Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jet Jaguar posted:

I suspect that line explaining how power-ups work is a couple of test audiences wrote about how they were confused. Probably they’ve been living under a rock for the last 30 years.

Sega fans live in a reality distortion field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

Sega fans live in a reality distortion field

all true sega fan that find themselves in a test screening of the mario movie will intentionally give them bad feedback in order to sabotage the movie. looks like the operation went off without a hitch

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Augus posted:

u don’t play a movie

If you want Mario to get the Fire Flower and fight Bowser, press 1!

If you want Mario to painstakingly tighten the fittings on every pipe in the house, press 2!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

cirus posted:

If you want Mario to painstakingly tighten the fittings on every pipe in the house, press 2!

:f5:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

cirus posted:

Writing a choose your own adventure audiobook to be played over the phone?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Saw Shiren the Wanderer went on sale and picked it up after sitting on my wishlist for however long since it came out. How active is the online rescue feature? i.e. is there a worthwhile chance of getting rescued reasonably quickly (idk... 24 hours?) or is it just not gonna happen nowadays so you might as well abandon the run and start over?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Saw Shiren the Wanderer went on sale and picked it up after sitting on my wishlist for however long since it came out. How active is the online rescue feature? i.e. is there a worthwhile chance of getting rescued reasonably quickly (idk... 24 hours?) or is it just not gonna happen nowadays so you might as well abandon the run and start over?

It's still reasonably active, yeah. Rescues are cross region and cross platform so there's good odds some Japanese player will save you when you die 50 floors into a dungeon. You can also post here or in the roguelikes thread, there's a couple Shiren players who'd be happy to give it a shot.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I've been rescued within 24 hours a few times within the last year, sometimes much faster. People are certainly still doing it, probably because of the leaderboards

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mandatory lesbian posted:

It can also just be magic. Like there doesnt need to be rules and i think mario is the game series where "its just magic" is like the entire logic of the series

"A wizard did it."

cirus posted:

You joke, but I still have my Choose Your Own Adventure Super Mario World book, "Brain Drain".

It's fantastic for what it is.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
the Koopa are famous for their black magic, duh. its how King Koopa transformed the Mushroom People into horsehair plants.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"A wizard did it."

You joke, but I still have my Choose Your Own Adventure Super Mario World book, "Brain Drain".

It's fantastic for what it is.

I agree that book was great though the deaths did not make little me too thrilled.

The same year I read it, I had a Mario cassette tape story that I used to listen to before bed every night.

I will always remember a quote from Mario on side 1: "The best laid pipes of mushrooms and men... Are bound in time to boist!"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1644189850273292288?s=20

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Just watched Mario and it was pretty drat good especially if it was made by the minions fuckers. Sure there was some kinda dumb poo poo in it but that was pretty dope imo

It moves very fast and they really pack the 90 mins with different scenarios. Bowser Jack black loving ROCKS and the donkey Kong stuff was a delight

Don't listen to the adults projecting weird poo poo onto kids movies. That was a super fun kids movie and yes it had some generic music but who cares it also had a toooon of classic Mario music references

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently itt we got boomer movie executives who ask why Superman has to fly and wear a cape and shoot lasers from his eyes, and why does he have to be called Superman and not fight a giant spider? Can't we get rid of the whole hell and demons angle from Hellboy? Sonic should look more realistic, not like a cartoon hedgehog.

I mean lol they even implicitly explain the power ups in the movie along with other aspects like the floating blocks, pipes and rainbow road; that they are just natural parts of the world people take for granted, there's literally a field of fire flowers growing in the wild.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Why would they explain the power ups in the super Mario movie when the super Mario games never do? Weird poo poo to expect

Also lol at furry Mario

Also also peach is a bad rear end and a better character than in the games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it was an illumination movie, for sure

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

KingSlime posted:

Why would they explain the power ups in the super Mario movie when the super Mario games never do? Weird poo poo to expect

Also lol at furry Mario

That's not really a high bar. Mario as a series isn't known for particularly complex or interesting characters. It wouldn't take much for movie Peach to be more interesting than game Peach.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Watched the Super Mario Brothers Movie tonight:

- Chris Pratt voicing Mario was fine.
- Jack Black kills it.
- First Seth Rogen movie worth watching.
- It's the Top Gun Maverick of Mario movies: everything the fans wanted.
- Has the best soundtrack of the year, and for the same reasons top gun maverick did last year.
- Gives the fans exactly what they've wanted in a Super Mario Brothers Movie (with Donkey Kong too): forty years worth of glorious fan service and homages.
- Everyone gets a chance to be the hero.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 7, 2023

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
sounds bad, OP

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it gives the fans what they want, but not what they deserve (a lobotomy)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

last year i got rescued, idk, 10 times in the span of about two weeks? usually within a few hours depending on what the time was in japan lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

sounds bad, OP

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KingSlime posted:

Also lol at furry Mario

And has a great rear end

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The new mario movie is Alice in Wonderland X Disco Elysium. A whole world of weirdos happy to explain basic functions of reality to a new guy who just showed up confused by the talking mushrooms, the walking chestnuts with no arms, the floating blocks and the ghosts we've all just accepted are core facet of our world. And then 16 minutes later they drag him along to a new insane scenario like Rainbow Road racing.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I'm afraid there is no such thing as a plumber. I've seen people in worse condition. Much worse.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Mister Facetious posted:

- Gives the fans exactly what they've wanted in a Super Mario Brothers Movie

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Mario Bros 93 explicitly portrayed class war against fascism waged by the proletariat and is therefore the superior film

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Marx Headroom posted:

Mario Bros 93 explicitly portrayed class war against fascism waged by the proletariat and is therefore the superior film

I don't know if this is a shitpost or not, but this is actually the Guardian's Review of it. Like, almost word for word.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
For a moment I was honestly confusing 93 Mario Bros with the film Brazil.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So do they explain why peach even needs mario in the movie? In the trailers she acts like she knows what she's doing

Spellman
May 31, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

So do they explain why peach even needs mario in the movie? In the trailers she acts like she knows what she's doing

She has low DEF

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Toad keeps flushing toilet wipes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

The new mario movie is Alice in Wonderland X Disco Elysium. A whole world of weirdos happy to explain basic functions of reality to a new guy who just showed up confused by the talking mushrooms, the walking chestnuts with no arms, the floating blocks and the ghosts we've all just accepted are core facet of our world. And then 16 minutes later they drag him along to a new insane scenario like Rainbow Road racing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WHY BONER NOW posted:

She's taking him along as a favor to him so he can find his brother

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

This sounds like movie of the year material.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

disco elysium invented exposition

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

John Wick of Dogs posted:

She's taking him along as a favor to him so he can find his brother

Ah, that makes a lot of sense actually

Now that I'm thinking about it...I don't even know if Peach is a human or some sort of hosed up walking mushroom

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Peach is half Toad half NewDonkian

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Communist Mario, the Superstar Cop.

I borrowed Disco Elysium from the library and love it so far. It’s very interesting, moody, and surprisingly funny. It lives up to all of the hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Ah, that makes a lot of sense actually

Now that I'm thinking about it...I don't even know if Peach is a human or some sort of hosed up walking mushroom

shes a mushroom, which is why she and bowser jr both think she's his mom