Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

namesake posted:

What's popular with the public doesn't matter at all though.

It is enough for Westminster (and possibly DC at this point) to not want it to happen.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1643698899171827726?s=20

To be fair, this doesn't mean they won't come up with more evidence down the road.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Why bother arresting someone of that stature without enough evidence to charge them?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

SNP don't have a path to independence and it's unclear if they have had one since the 1st ref.

The only path is to get an English PM to agree to another referendum

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Communist Thoughts posted:

SNP don't have a path to independence and it's unclear if they have had one since the 1st ref.

The only path is to get an English PM to agree to another referendum

The issue if public opinion in Scotland swings hard enough it because a public order issue. They need to put the breaks on.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Zeroisanumber posted:

Why bother arresting someone of that stature without enough evidence to charge them?

So that it's public

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Zeroisanumber posted:

Headlines. Intimidation. You can get a lot of useful info with the accompanying search warrant.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ardennes posted:

The issue if public opinion in Scotland swings hard enough it because a public order issue. They need to put the breaks on.

I feel like they've learned some lessons since the last time this became an issue

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Theyr gonna have to start blowing up MPs like the IRA if they want to move that kind of dial towards independence. Nobody in Westminster cares otherwise and theyr the only ones with power to do it.

the current route will probably just lead to a reversal of devolution which is basically what we're seeing some of atm

E there seems to be this idea that eventually support will hit some kind of democracy threshold and trigger the referendum automatically

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Apr 5, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Only ineffective protest measures are legal. Talking about the effective ones will get you kidnapped in the middle of the night.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Communist Thoughts posted:

Theyr gonna have to start blowing up MPs like the IRA if they want to move that kind of dial towards independence. Nobody in Westminster cares otherwise and theyr the only ones with power to do it.

the current route will probably just lead to a reversal of devolution which is basically what we're seeing some of atm

E there seems to be this idea that eventually support will hit some kind of democracy threshold and trigger the referendum automatically

It isn't the spirit of democracy, but failing trust in institutions, also Scotland is a much larger prize than Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland always had a catholic middle class that was fairly soft on rejoining the south, while Scotland in 2023 is a bit more unpredictable.

For the US, having potentially a neutral nation on the GIUK is completely unacceptable. Scotland can be allowed to be independent, period.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Jose posted:

its been long enough since I was in school I can't remember if stuff was as clear as this though I don't think i even learned about the indonesian coup

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1640059426978648064?s=20

This is diseased

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Iraq has a ton of birth defects as a result of depleted uranium poisoning the soil

https://twitter.com/declassifiedUK/status/1643583219424436224?t=XL5qgsGdhYo_yW6q_V__5Q&s=19

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean, if scotland ever got to the point where they just declare independence then what are the english to do? send in their barely existent army that's sent off like half of its equipment to get blown up in ukraine?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cerebral Bore posted:

i mean, if scotland ever got to the point where they just declare independence then what are the english to do? send in their barely existent army that's sent off like half of its equipment to get blown up in ukraine?
call for the US to restore freedom.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Arrest the leaders and put them in jail like happened with Catalunya and their Universal Declaration of Independence. Like, what are the Nats going to do to stop them? Reckon Police Scotland don't have more than their share of yoons in their ranks?

Nobody outside of farmers have guns in Scotland, so I don't really see any well-armed militia out there to defend them, it's not like there's a Scottish version of the IRA, not since the 70s and even that was probably 50 people

forkboy84 has issued a correction as of 11:05 on Apr 6, 2023

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

An independent Scotland would be pretty screwed economically if it couldn't rejoin the EU, and it's generally assumed that Spain would veto them joining unless they became independent via a government-sanctioned referendum due to the whole Catalonia situation

e: also while the army may be useless at the whole war thing it's still pretty good at making occupied civilians' lives miserable plus the occasional massacre, see Ireland, Northern

Gato has issued a correction as of 11:14 on Apr 6, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

They gotta start shooting us or theyr not going anywhere

But theyr not gonna do that so in lieu of that the nats politicians will continue to go on telly every day and get big pensions instead

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Never been but my sense is that Scottish independence is like Quebec independence in that it's totally a political question and no one has been willing to shoot anyone over it since the 70's.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Never been but my sense is that Scottish independence is like Quebec independence in that it's totally a political question and no one has been willing to shoot anyone over it since the 70's.

There were a few headbangers 20-30 years ago who sent anthrax contaminated soil from a Scottish island to Tory HQ, & there was the Scottish Liberation Army who sent Cherie Blair a bottle of caustic soda labelled as face cream or something like that, but the last I heard was from '09 when one of their number sent threats with shotgun shells to a bunch of politicians, including Alex Salmond

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

forkboy84 posted:

There were a few headbangers 20-30 years ago who sent anthrax contaminated soil from a Scottish island to Tory HQ, & there was the Scottish Liberation Army who sent Cherie Blair a bottle of caustic soda labelled as face cream or something like that, but the last I heard was from '09 when one of their number sent threats with shotgun shells to a bunch of politicians, including Alex Salmond

They need to step up their game, in most places in the UK that's little more than the average clash with the neighbours over on-street parking

Cookie Cutter has issued a correction as of 13:36 on Apr 6, 2023

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, there's plenty of Scots who quite like the idea of being independent, but nobody's interested in becoming a glorious martyr for the Cause. I think even if Westminster took back the devolution powers and closed Holyrood, there'd be nothing past some noisy demos and angry Twitter posts.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, there's plenty of Scots who quite like the idea of being independent, but nobody's interested in becoming a glorious martyr for the Cause. I think even if Westminster took back the devolution powers and closed Holyrood, there'd be nothing past some noisy demos and angry Twitter posts.

This is generally my position, however I'm just another Englishman in Edinburgh and I like having friends so I don't put myself in positions where I have to die on that hill

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jess Phillips went on TV and said as well as trans people having their own toilets South Asian women should do

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Ardennes posted:

It isn't the spirit of democracy, but failing trust in institutions, also Scotland is a much larger prize than Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland always had a catholic middle class that was fairly soft on rejoining the south, while Scotland in 2023 is a bit more unpredictable.

For the US, having potentially a neutral nation on the GIUK is completely unacceptable. Scotland can be allowed to be independent, period.

The US security state apparatchik doesn't give a gently caress beyond HMNB Clyde.

The median US voter either doesn't give a gently caress at all or is 100%

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gato posted:

An independent Scotland would be pretty screwed economically if it couldn't rejoin the EU, and it's generally assumed that Spain would veto them joining unless they became independent via a government-sanctioned referendum due to the whole Catalonia situation

wow sounds like a perfect outcome for america

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It'd be pretty screwed either way, they do a lot more trade with the UK and the UK would be punitive and hostile and has much more weight to throw around, England is 10x larger and richer than scotland

I do think it's a no brainier to try to get out from under Westminster for any sane person though

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 14:07 on Apr 6, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I will fight the English one v one until Scotland is free.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

captainbananas posted:

The US security state apparatchik doesn't give a gently caress beyond HMNB Clyde.

The median US voter either doesn't give a gently caress at all or is 100%

Lossiemouth too

I mean do you think the US ever has cares about the people their decisions affect?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Lossiemouth too

I mean do you think the US ever has cares about the people their decisions affect?

I always just assume that Lossiemouth had been shuttered like all the other bases around these parts. But it was Kinloss that was turned into an army barracks, 10 miles east of Lossiemouth

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Arrest the leaders and put them in jail like happened with Catalunya and their Universal Declaration of Independence. Like, what are the Nats going to do to stop them? Reckon Police Scotland don't have more than their share of yoons in their ranks?

Nobody outside of farmers have guns in Scotland, so I don't really see any well-armed militia out there to defend them, it's not like there's a Scottish version of the IRA, not since the 70s and even that was probably 50 people

i think you're severely overestimating the size and effectiveness of the british army

hell, they have so few guys that even if they sent every single one of them to scotland they could maybe occupy edinburg and glasgow, or rather do some baghdad-style sitting in a fortified compound in the middle of town, which isn't exactly sustainable

Gato posted:

e: also while the army may be useless at the whole war thing it's still pretty good at making occupied civilians' lives miserable plus the occasional massacre, see Ireland, Northern

i think you're severely overestimating how much hardcore nationalists care about economic arguments

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

I seem to recall London has corporate control over and would be supported in claiming all the North Sea oil. That's probably Scotland's biggest bargaining chip to be part of a customs union or to maintain independence, without it they're just losing any representation in Westminster and having to deal with it.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Telluric Whistler posted:

I seem to recall London has corporate control over and would be supported in claiming all the North Sea oil. That's probably Scotland's biggest bargaining chip to be part of a customs union or to maintain independence, without it they're just losing any representation in Westminster and having to deal with it.

i'm p sure that the north sea oil will go to whichever side offers the yanks a sweeter deal

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

unless the Scottish are prepared for armed resistance then this would get shut down quickly

quite how the UK would function once two huge parts of it are at each others throats is another question but Scotland wouldn't actually be able to break away unfortunately

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's up to the UK PM and Kier definitely isn't ever going to do it and the tories arent likely to make that decision again.

Cameron was a loving idiot for giving a referendum in the first place but that was his whole thing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Labour SNP coalition in 2024 is going to be very funny

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Mind the North Sea oilfields are on their last legs at this point. This account Asianometry has a good video about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiP4zeTyLpc

Cookie Cutter has issued a correction as of 16:49 on Apr 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not sure labour should be running this line of attack

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1643973886311297028?t=i9pp1lUyrP3JYmLd7Nc3Bw&s=19