Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

So, um...I'm guessing Scott and Borgman haven't noticed that tube socks and crocs are pretty popular with The Kids These Days, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth is the only one who didn't see this coming.

On the one hand Sally is treating her mother like poo poo, on the other hand her complete incapacity to acknowledge her mother must be some kind of trauma response.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Stone Age Caper

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Vargo posted:

It's really incredible how bad Jules is at villains. I don't even know who this guy is (they've had so many "tech bro" baddies), and I should be all about hating him. Like, I agree with the idea of this bad guy, but it's just so loving clunky.

I've come to two conclusions about this iteration of Mark Trail, completely without any evidence, but they are 1) The daily strips are just filler in between the Sunday strips, where Jules actually makes an effort; and 2) She is targeting the strip primarily if not exclusively to children, hence the paper thin plots based on "rivals" that evaporate into nothing once a strong breeze blows through.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Raskolnikov38 posted:

retirement home, straight to the cheapest dirtiest home you can find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI2-wlJ7apA

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I like this idea a lot.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

MyronMulch posted:

I've come to two conclusions about this iteration of Mark Trail, completely without any evidence, but they are 1) The daily strips are just filler in between the Sunday strips, where Jules actually makes an effort; and 2) She is targeting the strip primarily if not exclusively to children, hence the paper thin plots based on "rivals" that evaporate into nothing once a strong breeze blows through.

I agree with point 1, and point two is plausible, but it's still a pretty lovely children's strip! Like, every strip I post is also targeted to children and they manage to put together a decent story 99% of the time (okay maybe not Heart always), while Jules literally forgets what she has and hasn't introduced to her characters.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Thank God Scarlet was wearing two extra inches of felt on her head or that could have been nasty.

Printing the full home address of several children and advertising they each have a whole dollar.:magical:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

I really thought she was going to have a heart attack in the middle panel.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hippocrass posted:

Thank God Scarlet was wearing two extra inches of felt on her head or that could have been nasty.

Printing the full home address of several children and advertising they each have a whole dollar.:magical:

Comic book letter columns would also publish your address, so other fans could write to you directly.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

I think I'm on Grandma's side here. She should have been consulted before moving her stuff, even if it's only to figure out which stuff she wants at which house.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

EasyEW posted:

even done with the absolute best intentions, this was a terrible thing to do without asking. i'd be freaking out too

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Sakka = slag/dregs
Sakko = fine
Sakoillemme = for our slag/dregs
Sakoillemme = for our fines

ANSU
No Ansu, I gotta scan more :(

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (June 28, 1941)

On The Way Out (June 28, 1941)

Vargo posted:

Cathy Buys a Wedding Dress
It is absolutely surreal to me to see Cathy in the same universe as the internet. I still remember a collection from my childhood where some crazy couple bought a powerful and expensive home computer with sixteen kilobytes of RAM.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 7, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
yeah now sally's mom is just gonna think that her other daughter doesnt want her at her house, there was no winning making it a surprise

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I hate it when people say stuff like this like it means something. Really, I'm likely to get into an accident in the area I drive in the most?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Lockhorns

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
John Allison Doujinshi Theatre Presents:

Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Here, for the next seven weeks, I present a very special project.

I had to move house recently, there were weeks of stress and upheaval, and I didn’t have anything on the slate that I wanted to work on in tricky circumstances – no scripts for Steeple (which was meant to be next up), no fill-in Solver story, or anything else.

So I made the default comic I might have made as a child – an X-Men comic. If it hadn’t worked, you’d have been reading here that I am currently taking “a much needed break”. It’s not a crossover, and it’s not a joke – I tried really hard! If I make an X-Men comic, it’s not going to be a “the guys hang out and have breakfast” comic. There has to be pulse-pounding† action and mutant danger. The things I couldn’t write or draw when I was 13 years old.

But, alas, it is still limited by the fact that it was written and drawn by me. The pleasure, perhaps, is in that tension. I still tried to put a joke or a bon mot on every page. And I did a “Bullpen Bulletins” (including, for the first time, Stan’s Soapbox!)

The whole thing will be up as a PDF on my Patreon on Monday morning. Steeple will be back on May 26th at Steeple.church – I am working on new pages right now. In the meantime, on this website, three or four times a week: KIT + THE WOLF.

Attempted

So this is the next project Allison teased about yesterday (and several weeks ago on his patron). I don't think I need to explain to the thread who Wolverine and Kitty Pryde are, but their adventures were featured in the Chris Claremont era X-Men comics of the late 70's and early 80's, which seems to be the era Allison first read them (and was a little before my own time). To try and familiarize myself with this era I have been reading the Claremont X-Men collections that I could get though my local library. There also was a Kitty Pryde and Wolverine comic series that ran from 84 to 85, but it seems like that's not in the collections I have access to. That series is were Wolverine started to be the go to mentor for young Marvel superheroines.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 7, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
my man trying to collect cease and desists like they're magic cards

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The_Other posted:

John Allison Doujinshi Theatre Presents:

Kit + The Wolf

I can't loving wait

Doomykins posted:

my man trying to collect cease and desists like they're magic cards

If doing a straight-on Batman comic didn't get him... (Though JA has a working relationship with Marvel, that may complicate things. Or help. I honestly don't know..)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House, featuring the type of unsolicited reducing advice that is still part and parcel of the road Buster chose to walk (October 11-13, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (December 16-18, 1920)

HOLIDAY HINT: In case your sweetie is a bashful girl and doesn't seem inclined to venture under the mistletoe.

WHEN LITTLE WILLIE CAME RUNNING UP AS DAD WAS ON HIS WAY HOME WITH THAT TOY, dad tried to hide it from him by holding it on the other side of the fence where there happened to be another little boy just about his own youngster's age.

Dok's Dippy Primer Coat (September 3, 1914)

Little Lefty, featuring the thematic pivot you could see coming from New Jersey. (April 25-27, 1938)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 7, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 4, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 24-25, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 6/25/50

Archie 1/6-8/47

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Schwarzwald posted:

On the one hand Sally is treating her mother like poo poo, on the other hand her complete incapacity to acknowledge her mother must be some kind of trauma response.

Powered Descent posted:

I think I'm on Grandma's side here. She should have been consulted before moving her stuff, even if it's only to figure out which stuff she wants at which house.
Because every attempt to talk to Grandma hasn't famously ended in disaster because she won't stop being a caustic rear end in a top hat for five seconds and say what it is she wants.

someone awful. posted:

even done with the absolute best intentions, this was a terrible thing to do without asking. i'd be freaking out too
This is fair, though.

At some point though, Grandma needs to say what the hell it is she wants. This whole cycle of 'be an rear end in a top hat to my kids -> my kids don't want to talk to me -> be even more of an rear end in a top hat -> repeat' is not on them to break.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Everyone else has rightly overlooked this but I can't. I hate this, I hate Holbrook, and I hate the anthropomorphization of Dall-E or whatever that is going to become a main character who is lawfully coupled and has a child with some other strained tech metaphor Holbrook doesn't understand.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
oh no archie finally printed a racist one

just popeye holding out on the old-timey comics front

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Sheep Mullet, Or "Shullet".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Malachite_Dragon posted:

At some point though, Grandma needs to say what the hell it is she wants. This whole cycle of 'be an rear end in a top hat to my kids -> my kids don't want to talk to me -> be even more of an rear end in a top hat -> repeat' is not on them to break.

Grandma is an rear end in a top hat who's failure to communicate is the source of all her problems, absolutely no question there. (And moreover, is almost certainly some of her chickens coming home to roost.)

All that aside, stealing someone's furniture is, uh, loving theft, and is probably the single worse action either has taken in this recent string of comics. (This is not a criticism of the comic. I am entertained.)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I fail to see how bringing someone’s poo poo to where they are currently living is stealing. If anything Sally’s sister was stealing it by not sending it over earlier

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Stealing? No. But in general, it's a bad idea to handle/move a bunch of someone's poo poo without their awareness or permission. It's about basic boundaries.

There's zero reason for this to have been a surprise, if nothing else.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Drakyn posted:

On The Way Out (June 28, 1941)[/b]

Definitely thought "This kid is dead."

F Minus

Mark Trail

I don't think Jules is making MT with kids as the audience in mind. Too much crypto bro stuff. I think she doesn't know what audience she's aiming for, so she writes whatever she feels like and all the villains are the people that annoy her.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Drakyn posted:

On The Way Out (June 28, 1941)[/b]

:golfclap:

Since I'm playing catch up on this thread, a couple of other comments/questions:

The weird thing about Scarlet getting bonked on the head is that it didn't even affect the plot. Just *pow*, wake up, go right back to following the bike. Like, all the times she got smacked on the butt earlier in the strip I could write off as the author's fetish, but head trauma? That's a new one.

Why does Miles' cell mate look so familiar? Did he use that character or design in an earlier story? I know I've seen it before.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Why would a college kid need help with their libido. At that age I’d gently caress a coke machine if it had a wig on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Doomykins posted:

Lmao Scarlet is like peak human endurance and pain tolerance.

All the head trauma's fried her pain receptors