Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

is pepsi ok posted:

There was even a follow-up study done on this (published in Nature I think) which found no evidence that any of it influenced anyone or changed anyone's mind.

Not that you would need a study to show that Buff Bernie and anti-masturbation memes didn't influence an election, but still nice to have.

Even assuming it did, it is extremely ironic that Americans would get bigmad about election interference when we do it everywhere else all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Well of course the Olds have a better work ethics. Their brains has been marinated in capitalism propaganda for much longer than any other generations. Heck, I know some of them would gladly work for free if it means that the company can keep going

Yeah there were stories of seniors "volunteering" at fast food places during covid (which is over). Very depressing scene.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
https://youtu.be/bNvc9-HBFoU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Tomorrow's jobs report will be scorching.
https://twitter.com/SquawkStreet/status/1643992062751285251?t=fTgjOzz2B490KyNPnrGluQ&s=19

Excuse me?
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1643986097175941120?t=zfrV1L8E8bW-fM2FRkuFMg&s=19

never awake
Apr 4, 2023

by vyelkin

Azuth0667 posted:

It'd be awesome if we actually had local cobblers and tailors anymore :(.
yeah that would be awesome :unsmigghh:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah there were stories of seniors "volunteering" at fast food places during covid (which is over). Very depressing scene.

lol they literally would rather work for free than see their grandkids get a raise

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

people being so addicted to treats that they subject themselves to volunteering to work to keep treats going was the most depressing thing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Kids learning they can say "gently caress you" to lovely bosses and just stop showing up with no warning is the first win for labor in decades.

Gen Z are visionaries

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNvc9-HBFoU

you better BELIEVE it's been challenging!

e: beaten but theirs wasn't embedded

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pls bring back transitory inflation

Apr 7, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Kids learning they can say "gently caress you" to lovely bosses and just stop showing up with no warning is the first win for labor in decades.

Gen Z are visionaries

workers walked out of a Burger King here and the place ended up closing permanently because they couldn't find labor, and the news painted it as a sign of impending social collapse.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is more poor seniors even have less options than young people and they need to work to pay for their health care or they will die.

never awake
Apr 4, 2023

by vyelkin
work ethic rather than productivity

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ardennes posted:

It is more poor seniors even have less options than young people and they need to work to pay for their health care or they will die.

Yeah I have a coworker who wants to retire and has some serious health problems, but she has to keep working because she hasn't hit her 20 years yet

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol they literally would rather work for free than see their grandkids get a raise

I think you'll find their kids were gladly volunteering to heroically run the chick fil a as well

https://twitter.com/BenThe_Hen/status/1606151813941452800

never awake
Apr 4, 2023

by vyelkin

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNvc9-HBFoU

you better BELIEVE it's been challenging!

e: beaten but theirs wasn't embedded
$200 dollars later and this place still aint functional. loving work ethic

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Beached Whale posted:

I think you'll find their kids were gladly volunteering to heroically run the chick fil a as well

https://twitter.com/BenThe_Hen/status/1606151813941452800

Did some kids fall into the compactor? Sure, and that's a tragedy... but

Apr 7, 2003

Children are a renewable resource, you can always make more of them.

Apr 7, 2003

That's also why you shouldn't name your kids before they hit eighteen, if they fall into the thresher you'll be less attached to them.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol, and now we see shrike's reason for the poo poo-n-run.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah I have a coworker who wants to retire and has some serious health problems, but she has to keep working because she hasn't hit her 20 years yet

greedy geezer :argh:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

shrike reading his wsj over morning coffee: "Another story diverting from class differences by blaming imaginary generations? Don't mind if I do. :smug: "

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Willa Rogers posted:

shrike reading his wsj over morning coffee: "Another story diverting from class differences by blaming imaginary generations? Don't mind if I do. :smug: "

My father (73) got a job at Enterprise and immediately accepted a wage of 13$ a hour. He says that he doesn't have to worry since he's comfortable with the additional income from his SS.

He would also always complain about the younger folks who always try to ask the boss for $15 or higher :rolleyes: and then he would say that they're just lazy since they always quit after a few months.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Generations aren’t imaginary but the expectation there isn’t material commonality between segments of them is. Not all Boomers are rich, and not all Zoomers are poor (if you count family wealth, which you should).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Apr 6, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Generations aren’t imaginary but the expectation there isn’t material commonality between segments of them is. Not all Boomers are rich , and not all Zoomers are poor (if you count family wealth, which you should).

Opposed to the self made rich kids?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm being charitable and think shrike just posts stories they find interesting. I do hope they work up the courage to start talking about the stories or leave a comment about them.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Imagine how crazy Woodstock would have gotten if the boomers had been told that it was a work festival instead of a music festival!!!!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Opposed to the self made rich kids?

My point being that they are very rare if they even exist.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
three days of peace, love and hard labor

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

remember when they tried to redo Woodstock as a Brand Experience or whatever

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

KirbyKhan posted:

They out there stabbing tech bros

https://twitter.com/raphousetv2/status/1643602647054946304

They haven't found the stabber yet

I'm so sad, I could just pee.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tech bro stabbing probably has nothing to do with the thousands of layoffs I'm sure

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tech bro stabbing probably has nothing to do with the thousands of layoffs I'm sure

or being at the center of what is sure to be a massive fraud investigation

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
(although the actual funniest possibility is that the bombshell report collapsing the house of cars around this guy just happens to come out right before he randomly gets stabbed by 'a crazy guy')

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
healthy young tech executive steals money from rich people... STABBED! Many such cases!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

NeonPunk posted:

My father (73) got a job at Enterprise and immediately accepted a wage of 13$ a hour. He says that he doesn't have to worry since he's comfortable with the additional income from his SS.

He would also always complain about the younger folks who always try to ask the boss for $15 or higher :rolleyes: and then he would say that they're just lazy since they always quit after a few months.

your dad sounds like a real rear end in a top hat lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/status/1644006760687050754?s=20

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gen Z are visionaries

I have been having a hard time explaining to my retirement-age boss that he shouldn't scream at the new guy because the new guy will scream back at him and the dude is about a hair away from quitting and only sticking around on my empty promises that the old bastard is like 2 weeks from retirement.

Apr 7, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

Imagine how crazy Woodstock would have gotten if the boomers had been told that it was a work festival instead of a music festival!!!!

it was actually a brand-building festival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

They’re worried about the dollar