Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Escobarbarian posted:

N64 has good models/polygons but awful textures, wasn’t the texture memory extremely tiny

Yeah I think one of the Conker’s BFD devs talked about how insane it was that the game was limited to 32x32 textures or something crazy like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jay Rust posted:

Imho the greatest ps1 games have outlasted the greatest n64 ones…

Undoubtedly, but the memory of the N64 itself as a console experience burns a lot brighter due to how different it was from everything that came before or after.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Shinjobi posted:

I miss it

It came back for a little while and was decent, but it constantly missed publishing dates and eventually went under again.

The current EGM is abysmal clickbait articles and other BS.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Nintendrones trying to categorize Zelda as an rpg in a sad attempt to defeat the “n64 has no rpgs” argument

Paper Mario???

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jay Rust posted:

The 32-bit console wars have reignited…

millennials have awokened from they slumbre

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

Paper Mario???

turn-based adventure platformer

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

When did the eShop start allowing hentai?
August/September 2009

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The scanline filters on the various emulators do a reasonable job of showing things "as they were" to me.

Honestly it's the only way to play Final Fantasy 8 today and have the backgrounds look good.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Don't get me wrong, the N64 had plenty of great games. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, OOT and Majora's Mask, Blast Corps, Body Harvest, Diddy Kong Racing...I enjoyed all of those and more quite a bit. I just wouldn't spend as much time with those games now as I did then, that's all. I was talking poo poo about Castlevania 64, but running from the chainsaw guy in the garden maze will probably be one of my all time favorite video game memories.

I recently tried a PC port of Turok 2, which I'd played obsessively when it came out, and it's just a kind of okay FPS? I remember thinking it was amazing, but times have changed my expectations quite a bit.

At the time, I was definitely a Nintendo fan boy, and had no desire to own a PSX, but looking back, I missed out on a lot of interesting and creative games because of that.

Oh well, now I have a steam deck, so I guess I could pretty easily play them if I want.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here’s one way AI can be cool: uprezzing ps1 ff backgrounds!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah... cool...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Kind of a weird situation but is there a service or something that will like, tell me what games I own?

Today I logged into gog for the first time in forever and had like a dozen games I had forgotten I owned. Glad I didn’t buy new copies of them. But I would love to just have one centralized library where I give it my account names and can search through all my accounts in one place.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ogre Battle 64 owned bones and it even said a cuss

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

tuyop posted:

Kind of a weird situation but is there a service or something that will like, tell me what games I own?

Today I logged into gog for the first time in forever and had like a dozen games I had forgotten I owned. Glad I didn’t buy new copies of them. But I would love to just have one centralized library where I give it my account names and can search through all my accounts in one place.

Microsoft Excel

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
https://playnite.link/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skeletronics posted:

Don't get me wrong, the N64 had plenty of great games. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, OOT and Majora's Mask, Blast Corps, Body Harvest, Diddy Kong Racing...I enjoyed all of those and more quite a bit. I just wouldn't spend as much time with those games now as I did then, that's all. I was talking poo poo about Castlevania 64, but running from the chainsaw guy in the garden maze will probably be one of my all time favorite video game memories.

I recently tried a PC port of Turok 2, which I'd played obsessively when it came out, and it's just a kind of okay FPS? I remember thinking it was amazing, but times have changed my expectations quite a bit.

At the time, I was definitely a Nintendo fan boy, and had no desire to own a PSX, but looking back, I missed out on a lot of interesting and creative games because of that.

Oh well, now I have a steam deck, so I guess I could pretty easily play them if I want.

Turok 2 has the best deathmatch level of all time called H2Whoa and I think it might still be the only FPS with vertical water areas and sweet underwater raptor on spear-gunner action. Actually most FPS still don't give you the option to just play as a raptor.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

forgot what the playdate was called for a second and got really excited before clicking

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hell yeah, thank you!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Redezga posted:

Hell yeah. Just got the best character in Chrono Cross.

Chrono Cross is such an insane ride.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

holy poo poo this fucks

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

skeletronics posted:

im glad we can agree that castlevania 64 is good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok what game has the best skeletons

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

castlevania harmony of dissonance

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
harmony of dissonance has not one but two skeleton caves, zones that are full of skeletons, and made of skeletons

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SMB soundtrack loving SLAPS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir2A4B7vyNU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My vote for “most iconic skeleton” is dark souls 2, the static skeleton in harvest valley who looks like he’s listening to a cliff wall

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Khanstant posted:

Turok 2 has the best deathmatch level of all time called H2Whoa and I think it might still be the only FPS with vertical water areas and sweet underwater raptor on spear-gunner action. Actually most FPS still don't give you the option to just play as a raptor.

I could only ever get my friends to play the multiplayer once. Feels like we really missed out.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I had that cart, it was...difficult

I still have it somewhere. Mostly as a weird trinket because gently caress, what a terrible idea that port was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Dark Souls The Bone Wheels

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
castlevania 64 has skeletons on motorcycles

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
shin megami tensei also has a skeleton (singular) on a motorcycle

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oblivion had really good skellingtons

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
This is a good twitter account

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dark Souls wins because of the “don’t give up skeleton” meme

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Seriously though it’s Grim Fandango

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

haveblue posted:

Seriously though it’s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-EhzAR9GY

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_8F0UhLf8M&t=1122s

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skeletronics posted:

I could only ever get my friends to play the multiplayer once. Feels like we really missed out.

That's how it was with Metroid Prime whichever one added multiplayer. Friends came over and played it for a bit and then we're all better at it than me but didn't like it and they wanted to play Halo or whatever

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Curse may only be the second or third best Monkey Island game on an objective level, but goddamn if it ain't my favorite. The CD-Rom boom aesthetic and charm is just too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jay Rust posted:

I remember years ago PC Gamer doing a whole article about "Holy poo poo look at this skeleton in Daggerfall! Wow... it's... look at the skeleton, folks!"

So my answer is Planescape Torment.