Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

I thought DS9 looked fine on streaming. Could be better and looked a bit dated film quality-wise, but it wasn't unwatchable

Anything with dot crawl in the master due to the use of a composite video editing pipeline isn't fine, it's bad, and that is only one of the problems with it. As I mentioned a couple pages ago the Paramount+ versions even have combing artifacts due to a mishandled 3:2 pulldown process across the entire series.

Like, I guess if you're used to watching dvd rips in a window while half distracted they're ok, but given a big screen they're not.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Anything with dot crawl in the master due to the use of a composite video editing pipeline isn't fine, it's bad, and that is only one of the problems with it. As I mentioned a couple pages ago the Paramount+ versions even have combing artifacts due to a mishandled 3:2 pulldown process across the entire series.

Like, I guess if you're used to watching dvd rips in a window while half distracted they're ok, but given a big screen they're not.

i would consider it completely reasonable that a show from the 1990s doesn't look great in the living rooms of the 2020s now dominated by screens that were inconceivable for home use at the time of the show's airing. yes, technology advanced by leaps and bounds and yes, it's an old show. that doesn't make it bad, it just makes it old.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm just grateful to be enough of a philistine to watch and enjoy Star Trek without getting crabby about the Heisenberg Image Compilers or whatever being poo poo :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

I thought DS9 looked fine on streaming. Could be better and looked a bit dated film quality-wise, but it wasn't unwatchable

If you're watching it on a 120'' projection screen tho

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

i would consider it completely reasonable that a show from the 1990s doesn't look great in the living rooms of the 2020s now dominated by screens that were inconceivable for home use at the time of the show's airing. yes, technology advanced by leaps and bounds and yes, it's an old show. that doesn't make it bad, it just makes it old.

I wouldn't be super happy to have to stick with VHS-era analog masters of movies because they were of their time and must be left in their original, crappy looking state out a misguided sense of what is authentic. DS9 was shot for video, but also under the expectation that it would be remastered for widescreen/HD. This is something creators of the show want and wanted to happen.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 6, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

I wouldn't be super happy to have to stick with VHS-era analog masters of movies because they were of their time and must be left in their original, crappy looking state out a misguided sense of what is authentic.

I don't care about authenticity. But the idea you're proposing, that people who are okay watching the current streaming versions are poor viewers who are just ignoring a "bad" experience is belittling and insulting. I don't disagree that a remaster or re-transfer or whatever could be done and there could be better-looking versions. There's a far gap between "a remaster would be nice" and "you folks who are happy with the current version are bad viewers," and you're stating the second and that's loving dogshit.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

I don't care about authenticity. But the idea you're proposing, that people who are okay watching the current streaming versions are poor viewers who are just ignoring a "bad" experience is belittling and insulting. I don't disagree that a remaster or re-transfer or whatever could be done and there could be better-looking versions. There's a far gap between "a remaster would be nice" and "you folks who are happy with the current version are bad viewers," and you're stating the second and that's loving dogshit.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

SCheeseman posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
nobody is saying that

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If you feel personally hurt by what you quoted you have a hell of a victim complex.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

zoux posted:

If you're watching it on a 120'' projection screen tho

drat, you got me

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I can sit down and watch an episode of DS9 on my 49" telly with my full attention and enjoy it thoroughly

I feel sorry for you guys who can't :(

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The show is of it's time but that time was a period of transition. HD television didn't suddenly start in the mid 2000s, but had it's genesis in the late 80s, quite a few productions during the 90s attempted to account for this eventuality while sticking to SD editing pipelines out of cost/convenience.

One might not value visual quality as much as I do and that's fine. That isn't a personal slight, it's a difference in preference and values. But the people who made the show seem to value it, if not Paramount. Both they and I want a version of the show that delivers on what was shot in-camera, something technology at the time wasn't up to the task of providing which the creators knew at the time of production, explicitly changing their production process to account for the eventuality of a HD remaster.

I can enjoy a bad quality version of a movie, that doesn't make it unreasonable to want a better quality version.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 6, 2023

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a nice TV but I would like to be able to watch things I like in the highest possible quality because I like looking at stuff, especially something like Star Trek where the people making it often went to a lot of trouble to make things look the way they did

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

The show is of it's time but that time was a period of transition. HD television didn't suddenly start in the mid 2000s, but had it's genesis in the late 80s, quite a few productions during the 90s attempted to account for this eventuality while sticking to SD editing pipelines out of cost/convenience.

One might not value visual quality as much as I do and that's fine. That isn't a personal slight, it's a difference in preference and values. But the people who made the show seem to value it, if not Paramount. Both they and I want a version of the show that delivers on what was shot in-camera, something technology at the time wasn't up to the task of providing which the creators knew at the time of production, explicitly changing their production process to account for the eventuality of a HD remaster.

I can enjoy a bad quality version of a movie, that doesn't make it unreasonable to want a better quality version.

Okay, but can you apologize for saying that people who don't care about "visual quality" as much as you are worse viewers? Like, yes, it is offensive to say that someone who's not watching Star Trek in your approved way and quality is not meaningfully engaging.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

Okay, but can you apologize for saying that people who don't care about "visual quality" as much as you are worse viewers? Like, yes, it is offensive to say that someone who's not watching Star Trek in your approved way and quality is not meaningfully engaging.

gently caress off. Your avatar text makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

gently caress off.

Excellent quality posting there champ, really persuading others you know what's right.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

Excellent quality posting there champ, really persuading others you know what's right.

You're asking me to apologize for something I didn't do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

You're asking me to apologize for something I didn't do.

I quoted your post where you described people who were okay with the current streaming quality of DS9 and VOY as distracted viewers who were fine watching dvd rips. You absolutely were trying to insult people who didn't care about visual quality the same way you did, both for their ways of sourcing media and how they multitask while watching it. That's in your post, both explicitly and implicitly.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
you haven't experienced shakespeare until you've seen it in the original 240p

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tighclops posted:

i went to the rebuilt globe theatre in london and tapped out after like 10 minutes because my legs were tired and there was no loving way i was gonna stand up for the next four acts

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

I quoted your post where you described people who were okay with the current streaming quality of DS9 and VOY as distracted viewers who were fine watching dvd rips. You absolutely were trying to insult people who didn't care about visual quality the same way you did, both for their ways of sourcing media and how they multitask while watching it. That's in your post, both explicitly and implicitly.

They are objectively not good quality and those who are ok with that have low standards for video quality. This doesn't mean I think people who find these versions acceptable are worse people for having this position, that's some poo poo you made up in your own brain.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah Lily is stuck onboard the Enterprise until just before the final confrontation with the Queen.

I don’t think she was ever supposed to be on the Phoenix though, I think she was supposed to be in mission control filling the role that Troi ends up doing.

Yeah, just because she's not on the flight or wasn't planning on being on the flight doesn't mean she didn't play an integral part in making it happen.

Cochrane may have been the physics genius that invented warp for humanity, but it really seems like Lily was the hands-on engineer. Forgotten by history. It's not like you can blame the war for destroying records or anything at that point.

Really, the whole movie is missing everything about the relationship between Cochrane and Lily. Aside from the hand touch at the end right before first contact, they don't even interact since they are basically in their own movies. THEY DON'T EVEN TALK ABOUT EACH OTHER. They might as well be strangers as far as the script goes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

I think it was a huge mistake to give him emotions, once you give him his ultimate goal, the character loses its distinctiveness and becomes much less interesting. Spock didn't suddenly get emotions in the movies, it's his lack of emotion and adherence to logic that is so compelling about the character. Same with Data, imo.

It's even worse because the whole crisis of the movie would be averted because Data wouldn't have been too scared stop Soren. In retrospect: do it in FC, as part of the Borg queen's temptations.

also Data always already had emotions, he's just a goober

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
AI upscaling will probably be able to produce nice looking HD remasters of DS9/VOY/ENT in the next 5 years (at most). That's my hope anyways.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I watch compressed to hell YouTube uploads of VHS recordings of MST3k episodes that were on a tape that probably recorded 19 other things before it got used for that one last time. I don't really care what something old looks like.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Tighclops posted:

Broadcast in SSD!! Smoke signal definition!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/nilbogdotgov/status/1644038916696076310?s=20

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

AI upscaling will probably be able to produce nice looking HD remasters of DS9/VOY/ENT in the next 5 years (at most). That's my hope anyways.

In 10 years we'll probably be able to ask for, and get, completely new episodes of TOS or anything else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Enterprise was native HD from the start, it doesn't need a remaster.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Winifred Madgers posted:

In 10 years we'll probably be able to ask for, and get, completely new episodes of TOS or anything else.

Honestly, fine. This AI stuff is obviously going to be bad for a lot of people who rely on selling their art or their skills but hopefully it will help kill IP law and the concept of Brands as we understand them

I mean probably not, somehow all that poo poo's going to be locked behind paywalls I'm just trying to look on the bright side here for once

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FlamingLiberal posted:

Picard's the one who was actually in the collective, he knows that he got lucky because of his specific situation, but those other crewmembers were too far gone. I would be more willing to trust him on his actions w/r/t the Borg. Yes, obviously some of his actions were due to trauma, but I don't think it was really unreasonable.

I don't think Picard did the wrong thing but based on other material I don't think they were too far gone. It just would have been exceedingly dangerous to try to recover them in that situation, hosed up and unable to move with the borg nanomachines running through them, rapidly losing control, surrounded by near-invincible Borg. They also didn't have the facilities to do so since sickbay was overrun early on and so the best they could do is sedate the person, hope they don't wake up as an unstoppable zombie, keeping them under guard with manpower that they couldn't spare. Just a poo poo situation all around.

Khanstant posted:

also Data always already had emotions, he's just a goober

Yeah without emotions he wouldn't have any drive to do anything, any loyalty to his comrades, or find anything "fascinating." The emotion chip giving him such an over the top response to everything was like him having to be beat over the head with emotions before he could recognize them.

Obviously that's contrary to the actual text of the show and movies but I think it makes more sense than the real explanation.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 7, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

Honestly, fine. This AI stuff is obviously going to be bad for a lot of people who rely on selling their art or their skills but hopefully it will help kill IP law and the concept of Brands as we understand them

I mean probably not, somehow all that poo poo's going to be locked behind paywalls I'm just trying to look on the bright side here for once

You’re going to get AI generated content (it’s not art and never will be) anyway because lmao if you think studios aren’t going to use them to automate as much as possible to save costs on things like writers, animators, VFX artists, etc. once the tech is sufficiently advanced.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah without emotions he wouldn't have any drive to do anything, any loyalty to his comrades, or find anything "fascinating." The emotion chip giving him such an over the top response to everything was like him having to be beat over the head with emotions before he could recognize them.

Obviously that's contrary to the actual text of the show and movies but I think it makes more sense than the real explanation.

It's kind of a paradoxical thing for a human performer to deliver. Even Isaac on the Orville, his performer is much stiffer than Data, colder, literally has a grey metallic head whose only features are 2 lightup eyes most of the time -- long before an episode with an emotion chip equivalent and arc for Isaac I was struggling to accept him as emotionless, but it did feet more like he successfully reasoned himself into altruism, empathy, generally caring about others and some specifically to an exceptional degree, expressing affection, etc. Not seeing the actor's face and human eyes helped keep it feeling inhuman longer, plus not literally created to be a feeling human lifeform like Data and fam.

speaking of, did they mention data's extended family village this season?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I don't think Picard did the wrong thing

Picard always does the wrong thing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Picard died peacefully offscreen after All Good Things

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You’re going to get AI generated content (it’s not art and never will be) anyway because lmao if you think studios aren’t going to use them to automate as much as possible to save costs on things like writers, animators, VFX artists, etc. once the tech is sufficiently advanced.

lmao this is what I get for tryna stay positive for once

HD DAD posted:

Picard died peacefully offscreen after All Good Things

somebody told me they kept making star trek movies after TUC... ? sounds like bs to me

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If that means you haven't seen Star Trek: Christmas with the Klumps you need to get on that

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

lmao this is what I get for tryna stay positive for once

I work in a field that’s already seeing management insist we just use AI tools to save time and replace real work even though they’re all still garbage that you have to finesse to get anything even remotely usable, so I’m just reflexively cynical about all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A local headshop that's antivax and mask and treats it's employees like poo poo, who always have rush requests that take too much time and they don't want to pay for any design time, has already started sending us hosed up AI gibberish versions of their Logo to screen print, that we originally designed for them years and years ago. Now featuring indecipherable blobs and smears of bullshit here and there.