Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Zodium posted:

willa's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

i just had to help my friend figure out the ACA website, they still hide the plan view w/o making an account because they dont want people just able to see financial numbers! he's potentially switching jobs to a startup that doesn't offer healthcare and trying to figure out the math on it

the good thing for him is he isn't married to his decade+ partner, so despite her having health care through her job he isn't disqualified from getting a subsidy . I did have to walk him through the delights of projecting future income , mathing out if you can get cost sharing reductions by calculating 140% of the FPL and how realistic that is for his family size, how you can avoid a premium cliff at 400% of federal poverty line by using a tax refund to add contributions to the past tax year's IRA, all the greatest hits! truly it is a technocrat's dream

ACA really is such bloodless psycho neolib bullshit. A bunch of dead eyed ladder climbing robots getting in a windowless room with flickering fluorescent lights and nodding in perfect unison as the grayest man on earth says "As we all know, the most beloved and satisfying American pastime is theorycrafting the ideal multi-year insurance outlay."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol as soon as I learned about UHC and how Obama cut it from the ACA I knew he was a useless shithead. There were so many loving libs on this site that lapped his poo poo up.

evilweasel, circa 2009: "Who cares if the bronze plans come with $6,000/year deductibles? You'd have to have cancer or something else bad to spend that much in which case you should be thankful to have insurance at all!"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

i just had to help my friend figure out the ACA website, they still hide the plan view w/o making an account because they dont want people just able to see financial numbers! he's potentially switching jobs to a startup that doesn't offer healthcare and trying to figure out the math on it

the good thing for him is he isn't married to his decade+ partner, so despite her having health care through her job he isn't disqualified from getting a subsidy . I did have to walk him through the delights of projecting future income , mathing out if you can get cost sharing reductions by calculating 140% of the FPL and how realistic that is for his family size, how you can avoid a premium cliff at 400% of federal poverty line by using a tax refund to add contributions to the past tax year's IRA, all the greatest hits! truly it is a technocrat's dream

and biden has appointed liz fowler, the technocrat & blue cross lobbyist who who wrote the ACA for baucus as his chief of staff, to now gently caress up medicare the same way she hosed up the aca.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rand Paul is from Pittsburgh

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
What is all this poo poo?

And to think weekend posting ITT was being taken to task.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

PFC posting his L's.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

PFC posting his L's.

wasn’t there a toxx about trump getting arrested?!

I’m ahem just asking questions

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SlimGoodbody posted:

ACA really is such bloodless psycho neolib bullshit. A bunch of dead eyed ladder climbing robots getting in a windowless room with flickering fluorescent lights and nodding in perfect unison as the grayest man on earth says "As we all know, the most beloved and satisfying American pastime is theorycrafting the ideal multi-year insurance outlay."

I will never, ever forget my chat over the phone with a dejected staffer tasked by trump to verify my income that would happen in the future. He just wanted me to give him something, anything , so that he could mark down "good enough" and move on with his day

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Rand Paul is from Pittsburgh

Shut down the whole county until we can figure out what's going on

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/NatBullard/status/1643983430169018372

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are we actually getting any more EVs and batteries built here, or did it just double in price to get the same amount?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Is this like when Foxconn announced opening a Wisconsin plant to claim a shitload of tax credits, Amazon with VA, etc.? :thunk:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ah, good old fashioned announcements. cheap, nonbinding, easy pr - no downsides! we love the biden administration's announcements, don't we?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
'im going to announce student debt forgiveness! im going to announce clemency for marijuana offenders in federal prison! im going to announce battery manufacturing investments!' so many good announcements. thats my president!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Excuse me, but student loan forgiveness began on october 2022!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I forgive all of you for taking out student loans.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Are we actually getting any more EVs and batteries built here, or did it just double in price to get the same amount?

Horseshoe theory posted:

Is this like when Foxconn announced opening a Wisconsin plant to claim a shitload of tax credits, Amazon with VA, etc.? :thunk:

there is a unprecedented surge in the importing of these factories. it is real and it is happening very quickly.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

I forgive all of you for taking out student loans.

I don't.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there is a unprecedented surge in the importing of these factories. it is real and it is happening very quickly.

like, there's a factory factory in China that's making a bunch of factories and sending them to the US?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That is why there are so many JOLTS openings!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

like, there's a factory factory in China that's making a bunch of factories and sending them to the US?

yes! basically. case it up put ‘em in general purpose cargo ships.

and we have factory factories here for other things.

Mr Hootington posted:

That is why there are so many JOLTS openings!

ehhh not so much on that front I think.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Would any of you kind, smart goons be able to point me towards how to understand those all caps tweets about markets and unemployment and stuff that get posted in here? I wanna be better at participating in the thread but I never got any kind of formal education on that stuff and I grew up very poor so my parents also didn't know dick about stocks and markets and whatnot.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Where do they make the factory factories though?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

At the factories factory factory. duh.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

At the factories factory factory. duh.

It's like Master Mold from X-Men!

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Shear Modulus posted:

Java has solved this

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SlimGoodbody posted:

Would any of you kind, smart goons be able to point me towards how to understand those all caps tweets about markets and unemployment and stuff that get posted in here? I wanna be better at participating in the thread but I never got any kind of formal education on that stuff and I grew up very poor so my parents also didn't know dick about stocks and markets and whatnot.

you dont need to know poo poo

just come up with the most insanely cynical and jaded explanation for a given thing that you can think of. it doesn't need to be correct or even make any sense

:justpost:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SlimGoodbody posted:

The all cap tweets are copy paste Bloomberg terminal alerts. You can see the headlines/alerts on the left

Do what ive been doing and read about what the numbers represent. Any numbers in particular?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

you dont need to know poo poo

just come up with the most insanely cynical and jaded explanation for a given thing that you can think of. it doesn't need to be correct or even make any sense

:justpost:

you can also be an insufferable debate poisoned nerd that needs to criticize every thread they refuse to stop posting extremely incorrect information in

live your dreams, be the poster you want to see in the world

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

SlimGoodbody posted:

I was in a similar boat right out of college. There's a Business & Finance subforum that I poked around and ended up getting recommended this book: https://www.amazon.com/Four-Pillars-Investing-Building-Portfolio-ebook/dp/B0041842TW

The Motley Fool also does a pretty decent job at explaining terms and poo poo.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Zodium posted:

willa's right

Boomers and Xers aren't the problem. The common foe here is capitalism.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

do Bloomberg terminals have access to internet browsers and Office or are they closed up

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

you can just run them as normal software on commodity PCs - the fancy colored keyboards etc. are optional

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Nicole Evilcruel

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SlimGoodbody posted:

difficult question because there are basically two languages being spoken at the same time. the all caps tweets and federal reserve edicts are in fantasy liberal free market land that is language that only exists because it is how the ruling class communicates, analogous to the latin spoken by medieval european priests to keep the peasants unable to interpret scripture themselves. in this world, all economic events and outcomes come from the all-seeing, all-knowing, infinitely fair invisible hand of the free market divinely determining everything. the divine methods of the invisible hand can only be known through sets of equations derived from the presupposition that every person is an infinitely rational, emotion-free robot. these equations may only be interpreted by members of the economic priesthood.

there is another language of economics that is used to explain things happening in the real world without divine intervention. this language is variously called "communism," "marxism," or "heterodox."

Maybe we should add some books and stuff to the= recommended links in the OP

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I will never, ever forget my chat over the phone with a dejected staffer tasked by trump to verify my income that would happen in the future. He just wanted me to give him something, anything , so that he could mark down "good enough" and move on with his day

My fav experience was IL taking its sweet time to recertify me for medicaid so I signed up for a shite bronze plan for january then the following year the IRS tried to ding me for the $750 subsidy the feds paid aetna.

bc people who are medicaid-poor have hundreds on hand with which to pay back the feds for their blood money to insurers.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

My fav experience was IL taking its sweet time to recertify me for medicaid so I signed up for a shite bronze plan for january then the following year the IRS tried to ding me for the $750 subsidy the feds paid aetna.

bc people who are medicaid-poor have hundreds on hand with which to pay back the feds for their blood money to insurers.

look, the bank officers unitedhealthcare officers got their bonuses, so we know the solution was Just and Good

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

That's OK they can take it out of your refund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think dick "richard" wolff does a real good job at explaining things in plain english, and most importantly, giving things context by spelling out exactly how you're getting hosed over by the fed jacking up interest rates or whatever