Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Based on the photo alone, she is neither.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
A rough 25 years for sure.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Mum red-faced after realising mistake in picture of 'ladybirds' visiting her home

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

"Visiting"

Ok gonna hop on the bedbug derail. Steam will kill them, the problem is finding the fuckers. They are incredibly small at the nymph stage and get deep into cracks and crevices. It's not as simple as just blasting them.

There are people on YouTube touting all manner of spray on toxins. They just move away from any sort of residual treatment including DTE.

They will find you. I had a couple nights reprieve sleeping in a chair, so they just moved to the chair.

Its a loving nightmare to treat them.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

One thing I've always found interesting is the old trope where a child would have their bed and there would be cans on the legs of the bed. Back in the day they used to put kerosene in the cans and make sure the kids were tucked in tight with nothing dangling on the carpet hence the saying "Sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite!". If bedbugs did show up they would have to go over the rim of the cans and then into the kerosene where they would die.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It was also a good way to burn your child to death.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
To be fair, bed bugs probably don't like barbecue.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've worked hospital jobs full of serious infectious disease and human matter of all sorts.

The one thing no one hosed around with was the risk of bed bug infestation.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I used to do municipal bylaw enforcement and a big part of that was requiring landlords to meet their obligations to tenants, big one being to remediate bedbugs. The most effective treatment I saw was these mobile vans you'd hire to come out that were basically ovens you'd put furniture in and you would cook or steam the hell out of them.
It was awful though, often vulnerable people wouldn't complain or really understand what was going on. You'd go into their apartments and beds would just be caked brown with blood. One time there were so many moving around on the bed I thought I had vertigo or something because the bed looked like it was fluid until I realized what was happening.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

When I was traveling all the time for work bedbugs were always a concern. I started packing a UV flashlight to inspect the hotel rooms before settling in.

Usually that just led to other unsettling discoveries.

Also:
https://twitter.com/AvrahamCooperMD/status/1643403684502552576?t=nyGdDr6LLMH5v--ybK6QvA&s=19

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

idgi

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That big tube in the neck ain't supposed to be there.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

McGavin posted:

That big tube in the neck ain't supposed to be there.

So they gonna like... take it out or is it just some poo poo that person has to live with?

EDIT: I'm dumb, aortic is artery related. So they should probably leave that thing in there I guess

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

You know all those times you've seen people talk about someone with their heart in their throat?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My guess is that it would depend on whether it's causing a problem or not, considering that loving around with it would be heart surgery.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
It's a congeital defect. The little arrows labeled 1 and 2 are where it should loop over and connect to itself.

It's supposed to look like this

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
When you cut that guy's throat you really don't have to try very hard

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
*pushes up sleeves* Why aorta

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wonder how visible it is from the surface

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

caspergers posted:

*pushes up sleeves* Why aorta

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I wonder how visible it is from the surface

The patient's neck started to go glub glub:

quote:

A healthy 23-year-old woman was referred for evaluation of a murmur and an increasingly pulsatile neck mass, first noted 2 years before presentation. Physical examination revealed a prominent pulsation in the right side of the neck, shown in a video, and an early diastolic murmur.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The patient's neck started to go glyub glnub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np6vAuS0KNs

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
In the guillotine era, this one would have been considered a strong spurter I guess

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

wanna see this in a giraffe

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

So I read the quote and still hit play. Of course phone was on max volume right in front of my wife and kids.
Holy poo poo, I didn't even realize it had sound--the video played automatically, but muted, like a GIF--and sent it to my mother. I only hope she didn't jump through the hoops to unmute it. (She replied "LOL!," so probably.)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

As part of my heart-valve surgery in 2012, they did (along with at least half-dozen other tests and procedures during one very long day at Temple U Hospital) a contrast MRI to see the lay of the land, so to speak.

Nothing gets your attention like hearing your heart surgeon on the other end of your phone saying, "We found an anomaly during your work-ups." I was somewhat concerned about what else all of this testing might uncover after 49-years of a life well-lived.

Turns out that my left descending aorta, doesn't. I have a mirror - it's a right-descending aorta! The entire surgical plan had to be swapped around.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PainterofCrap posted:

As part of my heart-valve surgery in 2012, they did (along with at least half-dozen other tests and procedures during one very long day at Temple U Hospital) a contrast MRI to see the lay of the land, so to speak.

Nothing gets your attention like hearing your heart surgeon on the other end of your phone saying, "We found an anomaly during your work-ups." I was somewhat concerned about what else all of this testing might uncover after 49-years of a life well-lived.

Turns out that my left descending aorta, doesn't. I have a mirror - it's a right-descending aorta! The entire surgical plan had to be swapped around.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation. Perhaps as a baby you accidentally stumbled into the fourth dimension for a moment, and when you came back here to the third, you were facing the wrong way around and so from then on you were a mirror image of yourself -- or, from your perspective, the universe was suddenly mirrored.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

PainterofCrap posted:

lThe entire surgical plan had to be swapped around.
The good news is, my colleague Dr Johnson is left handed, so we should have this all sorted out by lunch.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PainterofCrap posted:

This could really screw over a sniper mission or some kind of Bill the Butcher type who knows a lot about anatomy.

*aims squintily for a kill-shot and hits the fluffernutter organ instead*

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

When I was traveling all the time for work bedbugs were always a concern. I started packing a UV flashlight to inspect the hotel rooms before settling in.

Usually that just led to other unsettling discoveries.

Also:
https://twitter.com/AvrahamCooperMD/status/1643403684502552576?t=nyGdDr6LLMH5v--ybK6QvA&s=19

The video of this is wild. Imagine your aorta so confused that you could accidentally kill yourself by sleeping on your stomach the wrong way.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Wait a minute.... are you the one with the goatee?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MUUAAHAHAHA

(removes gloves)

Guess some content will be welcome.

One of my losses a few years back: drive-by hit the wrong house.

Insured was in the living room. No one was injured.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
gigeresque innards

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PainterofCrap posted:

Do you remember them as the Berenstein Bears?

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

PainterofCrap posted:

Mother fucker walked through a Mobius strip

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

I was seeing a doctor for high (like 179/95) blood pressure. He was looking at some test results on the computer and loudly exclaimed "oh nooo!".

He'd clicked on the wrong icon. I did scold him for it. Aeroplane pilots, doctors, nurses, fire control officers, barbers, nuclear technicians, train drivers, etc. do not get to say "oh no!" about trivial things.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 6, 2023

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

3D Megadoodoo posted:

He'd clicked on the wrong icon. I did scold him for it. Aeroplane pilots, doctors, nurses, fire control officers, barbers, nuclear technicians, train drivers, etc. do not get to say "oh no!" about trivial things.

Nurse 1 - "So this guy coded on the table, took ages to bring him back.
Nurse 2 - "Hmm, yeah. Oh, I heard a rep dropped off donuts in the break room."
Nurse 1 - "OH poo poo! Clear a path people! Emergency, MOVE!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nurse 1 - "So this guy coded on the table, took ages to bring him back.
Nurse 2 - "Hmm, yeah. Oh, I heard a rep dropped off donuts in the break room."
Nurse 1 - "OH poo poo! Clear a path people! Emergency, MOVE!"

Are you implying donuts are trivial? :toughguy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Mountain Dew should make a concerted effort to sell Code Red in hospitals, IMO.