced that allows for free editing of the copied request. The powers that be thought that the software change would only affect newly cloned requests, and leave the old cloned requests alone. But guess what, all cloned requests are now locked down, no matter when they were created. And this system has been around for over 20 years, so most people just clone an old request and update to what they actually need.

I would say 20-40% of requests need some sort of updating before running, so this is really bad. So bad, I am surprised it took a full day for someone to ask about it. But there are storms running through the area, so people are probably not looking at planned work right now. Just reacting to emergencies.

You gotta love it. This software is used by a large group of people that need to do their jobs. Should we ask them how they use the software? Or just make a big change and expect everyone to hop on board?

I'm sure the devs will be happy to tell you that you're doing it wrong and should be happy that you're forced to go through a process that five times as long to get anything done. I'm sure they're very proud of their new copy command.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lol, my company is trying to gently caress me on my leave request for my newborn by denying me bonding leave.

I'm about to get paid.

Denying FMLA leave or some other state or company policy paid leave?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

DeeplyConcerned posted:

You gotta love it. This software is used by a large group of people that need to do their jobs. Should we ask them how they use the software? Or just make a big change and expect everyone to hop on board?

I'm sure the devs will be happy to tell you that you're doing it wrong and should be happy that you're forced to go through a process that five times as long to get anything done. I'm sure they're very proud of their new copy command.

Further email exchanges have resulted in the team needing a day to figure out what to do. I am 90% sure I still have super user rights from an old position, and if a super user can’t make changes, that may be too big of a problem not to walk back, at least temporarily.

And I am sure to anyone who works in a large company, you will be shocked to find out that this is not the first time the company has rolled major software with critical flaws like this. At least one time previously, the rollout got pulled back after like a month and it took another 18 months for the new software to be rolled out again. That one took the combined might of union physical labor safety and nuclear generation to pull back.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Speaking of superusers. When our Google system was set up noone really knew what they were doing, and someone just made themselves the seed super admin because why not.

Seven years later I wouldn't let them use their email anymore because if it's compromised someone could really gently caress us up. Finally, finally google allows the removal of seed super admin rights so they can have their email back.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Salami Surgeon posted:

Boomer coworker came by for a chat. Great topics today. The Irish had it worse than slaves in the US. Also there were black slaveowners too.
Can't wait for my next trip with him.

This is a stupid thing going around the net at the moment. Snopes has a good debunking of it, but it’s essentially trying to claim that indentured servitude is exactly the same as slavery, ignoring the limited time of indenture, the fact that indentured servants were not property, nor were any children they had, and the general less shittyness of the arrangements.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Someone rolled up on us to ask if we have forks. Because "I don't want to go all the way downstairs." This is IT. We are not your one-stop placticware supplier.

My only regret was not asking if they had a ticket out in.

Also we have a ton of forks. For us. These are ours.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

Someone rolled up on us to ask if we have forks. Because "I don't want to go all the way downstairs." This is IT. We are not your one-stop placticware supplier.

My only regret was not asking if they had a ticket out in.

Also we have a ton of forks. For us. These are ours.

Don't tell him about the 3D printing farm printing sporks next to the servers

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We have a whole drawer of just plastic forks and knives that the people in the cafeteria just give us.

I rummaged through a completely different, empty drawer before saying no.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Can y'all stop talking about how gross the bathrooms are in great detail right next to my desk while I'm eating lunch please?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I brought my Drake posted:

Can y'all stop talking about how gross the bathrooms are in great detail right next to my desk while I'm eating lunch please?

Are we talking grime on the floors dirty, or poo poo on the rim, pubes on top of the urinal, zit juice on the mirrors dirty?

You gonna finish that?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Domus posted:

This is a stupid thing going around the net at the moment. Snopes has a good debunking of it, but it’s essentially trying to claim that indentured servitude is exactly the same as slavery, ignoring the limited time of indenture, the fact that indentured servants were not property, nor were any children they had, and the general less shittyness of the arrangements.

It’s not “at the moment”, it is a time honored way to try to dismiss slavery of black people as not that bad, right up there with the whole routine of the slaves being happy and not wanting to be free

The only time it gets weird to me and isn’t obviously just racist shitfucks trying to handwave away slavery is when you get someone who is really, really, really into their irish ancestry and believes that poo poo because they want to feel oppressed too

Had a friend who was like that, she did the step dancing and was miss saint patrick’s day parade queen and stuff, and would full throatedly go in on how hard the Irish had it

Of course, toward the end of our friendship, she started going into the “why do black people get so much sympathy for it, we suffered too” track, so i guess she was just becoming radicalized too

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Have you asked them 'how are you, today, as someone of Irish heritage, disenfranchised or otherwise mistreated by society?'

Guessing the answer is full of poo poo.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Has anyone suggested abandoning him in an outer suburb shopping mall yet?

But that's how you get the dreaded mall walkers!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

Have you asked them 'how are you, today, as someone of Irish heritage, disenfranchised or otherwise mistreated by society?'

At the time, she was “dealing poorly with her emotionally abusive mother”

I have no idea what she is up to these days

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

rotinaj posted:

It’s not “at the moment”, it is a time honored way to try to dismiss slavery of black people as not that bad, right up there with the whole routine of the slaves being happy and not wanting to be free

The only time it gets weird to me and isn’t obviously just racist shitfucks trying to handwave away slavery is when you get someone who is really, really, really into their irish ancestry and believes that poo poo because they want to feel oppressed too

Had a friend who was like that, she did the step dancing and was miss saint patrick’s day parade queen and stuff, and would full throatedly go in on how hard the Irish had it

Of course, toward the end of our friendship, she started going into the “why do black people get so much sympathy for it, we suffered too” track, so i guess she was just becoming radicalized too

Yeah, it's not new. It's kind of how I was taught American history from elementary school. And probably how my teachers were taught when they were in elementary school. Never really calling indentured servitude outright slavery, but heavily implying that in order to dismiss slavery as bad but also claim some oppression for yourself.

Good to know it's another thing we're saying the quiet part out loud on.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

rotinaj posted:

I feel that implying someone is only aware of + upset about their peoples' historic suffering, as a cover for being radicalised into being racist about black people in America, is a deeply cynical, unpleasant thought to hold in your head.

Why are you upset about the famine, Siobhan, when you can buy all the potatoes you want in Aldi these days hmmm? Thought so :smug:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

spincube posted:

I feel that implying someone is only aware of + upset about their peoples' historic suffering, as a cover for being radicalised into being racist about black people in America, is a deeply cynical, unpleasant thought to hold in your head.

Why are you upset about the famine, Siobhan, when you can buy all the potatoes you want in Aldi these days hmmm? Thought so :smug:

:munch:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Has anyone dealt with EOS before? I just started a new job last Monday, and they gave me this book today.

It very much insists it is not just "another management thing" and is actually useful, and is now saying that employees should be going out of their way to help the company be better at adhering to EOS principles.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
End Of Service?

Employees On Strike?

Elimination Of Sales?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Yep, just left a shop trying to wrap its head around EOS. Like most management/structure philosophies the general ideas are good but there’s a lot of Kool Aid and a lot of people drinking.

You can expect your team meetings to get a bit more organized, the org chart to change (in description, not practice), and there to be a big focus on having the “right person” in the “right seat.”

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

SerthVarnee posted:

End Of Service?

Employees On Strike?

Elimination Of Sales?

Entrepreneurial Operating System

"Imagine if your meetings began and ended on time. What about a company where people don't make excuses and unproductive people can't hide, so they leave?"

Machai fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 5, 2023

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Machai posted:

Entrepreneurial Operating System

"Imagine if your meetings began and ended on time. What about a company where people don't make excuses and unproductive people can't hide, so they leave?"

So, a pipedream that'll never come true?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sometimes I like being unproductive and hiding so gently caress that philosophy from the outset

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So, a pipedream that'll never come true?

No no no, the system cannot fail, it can only BE failed. Pay us for another round of implementation seminars to get people on board!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Sometimes I like being unproductive and hiding so gently caress that philosophy from the outset

Please leave

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Shan’t

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Oh, I thought it was going to be that boss lady from Red Faction.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

FreshFeesh posted:

Yep, just left a shop trying to wrap its head around EOS. Like most management/structure philosophies the general ideas are good but there’s a lot of Kool Aid and a lot of people drinking.

You can expect your team meetings to get a bit more organized, the org chart to change (in description, not practice), and there to be a big focus on having the “right person” in the “right seat.

This does not require a management/structure philosophy. It just requires competent people working in good faith.

A generally competent person with a rudimentary understanding of project management as a concept will be able to do this without any real training.
A generally incompetent person will be incapable of doing this no matter how much training you give them.

In short, throw all project managers into a volcano and return to the trees my simian friends.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Salami Surgeon posted:

Boomer coworker came by for a chat. Great topics today. The Irish had it worse than slaves in the US. Also there were black slaveowners too.
Can't wait for my next trip with him.

Yeah, back when people WANTED to work :mad:

e:

rotinaj posted:

right up there with the whole routine of the slaves being happy and not wanting to be free

Salami Surgeon posted:

Yeah, it's not new. It's kind of how I was taught American history from elementary school. And probably how my teachers were taught when they were in elementary school.

Early-ish 80s in Texas an elementary school teacher told us this :(

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 6, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

Well, a lot of them live in Boston as a result, so that's sort of a generational punishment.

Takes No Damage posted:

Early-ish 80s in Texas an elementary school teacher told us this :(

Early 2020s Florida appears to want a word.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

History Comes Inside! posted:

Hey there hiding buddy!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dumb poo poo I do at work: I take the stairs in the morning (even before the pandemic, I hated being in an elevator full of people), but sometimes - such as today - I'm so stuck on autopilot, I blow right past the third floor where I work and end up on the top floor.

"Why are my legs so heavy? Why am I breathing so hard?" Is a strange first conscious thought to have in the morning.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Dumb poo poo I do at work: I take the stairs in the morning (even before the pandemic, I hated being in an elevator full of people), but sometimes - such as today - I'm so stuck on autopilot, I blow right past the third floor where I work and end up on the top floor.

"Why are my legs so heavy? Why am I breathing so hard?" Is a strange first conscious thought to have in the morning.

Are you me? What the gently caress

Also, multiple times now I've left my motorcycle helmet by my desk and only noticed when I had already started the bike. Great, walk back across the parking lot and up 3 stories in my gear.
It's me, I'm the sweaty dumb at work

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Are you me? What the gently caress

Also, multiple times now I've left my motorcycle helmet by my desk and only noticed when I had already started the bike. Great, walk back across the parking lot and up 3 stories in my gear.
It's me, I'm the sweaty dumb at work

No, but sometimes I'll try to start my car only realize my keys are still in my pocket

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
My boss was so rude and hostile to me just before I finished up for the day, that now I can't sleep and I am job hunting at 4am on a public holiday lol

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

No, but sometimes I'll try to start my car only realize my keys are still in my pocket

Better than getting all the way out to the parking garage before noticing your keys are still in your desk :negative:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
During winter I usually walk to work. Realizing you left your lunch in the fridge and it's a 30 min walk in -30C weather suuuucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

This diagram is being used to illustrate that all departments should be able to communicate with all other departments.