Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I also picked up the game and having a good time so far, played 'til level 14 or so and just reached the "surface". Been playing Sentinel and want to make him a void knight, seems enough different from your basic genre archetypes. So far I've mostly been spinning the mobs to death and occasionally exploding little guys with my shield. I assume later on I get a bit more abilities to use in combat, though.

Was gonna ask if I should even pick up loot since a lot of it pays like crap and very rarely seems good, but the same topic was kinda discussed in the few earlier posts. I kinda gather that at this point it doesn't really matter much anyway, but I've been trying to stack melee damage and heal on hits which seem like useful.

Any "Wish I knew that before I started tips" for this point in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah loot right now will be mostly junk so don't feel like you're doing something wrong if you have super low level gear for what feels like too long as long as you're still able to complete content without dying a bunch. Check out the Heavy'z Loot Filters and grab the one for your class to cut back on the amount of chaff you see. These won't be perfect but are good at highlighting important drops and getting you in the habit of seeing why they're important and are easy to add to/adjust later once you get an idea of what you're looking for.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Any one running this on a SteamDeck? If so, how's it working out?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Playing a minion-heavy Necro with a bunch of uniques that do a bunch of things. Just got all my passives and idol slots, mid-40's.

Gold is still hard-ish to come by, but I've been picking up shattering runes. I got one of these filters:

explosivo posted:

Yeah loot right now will be mostly junk so don't feel like you're doing something wrong if you have super low level gear for what feels like too long as long as you're still able to complete content without dying a bunch. Check out the Heavy'z Loot Filters and grab the one for your class to cut back on the amount of chaff you see. These won't be perfect but are good at highlighting important drops and getting you in the habit of seeing why they're important and are easy to add to/adjust later once you get an idea of what you're looking for.

And it's giving me a ton of red "Tier 4 for shattering" items, more than I'd be able to sustainably shatter, I think. Should I be aggressively shattering them? Most of the affixes don't seem all that useful to me, but I've been hoarding them just in case.

Now that I'm getting close-ish to monos, figured I should check in.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Clockwerk posted:

I am playing a Sentinel -> Void Knight who spins2win. Probably not the strongest class but I’ve enjoyed it

Sentinel hammer thrower is always good for a laugh.

I've also got a forge guard that specializes in rive, forge strike, and lunge. Rive has a talent that causes kills to spawn sword minions, on top of the skill that doubles the damage gain from 2h weapons. I've got a legendary 2h mace that causes slain enemies to explode into skeleton minions. Between that and the rive minion talent, I can lunge into a group, forge strike, and rive until enemies explode into multiple pets.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CubicalSucrose posted:

And it's giving me a ton of red "Tier 4 for shattering" items, more than I'd be able to sustainably shatter, I think. Should I be aggressively shattering them? Most of the affixes don't seem all that useful to me, but I've been hoarding them just in case.

Eh probably not, I have a couple stash tabs full of things to shatter that I'll never reasonably work through. You could always adjust the rules a bit to make it happen less since this is basically configured to make anything beneficial to the class at all show up highlighted but your build likely only needs a small portion of those possible options. If you are following a guide for your build there may also be a loot filter specific to that build that you can grab too which might be worth switching over if you're getting close to endgame.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

TeaJay posted:

You can teleport to any waypoint via your minimap, not just at at other waypoints.

Passive talents and idol slots unlock with sidequests, but you do not have to do all of them. They're listed on your minimap.

Buy Runes of Shattering when you have the gold, they're useful later.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.

mcvey posted:

Any one running this on a SteamDeck? If so, how's it working out?

I've got probably 15ish hours in on the Steam Deck and it's definitely playable, though the controls could use some work in a few places and I think I'm running on low settings. There are a couple of major graphical bugs (like the char select screen being jacked up) but nothing that's actually game-breaking from what I've found so far. I tend to play simpler builds like spin2win void knight or multishot rogue since I usually play KB/M on PC and haven't experimented much with a build that requires minion targeting or something like that. Spinning through some monos laying in bed before going to sleep is pretty sick!

In that note, it'd be cool if there were an easy way to sync my loot filters between PC and SD - is there an easy way to do this with Steam or a 3rd party program?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

TeaJay posted:

I wish I had started crafting stuff earlier. That and shattering (or at least banking) random crap I picked up with rare modifiers on them to accumulate crafting shards.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Yeah the shatter rule on that filter is really generous compared to how many runes you get, and as you run higher level content basically everything will start passing it. I would absolutely dump some of the stuff you've been keeping ( items dropped from the stash/your inventory are checked against the filter too, so it's easy enough to just edit your filter to be narrower, dump your stash on the ground, then pick up whatever passes the new filter).

Don't be tempted to vendor it, the amounts you get are very not worth it above like level 40 compared to spending the time running a monolith.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Thanks all, will start littering later tonight.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I haven't been using auto generated loot filters. Instead I did some light research and have set up a basic template that I duplicate and customizer for each character (not that I have too many characters yet).

Stuff it does:

Show/Highlight any items with a handful of "I really want these" affixes for various reasons (hybrid health and some other rare affixes for melting down, flame ward charges, certain very rare/special idol affixes that enable builds I've looked into)
Show/Highlight any items with a handful of enabling affixes for various builds I'm playing/interested in
Show any Idols with both affixes I consider good/useful
Show all Unique/Exalt/Set items
Hide all Idols
Hide all items of the classes I'm not currently playing
A set of filters that Show/Highlight any items with affixes of a bunch of affixes that I desire for the current character where the item has multiple of them in various total amount of tiers
(EG: items with four desirable affixes of at least tier 1-2). I adjust and increase the strictness of these as I go through the campaign

And then some Filters that get turned off/on during the campaign at various points that are designed just towards getting some basic gear:

Show/Highlight any items with at least two of the same affixes in the filter above
Show/Highlight any items with Void/Necro/Phys resist (common early game damage types).
Show movement speed boots
Hide all Rare Items
Hide all Normal/Magic Items

I'm a newb, so there is probably better ways to do this, but this seemed sensible to me after reading some guides on loot filters and tweaking it a bit.

Also, even since I realized the game actually marks Uniques on the map, I wish that was an option for the loot filter. "Display on Map"

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I tried the hands of judgment one punch build posted earlier. I don't know why the dude said in his video it's not fun to play before you get cooldown items. I switched from warpath to judgement in chapter 4 and it was fun grouping poo poo up and bopping it in one hit. I maxed other stuff before pious offering in the skill tree to manage mana before I got reversal and the damage output is still good enough that I haven't respec'ed yet after getting more than halfway through normal monoliths. It's a fun change of pace from my lightning javelin triggered smite build and it's really satisfying. The javelin build still clears faster, but the Majasa fight was hilarious by comparison.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Decided to roll a sorcerer, and using Glacier at the moment, and it hits like a truck, but it's a slow playstyle (it's just for leveling). Died horribly at level 15. Earliest in this game I've ever ripped.... lol.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah going through the campaign I do pretty well, but invariably kick the bucket to some ice monster bs in those first divine age areas.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It’s always the first pack of drat void Clerics for me. I forget they have a big nuke and splatter once.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I was playing Acolyte offline, a friend just bought the game and wants to play online, so I created an online Mage.

Can you really not use teleport in towns? The Acolyte can transplant around town just fine, why the difference?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ojetor posted:

I was playing Acolyte offline, a friend just bought the game and wants to play online, so I created an online Mage.

Can you really not use teleport in towns? The Acolyte can transplant around town just fine, why the difference?

No, it's a bit of a bummer. I can always tell when I zone into a new town because I keep mashing teleport and nothing happens.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ojetor posted:

You can't Transplant with the Acolyte online either. They turned off all spells and abilities to prevent people from harassing people by spamming them, I guess? Since the plan is to eventually make towns places where other random players appear.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Clarste posted:

You can't Transplant with the Acolyte online either. They turned off all spells and abilities to prevent people from harassing people by spamming them, I guess? Since the plan is to eventually make towns places where other random players appear.

Makes sense. Less strain and clutter. I don't mind, especially as a necromancer who spends enough time surrounded by her undead fan club as is.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Clarste posted:

OIC. I guess that makes some sense but I wish they'd made the exception for traversal skills.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Wish there was a better alt system. Got my acolyte to 95 and kinda wanna try other classes but don't wanna do all the front loaded stuff I've already done to get back to end game :(

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Draynar posted:

Wish there was a better alt system. Got my acolyte to 95 and kinda wanna try other classes but don't wanna do all the front loaded stuff I've already done to get back to end game :(

One thing I've found is that a lot of those low level uniques are all about trivializing early game content. Like, that amulet that gives the periodic insane crit boost, or the hammer with the level scaling melee bonus, or the ring that gives like 800 minion armor and a speed boost and a chance to summon a target dummy when you're hit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

As someone who has started a few alts trying out different things it’s a lot more tolerable at least making another character here than going through Acts 1-10 of PoE yet again. But maybe it just hasn’t gotten as old yet.

Technically you can start “mapping” the moment you get to the End of Time, though that will be tough without a strong build given you’ll be around level ~25ish.

If you go to the earliest point where you get the cap of quest reward idol slot and passive points you’ll be around level 40 and just ignore the rest of the plot to start doing the Monoliths with likely much more success.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So the way I’m hearing this game described in this thread makes it sound like it’s pretty easy and flexible to go from build idea to execution. That sounds awesome to me. However I’m just a console person atm so I’m wondering if there’s been any word of the possibility of a console release post 1.0?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
From the studio director on discord:

Also, these two recent reddit posts from him are probably the most information about future content plans and endgame stuff that the devs have revealed:

post 1

quote:

Love to hear it! Yes, we already have lots of additions to the end game planned. We know we need things like - random events - very challenging static boss content - more incentives when you level past 100 - more axis of progression when you reach end-game - more item types that are not main-slot items

We still have plenty of polish to get into the core game experience, the remaining masteries, item factions (trade systems | bazaar) and then we have some awesome things planned for further end-game expansion.

post 2

quote:

We have a lot planned for the Monolith and end-game systems. 1.0 is just kickoff for the game and then we plan to add additional content every 3-4 months for years - much of it will be expanding the end-game. We actually have the first two LARGE monolith expansions already planned!

gnoma fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 8, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Anyone got a suggestion for a minion-based build where I, the player, am still actively participating/attacking myself? I looked into a few necromancer styles and most seem to involve just summoning a bunch of minions and then standing around while they wreck poo poo, maybe casting a buff on them occasionally or spawning in suicide zombies.

Are Beastmasters better for this? I haven't looked into the Primalist much at all.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone got a suggestion for a minion-based build where I, the player, am still actively participating/attacking myself? I looked into a few necromancer styles and most seem to involve just summoning a bunch of minions and then standing around while they wreck poo poo, maybe casting a buff on them occasionally or spawning in suicide zombies.

Are Beastmasters better for this? I haven't looked into the Primalist much at all.

Beastmasters are likely going to be stacking minion stats so most of their damage will come from that, but there's also synergies with their other attack skills to buff the minions.

Minion stats are wholly split off from others. The only stat boost to your damage that will also apply to minions are your base attributes, and non of your minion stats apply to your attacks. That creates a weird itemization issue where if you want to do a minion build, you're kind of incentivized to go all in. There are a few affixes on idols/head/chest that provide shared damage or other stat boosts, but they're uncommon. It's kind of the one big complaint I have about the game, but I also don't have a good solution that wouldn't bust existing balance wide open.

If you wanted to stick with necro and try to be more active yourself, there's some nodes in rip blood and transplant that provide minion buffs when used. My necro build is pretty active for me as the player because my skeleton warriors are always exploding and require resummoning, so that just becomes my basic attack. Summon skeletons in face to have them be exploded by other skeletons.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
Summon volatile zombie also scales off of minion stat increases and lets you stay pretty active by casting off waves of bombers constantly, and you can pre-cast a full stack for a boatload of damage on a boss right off the bat; it's also one of the necro's cull skills so it's always nice to have in your back pocket

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone got a suggestion for a minion-based build where I, the player, am still actively participating/attacking myself?

Beastmasters don't really get meaningful attacks to use if they build around one of their companions, but they get a broader set of support abilities than necro. An example would be this Sabertooth Build that keeps up frenzy totem, warcry, and maelstrom and uses swipe on a 2s cooldown to trigger the sabertooth's flurry swipe ability.

You can build around your own attacks and have a companion following you around for buffs, see any summon spriggan build. This is an older swipe build that uses a wolf for howl and to keep up aspect of the lynx for crit damage. Storm crows fit into primalist ward builds with their intelligence buff and goodberries, but ward builds are kind of inferior to just building health and playing druid. Companions in these setups feel like more of a liability than dynamic pieces of your build though as they tend to die easily.

Hungering souls lich wants to keep 3 minions out to meet a condition on one of its big damage nodes, but it will just be 3 measly skeletons that you don't even spec into. Forge guard can use multistrike as a way to summon its forged weapons, but I think channeling warpath works better and is just you spinning around and spitting out sword minions periodically.

All of the minion subclasses have a build where you summon a single minion and spam a skill on them that makes them do more damage. Necro - Bone Shatter Golem, Forge Guard - Shield Throw + Manifest Armor, Beastmaster - Thorn Shield + Bear, Shaman - Upheaval + Storm Totem.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

bobtheconqueror posted:

If you wanted to stick with necro and try to be more active yourself, there's some nodes in rip blood and transplant that provide minion buffs when used. My necro build is pretty active for me as the player because my skeleton warriors are always exploding and require resummoning, so that just becomes my basic attack. Summon skeletons in face to have them be exploded by other skeletons.

I use Wraiths that deteriorate pretty fast, but summoning six of them out at a time wrecks house. Especially after I picked the chance to summon a fireball throwing ghost instead. The playstyle is fun and active because I'm pretty much a glass cannon by proxy.

This game has one of the best feeling necromancers. Similar to Grim Dawns, which is great. I haven't even tried any other class yet, but I got to say, for a late beta the game delivers something impressive.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
After playing necro for a while I decided to try the least necromancery thing and play some shadow cascade bladedancer and it feels really good. With most of your damage coming from procs off your movement skill you can get into a great flow under the right conditions.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

After playing necro for a while I decided to try the least necromancery thing and play some shadow cascade bladedancer and it feels really good. With most of your damage coming from procs off your movement skill you can get into a great flow under the right conditions.

Yeah this is one of my favorite builds. I specifically went into thrown damage so it's just shadows, daggers, and shadow daggers all day.

Edit: A little finnicky on the defensive side since they rely on dodge more than other classes, but still fun and zoomy.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

bobtheconqueror posted:

Yeah this is one of my favorite builds. I specifically went into thrown damage so it's just shadows, daggers, and shadow daggers all day.

Edit: A little finnicky on the defensive side since they rely on dodge more than other classes, but still fun and zoomy.

Yeah I think I’m gonna have some problems with the high hp monolith bosses in late game but I’m ok with that since this is one of the best feeling light armor melee builds I’ve tried in an arpg

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I started a druid and it's absurd how much really good defense they get. Increases to endurance, endurance threshold, and crit strike avoidance based on Attunement, and a few good health nodes. Then you add on the spriggan minion and bear form and you basically don't have to invest in endurance or crit avoidance at all in your items.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hit monolith's at level 45 with my static orb sorcerer... first time I've ever skipped the storyline, and holy hell does this build ramp up hard about that level.

I swept the first monolith twice to open up the 62 and 66 without any problem at all. Then I did some respeccing to switch from the orbiting orbs to direct fire, and Focus instead of Manastrike... and honestly, I might enjoy the orbiting/mana-strike "leveling" build more. It's a very in-your-face playstyle for a glass canon where I have to smack stuff in the face with Manatrike to recover mana instead of trying to kill stuff from a distance and channeling Focus for mana.

I am curious for anyone else that's playing Static Orb sorc - have you had any issues with the spell firing like it's "static" instead of Static orb? Just a small burst of lightning nearby instead of throwing out the orbs like it should? I've had it happen a few times now, both before and after the respec, and it's pretty annoying. I can still clear the monolith using a combination of that for garbage and Lightning Blast for anytime I'm not completely swarmed, but it's a lot slower. Sometimes Teleport fixes it, but sometimes it doesn't. It's never carried over from one Monolith to the next one.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Locator posted:

I am curious for anyone else that's playing Static Orb sorc - have you had any issues with the spell firing like it's "static" instead of Static orb?

Yes its a pain in the rear end and seems to trigger when you fire into elevated terrain (which can be hard to see in the first place). I switched back to the orbiting ones personally but it can get rough being that close to stuff later unless you build enough defense, like using the unique relic that lets you stack ward easily.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I picked my first character more or less at random and chose one that needed a build-defining unique that I obviously dont have. I'm plodding through and its fine, but I desperately need to farm 'set/unique wands/catalysts' from the stolen lance .
Can I do this before empowered monoliths, resetting regular monoliths somehow and getting it from that? Or do i need to power through another like 20 levels to get to empowered?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Set/Unique X echo rewards can spawn in both regular and empowered monoliths, so if you want to keep farming Stolen Lance to target that item you can just keep going after those echos there. Resetting the web using Shade of Orobyss fights might help but doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dallan Invictus posted:

Set/Unique X echo rewards can spawn in both regular and empowered monoliths, so if you want to keep farming Stolen Lance to target that item you can just keep going after those echos there. Resetting the web using Shade of Orobyss fights might help but doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary?

IME (which is obviously super limited) you only get one type of set/legendary type per like monolith instance I guess I'd call it? Like the first time I went in to the stolen lance I saw four "Unique or Set Staff or Sceptre" echos and no other unique types - was that just a coincidence?

anyway this game is fun, for anyone on the fence. It hits the sweet spot for me of being complex and interesting without having 30-odd leagues worth of inscrutable cruft hanging off it.