Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

err posted:

UBI Charitable

They don't even have a website. How interesting. In fact if you don't search very specifically the name is sufficiently generic to give you plenty of unrelated results.

I'm sure that's just all a coincidence and means nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

err posted:

https://techcrunch.com/2023/02/21/the-non-profits-accelerating-sam-altmans-ai-vision/

Altman controls at least two nonprofits, OpenAI and OpenResearch, and has provided funding to a third, not previously reported, known as UBI Charitable.

UBI Charitable’s mission is to research and deploy Universal Basic Income (UBI) programs — the no-strings-attached payouts scheme that futurists like Altman and Musk believe will be necessary when advances in robotics and AI, similar to those being developed by the two technologists, render many human occupations unprofitable. It is already funding at least two UBI schemes.

it's a pretty great hook because it gets him lots of positive media coverage, provides cover for all the evil poo poo Altman is into, distracts from the insane worldview of Strong Longtermism, and all their studies assume as fact that "AI" is right around the corner and will be perfect. and if you criticize it you're a Bad Person

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
AI will fix everything is a great line fed to people not realising AI is going to identify them as the core underlying problem in the equation fed to it.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

UBI as proposed by Silicon Valley VC types is gonna be the kind where every single other social welfare program in the country is eliminated, but hey, at least you get $1,000 a month. Oh, also, now that everyone has a guaranteed $1,000/month, you're never gonna guess how much rent at every single rental unit is going up by.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SlimGoodbody posted:

UBI as proposed by Silicon Valley VC types is gonna be the kind where every single other social welfare program in the country is eliminated, but hey, at least you get $1,000 a month. Oh, also, now that everyone has a guaranteed $1,000/month, you're never gonna guess how much rent at every single rental unit is going up by.

Don't worry. Silicon Valley will solve it the Silicon Valley way they always use.

By borrowing enormous amounts of money at 0% interest from a bank that definitely won't fail.

When kicking the can down the road you really want to punt the sucker good. Give it a really good kick.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

VCs love the PR that funding UBI studies afford them but they would never support a nationwide tax regime to fund such a program at scale.

but there is no strong evidence that UBI would particularly lead to increased rents. UBI is just a transfer payment, like any other cash payment to households in any developed economy with a relatively strong welfare state. So we have loads and loads of data to test the hypothesis. Kindergeld for example hasn't been shown to just line the pockets of Landlords. now I agree that any new transfer payment welfare policy that would be implementated in the USA (pure fantasy) would deserve considerably more cynicsm, but you'd want evidence from actually existing welfare/transfer payments directly being inflationary, otherwise you're just parroting back conservative/libertarian talking points dressed up as concern for the poor

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
UBI is like the movie In Time where once all the poor people all get money (time) the price of a coffee goes from 15 minutes to 30 minutes.

There's more to it of course but basically you can run a money printer but you can't run an apartment or food printer and that's kind of where it breaks down.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

you're literally making the argument that Household Income is the sole driver of inflation

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

webcams for christ posted:

you're literally making the argument that Household Income is the sole driver of inflation

French nobilishly:

So you're saying by sending the peasantry into the paddocks 7 days a week wearing old hessian sacks for clothes as they toil in the mud fields we bring inflation down? Or up?

(titters, drinking wine, having not bathed in a year)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

still not sure what that scenario before we abandoned the gold standard and adopted paper currencies and floating exchange rates has to do with contemporary monetary policy? Is your French noble post-revolutionary? which Republic? or the Bourbon Restoration?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Landlords literally will just go 'they have money that is not going into my pocket' and immediately correct this, and no one will stop them

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

"Hey kids, dad's finally back from the store with his smokes after all these years, and guess what, he got you jobs!"

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Landlords literally will just go 'they have money that is not going into my pocket' and immediately correct this, and no one will stop them

and yet Welfare is good. it's better to give parents money, unemployed their unemployment, disability payments to the disabled, and social security to the elderly. or should we abolish all these programs because landlords simply exist

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

webcams for christ posted:

and yet Welfare is good. it's better to give parents money, unemployed their unemployment, disability payments to the disabled, and social security to the elderly. or should we abolish all these programs because landlords simply exist

I see you are a very serious person

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

as serious as the conversation deserves

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think we should give everyone no money at all but instead one of those multitools from starbound so that everyone views everything in the world, including other people, as nothing more than various forms of metal, wood and meat.

Then just let loose and allow the rule of nature to reign.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
if we just give people money how will their betters know how much better they are?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ArmZ posted:

if we just give people money how will their betters know how much better they are?

If we give the peasants, the serfs, money then they will cease to appreciate their daily gruel in the factory dinner hall.

No Oliver Twist. You cannot have any more. However you can have a good beating to temper your wild appetite. That'll put some discipline in you.

edit - You know I used to think Oliver Twist (the story not the character) was comically evil. Now I see a path for that sort of thing returning. Oh well.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 12:33 on Apr 8, 2023

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

jesus christ it's so hard to dump all your money when food is so cheap. im gonna have to gain some weight to finish offloading all these k's before i gotta head back. worst case scenario i start hiding money in strange locations and check the news for any mentions....

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

net work error posted:

Just like the California ban, I'll believe it when I see it. The only currently feasible option if the nation must have cars is to pump out hybrids because these big battery electrics don't work for the vast majority of people.

Pretend I did a big effort post on public transit but lol that won't happen.

Reducing the ICE to a backup generator until we can create batteries without cobalt/etc is brilliant, which is why nobody wants to. Honestly I'd kill for a cheap (<$20k) hybrid with like 1000 miles of range.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

anonumos posted:

Reducing the ICE to a backup generator until we can create batteries without cobalt/etc is brilliant, which is why nobody wants to. Honestly I'd kill for a cheap (<$20k) hybrid with like 1000 miles of range.

the Toyota ceo got axed because he said this out loud lmao

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

DancingShade posted:

UBI is like the movie In Time where once all the poor people all get money (time) the price of a coffee goes from 15 minutes to 30 minutes.

There's more to it of course but basically you can run a money printer but you can't run an apartment or food printer and that's kind of where it breaks down.

We already live in the In Time world. Look at the hand wringing over inflation and pinning it all on poor people having slightly more. They are already hemming and hawing about tamping down on incomes specifically at the bottom. It's been a raft of ants since the dawn of time.

Edit: Except ants work together.

anonumos has issued a correction as of 13:38 on Apr 8, 2023

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

anonumos posted:

im driving a 3 ton suv and i would also kill for a cheap small hybrid

it costs something like 170 dollars to fill the tank from empty and i absolutely do not need to spend that to drive alone in a automobile with 3 rows of seats when the only benefit i gain from having such a beast is that it's really hard to park anywhere

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

im driving a 3 ton suv and i would also kill for a cheap small hybrid

it costs something like 170 dollars to fill the tank from empty and i absolutely do not need to spend that to drive alone in a automobile with 3 rows of seats when the only benefit i gain from having such a beast is that it's really hard to park anywhere

Have you considered replacing the excess rows of seats with an industrial diesel power generator and additional fuel tanks? Really let 'er rip.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

DancingShade posted:

Have you considered replacing the excess rows of seats with an industrial diesel power generator and additional fuel tanks? Really let 'er rip.

i have not but this seems like the only realistic way forward

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

anonumos posted:

We already live in the In Time world. Look at the hand wringing over inflation and pinning it all on poor people having slightly more. They are already hemming and hawing about tamping down on incomes specifically at the bottom. It's been a raft of ants since the dawn of time.

Edit: Except ants work together.

Also poor people literally give up huge chunks of their lifespan so that rich people can live longer

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

anonumos posted:

Only 600 miles on a tank of gas, but 50mpg is pretty drat good any way you slice it and we are never going to get gas cars to 70mpg no matter what. The Corolla Hybrid got a price cut and is like $23k now: https://jalopnik.com/2023-toyota-corolla-hybrid-drops-price-adds-all-wheel-1849671435

The $20k car is dead and gone, nothing is going to bring it back. Inflation calculator says that 20,000 2018 dollars is $24k now, though.

This is as cheap as we are getting.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
well speaking of that trading in my wifes outlander phev for the new one, luckily for me I got top dollar on the trade in and thanks to them having 20 to choose from on the lot I got it at invoice like the good old days.

The rav4 prime is still unobtainium around these parts and Toyota dealers won’t budge on price at all

Also I think the Mitsubishi is the better vehicle in the class

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
the Kia Rio is still $17k also probably gone after this model year

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I want Honda to bring back an improved version of the crz

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
https://twitter.com/GuardianUS/status/1644385687763034112

some nice reading for you all this weekend - i always enjoy "where they now" for lists like these

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Mad Wack posted:

https://twitter.com/GuardianUS/status/1644385687763034112

some nice reading for you all this weekend - i always enjoy "where they now" for lists like these

:peanut:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

A muffled Richard Nixon voice rumbles from beneath the soil

w-what...?

...price controls?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how the gently caress did altman get where he is today anyway

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Only 600 miles on a tank of gas, but 50mpg is pretty drat good any way you slice it and we are never going to get gas cars to 70mpg no matter what. The Corolla Hybrid got a price cut and is like $23k now: https://jalopnik.com/2023-toyota-corolla-hybrid-drops-price-adds-all-wheel-1849671435

The $20k car is dead and gone, nothing is going to bring it back. Inflation calculator says that 20,000 2018 dollars is $24k now, though.

This is as cheap as we are getting.

Watching people double down on the drive-everywhere multiple-cars-per-household lifestyle even as it becomes increasingly obvious that it’ll be too expensive for them to maintain sooner rather than later has been a real thing to watch over the past 10-15 years.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I'm doing my turbotax free easy simple taxes and its funny how they try to trick you into sharing data by making it look like a 'review' button or sign up for their weird new checking account by getting the refund early and making it the default option. but I'm too good at using the internet for them to trick me

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is an incredibly stupid take. Landlords raise rent as often and as much as they legally can regardless and advertise for new tenants if the current crop can't pay. Rent will go up way more than that the instant it can.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mistermojo posted:

I'm doing my turbotax free easy simple taxes and its funny how they try to trick you into sharing data by making it look like a 'review' button or sign up for their weird new checking account by getting the refund early and making it the default option. but I'm too good at using the internet for them to trick me

use freetaxusa op

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Watching people double down on the drive-everywhere multiple-cars-per-household lifestyle even as it becomes increasingly obvious that it’ll be too expensive for them to maintain sooner rather than later has been a real thing to watch over the past 10-15 years.

Who do you think is double downing on this? Two people work, work from home is not an option, public transportation in their area (pretty much all the US) is too lousy to count on for their work schedule, two cars are required.

That's something that needs to change top down rather than bottom up, people literally can't give up their cars as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Reminder that many landlords are already colluding to fix prices under an app platform which somehow makes that legal and the app tells them to which units to leave empty rather than rent out for less to keep prices high

https://www.propublica.org/article/yieldstar-rent-increase-realpage-rent

The idea that landlords will be forced to lower prices if no one rents their overpriced units doesn’t really hold anymore, the market is entirely manipulated.