Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Fivemarks posted:

Īsā ibn Maryam.

fify (we should really play it safe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Hang on, what are the Anglo-Saxons doing in Iceland?

edit: They've been there the whole time??

oh wow, I have no idea how I missed that. I'll fix it to something more sensible, maybe plop a bunch of Romans there

hashashash fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 6, 2023

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

NewMars posted:

I just looked at the map and it looks like the narrow sea kingdom is facing problems too. Welp.

No longer a problem to care about, and that is good because there are far more interesting problems here.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

hashashash posted:

oh wow, I have no idea how I missed that. I'll fix it to something more sensible, maybe plop a bunch of Romans there

LMAO I thought you did that on purpose, like an Icelandic Anglo-Saxon invasion was one of the later shake-ups you were hinting at.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

LMAO I thought you did that on purpose, like an Icelandic Anglo-Saxon invasion was one of the later shake-ups you were hinting at.

it is kinda funny, i might just roll with it and see if they can do anything impressive in eu4

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

hashashash posted:

it is kinda funny, i might just roll with it and see if they can do anything impressive in eu4

Anglo-Saxon invasion of the new world. however you say Vinland in Anglo-Saxon.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

how in the world are they anglo saxons anyway, the place where anglo saxons would be invented is full of punics

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Tulip posted:

how in the world are they anglo saxons anyway, the place where anglo saxons would be invented is full of punics

the angles and saxons went to britain, found it full of Punics, and decided to keep sailing

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

hashashash posted:

the angles and saxons went to britain, found it full of Punics, and decided to keep sailing

the dozen druids living there beforehand were shocked when they arrived to be sure

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

hashashash posted:

Good call.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Part 8 — To the Holy Land — 855 to 875

Not so long ago, they numbered only a few dozen. Denounced by their family, abandoned by their allies, exiled from their homes, they were forced to gather under the cloak of secrecy and stealth in a remote oasis-town in Arabia, with only their fervent faith as their shield.

And now, in a frenzied flood of steel and blood, the religion of Muhammad has poured forth into Persia, into Egypt, into Mesopotamia, into the Holy Land, issuing a simple ultimatum to any they come across — convert, or submit, or die.

The bedouin that wandered the deserts of Arabia and Sinai were the first to submit…

…followed by the factious princes of Egypt…

…and the proud lords of Persia…

But the greatest test that faced the Caliphate — or “successors” to the Prophet — took the form of the Seleukid Empire, a great power that had weathered the Diadochi Wars, flourished during the Dark Ages, outlasted their perennial enemies in the Ptolemies…

Only for the zealous warriors of nascent Islam to annihilate them in pitched battle, again and twice again, and then plunder the wealthy capital of Seleucia-on-the-Tigris and plunge the Seleukids into a civil war that would see the dissolution of their empire, the decline of their power, and the near-extinction of their dynasty.

Thus, with the dawn of the year 855 — or about 250 years after the death of the Prophet — the empire of the Caliphate was in the ascendance, destined to make war and make conquest until the Day of Days and Last Judgement was come, and all the world had proclaimed that there was no God but God and Muhammad was his Prophet.

The political order in the Holy Land was very different from in Europa, where the High King wielded autocratic power, or in Great Carthage, where the citizenry had elected their own Suffets, or even Nova Roma, where the god-king had been absolute in authority.

In the Holy Land, the feudal order reigned paramount — peasants were tied to the land; de jure counts and dukes paid lip service to their lieges whilst de facto ruling in their own right; kings and emperors were locked in a struggle that would determine the fates of their peoples, their cultures, their religions…

This was the world that Adonibaal was thrust into.

Adonibaal was amongst the youngest of Elissa’s children, borne from a brief liaison with a Britonnic druid. Though he had lived most of his life without rights or expectation, his courage in battle and siege in the final hours of his mother’s life led to his legitimisation, making him a member of the Mago dynasty.

Thus, in her memory, he named his newborn house ‘Elissa’, and into his heraldic badge he incorporated the lion of Adonibaal, the ship of Elissa, the elephant of Old Carthage, and the citadel of New Carthage —

Apart from his own hard-won name, however, he had little else — only a small town by the name of Gazza, surrounded on every side by the banners and swords of the Great Caliph…

That is, on every side except one —

There was only one thing he could do.

Adonibaal took his immediate family, travelled by horse to the city of Beirut, and there he swore fealty to the so-called Malik — the ancient Caananite word for king — of Phoenicia.

This king was the heir to far greater, far more capable men, who had forged his kingdom and fended off the forces of the Great Caliph for almost a century… but with this king, this malik, that would surely not last. He himself enjoyed the pleasures of court, the feasting and hunting, the poetry and sagas, to the rigours of ruling and war-making.

And as it happened, that was precisely what Adonibaal was hoping for.

Adonibaal quickly set to bringing the king under his influence, swaying him and bribing him with precious gifts and rare artifacts.

Proving to be particularly malleable, it was only a few months before the king appointed Adonibaal as his steward, and just a few months after that he awarded him with the right to rule and collect taxes in the county of Jaffa.

All that was well and good, but Adonibaal knew he could not wholly rely on the king for his advancement. So using the new moneys raised from Gazza and Jaffa, he began recruiting men-at-arms (mostly armoured footmen and light horsemen) that would form the core of his own personal army.

And he dispatched this growing army to raid and harry at the minor lords of Cilicia — Seleucia, Tarsos, Lycia and their ilk.

Adonibaal also found his populace proving increasingly unruly. They detested being ruled by a foreigner and infidel to boot, and the tensions frequently exploded into murderous riots.

Above all, however, Adonibaal was a practical man. He knew when to resist and when to bend, when to fight and when to yield — and so, in the year 860, he announced to his courtiers and population that he would be embracing the native religion of Judaism!

This was met with great fanfare, not only in Adonibaal’s own counties, but in the royal court at Beirut as well, where Adonibaal had become one of the king’s favourites, and he rewarded this conversion with greater powers —

This is when Adonibaal began making bolder moves. He expanded his retinue to 2000 men-at-arms, which together with his levies made him the most powerful lord in Phoenicia.

And then he dispatched his chancellor to fabricate claims on rich provinces in Tripoli, Acre, Tiberias and , and when he approached the king with these obviously-falsified claims in the years 865 and again in the year 870, the king was forced to surrender the lands and their incomes to Adonibaal, or else risk a war he could not win.

At the same time, Adonibaal dispatched instructions for his forces in Cilicia to take more authoritative action — to capture and tax the towns they besieged, rather than simply exact tribute.

Thus, when Adonibaal breathed his final breath in the year 875, he had emerged as the largest landowner in the kingdom, as the most powerful lord in Canaan and Galilee, as the power behind the throne of Phoenicia…

The lands of the Elissa dynasty within the kingdom of Phoenicia.

All of which he left to his sons, Yehomilk and Yavdi.

Just a few miles beyond the coast, meanwhile, the Great Caliph al-Mansur is succeeded by his son, al-Nasr.

Famed for his learning, and highly accomplished in diplomacy, economy and intrigue, the Great Caliph does not have much of an affinity for martial endeavours… but surely it cannot be long before the thousand thousand ghazi of Islam are marching for Phoenicia, banners fluttering and swords bare and voices raised with the call of jihad against the infidel.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 10, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think there's an image missing after the mention of Yehomilk and Yavdi

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

:killing:

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

I think there's an image missing after the mention of Yehomilk and Yavdi

woops, fixed

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
That guy has learning 53? I didn't know the scale went up that high for naturally-occuring characters. Also amazed out how quickly our guy hollowed out Phoenicia like some wasp larva in a caterpillar.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Innocent_Bystander posted:

That guy has learning 53? I didn't know the scale went up that high for naturally-occuring characters. Also amazed out how quickly our guy hollowed out Phoenicia like some wasp larva in a caterpillar.

yep, he's sort of insane -

also, i won't lie, i have absolutely no idea how we're supposed to take him/the Caliphate on. i can wait a while to see if they weaken, but... let's just say that's not looking very likely

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
56 learning whilst stoned out of his gourd.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
That's the kind of person who'll casually invent some ridiculous thing that'll revolutionise his entire bloody country while he's high as a kite. Good loving lord.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Oh poo poo. This is going to be fun

CK3 continues its predecessor's ability to generate weird and fascinating historical figures, I see

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Lynneth posted:

That's the kind of person who'll casually invent some ridiculous thing that'll revolutionise his entire bloody country while he's high as a kite. Good loving lord.

welp, time to import a special little event from ck2...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

hashashash posted:

also, i won't lie, i have absolutely no idea how we're supposed to take him/the Caliphate on. i can wait a while to see if they weaken, but... let's just say that's not looking very likely

I think the main thing we've learned so far is how powerful the strategy is of entering a larger realm as a vassal with the same intent as a xenomorph larva slithering down a host's throat.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

I think the main thing we've learned so far is how powerful the strategy is of entering a larger realm as a vassal with the same intent as a xenomorph larva slithering down a host's throat.

that was the plan, but unfortunately Adonibaal's heir is a bit of a zealous nuthead, so wouldn't make much sense to swear fealty again

hashashash fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 9, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Not only is he at 56 learning despite being stoned out of his gourd, he's only getting +1 from his wife. This dude is the goddamned House of Wisdom all by himself.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Man, we should've been playing this guy instead, jeeze.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I mean hey, maybe we can keep skirting our way around the coastline of Anatolia to keep us safe.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

hashashash posted:

that was the plan, but unfortunately Adonibaal's heir is a bit of a zealous nuthead, so wouldn't make much sense to swear fealty again

Well, as long as he's not actually the King of Phoenicia, just effectively so, it's not technically his call.

(He takes over Phoenicia in fairly short order, doesn't he...)

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 9, 2023

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

(He takes over Phoenicia in fairly short order, doesn't he...)

sorry

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
There's an element of luck in not becoming the Umayyad's next meal but I appreciate how well that was played. Having just spent a couple hours failing to get a good run of Jewish horse archers going as that one Rabbinic count in the Caucasus has given me a good appreciation for how many ways you can screw up as a minnow in a sea of sharks in CK3.

GunnerJ posted:

Sounds good, no doubt no one has ever run into trouble trying to become Caliph in place of the Caliph.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

was looking around the map, and turns out the Gisgos are still alive!

jewish as well, they've got that religious protection clause in their vassal contract

he's also got some mad learning, so i'm assuming there's a bit of a golden age going on in the caliphate

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Giscos stay winning

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Caliphate putting together a team to invent 1 (one) handgun.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Maybe we should swear vassalage to this Caliph guy instead.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We're zealous, so probably not willing to convert, but if our immediate next-door neighbor is a prosperous Jewish Emir with respectable holdings and a guarantee of religious liberty from the Caliph then that's a pretty drat strong argument to try and get a similar deal for ourselves. We've got a respectable Jewish family to marry into right there next door so the faith stays alive into the next generation, and if we ever decide it is time to revolt against the Caliph, all the better to have an ally next door than go alone.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

well I gave it a shot, but they're not interested --

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
ruh roh.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wait, did they get a woman Caliph? I've seen it before but I'm always confused how.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Whelp, its been a good run. Someone in the family was bound to get martyred sooner or later.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Rejected Fate posted:

Wait, did they get a woman Caliph? I've seen it before but I'm always confused how.

They didn't. That appears to be a female ruler of Phoenicia. So at some point after the last update, Hash must have taken over Phoenicia and the heir apparent either died or abdicated to whoever that woman is.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Rejected Fate posted:

yeah its a bit of a spoiler but thats our ruler, we get her in the next update under completely un-mysterious circumstances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015
Admittedly, a balance of -8 for swearing fealty under high obligations seems like it could be overcome by showering the Caliph with praise and gifts. The speed at which you cored out the Phoenician realm points to the value in throwing resources at buddying up to the Umayya to gain protection-by-vassalage. Harder for them to protect against a call coming from inside the house! The family is overdue for a revolution, in any case.