Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Hp died when they started cashing in their hard earned reputation, for big profits from their mass market consumer hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

VictualSquid posted:

Did someone misunderstand how to use a coffee pot?
Or am I missing a secret use mode?
Or do we finally have AI generated aliexpress listings?

That's for Turkish coffee.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anyone have experience with Alibaba? Trying to get some wholesale spice jars and the price looks crazy good but I've never dealt with them before.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

That's for Turkish coffee.

That's not how you use it to make Turkish coffee tho.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The guy at the Chinese copper* hammering factory probably doesn't care.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Literally A Person posted:

Anyone have experience with Alibaba? Trying to get some wholesale spice jars and the price looks crazy good but I've never dealt with them before.

It's much more difficult. Some things you can get for the price and some shipping, sometimes you have to get a pallet worth and wire money, not paypal or credit card. The rules are all over the place. If you're looking to buy a 1 dollar trinket I wouldn't bother. If you're looking to get a cheap machine it can be a pain because they expect you to handle freight and customs.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I know somebody brought one (just one) ebike on Alibaba, like 500 for the bike and 400 for the shipping.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alibaba is good for things you want a shipping container of.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I keep ordering things from ali express.

I don't need any of these things.

Send help.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Send help.

I believe you will find that the inmates run this asylum

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Send help.

The easiest way to stop yourself is posting pictures of the things here instead.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Send help.

?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Have you tried a restaurant supply store?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I have had a run of shorts made through a company in Pakistan by way of Alibaba. As the others said, it feels very sketchy but it's a place to go when you need a shipping container full of stuff.

Most blogs and videos will tell you to go with a verified seller with the trust guarantee thing. Unsurprisingly, nearly all trusted sellers are Chinese companies. I've heard it's difficult to get refunds even from those with the various badges.

Understand that the platform is going to be a crapshoot and you'll have little recourse if something goes wrong. Assume any money you spend there to be gone forever, possibly with no product in return.

I see it more as a chat app and place to find manufacturers rather than a broker. Almost all of the companies I talked to about making shorts all wanted me to pay them with western union, money order, or PayPal which completely skirts alipay. Probably for avoiding fees.

I spoke with several vendors in depth before deciding on one and having a sample run of ten pairs of shorts made and shipped to me. I paid with western union. And it took about a month from initial conversation to package on my doorstep. Language was a mild barrier but it wasn't too terrible.

You'll likely need to have some samples made, go back to the seller with adjustments, then rinse and repeat. You can negotiate prices with the seller. They rarely seem to use the prices listed on their storefront.

Also note that many sellers will show off your item as a "tip" (kind of a short video section on the site) to add to their portfolio of work. A lot of times they're happy to straight up copy your design for another customer. Several of the companies I talked to showed me other shorts they made and said they could do the exact same design if I wanted.

Overall it feels a little grimy. You need to talk to several sellers, see how you feel about them ethically, build a relationship, and iterate with them. It gave me a bit of existential stress the first time I started checking on sellers because there are definitely a lot of sweat shops.

Oh also the phone app sends you notifications like crazy for promotions, especially if it's during an event or holiday. Just be aware if you use that.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

StormDrain posted:

Have you tried a restaurant supply store?

Yeah, but my goal is to get under $1 a jar including shipping.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, but my goal is to get under $1 a jar including shipping.

How many do you need?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mobby_6kl posted:

How many do you need?

50-100 but if the price is right could probably deal with more.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Plastic or glass?

Edit: regardless, maybe look here https://www.thecarycompany.com/containers

Keep in mind that the jars and lids are separately purchased but even then you could prolly get under or around 1$/pc depending on what you get

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 6, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

It is a little too baggie, so I will be altering it to fit her. She doesn’t hate it, but the back legs keep slipping back over her paws.

This is her natural habitat, so I didn’t buy the stupid outfit just to make her look stupid. It’s just a bonus.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tarkus posted:

Plastic or glass?

Keep in mind that the jars and lids are separately purchased but even then you could prolly get under or around 1$/pc depending on what you get

Glass. Gonna check this out. Thanks.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

VictualSquid posted:

The easiest way to stop yourself is posting pictures of the things here instead.

Encouraging the other inmates isn’t such a bad pastime. I’m trying not to buy more crab stuff but…someone else will and I’ll miss out!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

50-100 but if the price is right could probably deal with more.
That's probably doable with alibaba. I've only requested an engineering sample kit from an Alibaba vendor once so I don't have much experience, but the main difference is that purchasing involves more negotiation on shipping terms and other details, unlike AE where you just click and wait (and pray), and potentially significant lead time and minimum quantities. Otherwise you want to look for the same signs like a long history, good ratings, many sales, etc.

I'd give it a shot though, for example: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...41ea8UvKUZQ&s=p

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Tarkus posted:

Plastic or glass?

Yeah I'd recommend a more local wholesaler for something like that. I'm a range planner for a big homewares brand and while we source a lot of our own-brand stuff from china, almost all our glassware comes from Portugal. Combination of price:quality and the survivability rate of shipping stuff across the planet made it a better deal for us, that's with us filling our own containers too, not entrusting a box of glass to the global shipping program. For the amount you'd be saving per jar it's not really worth the hassle imo.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

VictualSquid posted:

Did someone misunderstand how to use a coffee pot?
Or am I missing a secret use mode?
Or do we finally have AI generated aliexpress listings?

That's funny, I was looking for copper mugs a little while back and these exact same ones were being sold for use as beer mugs. Didn't wind up getting them, or anything from Ali for that matter, but funny.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Slightly ali related. Got the RG405m today, ordered from Anbernic aliexpress store.

https://i.imgur.com/tAK2x1X.mp4

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 6, 2023

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Bored posted:

It is a little too baggie, so I will be altering it to fit her. She doesn’t hate it, but the back legs keep slipping back over her paws.

This is her natural habitat, so I didn’t buy the stupid outfit just to make her look stupid. It’s just a bonus.

Dizi "loves" her new Ali pijamas:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cocaine Bear posted:

Dizi "loves" her new Ali pijamas:

The expression is actually the cat's pajamas

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Wild EEPROM posted:

Hp died when they started cashing in their hard earned reputation, for big profits from their mass market consumer hardware

I was in a massive warehouse of HP inkjet printers a few months back, the amount of waste to be created was astronomical. So many small, cheap inkjets. Bigger ones too, actually.

Oh and:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Slightly ali related. Got the RG405m today, ordered from Anbernic aliexpress store.

cool bananas

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

There are some fun shower curtains out there, depending on what you're into.

Bonus, unrelated shower curtain.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I know it's the Aliexpress thread, but Temu just had an opening sale in Australia. Buy Now! Massive discounts and free shipping!

A rather large package of stuff has arrived, including...

Men's Handmade Boots, Classic Stitching Ankle Boots, Outdoor Casual Zipper Shoes

I love these shoes. :glomp: Real rubber sole. Real leather and stitching. The sizing was perfect. So comfortable. I've only taken them off to sleep (I could probably sleep in them quite comfortably).

70% off I if I recall.

$26.48 AUD.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

What's the current state of aliexpress wireless earbuds and how much should i expect to pay for a halfway decent set? I'm not looking for audiophile quality, but also not hilariously tinny.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Crazy Achmed posted:

What's the current state of aliexpress wireless earbuds and how much should i expect to pay for a halfway decent set? I'm not looking for audiophile quality, but also not hilariously tinny.

If you are looking for just decent sound and pairing quality - my 13 year old hands down prefers the t6/t7 whatever they are knockoff AirPods for $3-7 over the name brand Lenovo $10-13 ones. We’ve gone through 3-4 of each kind. She leaves them at her moms and once that happens nothing is ever seen again.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
At the rate my 15 year old goes through earbuds, I should probably just order a shipping container of them from Alibaba. :negative:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Crazy Achmed posted:

If you plan to pay over 20, there is not much price difference between ali and Amazon prime.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

so far I've had fairly good experiences, though shipping consistently has taken longer than expected with almost everyone I've bought from.

I've also had people quote me absurdly high numbers on their prices (10-20x what other people charge) when messaging them about stuff, so shop around a bit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blue Moonlight posted:

At the rate my 15 year old goes through earbuds, I should probably just order a shipping container of them from Alibaba. :negative:

For mine it’s the lightning-to-3.5mm adapters.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have a drawer full of disposable mp3 players from when I installed the ali express app last year, and now I have 11 orders on the way. Random hats, Legos for some reason, a goddamn whistle? I have no idea why I bought a whistle.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

stephenthinkpad posted:

Out of curiosity how long does this take to boot up? I know my rpi with retropi takes a while, or do you just leave it in on when not in use like a tablet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

davebo posted:

Out of curiosity how long does this take to boot up? I know my rpi with retropi takes a while, or do you just leave it in on when not in use like a tablet?

First time, it took a few minutes to build the database from the sd card. I don't think it did it when I power circle it the 2nd time. I used chrome to search and download rom and rar app to upzip, all felt very fast to me. I just need to set up the front end since the Anbernic version is a bit janky. Yeah just set the screen time out setting on the regular android setting.

Also took me a hour to figured how to hold and used the d-pad (with my little finger holding the corner).

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 7, 2023