Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

loquacius posted:

Decided to try out Outer Wilds but something is hosed up with the launch on the Deck. Like, the Steam icon is still up, but I can hear the game music, and if I hit the steam button I can see the menu for a split second. Quitting and restarting just puts me back in this state. Is this a known issue?

Yes, I know about it. I don't know about them though. this is what comes up with i search for steam official bugs forum https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/discussions/0/ there's got to be a deck one tho
i guess here https://steamcommunity.com/app/1675200/discussions/1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I had to stop playing that also

I'm curious; did you play Alien Isolation, and if so, how far did you get?

That games take the taco for 'most intensely terrifying digital experience'.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/SteamDeckGaming/status/1644029953451630592

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is fantastically wonderful news, and I'd be all over the Halo MCC if I wasn't currently obsessed with both GTA Online and MGSV.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tested FF15 streaming (with Moonlight)

Amazing. Apparently my PC can run it with literally everything maxed out (including stuff like HairWorks) at 60fps and 1080p (as mentioned before, running in 1080 seems to look better). Looking forward to showing this to my friend who likes that game a lot.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

can somebody with a switch pro controller tell me if this is how yours behaves? always connects when you click connect on the deck while holding the recessed "pair" controller button down; rarely connects otherwise.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mescal posted:

can somebody with a switch pro controller tell me if this is how yours behaves? always connects when you click connect on the deck while holding the recessed "pair" controller button down; rarely connects otherwise.

I am not a Deck Haver but that sounds like my experience trying to get my Pro Controller to connect to my laptop every time

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Mine is a tie between isolation and playing RE7 on PSVR.

Virtual reality spooky is a young man’s game. My heart cannot take it.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Well, I finally ran out of space on my 512gb deck thanks to what looks to be shader caches. If I delete these, will they just redownload automatically, or is it only for games currently installed on the deck?

Nevermind, I'm dumb and my kid installed a bunch of games from my library.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 7, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Do I need a sudo password to install chiaki? Want to install that tomorrow.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Downloaded American Truck Simulator
Have it running on high at 40 fps for the most part and this game is perfect for decking it up after surgery!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Deck as a truck sim platform is great. Use the compatibility options to run it with any Proton version instead of the native client and you can crank all the graphics settings up to near max, it's great. Kinda weird the native client runs worse than the proton version!

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Squiggle posted:

Deck as a truck sim platform is great. Use the compatibility options to run it with any Proton version instead of the native client and you can crank all the graphics settings up to near max, it's great. Kinda weird the native client runs worse than the proton version!

Hey good to know!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Saoshyant posted:

Is there a reason why a certain game isn't loading its save from the Steam Cloud when running on the Deck? I was halfway through a VN and haven't touched it in a few months because long hours reading while seating at the desk isn't a good time anymore, but when I loaded in on the Deck, its save isn't there so I would have to start all over apparently?

1) is this common?
2) is it easy to manually transfer the save file from the computer?

Commander Keene posted:

Check to see if the game in question has a native Linux port, because often the saves aren't cross-compatible. You can enable "Force specific Proton version" in the "Compatibility" tab of the game settings menu to have the Deck use the Windows version, which should have it download your save.

This has been the answer for me each time it happened. Linux/Windows saves are segregated, but if you force Proton, you run the windows version and the cloud saves will show up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got to the alien nest at the end and turned it off because it got really boring. I didn't find it scary at all.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Well, I finally ran out of space on my 512gb deck thanks to what looks to be shader caches. If I delete these, will they just redownload automatically, or is it only for games currently installed on the deck?

Nevermind, I'm dumb and my kid installed a bunch of games from my library.

Deck Cleaner can move those to the SD card for you.
https://github.com/MiaPepsi/DeckCleaner/releases

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

RandolphCarter posted:

Do I need a sudo password to install chiaki? Want to install that tomorrow.

No, you just download it and install it as a Steam game. There are easy guides out there. It was the 2nd thing I did on my dekc and it was very easy.

You do need your PSN ID in a special format though and there are several ways to get it. The how-to-videos usually offer a way.

I didn't want to do python stuff so I just googled it and there is some website you enter your account name into (only, not the password), it returns the correct value.

If you feel that's unsafe just create a new profile on your PS5 with a throwaway account dedicated to streaming and use that one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Commander Keene posted:

Check to see if the game in question has a native Linux port, because often the saves aren't cross-compatible. You can enable "Force specific Proton version" in the "Compatibility" tab of the game settings menu to have the Deck use the Windows version, which should have it download your save.

FishMcCool posted:

This has been the answer for me each time it happened. Linux/Windows saves are segregated, but if you force Proton, you run the windows version and the cloud saves will show up.

Yes! That was it! Got the game resuming properly from the old save again, thanks both.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I like to game with my bluetooth headphones paired with my deck and my phone paired with my deck and using that setup to listen to podcasts and game audio at the same time. I know there are at least a few others that do this because this thread is how I found out you could.

Sometimes I get horribly choppy phone audio when I do this and I'm trying to think of any other steps to try and fix it. The audio lags and stutters like it might if you have headphones at the edge of its BT range. I've tried changing the audio codec on my phone, turning off "HD Audio", disconnecting and reconnecting, unpairing and repairing, nothing works.

The odd part is that it isn't all the time but when it is in that state it seems hard to shake it out of that state. Quitting games doesn't do it, sometimes a system restart seems to, but still isn't clear.

Thoughts?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Rolo posted:

Mine is a tie between isolation and playing RE7 on PSVR.

Virtual reality spooky is a young man’s game. My heart cannot take it.

If you have the ability to do so..........Isolation with the VR Mod is brutal, I played it for a while until i was hiding under a teble and out of nowhere the aliens tail dropped down in front of me............and i needed fresh underwear

My deck has arrived unfortunately im at work until 8pm and cant get at it

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

oh, i didn't understand why that was fixing cloud saves. good info. quoting to add to faq

i think there's a few things that go wrong with cloud saves. fwiw, i remember somebody posting in a thread about how most devs don't implement it to valves specs, use the wrong folder or something that works for most users but not all

edit:
how come when i open chrme through steam in desktop mode it doesnt have my controller profile

Mescal fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 7, 2023

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

This is fantastically wonderful news, and I'd be all over the Halo MCC if I wasn't currently obsessed with both GTA Online and MGSV.

For anyone trying this and having issues, it turns out they swapped the launch settings for EAC enabled/disabled, so in order to launch MCC WITH EAC, you have to set the launch setting to EAC DISABLED.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal posted:

can somebody try this? linux thread asked if this was a just-me problem.

i'm researching bluetooth. this paper has a glossary of terms that might help me. [url]https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JQ5k9U5j6zsJ:https://digital.wpi.edu/downloads/pg15bh521&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us[/url]

i'm convinced that one of the problems--the deck and some controllers disagreeing as to what counts as a "connect pls" signal--is totally fixable.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Is it ok to ask for game recommendations in here?

I'm looking for an FPS shooter that works well on the steamdeck, and doesn't require me to be online (I have a very long plane journey ahead of me). I've previously enjoyed COD (all of them), Titanfall 2, Doom + Doom Eternal, Dying Light, Serious Sam (all of them), Far Cry 4/5, all the Wolfenstein games. I'm not big on stealth games, or hand-to-hand combat. Can anyone suggest something for me to check out next? Thanks!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Halo!

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Oh interesting - I've never played Halo. Is the Master Chief Collection the right one to get?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

an actual cat irl posted:

Oh interesting - I've never played Halo. Is the Master Chief Collection the right one to get?

It was just Deck certified this week. Reach looks great.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I'm looking for an FPS shooter that works well on the steamdeck, and doesn't require me to be online (I have a very long plane journey ahead of me). I've previously enjoyed COD (all of them), Titanfall 2, Doom + Doom Eternal, Dying Light, Serious Sam (all of them), Far Cry 4/5, all the Wolfenstein games. I'm not big on stealth games, or hand-to-hand combat. Can anyone suggest something for me to check out next? Thanks!

Dusk is great and controls well on the deck out of the box

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Beastie posted:

It was just Deck certified this week. Reach looks great.

:wow: that is awesome news

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Prodeus

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I played a bunch of Borderlands 1 on the deck. It scratches the looter itch while still looking and playing great. Performance is solid 60fps.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bluetooth audio sucks a fat donkey dick.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'm starting to get into Prey's game-sized DLC Mooncrash and it runs amazing, just turn off the half-shader option to fix text in the menus

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Far Cry 6 is the best one by a mile.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is a new one I have never seen. I find clicking L3 to run on Deck sort of awkward, so I always map it to L4 because run feels way better on a back button to me. Picked up Death Stranding in this months humble and immediately mapped click L3 to L4 and...it does nothing. I've tried remapping multiple times, restarting but I can't get it to work. I have never had this issue with any other game. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Also holy poo poo that game looks good on Steam Deck.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
My SD Card doesn’t arrive until later today….so I thought I’d try getting remote play working for my PS5 I added Chiaki and got it working, I’ve found that it freezes quite easily and the sound is crackly, I’ve messed around with some settings but as yet have not found a solution….does anyone have any advice???

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sounds like maybe it’s your wifi?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dramicus posted:

I played a bunch of Borderlands 1 on the deck. It scratches the looter itch while still looking and playing great. Performance is solid 60fps.

BL2 is everything BL1 is, except done better. I haven't played the pre-sequel or 3 yet, though.

Edit: also, while I haven't played Halo MCC, I have played most of the content available in it (the only game I didn't completely finish was 3), and as long as it works with the deck, I can't see it being a bad purchase.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 8, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gaz2k21 posted:

My SD Card doesn’t arrive until later today….so I thought I’d try getting remote play working for my PS5 I added Chiaki and got it working, I’ve found that it freezes quite easily and the sound is crackly, I’ve messed around with some settings but as yet have not found a solution….does anyone have any advice???

Describe the network environment for us. Is the ps5 plugged in to Ethernet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

For Vampire Survivors, does the title screen look like artifacted garbage to anyone else? I am 100% good with pixel art, no problems there, so the rest of the game seems fine. However, the title screen just looks like there isn't proper integer scaling or there's major aliasing or something. Is that just how it is, or is there some sort of setting I'm missing that smooths literally any of it out? Even the text looks unevenly pixelated.

It looks bad, y'all.