Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They did deeply cut DP1 Gunner since 2011, particularly in 2021.

See, the problem was that we're short 15k pers. So some genius decided that it would look best for the stats if they fixed it in a FY or two. What was the solution, you ask ?

Cutting all this as much as possible. They cut 63 days out of training in just DP 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

That doesn't encompass driver wheel, that's the gun tow course. Usually they are in Gagetown for 8 months to a year all told, with Gun Det member, Gun Tow, Troop Lift, M777, Dangerous Goods.

Yeah, I think we were comparing apples and oranges. 13B AIT (~35 training days, 7 total weeks) is the basics to operate and maintain a gun, not the basics to run an artillery battery as a collectively certified battery/battalion. To certify a battery is more like months of training and qualification required twice/year and you have to recertify if the crew breaks due to personnel transfer/loss/whatever.

I assume a lot of the Ukrainian training for line troops on running a howitzer is basically "how to fire and do basic maintenance" with the expectation that they can do a different and smaller course for the FDCs, etc. But I dunno precisely how they're running it all.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this war is bonkers

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

But I dunno how they're running it at all, considering the state of the armed forces and government.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CODChimera posted:

this war is bonkers

What a throwback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISy0Hl0SBfg

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

So NATO or AFU just kinda let some dude walk in and take pictures of WAR_PLANS_2023.pptx huh

only one way to stop the leaks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Chillgamesh posted:

So NATO or AFU just kinda let some dude walk in and take pictures of WAR_PLANS_2023.pptx huh

I can only phone post from work, on my personal phone, some of the time lmao. There are so many manuals that have gone unposted because I couldn't find a publicly available version. All those diagrams, illustrations, maps, will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nobody said it yet, so I will.

lmao, what a reddit rear end war.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

CODChimera posted:

except everyone is just gonna say its fake or leaked on purpose to confuse the russians

having severe flashbacks to the nordstream bombings in which everyone was loudly speculating that it was the Russians themselves who obliterated their single-most powerful geopolitical instrument

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
you should send those manuals to the brave canadian advisors in ukraine. i mean canadas already sent most of the equipment there so what use are the manuals.

slava ukraini

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fits my needs posted:

you should send those manuals to the brave canadian advisors in ukraine. i mean canadas already sent most of the equipment there so what use are the manuals.

slava ukraini

I have a long weekend but on Tuesday I'm very curious to see what the word is and if it's safe to be the Most Right Man in History without getting in trouble. I would love to see these numbers put up against Defeating the Russian Battalion Tactical Group, which I've never really had the numbers to attack empirically. loving "overwhelming the BTG FOOs" like Zapp Brannigan.

JK I'm going to keep my mouth shut but this obviously has implications for land force doctrine.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

I have a long weekend but on Tuesday I'm very curious to see what the word is and if it's safe to be the Most Right Man in History without getting in trouble. I would love to see these numbers put up against Defeating the Russian Battalion Tactical Group, which I've never really had the numbers to attack empirically. loving "overwhelming the BTG FOOs" like Zapp Brannigan.

JK I'm going to keep my mouth shut but this obviously has implications for land force doctrine.

ask cato wifes opinion on the leaked plans

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/NewLeftEViews/status/1643983875440529410?t=dOcnSJVaU8HBtIhKVVi8-g&s=19

Taking bets on the next political guy to get rehabilitated after Mannerheim

My money's on Ferenc Szálasi

"You! Where the gently caress is your chin?"

*Simo Häyhä sobs quietly*

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/NewLeftEViews/status/1643983875440529410?t=dOcnSJVaU8HBtIhKVVi8-g&s=19

Taking bets on the next political guy to get rehabilitated after Mannerheim

My money's on Ferenc Szálasi

Well he is not from Finland but I am wagering on Horia Sima

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fits my needs posted:

ask cato wifes opinion on the leaked plans

She was promoted to a more high profile desk, but I'm Economist-curious enough to wonder about this (if anyone can get past the paywal): Financial Times: Bank of America cuts short conference after outrage at Ukraine comments

Bank of America interrupted an online conference on geopolitics due to criticism of Ukraine and Vladimir Zelensky, writes Financial Times columnist Jonathan Wheatley.

"Two people who participated in the conference said that Daniel Sheehan, senior vice president of BofA Securities (investment banking division under the auspices of Bank of America. — Editor's note) on international relations, criticized Vladimir Zelensky, describing him as a "master of manipulation and parody", about which there were "serious concerns" in the US administration," the journalist said.

Another person described the event as “ruthlessly anti-Ukrainian.” Right during the conference, an American professor of political science accused the US authorities of not being interested in a ceasefire in Ukraine due to "a sharp increase in the EU's energy and military dependence on America."

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Best Friends posted:

I cannot comprehend why those plans would only be secret. it makes me wonder if this is a deliberate leak of misinformation. but then, if you were making it up, you would definitely say top secret. also arguing against it being a deliberate leak: it undermines a lot of the narratives about Ukrainians mowing down endless waves of Untermenschen, and maintaining those narratives is the most important tactical consideration for the west.

It won't undermine those narratives on reddit, which is why I suspect if it is deliberate it is aimed at the governments of the EU to encourage more aid.

Frosted Flake posted:

War with Taiwan gonna go great. Can't wait to get recomissioned for this and die in 15 minutes trying to get guns out of the mud.

I would recommend jail over being exploded.

Frosted Flake posted:

I think it's worth noting that if those numbers are real it seems likely they're not including some combination of Wagner or DPR/LPR casualties. DPR alone has claimed over 4000 killed and while they've probably been getting a lot of poo poo jobs I don't think it's enough for 1/4 of deaths to be from half the Donbass republics. What do I know though?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

She was promoted to a more high profile desk, but I'm Economist-curious enough to wonder about this (if anyone can get past the paywal): Financial Times: Bank of America cuts short conference after outrage at Ukraine comments

Bank of America interrupted an online conference on geopolitics due to criticism of Ukraine and Vladimir Zelensky, writes Financial Times columnist Jonathan Wheatley.

"Two people who participated in the conference said that Daniel Sheehan, senior vice president of BofA Securities (investment banking division under the auspices of Bank of America. — Editor's note) on international relations, criticized Vladimir Zelensky, describing him as a "master of manipulation and parody", about which there were "serious concerns" in the US administration," the journalist said.

Another person described the event as “ruthlessly anti-Ukrainian.” Right during the conference, an American professor of political science accused the US authorities of not being interested in a ceasefire in Ukraine due to "a sharp increase in the EU's energy and military dependence on America."

https://archive.ph/QTOrp

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

https://archive.ph/QTOrp

E: too slow

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The numbers don't align with Russian MoD reports of their own aviation loses, which is kinda weird. I mean, if this is a daily or weekly report, I wouldn't be surprised if the estimates for other side casualties were off but undercounting enemy losses is funny.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

have to confess; i got bored and made these documents for funsies

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

i had to check, but im pretty sure its not THE daniel sheehan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Sheehan_(attorney)

although that would have been pretty lmao

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Trump is gonna have a loving field day. Biden will soon lose two wars in a single term.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That has to be some kind of record.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

leaked plans or not, I still think the future is to continue in fighting the russians to the last ukranian.

If the situation really is as desperate as it very much seems to be, then that is all the more reason why there must be an offensive and escalation. Otherwise all of the death and destruction thus far would be a "waste."

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Trump is gonna have a loving field day. Biden will soon lose two wars in a single term.

Can't lose a war if you don't acknowledge defeat! *taps head*

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

bedpan posted:

leaked plans or not, I still think the future is to continue in fighting the russians to the last ukranian.

If the situation really is as desperate as it very much seems to be, then that is all the more reason why there must be an offensive and escalation. Otherwise all of the death and destruction thus far would be a "waste."

doubling down on the roulette wheel over and over, but only ever on green double 00. it'll have to come up, eventually

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

If Ukraine is in trouble then the Russian situation must be 10 times as bad!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

the democrats are terrible but the gop country wide is not great either

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The numbers don't align with Russian MoD reports of their own aviation loses, which is kinda weird. I mean, if this is a daily or weekly report, I wouldn't be surprised if the estimates for other side casualties were off but undercounting enemy losses is funny.

The aviation losses are what made me decide the whole thing is total bs. Up until the NYT is like "YO THERES LEAKS" anyways lmao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bedpan posted:

Reminder that the last publicly known Ukrainian plan was pretty much everything that's happened so far, a spring offensive towards Crimea, and then drawing NATO into the war as the only way Ukraine can win.

e: Plus terrorist attacks and missile strikes on Russia. The Crimea bridge already transpired, but they were planning to "bring the war home" (to Russian civilians) leading up to the spring offensive and push on Crimea to collapse Russian will. I'm curious why that faltered.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Reminder that the last publicly known Ukrainian plan was pretty much everything that's happened so far, a spring offensive towards Crimea, and then drawing NATO into the war as the only way Ukraine can win.

lol nato troops aren't entering the war. poland would have to go on a purchasing spree for military equipment and sharply increase recruiment... wait, hold on, i'm being passed a note...

oh, well, anyways, good luck poland! i hope you have a good war

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Some Guy TT posted:

Russia-linked deaths since the start of 2022

Toma Waynesky - June 18th - Billionaire linked to Russian political opposition - shot by a mugger after seeing Top Gun: Maverick in Moscow

Marta Waynesky - June 18th - Philanthropist married to Toma Waynesky - also shot by a mugger in the same incident

I hear their son Bruce is now being raised by the butler, and has started taking martial arts very seriously

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

The losses on this page. drat.

For those without blurry vision:
TOTAL ASSESSED LOSSES

Russia
Assessed combat sustainability: moderate
  • 16k - 17.5 KIA
  • 7 fighters/bombers. 8 rotary wing
  • 600 ground vehicles (or maybe 900?)
Ukraine
Assessed combat sustainability: moderate
  • 61k - 71.5 KIA
  • 60 fighters/bombers. 32 rotary wing
  • 21 strategic SAMs; 74 tactical SAMs

edit: for some perspective media has claimed Russia suffering wild casualties like 5k a month or over > 80k total.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Apr 7, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

e: Plus terrorist attacks and missile strikes on Russia. The Crimea bridge already transpired, but they were planning to "bring the war home" (to Russian civilians) leading up to the spring offensive and push on Crimea to collapse Russian will. I'm curious why that faltered.

Maybe they realized bombing media personalities nobody cares about is a waste of effort, or the literal rebranded kgb is catching most of their reddit rear end operators, or both

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

The losses on this page. drat.

For those without blurry vision:
TOTAL ASSESSED LOSSES

Russia
Assessed combat stainability: moderate
  • 16k - 17.5 KIA
  • 7 fighters/bombers. 8 rotary wing
Ukraine
Assessed combat stainability: moderate
  • 61k - 71.5 KIA
  • 60 fighters/bombers. 32 rotary wing
  • 21 strategic SAMs; 74 tactical SAMs

edit: for some perspective media has claimed Russia suffering wild casualties like 5k a month or over > 80k total.

I don't think it says the number of ground vehicles lost for Ukraine, which annoys me regardless of the reality/unreality of this document. It has Russian Ground vehicles but only SAMs lost for Ukraine, show me the Ukrainian ground vehicles lost, what a silly comparison!!

Also I'm pretty sure Russia has confirmed more aircraft losses than 7 fighters and 8 helicopters so that doesn't make sense either

Also, combat sustainability of the two sides is both moderate when one side took literally five times as many KIA and ten times as many aircraft losses as the other?

Something is fishy as hell here yet the NYT confirmed that this leak is basically real so wtf is going on here

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
An offensive towards Crimea seemed like a long shot before but if that document is even remotely accurate, trying to cross the Dneiper would be insane.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

CODChimera posted:

Who would possibly leak that info and why?

it may not even have been intentional. could well be some security clearanced guy realizing he’s going to need to have quick access to the information in the coming days but doesn’t want to carry the wad of papers around with him (the folding makes it look like someone had it in his pocket). then he realizes “hey, I could just take pictures of it and have it on my phone. genius!”

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

someone took a printout off the wall to wrap up a sandwich leftover from the catered lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

OctaMurk posted:

Also, combat sustainability of the two sides is both moderate when one side took literally five times as many KIA and ten times as many aircraft losses as the other?

There's whole manuals on this, but basically its calculated on their readiness and sustainability to perform their intended mission, paper on it here.

In Canadian Army speak: "The capability of a unit/formation, ship, weapon system or equipment to perform the missions or functions for which it is organized or designed. May be used in a general sense or to express a level or degree of readiness."

Right, pair with : "The application of military force at the strategic level necessitates a clear political aim, compatible military objectives, and sufficient military means to attain them. Military objectives are expressed in the form of desired end states, which are the conditions that need to be present at the end of a military campaign in order to achieve political objectives."

and so, you can see if you are fighting a holy war for survival or whatever the gently caress the top level political calculation is, as long as the army stays in the field and NATO continues to provide equipment, ammunition and payroll, and the pool of Ukrainian men is not exhausted, they can sustain that over whatever the overall commander considers a timeframe to conduct this mission.

That would be my interpretation. Neither force is incapable of their missions. The Russians have a force that can continue the SMO and attritional strategy, and the Ukrainian military and NATO supply is deemed sufficient for whatever this campaign is. If the plan is to throw them at Crimea and not break in the meantime, I guess you could say they can keep that going for a while.

Idk, it's an interesting problem. The Ukrainian army and state are unsustainable over the long term, for more reasons than I can list, but as I was saying earlier with the Prussian vocabulary, I don't think they are planning for the long term. That didn't look like a long term plan, there's been no signals of a long term plan, something like a withdrawal to the Dnieper and peace talks. I think, they are going to roll the dice on this one.