Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So I tried out that Everspace 2 thing people were talking about and I still don't understand the appeal of space combat games.
I don't even want to say they're bad, because I feel like I just don't get it, but it feels like they're all nothing but centering your screen on enemies and pressing the shoot button?

I tried playing a bunch of space combat games and they all feel that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah? They’re fun.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I don't get first person shooters they're just centering your screen on enemies and pressing the shoot button?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Steam Thread: they're all nothing but centering your screen on enemies and pressing the shoot button?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Squiggle posted:

I don't get first person shooters they're just centering your screen on enemies and pressing the shoot button?

I mean...fair point, I suppose, because the only FPS games I enjoy are the ones that aren't primarily about centering your screen on the enemy. :shrug:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jack Trades posted:

So I tried out that Everspace 2 thing people were talking about and I still don't understand the appeal of space combat games.
I don't even want to say they're bad, because I feel like I just don't get it, but it feels like they're all nothing but centering your screen on enemies and pressing the shoot button?

It's fine if you don't like them but this is a very funny post to me

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's literally no difference between FPS and Spot the Difference games, they're both about moving your mouse cursor over an object and clicking

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's fine, feel free to laugh because I'm clearly not understanding something here but like...even in the FPS games that are just about centering your screen on the enemy and pressing left mouse button you have
the environment, the weight of your character, if the game is particularly cool you have different movement options, unless you're playing Serious Sam then you gotta occasionally use cover at least, maybe switch weapons depending on the range to the enemy. Stuff like that.

Meanwhile, every space combat game I've played takes place in a space void where the only method of defense is space circle strafing like you're in a particularly empty Serious Sam map.
Your spaceship can't give your any feedback to it's movement because there's no environment.
I have never seen a space combat game with different movement options, it's all just the same 6DOF movement. Which makes circle strafing even easier.
Also in all of the space games I've played all the weapons feel the same and the enemies are so far away, moving so fast, that you're just watching small dots disappear.

I just don't get it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can apply the same reductionist logic to any genre:

Every FPS game I've ever played takes place on a flat 2d plane where the only method of defense is circle strafing while shooting or pressing the "hide behind cover" button
Your character can't give you any feedback on its movement because all you can do is move in 4 directions and jump while making a grunt sound
I've never seen a FPS with different movement options, it's all the same WASD + Jump, which makes circle strafing easier because it's the same method I've been using in all of them for 20+ years
Also in all the FPS games I've played the weapons all feel the same, they're just guns that shoot a projectile that's sometimes different colored. And I shoot the enemies before they get close so they only ever show up as small dots on my screen, they're dumb

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I mean, you do switch between at least 2 different primary weapons in everspace 2 that have different effective ranges and cooldown meters, and also use missiles and your 2 abilities bound to the 1 and 2 keys...

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm just poking fun at you, to be fair I didn't like Everspace much for too long because there's really not much else to it.

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's literally no difference between FPS and Spot the Difference games, they're both about moving your mouse cursor over an object and clicking

I start my day by plugging in my SNES Super Scope to play a few games of picross

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That sounds like a fun way to play Picross and now if I ever see a used super scope I'll be tempted to buy it :ohdear:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jack Trades posted:

My mind keeps reading Everspace 2 as Freespace 2 and it makes me sad every time that we'll probably never get a new Freespace game.

Dive! Dive! Dive! Hit your burners, pilot!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I have never seen a space combat game with different movement options,

CHORVS lets you blink around and strafe a bit! And go very fast, sometimes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Did Everspace 2 ever add decent mouse support? I bought it when EA started and tried playing with KB+M and the mouse controls were atrocious and unusable, but I hate using a controller for games where you have to aim so I played for 2 hours then quit and never looked back :( (Also partially because I bought it blind expecting another space roguelike like Everspace 1 and was supremely disappointed that this one was a linear narrative game)

I can't even remember what was so bad about it though. Mouse acceleration that couldn't be turned off maybe?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 6, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Would anyone here volunteer to sell me on Subnautica? I'm almost 6h in and pondering just calling it a day and uninstalling, which feels a bit mad considering I love underwater settings. Now, I didn't expect this to be the chill experience of Endless Ocean 1&2, but I have been taken aback at how much a modern survival game first and foremost. Food/Drink drain is ridiculous enough, but oxygen takes the cake. I only have the second kind of oxygen tanks, and that gives me 130s of breathing, 100s more with a second tank which I can carry and switch to. And effectively less since under 100m it drains faster (well I have a helmet to help with that, but if I switch to it I take radiation damage...). So so far, it has never been about taking in the surroundings and enjoying the atmosphere, it's always been racing against the clock. The worst was the first explorable wreck I found, which ended up being a stupid rush and mouselook as fast as possible to locate interactables rather than the slow/ominous exploration I'd have expected.

Please tell me I have missed something and I'll soon be able to get more than the minute and a half of oxygen I have to deal with right now. The gauge watching is really doing my head in, and if that's supposed to be the whole game, well, I'll have to accept it's just not for me.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
IIRC oxygen remains a relevant resource but you start driving around in mini subs and poo poo so it gets better

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kazil posted:

I don't remember the game being particularly problematic but it is extremely anime.

One of the main characters is a child sex bot that frequently talks about her silly Johns in a way that seems like it was written one-handed but maybe you just rolled that into “extremely anime”

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Wonder how Everspace 2 plays with a HOTAS. I have both the game and a stick, but I'm too lazy to set the stick up to try it out. :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can play on Freedom Mode to turn off the food and water requirements (though this requires restarting your save), and for what it's worth Below Zero has a "Custom Mode" that I believe lets you turn off oxygen too

Also for what it's worth trainers are extremely easy to use these days and don't require hunting down shady downloads on sketchy sites, so you could just use a trainer to give yourself unlimited oxygen :shrug:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Did Everspace 2 ever add decent mouse support? I bought it when EA started and tried playing with KB+M and the mouse controls were atrocious and unusable, but I hate using a controller for games where you have to aim so I played for 2 hours then quit and never looked back :( (Also partially because I bought it blind expecting another space roguelike like Everspace 1 and was supremely disappointed that this one was a linear narrative game)

I can't even remember what was so bad about it though. Mouse acceleration that couldn't be turned off maybe?

Possibly the simulated joystick feeling? I don't mind it too much but I can see how it could bother others... I did find this Steam post about a possible work around that sounds like it worked for other folks.

There's also an option for the crosshairs to stay centered if the free floating reticule is throwing you off.

edit: :siren: Alsooo they just updated the demo to the 1.0 release!

Deakul fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 6, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The mode that disables hunger and thirst makes the whole game better after the first couple hours once those requirements become more tedious than interesting, and you eventually spend more time in infinite-oxygen vehicles than not

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

FishMcCool posted:

Would anyone here volunteer to sell me on Subnautica? I'm almost 6h in and pondering just calling it a day and uninstalling, which feels a bit mad considering I love underwater settings. Now, I didn't expect this to be the chill experience of Endless Ocean 1&2, but I have been taken aback at how much a modern survival game first and foremost. Food/Drink drain is ridiculous enough, but oxygen takes the cake. I only have the second kind of oxygen tanks, and that gives me 130s of breathing, 100s more with a second tank which I can carry and switch to. And effectively less since under 100m it drains faster (well I have a helmet to help with that, but if I switch to it I take radiation damage...). So so far, it has never been about taking in the surroundings and enjoying the atmosphere, it's always been racing against the clock. The worst was the first explorable wreck I found, which ended up being a stupid rush and mouselook as fast as possible to locate interactables rather than the slow/ominous exploration I'd have expected.

Please tell me I have missed something and I'll soon be able to get more than the minute and a half of oxygen I have to deal with right now. The gauge watching is really doing my head in, and if that's supposed to be the whole game, well, I'll have to accept it's just not for me.

The survival aspect of the game becomes mostly negligible after a few more hours unless you gently caress up in some catastrophic way. Food/water are a complete non-issue if you plant some Bulbo Trees or Marblemelons in your home base, they'll grow on a set timer even if there's no light or oxygen in the base and a single grow bed is more than you'll ever need. Personal oxygen supply is much the same after you build yourself a Seamoth, you'll never drown unless you get completely lost while exploring and forget how to path your way back.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I feel like the hunger/thirst mechanics don't really add anything to Subnautica besides being an early game chore.

Oxygen is a pain in the rear end until you get some upgrades for sure. After a while, though, you're getting several minutes of oxygen per dive and it isn't bad. The radiation problem is only around the Aurora, and you can actually repair it enough to stop leaking radiation. The rebreather makes oxygen use at 100m+ much more efficient.

If you don't like the game after the Seamoth vehicle you probably just won't like the game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the insights folks. Think I have full Seamoth blueprints, but am only at 1/3 on the vehicle bay. Guess I'll push a bit more and see if the other parts show up. Apparently, freedom mode can't be triggered in full on an existing save, but it can be activated per session from a dev console, so I'll do that and see how it goes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

:lol: I think I bought the first one after it was promoted on Steam Shots ages ago. "Last played 2013."

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Also for what it's worth trainers are extremely easy to use these days and don't require hunting down shady downloads on sketchy sites, so you could just use a trainer to give yourself unlimited oxygen :shrug:

As a side note, re: trainers like WeMod (no experience with it)…that’s not going to set off some sort of anti-cheat for single player games, is it? I don’t want a ban for my multiplayer stuff just because I wanted to fart around in Doom (2016) or something. I do occasionally play single player games on the easy setting for just the story (like Trek to Yomi) and have always been worried in the back of my mind that a “no overheating” flag flipped somewhere in BattleTech is gonna lose my Albion account or something.

I multibox in Eve Online but 1) don’t input broadcast, and 2) only use a program specifically mentioned as allowed (Eve-O Preview) by the devs on the official forums. Trainers for single player just seem to me as another rung on the difficulty slider (mainly because my skillz are like a toddler’s first “Blue’s Clues on iPad” level 🥺).

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Just how anime is Code Vein? I have a mild allergy. I like the visual aesthetic, but usually tropiness or over the top voice acting turns me off of most anime games or movies I try to enjoy. I've enjoyed some in the past, but it's like one in ten. Also, the only souls-like I really played for more than a couple hours was Elden Ring, but I liked that game a LOT.

So I'm thinking about grabbing this while it's cheap, but don't want it to just languish unplayed in my library like a bunch of other anime games I thought I'd enjoy and then immediately didn't.

I'm sure I could tell if I like it or not within the refund window, but don't like using the refund system as a free sample table. IDK, it just feels bad to me for some reason.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jack Trades posted:

I just don't get it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/358920/Star_Control_I_and_II/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skeletronics posted:

Just how anime is Code Vein? I have a mild allergy. I like the visual aesthetic, but usually tropiness or over the top voice acting turns me off of most anime games or movies I try to enjoy. I've enjoyed some in the past, but it's like one in ten. Also, the only souls-like I really played for more than a couple hours was Elden Ring, but I liked that game a LOT.

So I'm thinking about grabbing this while it's cheap, but don't want it to just languish unplayed in my library like a bunch of other anime games I thought I'd enjoy and then immediately didn't.

I'm sure I could tell if I like it or not within the refund window, but don't like using the refund system as a free sample table. IDK, it just feels bad to me for some reason.

As someone who looked into it to determine that before I got it: Unbelievably Anime. Perhaps the most anime game ever made. Did not buy.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DerekSmartymans posted:

As a side note, re: trainers like WeMod (no experience with it)…that’s not going to set off some sort of anti-cheat for single player games, is it? I don’t want a ban for my multiplayer stuff just because I wanted to fart around in Doom (2016) or something. I do occasionally play single player games on the easy setting for just the story (like Trek to Yomi) and have always been worried in the back of my mind that a “no overheating” flag flipped somewhere in BattleTech is gonna lose my Albion account or something.

I multibox in Eve Online but 1) don’t input broadcast, and 2) only use a program specifically mentioned as allowed (Eve-O Preview) by the devs on the official forums. Trainers for single player just seem to me as another rung on the difficulty slider (mainly because my skillz are like a toddler’s first “Blue’s Clues on iPad” level 🥺).

I use trainers and cheat engine a lot in singleplayer games, for example I hate tutorials so I'll skip the tutorial and then if something about the game is confusing me I'll just play it with godmode for a while until I figure it out, and I'm incredibly impatient so I use cheatengine's speed hack in pretty much every singleplayer game. The only time I've ever had anything like that happen to me was some MMOs with their own anticheat systems that will not let you connect if you have a memory editor like CheatEngine running, but they don't ban you, you just have to close CheatEngine and restart the launcher.

Wemod for example won't connect to a game's memory unless you activate it inside the wemod app, prior to that it's basically just a standalone web browser looking at a list of cheats. No anticheat system will outright ban you for just having a cheat app running, that will only happen when they determine that you're using the cheat program to modify the game's memory.

Also FWIW a decent portion of the trainer-using community are disabled gamers who use trainers to play games they wouldn't otherwise be able to play, so just banning for having the apps running outright would open them up to all kinds of litigation (especially because precedent has been set over the last several years and throughout the pandemic that websites and web-based services are absolutely beholden to the ADA when the internet is the only way to access your service - legally speaking this would be like not allowing someone in your store because their car has disability plates and saying it's because you got robbed by someone with disability plates once)

e: It's worth noting though that if you use something like cheatengine to cheat in a VAC-protected multiplayer game, and get caught, that will ban you from playing any other VAC-protected games (which are pretty much just a few AAA multiplayer titles on Steam) and impose other permanent restrictions on your Steam account

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 6, 2023

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

zoux posted:

As someone who looked into it to determine that before I got it: Unbelievably Anime. Perhaps the most anime game ever made. Did not buy.

Ah, I'll just skip it. My backlog is ridiculous, anyway.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

skeletronics posted:

Hmmm, it's definitely pretty dang anime in some regards, what with the ridiculous outfits and cliche archetypes and being a game where your homebase has a hot spring installed despite being in a bombed-out apocalyptical city, but I never felt like it went too over-the-top in its anime levels to cause cringe: cutscenes felt few and were easily skippable and if you don't like your partner giving chatter you can go solo, among other things. Like, Code Vein wasn't Neon White levels or anything like that, which is a game that I can't play despite wanting to. Still...it's definitely the most anime Souls game. Is there an anime game that you played recently that you turned away from due to allergy? Like, if you could play God Eater or Persona or Tales of Arise or something like that it's probably fine. Though, as a person with an anime profile pic...maybe I'm not the most trustworthy, haha.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 6, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
narratively, code vein’s anime rating is High. aesthetically, the dial does a 720-degree spin and explodes off the meter

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will give Code Vein credit for being extremely self-aware about it though.

I will say I think the anime isn’t the actual problem with the game though, it’s a Dark Souls with extremely bad animations and hitboxes and that’s fairly unforgivable.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

skeletronics posted:

Just how anime is Code Vein?

Been playing recently on ps5 as it was a psplus game a while back. Almost at the final boss.

It has way more direct story than most souls likes. On the other hand , the story is ridiculous. And yes, its extremely anime.

Dark Souls + Anime + WAIFU + Vampires = Code Vein

skeletronics posted:

Well I sorted my library by recent activity to look for anime games I've enjoyed lately, and yeah it's been a while. The last one I tried to play was Rune Factory 4 back in 2021. Having fond memories of Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley, I tried to enjoy that, but there was just way too much dialogue I didn't find engaging, interesting, or informative. Even just mashing a button to skip it required more patience than I had at the time.

After Stardew, its hard to go to anything else. The closest thing Ive tried and enjoyed is My Time In Portia.

strategery fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 7, 2023

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Well I sorted my library by recent activity to look for anime games I've enjoyed lately, and yeah it's been a while. The last one I tried to play was Rune Factory 4 back in 2021. Having fond memories of Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley, I tried to enjoy that, but there was just way too much dialogue I didn't find engaging, interesting, or informative. Even just mashing a button to skip it required more patience than I had at the time.

The last one I actually liked was Nier Automata, but Steam says I only put about five and a half hours into that. I didn't quit because of the anime in that case, I quit because I kept just wandering around without a clear idea of what I was doing or why. That is one I'd like to reinstall and give another go, paying more attention this time. Plus I've been using the joke of a username "Beastcurse" on various platforms for over a decade now and somebody told me there's a weapon in that game with that name.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

<snip all my questions answered>

Thanks a ton for the :effort: I enjoy playing most games straight up, but some single-player games are just as grindy as a Korean MMORPG and that is not fun, so I appreciate the info!

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Orv posted:

I will say I think the anime isn’t the actual problem with the game though, it’s a Dark Souls with extremely bad animations and hitboxes and that’s fairly unforgivable.

this is Code Vein's only real crime, it just feels bad to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I use trainers and cheat engine a lot in singleplayer games, for example I hate tutorials so I'll skip the tutorial and then if something about the game is confusing me I'll just play it with godmode for a while until I figure it out, and I'm incredibly impatient so I use cheatengine's speed hack in pretty much every singleplayer game.

:stare: