Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's actually "come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

NewMars posted:

It's actually "come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough."

First off: drat how did I never catch that
Second: no, the part I said is Mumbo's eekum bokum chant which is mixed in with the spoilered words.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It both is and isn't mixed in with the eekum bokum chant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc8p2W9Nfik

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Glad to see that this game continues the tradition from Kazooie where enemies will constantly razz (transformed) Banjo about his outfit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bruceski posted:

First off: drat how did I never catch that
Second: no, the part I said is Mumbo's eekum bokum chant which is mixed in with the spoilered words.

There's a bit of well known trivia that the eekum bokum sound effect was just a sound mixed edit of kirkhope saying the full phrase.

I somehow never noticed the full line being so transparent in the mayhem temple theme before today, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

FoolyCharged posted:

There's a bit of well known trivia that the eekum bokum sound effect was just a sound mixed edit of kirkhope saying the full phrase.

I somehow never noticed the full line being so transparent in the mayhem temple theme before today, though.

Huh, I never knew that

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Apologies for this being late, I was traveling home yesterday and had no time to get this posted.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The game audio seems pretty loud in this one, I think it might even be clipping in spots.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm disappointed they didn't speak with the tutorial guys at the kickball stadium. They're actually not tutorial guys and have some funny dialogue.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh God, Glitter Gulch Mine.

I found this world really easy to get lost in, possibly my least favorite world in the game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Cythereal posted:

Oh God, Glitter Gulch Mine.

I found this world really easy to get lost in, possibly my least favorite world in the game.

Agreed. Every time I try to play Tooie, I manage to get through Glitter Gulch Mine and think 'well that was fun time to never touch this again.'

The music kicks rear end, though. And I love the dumb little "yeeha" sound those grublins make. :3:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I didn't mind Glitter Gulch Mine, but it does have way too many sub zones so it's fairly easy to get turned around.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The game audio seems pretty loud in this one, I think it might even be clipping in spots.

Finally went to take a look and oops I forgot to do the audio ducking for the episodes from this session. I'll get that fixed for the rest of GGM.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I don't think we've seen any new moves in all of Mine so far...

It's easily my least favorite level in the game, both because of the navigation issues and my general distaste for Westerns and Western-adjacent media and theming.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 4, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
"You'll feel my merry old sole on top of your heads" still makes me chuckle all these years later.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

AweStriker posted:

You've walked past one Jamjars hatch at least five times.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Fun fact: Old King Coal, Bullion Bill and another character we haven't seen yet were named by readers of Nintendo Official Magazine, basically the UK equivalent to Nintendo Power. They (or possibly Rare) made sure to mention that they got some really crap suggestions for Bullion Bill in particular, but sadly didn't show any of those.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
So what's the over-under on king coal being a Doctor who style time lord, and Chuffy his Tardis? It IS bigger on the inside, twice over even, if you count the cavernous boiler.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

AweStriker posted:

It's easily my least favorite level in the game, both because of the navigation issues and my general distaste for Westerns and Western-adjacent media and theming.

He'll find them.

Eventually.

Maybe.

It's a punishment for your poor taste in media.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Mine is maybe objectively not the best level but it's where I really fell in love with the game as a kid. Temple is fine but a bit basic still and rather condensed, Mine wowed me with its sheer size, the various cool side areas and I really understood here first that you can actually just go from level to level, that was insane to me.

It is true that I was missing a few things here and there and when going back to 100% stuff, I realized I had missed entire areas. The layout is definitely confusing despite having the river as a clear throughline. But that could be a strength as well if you're not obsessing over getting everything immediately - it was absolutely cool as well to find the stuff I had missed the first time around!

Also the music is unbelievably catchy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Oh Canary Mary, how I utterly loathed you as a child. Also have fun always accidentally drill billing instead of ground pounding for the rest of the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The ground-up jiggy remains one of the funniest loving things. It's so clever

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
In a game full of walking talking animals, why did Rare decide to make Mary a horrible Island of Dr. Moreau hybrid?

berenzen posted:

Oh Canary Mary, how I utterly loathed you as a child. Also have fun always accidentally drill billing instead of ground pounding for the rest of the game.

This is funny when you realize that the Beak Buster is almost never used as a puzzle-solving tool in this game- everything that requires you to ground-pound is designed to be a Beak Drill check instead. The limited use of a lot of the moves from the first game is a bummer in general, though I guess focusing on the new stuff makes sense.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

C-Euro posted:

In a game full of walking talking animals, why did Rare decide to make Mary a horrible Island of Dr. Moreau hybrid?

This is funny when you realize that the Beak Buster is almost never used as a puzzle-solving tool in this game- everything that requires you to ground-pound is designed to be a Beak Drill check instead. The limited use of a lot of the moves from the first game is a bummer in general, though I guess focusing on the new stuff makes sense.

The bill drill is literally just the beak buster, but we made you unlock it again and they just made the old version nearly useless.

The new moves are generally pretty original despite just keeping the old set, but that one just sticks out like a sore thumb. It's like it got put in there just to hit a move quota for the mine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

You know it's a UK game because the Bill Drill tutorial rhymes head with Z.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The -ad is silent.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

They didn't update the tutorial dialogue in the Xbox release, just swapped in the Xbox buttons so nothing rhymes anymore. :v:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

You're having a race against a flying creature, in a game where flight is explicitly one of your powers, and you do it via a miner's handcart.

If ever there was a cast-iron excuse to make you fly through rings, this is it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gnoman posted:

You're having a race against a flying creature, in a game where flight is explicitly one of your powers, and you do it via a miner's handcart.

If ever there was a cast-iron excuse to make you fly through rings, this is it.

Honestly, I don't remember flight coming up terribly often in this game in general. I remember it being one of the big distinguishing things of the original B-K, that you could fly around these huge levels without severe restrictions. B-T has its own distinguishing move that I think colors a lot of what you can do instead.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, I don't remember flight coming up terribly often in this game in general. I remember it being one of the big distinguishing things of the original B-K, that you could fly around these huge levels without severe restrictions. B-T has its own distinguishing move that I think colors a lot of what you can do instead.

I'm assuming you're referring to the one that helps prevent further moves like the bill drill that are just relearning the same moved from the first game(which still exists, it's just useless now)?

Because that move was actually pretty great for getting a bunch of cool new moves without stepping on the old one's toes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yes it's me the guy who overlooked Jamjars in the lobby of the depot and figured "we'll get the melee attack at some point later then"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
90s kids will recognize the Ordnance Depot layout as (roughly) Goldeneye's Stack multi-player level :eng101:

E: I don't know that Targitzan's Temple is based on a Rare shooter level but the FPS zone in world 6 definitely is.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 13, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I seriously don't know how you guys like 1st person swimming more. I get motion sick just watching and I don't get motion sickness.

Edit: Also, unsure of how far ahead you've recorded but my advice would be, don't worry about backtracking for stuff at all. Go through everything once and then come back and handle all the poo poo you need to do in one run back through time.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 13, 2023

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I seriously don't know how you guys like 1st person swimming more. I get motion sick just watching and I don't get motion sickness.

Edit: Also, unsure of how far ahead you've recorded but my advice would be, don't worry about backtracking for stuff at all. Go through everything once and then come back and handle all the poo poo you need to do in one run back through time.

I genuinely feel like I have more control when swimming and flying in first person, like I can actually aim where I'm going.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
"I wanna smash my face against that!"

this_lp.txt

Also you kept looking right past the thing you needed to do in the waterfall cave. :v:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

While I can understand Artix's dislike of level 5's colour schema, I personally find that it's made up by having the best transform and dinos. Conversely, I never much liked his favourite level. I found the raining boulder gimmick way too loving annoying for traversing the level unless you rush to disable it right off the bat.

I will also note that I disliked level 4 when I first started playing because I never picked up the fish outside banjo's house when I was much younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
For how much work is required to collect some of the Jiggies in this game, the Jiggie requirements for unlocking new levels are pretty soft; two worlds' worth of Jiggies gets us five levels unlocked. Kind of plays into what Artix was saying a couple of videos ago about this game borrowing cues from Metroidvanias and open-world games, where there's lots to pick up but not as much that's required to be picked up. I can't even remember what you get for 100%ing the game, if you get anything at all.