Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Problem is many of the boomers and the boomer brained in general are essentially hollowed out capitalism elementals to the point there is no meaningful difference

that is true of many in the imperial core, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

wowwww so wise

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

What about that thing where you get your lure snagged in a downed tree in the water where does that fall in this analogy

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Degrowthers btfo

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mastershakeman posted:

i just had to help my friend figure out the ACA website, they still hide the plan view w/o making an account because they dont want people just able to see financial numbers! he's potentially switching jobs to a startup that doesn't offer healthcare and trying to figure out the math on it

the good thing for him is he isn't married to his decade+ partner, so despite her having health care through her job he isn't disqualified from getting a subsidy . I did have to walk him through the delights of projecting future income , mathing out if you can get cost sharing reductions by calculating 140% of the FPL and how realistic that is for his family size, how you can avoid a premium cliff at 400% of federal poverty line by using a tax refund to add contributions to the past tax year's IRA, all the greatest hits! truly it is a technocrat's dream

I recently had to do this for myself when switching to contract work and jesus christ it was a loving confusing process. And then when we finally did settle on a provider the actual price was still different than the ACA website showed and the insurance provider, one we had for years anyway made us go through a totally different web portal to pay for everything vs the normal site where we do our copays and poo poo anyway.

Also we don't really know what we are paying because we don't know what tax benefits we will get until everything settles with taxes bc i dont know if i crossed a threshhold or not.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

he's a liberal now, for shame

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

They should just start a military school program that yanks "troubled" kids out of regular schools under the vague claim it's to reduce school shootings. Then when they graduate they're forced into conscription with way fewer benefits or pay than a regular enlisted soldier.

but enough about the School-to-Prision pipeline!:colbert:

Xaris posted:

for real though nextdoor, Reddit, Facebook , disqus, etc has a big actual “bot” cointelpro type problem. likely it’s not officially government done, but definitely by big businesses and cops

also those are all ai written lol

:lol: for unironically treating "big businesses and cops" and "government" as mutually exclusive concepts

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 07:59 on Apr 7, 2023

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
through Skip Tracing alone the entire existence of the NSA is rendered moot

Portfolio Recovery Services and other Debt Collection agencies are picking up the slack!1!1!1:unsmigghh:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

in hindsight spreading Covid to as many people as possible was the right move

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I think something may have been lost in translation here

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i have converted all my money into YEN (GODS CURRENCY) and before im forced back to the US i will leave broke and with no new personal belongings....

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Special Report: Tesla workers shared sensitive images recorded by customer cars https://www.reuters.com/technology/tesla-workers-shared-sensitive-images-recorded-by-customer-cars-2023-04-06/

Also shared: crashes and road-rage incidents. One crash video in 2021 showed a Tesla driving at high speed in a residential area hitting a child riding a bike, according to another ex-employee. The child flew in one direction, the bike in another. The video spread around a Tesla office in San Mateo, California, via private one-on-one chats, “like wildfire,” the ex-employee said.”

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You know who climbs trees and catches fish? That's right. Bears. Golden cartoon ones. And birds I guess.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

President Xi, establish ecological civilization when ready.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Now show long COVID numbers

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses! (Except Thorn!) I suppose I should have narrowed down what I meant, as I am thankfully already familiar with Marxism, dialectical materialism, Dick Wolff Da Based God, and sorta like the broader ideas of how and why ""'the economy""' and debt and line-go-up all have the logic they have.

I tend to already look at politics and econ stuff from the perspective of "what are the lying dunces at the podium of capital trying to pull over on labor, and what dumb, incorrect formal exercises are they engaging in to avoid addressing the root causal contradictions that are ruining the world." I know the game is rigged and I have a fair sense of how, why, and by whom.

I think these things aren't actually all that mystifying on a basic reality level, but the profiteers of capital have invented a hundred thousand techniques and languages and financial instruments to mystify it and to magic extra zeroes out of the ether by, like, collecting a hundred instances of people betting on how a dozen bets will be bet on and putting them all in the same manilla envelope and calling it a sure thing (SOMEONE'S gotta win in that envelope!) and selling it to people as an investment and then ten years later the economy chokes on its own vomit again.

I more meant, like, literally how do I read a tweet like this:

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1643954369795072005?t=_tbuivdl5mG4C5rTHmD1mA&s=19

Do they think that's good? Do they think it's bad? What do the abbreviations mean? They've chosen to convey this information, I am trying to discern what that info is, why they are conveying it, what they think it means, and what it actually means.

Or like, a tweet like that will say MONEY MARKETS $123, WAS $133, EST $154 and like idk what a money market is but I know I've heard that term a lot lately. I don't know if it's good that they're up or down or different from estimations (or who thinks it's good, and why, rather).

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Palladium posted:

but are they in competitive with the aussies in the 'brown people minigunned down from chopper' ratio

They Aussies only lead in writing their score down

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SlimGoodbody posted:

I more meant, like, literally how do I read a tweet like this:

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1643954369795072005?t=_tbuivdl5mG4C5rTHmD1mA&s=19

Do they think that's good? Do they think it's bad? What do the abbreviations mean? They've chosen to convey this information, I am trying to discern what that info is, why they are conveying it, what they think it means, and what it actually means.

Or like, a tweet like that will say MONEY MARKETS $123, WAS $133, EST $154 and like idk what a money market is but I know I've heard that term a lot lately. I don't know if it's good that they're up or down or different from estimations (or who thinks it's good, and why, rather).

i don't see what's hard about that?

Initial Jobless Claims = New filing for jobless = new people laidoff (vs ppl continuing to be jobless)
228k = 228,000 new claims as of reporting
versus 198,000 previous new claims from last reporting (monthly?)
EST 200k = Estimate by 'experts' was it was 'only' going to be 200,000 claims.

result: there are 28,000 new jobless claims over last month and exceeds expectations = america is doing badly

Continuing jobless claims = continued filing that ppl are jobless
1,823,000 is actual real numbers as of current reporting
1,689,000 was previous numbers as of last reporting (monthly?)
EST 1700k = Estimate by 'experts' was only to have 1,700,000 continued claims

result: there are +134,000 continued jobless claims before and more than +123,000 than expected = america is doing badly

result, more people are unemployed, more people getting laid off, more people are staying unemployed. economy = sick

when you see EST it's "Estimate by Experts/Government/etc"

something like "MONEY MARKETS $123, WAS $133, EST $154" is pretty straight forward. "Experts" proclaimed that Number was going to go up from $133/share -> $154/share, aka 15% increase. instead it went down $133 -> $123, aka 8% drop. economy = sick, experts wrong once again and gaslighting people

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:29 on Apr 7, 2023

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

Whether the person tweeting something is good or bad generally comes down to their ideology. For example to a normal person, the number of unemployed people going up is bad because it means more people struggling financially and a weaker economy. To the fed and to capital in the current situation however it's good because they're trying to intentionally cause a recession in order to suppress wages and punish workers for briefly getting an iota of bargaining power, more unemployed equals less bargaining power for labour.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Xaris posted:

i don't see what's hard about that?

Initial Jobless Claims = New filing for jobless = new people laidoff (vs ppl continuing to be jobless)
228k = 228,000 new claims as of reporting
versus 198,000 previous new claims from last reporting (monthly?)
EST 200k = Estimate by 'experts' was it was 'only' going to be 200,000 claims.

result: there are 28,000 new jobless claims over last month and exceeds expectations = america is doing badly

Continuing jobless claims = continued filing that ppl are jobless
1,823,000 is actual real numbers as of current reporting
1,689,000 was previous numbers as of last reporting (monthly?)
EST 1700k = Estimate by 'experts' was only to have 1,700,000 continued claims

result: there are +134,000 continued jobless claims before and more than +123,000 than expected = america is doing badly

result, more people are unemployed, more people getting laid off, more people are staying unemployed. economy = sick

when you see EST it's "Estimate by Experts/Government/etc"

something like "MONEY MARKETS $123, WAS $133, EST $154" is pretty straight forward. "Experts" proclaimed that Number was going to go up from $133/share -> $154/share, aka 15% increase. instead it went down $133 -> $123, aka 8% drop. economy = sick, experts wrong once again and gaslighting people

The result on the market was rather neutral though since even through employment is slowing, it doesn't seem like it is enough to force the Fed to stop raising rates. Bullard, specifically threw water on the idea that anything was going wrong.

It is likely there will be a recession, but the effect may not be exactly like 2008-9. You may not exactly have a mass rise in unemployment and a complete meltdown but the Fed desperately trying to keep a lid on the situation as the economy stagnates and inflation persists. One thing is that the government is making it clear it is going to bail everyone out no matter how bad it is, but, that is going to implicitly weaken the dollar so it locks the Fed into potentially more rate rises. The country is slowly sinking into quicksand.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
can we also just take a moment to appreciate what a stupid rear end kojima timeline we are in?

the Fed chair person whose job it is to say we're in a perma bull market, eonomy only go up is named Bulltard
the guy who scammed billions of dollars with crypt is named Scam Bankman-Fried
the treasury sec whose job it is to yell at workers for not spending enough excess savings is called Janet Yellen
the billionaire CEO in charge of Jefferies is named Rich Handler

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Xaris posted:

can we also just take a moment to appreciate what a stupid rear end kojima timeline we are in?

the Fed chair person whose job it is to say we're in a perma bull market, eonomy only go up is named Bulltard
the guy who scammed billions of dollars with crypt is named Scam Bankman-Fried
the treasury sec whose job it is to yell at workers for not spending enough excess savings is called Janet Yellen
the billionaire CEO in charge of Jefferies is named Rich Handler

needs a taller ladder

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

legalize bigamy

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

through Skip Tracing alone the entire existence of the NSA is rendered moot

Portfolio Recovery Services and other Debt Collection agencies are picking up the slack!1!1!1:unsmigghh:

Who are those fuckers? I get calls from them all the time but I don't have any debts for them to chase.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Chad Sexington posted:

Who are those fuckers? I get calls from them all the time but I don't have any debts for them to chase.

You're either the victim of identity theft or you have personal info that is similar enough to someone else to the point where companies get you two confused.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

something else that helps with context is looking these numbers up on a aggregator like TradingEconomics.com. Note that on Trading Economics "Consensus" is the same thing as "Est" on Bloomberg tweets, and "Forecast" is TradingEcononic's own prediction. You can click through on any of the stats to see how often they're reported, and generate graphs of historical data for reference. It also lays out the calendar for when new data are released. In about 5 minutes we'll get more JOBS numbers

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

it's more like getting stuck in a hole trying to get honey

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

spacemang_spliff posted:

pretty much the whole of obama's presidency was a crack ping. man I bought into that poo poo hook line and sinker. I remember like thinking we were going to get universal healthcare and get out of dumb wars and actually start giving a poo poo about climate change lmao

never been so owned

:same:

I donated like an idiot too

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

from his address to the WEF at Davos on Jan 17, 2022. longer quote with more context:

President of the People's Republic of China, Xi Jinping posted:

China will stay committed to promoting ecological conservation. As I have said many times, we should never grow the economy at the cost of resource depletion and environmental degradation, which is like draining a pond to get fish; nor should we sacrifice growth to protect the environment, which is like climbing a tree to catch fish. Guided by our philosophy that clean waters and green mountains are just as valuable as gold and silver, China has carried out holistic conservation and systematic governance of its mountains, rivers, forests, farmlands, lakes, grasslands and deserts. We do everything we can to conserve the ecological system, intensify pollution prevention and control, and improve the living and working environment for our people. China is now putting in place the world's largest national parks system. Last year, we successfully hosted COP15 to the Convention on Biological Diversity, contributing China's share to a clean and beautiful world.

Achieving carbon peak and carbon neutrality are the intrinsic requirements of China's own high-quality development and a solemn pledge to the international community. China will honor its word and keep working toward its goal. We have unveiled an Action Plan for Carbon Dioxide Peaking Before 2030, to be followed by implementation plans for specific sectors such as energy, industry and construction. China now has the world's biggest carbon market and biggest clean power generation system: the installed capacity of renewable energy has exceeded one billion kilowatts, and the construction of wind and photovoltaic power stations with a total installed capacity of 100 million kilowatts is well under way. Carbon peak and carbon neutrality cannot be realized overnight. Through solid and steady steps, China will pursue an orderly phase-down of traditional energy in the course of finding reliable substitution in new energy. This approach, which combines phasing out the old and bringing in the new, will ensure steady economic and social development. China will also actively engage in international cooperation on climate and jointly work for a complete transition to a greener economy and society.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Who's ready for another 50 bps bump!

https://twitter.com/JesseCohenInv/status/1644289444541808640

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

pretty much the whole of obama's presidency was a crack ping. man I bought into that poo poo hook line and sinker. I remember like thinking we were going to get universal healthcare and get out of dumb wars and actually start giving a poo poo about climate change lmao

never been so owned

At that time I was hanging around some Euro blogs and one of the old limeys correctly figured out that it's just Tony Blair again. Nothing new under the sun.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

how about the actual numbers instead of just the predictions

economy added fewer jobs than expected, which makes Capital happy, but unemployment unexpectedly ticked down, as did average workweek hours, while labor force participation rate increased.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol at that bsed unemployment rate %

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

webcams for christ posted:

how about the actual numbers instead of just the predictions

economy added fewer jobs than expected, which makes Capital happy, but unemployment unexpectedly ticked down, as did average workweek hours, while labor force participation rate increased.

Rate increase is long way off, but this would be in line with 25

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Mr Hootington posted:

Rate increase is long way off, but this would be in line with 25

First they need a week of pearl clutching over a possible 50 then they’ll flirt with a possible pause until they ultimately settle on 25.

By then the debt ceiling will start to re-enter the news cycle.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nodelphi posted:

First they need a week of pearl clutching over a possible 50 then they’ll flirt with a possible pause until they ultimately settle on 25.

By then the debt ceiling will start to re-enter the news cycle.

Our old friend returns. :unsmith:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don't see .50 happening, but we may just on going up at .25 for at least 2 more meetings. The market is demanding a big drop which I don't really see happening.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I enjoy the economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I don't see .50 happening, but we may just on going up at .25 for at least 2 more meetings. The market is demanding a big drop which I don't really see happening.

we need .50 into many things if you get what i mean